Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Harman Kardon owns just about all premium audio systems in the automotive world. B&W, B&O, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Revel to name several.
Tata owns Range Rover, so....
... that's why they are more at the dealership than on the road ??? 😂
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:40 PM   #68
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e
... that's why they are more at the dealership than on the road ??? 😂
You can say what you want about their reliability. But RR is still a rock solid status symbol and if you're lucky to have all systems functioning, it does a much better job off-road than our rides. The point is, Tata is one of the most unscrupulous, low rent companies on the planet and they own that brand just for the luxury stake. Harman Kardon owning their plethora of mass market and boutique upscale brands is no different, as long as they leave the brands alone.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      02-27-2021, 10:56 PM   #69
Kyohmara
Registered
Rep
Drives: G05 2019

Bowers and Wilkins troubleshooting

I am experiencing quite an issue with my B&W audio system.

Six months ago, without any apparent reason, all the speakers simply died, except the tweeters.

Went to the dealership to have the system checked but, without any apparent reason, the whole system came back on line.

The X5 has been three times on the dealership shop for the same reason, they simply cannot find/explain what is going on.

The audio goes and comes back without any apparent reason/trigger.

A few days ago, the system crashed again but this time, it hasn't returned, just the tweeters.

Any ideas? Solutions? Has anybody exoerienced the same issue?

Pretty f****** annoying for the best audio system available for the brand, if you pardon my french.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 01:11 AM   #70
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Considering I drive with my volume under 25% all the time and mainly listen to howard sterm and 90's on 9, no...I shouldn't lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #71
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyohmara View Post

Six months ago, without any apparent reason, all the speakers simply died, except the tweeters.

Went to the dealership to have the system checked but, without any apparent reason, the whole system came back on line.

The X5 has been three times on the dealership shop for the same reason, they simply cannot find/explain what is going on.

The audio goes and comes back without any apparent reason/trigger.

A few days ago, the system crashed again but this time, it hasn't returned, just the tweeters.

Pretty f****** annoying for the best audio system available for the brand, if you pardon my french.
Sounds like some sort of general electrical problem - short, fuse, loose connection(s), wiring fault, since SOME of the speakers in fact activate and work. The fact that it exists and your dealership can't find it only speaks to their inexperience or lack of expertise. You might try another dealer if convenient.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #72
Kyohmara
Registered
Rep
Drives: G05 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Sounds like some sort of general electrical problem - short, fuse, loose connection(s), wiring fault, since SOME of the speakers in fact activate and work. The fact that it exists and your dealership can't find it only speaks to their inexperience or lack of expertise. You might try another dealer if convenient.
Will try that route.

The dealership told me they put a PUMA or something like that on the BMW international system since this is the - allegedly - first case they have found with B&W.

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 1
Paladin15527.00
      03-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #73
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
B&W didn't make the car that is attached to it. Electrical fault or possible fuse/relay oriented but no clue.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      03-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #74
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitallycheck View Post
I had a chance to compare B&W and B&O. Jumped temporary from G30 to F15 and hell yes, I hear difference. B&W provides with more clear and deeper sound, more bass and setups. There are a reasons BMW chose them.
How did you do this A/B testing? Seems a little doubtful to me that the B&W is both clearer and deeper bass at the same time. B&O and B&W are very similar in quality but with different DSP equalization. Might be a placebo effect based on what you own...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:39 PM   #75
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I had an issue sorta like this on my F15 HK system. The sound would go out completely on all of the speakers, including the chimes. But it would also come back. I was hoping and praying that it would be dead when I took it to the dealer and could show them and sure enough I did. They played with on three separate occasions and eventually they figured out the problem: the amp was dying. Replaced the amp and its been fine ever since. So it could be one of the amps that needs to be replaced. Hope you find a solution soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #76
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Here is a simplified review why it is named THE best audio system you can buy. The X5 system is a bit different but you get the idea.

Seems like an advertisement. Starts with the same technology as what is used in Abbey Road Studio, where the Beatles recorded and military-grade materials and uses the same approach as the Nautilus that costs $60K/pair in the US. All for $3,500 where BMW is likely making a cut of the margin. I doubt the B&W in the X7 is the same type of speaker as in Abbey Road or BBC or what you get for $60K...just saying.

These are probably good speakers, but the setup clearly makes them much more than they are.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #77
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpitt View Post
I have been wanting to post a bit on this topic, but want to avoid the polarizing topic a bit. So I will start with the standard caveats. Audio is subjective, car is of course not the best acoustical environment, and people can prioritize the money they spend regardless of how much they have or the percentage of the car's value. Have I missed anything?

Now here are my thoughts. First I don't think that you can compare systems from car to car. So when I say that I really liked the B&O system in my Audi A6 better than the B&W system in my 45e, I don't think that is the same as someone saying the B&W system in this BMW is better than the B&O system in a previous BMW. This means the B&O systems are clearly different from car to car.

As stated in a previous post, I think the B&W system is plenty loud and quite clear. But it is not as full or warm sounding. It misses for me mid-bass and deep bass. Here is my problem. I have the feeling that BMW put speakers in the car. Then when it came time for the upgrade, they simply asked HK to build some nicer speakers (nicer materials or magnets) and of course replaced two of the tweeters with the B&W diamond ones. But they just dropped them into the door openings. Everything else is just DSP.

For comparison, here is a picture I found on the internet of the B&O system from the A6. What you will notice is that the speakers in the front are 2 bass woofers, 2 mid-bass speakers, and of course the raising tweeters. You will also notice that they are in enclosures. Even the rear door speakers have enclosures. And of course, the subwoofer has a real enclosure. By contrast, the B&W system has 20 speakers non of them really in any kind of enclosure, and most of them just the same tweeters and smaller mid-bass. I think this is why the sound is not as full.

I would rather have fewer speakers and more full-range, especially for the large upgrade price. (4400 euros, 5400 USD in Germany) I also feel there is only so much you can do with DSP. I guess at least the B&W lights up with colors.
You are exactly correct. Without the proper enclosure, you are not going to get audiophile quality sound. It is not possible. There is a lot of DSP going on and here and you're paying (mostly) for the nicer grills and light effect. I found the reference to the Fibonacci pattern in the grill as a reason for the audio improvement funny as well.
Appreciate 3
volodp196.50
      03-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #78
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I really do enjoy how you people bend over backwards writing dissertations to trash this system.

Anyone who thinks you can build an audiophile system in a car is an absolute moron. None of us here who have this system in our builds is expecting that. It's simply one of best sounding OEM systems you can order from the factory. But please PM me your mailing addresses and I'll be happy to ship you some sour grapes. 😂😂😂
Appreciate 5
iconoclast7262.50
MystroX56283.50
edtreo88.50
FCX52365.50
An261030.00
      03-01-2021, 09:42 PM   #79
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

I only regret that B&W looks more cool than H&K, on the other side the lacking of an acoustic glass on X5 in US neutralizes the B&W sound benefit over H&K.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #80
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I really do enjoy how you people bend over backwards writing dissertations to trash this system.

Anyone who thinks you can build an audiophile system in a car is an absolute moron. None of us here who have this system in our builds is expecting that. It's simply one of best sounding OEM systems you can order from the factory. But please PM me your mailing addresses and I'll be happy to ship you some sour grapes. ������
Agreed. This is a great system in a car and looks cool. Plus if you lease (which most US buyers do) you are only paying 46% of the cost over 3 years.

Since there is not much difference in the price of a used X5 with or without the premium speakers, I guess the rest of the price is eaten by BMW.

So unless you buy X5 new, the actual cost of the B&W system is quite reasonable for what you get.

Last edited by FCX5; 05-18-2021 at 05:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      03-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #81
9uman9y
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9uman9y View Post
Just to share FYI. Started as a separate thread as was not clear initially that the issue related to B&W system:

X5 45e - Strange noise from all mid-range and 3D B&W speakers https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1750143
A small update. BWM engineers recognized that B&W does produce an audible unpleasant noise from all mid-range speakers as if there noise coming with unfiltered power supply to one of the amps.

It is audible when nothing is playing / between tracks/ quiet movie scenes. Put your ear next to any mid range speaker (eg in one of the doors) and you will know what I mean.

Afraid all B&W on X models can be affected. Both, my 2020 X5 and 2021 X7 have that. Dealer advised that their cars with B&W have it. BWM hears that on their cars. However, to date no technical solution exists, B&W engineers admitted that after internal checks. Prior to that replacing both amps did not help.

The only "solution" was a ~1k compensation offered by BMW, token compared to the price paid (x2 in my case).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #82
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
I only regret that B&W looks more cool than H&K, on the other side the lacking of an acoustic glass on X5 in US neutralizes the B&W sound benefit over H&K.
I disagree.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      03-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #83
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
A small update. BWM engineers recognized that B&W does produce an audible unpleasant noise from all mid-range speakers as if there noise coming with unfiltered power supply to one of the amps.

It is audible when nothing is playing / between tracks/ quiet movie scenes. Put your ear next to any mid range speaker (eg in one of the doors) and you will know what I mean.

Afraid all B&W on X models can be affected. Both, my 2020 X5 and 2021 X7 have that. Dealer advised that their cars with B&W have it. BWM hears that on their cars. However, to date no technical solution exists, B&W engineers admitted that after internal checks. Prior to that replacing both amps did not help.

The only "solution" was a ~1k compensation offered by BMW, token compared to the price paid (x2 in my case).
Could be a ground loop issue.
https://www.audioholics.com/home-the...m-hum-and-buzz
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #84
Reindeer14
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X5 (currently F15, next G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtreo View Post
Quote:

Could be a ground loop issue.
https://www.audioholics.com/home-the...m-hum-and-buzz
Hi all, I am in the process of ordering a new G05 including the B&W upgrade. Does anyone know if this issue that is confirmed by the BMW engineers is solved on new cars that will be produced in the future?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #85
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reindeer14 View Post
Hi all, I am in the process of ordering a new G05 including the B&W upgrade. Does anyone know if this issue that is confirmed by the BMW engineers is solved on new cars that will be produced in the future?
I don’t hear the noise on my 2020 X7M50i. I would certainly get the B&W if your on the fence.

Last edited by MystroX5; 05-17-2021 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2021, 05:07 PM   #86
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I don’t hear the noise on my 2020 X7M50i.
Neither do i.
No “thirp-party” noise of any kind.

Maybe too much weekend beer?
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #87
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
Neither do i.
No “thirp-party” noise of any kind.

Maybe too much weekend beer?
Yea, and I get paid to hear acoustics and perfect them. I certainly would hear anything if it were audible in the sound system. Certainly isolated issues can pop up on specific vehicles outside the norm.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #88
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
No extraneous noise on mine either. MY20.
Appreciate 0