03-02-2021, 09:31 PM   #23
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneway View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread. I'm curious for those that are running the 22"s, are you on Air or Adaptive/DHP? I have a Range Rover Sport on 22" and the ride is pretty nice, but it's on Air. I'm curious if I'm going to be hating life on the Adaptive/DHP with 22"s.
22s with DHP here. You won't hate life, at least I don't. Compared to the RRS the M50i has a firmer ride, less body role, and lower ride height. I drive a lot of highway and its very smooth on the road. I've had an RRS, X5M and M50i. I find the M50i to be in between those two as far has ride, it a nice mix and balance. I've preferred the BMWs over the RRS, even the harsh ride of the X5M. I don't mind the ride given the number of M cars I've owned; I do notice it more with wife and kids in the car so tend to go a bit easier. I think even the RRS with dynamic handling has a smoother ride, but it always felt like a heavier car to me while driving and cornering. The RRS on 22s has a massive sidewall compared to M50i, so it has an advantage with comfort there regardless of suspension set-up. Test drive the M50i, but if you want the softer ride as a must on the M50i go with the air suspension or drop down to the 40i, but you can't get 22s on that without the M Sport package - overall the 40i is a bit less aggressive. I love the my M50i.
      03-02-2021, 10:58 PM   #24
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

If my wife, daughter, or MIL will ever be driving the vehicle alone, I always pick the run-flat option. I would much rather give them the option to keep driving rather than dealing with changing the tire if they get a flat.

I'm willing to suffer a harsher ride to get the above benefit.
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4591.00
      03-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #25
bigmak76
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50I

Ya, I have 22's on my '20 M50i with DHP and I love it. Yes, when you put the car into sport or sport+, it can be a bit of a firm ride, but that's what I want in such big vehicle so it doesn't ride like a boat. DHP drastically improves the handling. When I'm driving bad roads, which we've got WAY too many of in CA (thanks one party gov't), I just put it in comfort mode and try my best to avoid big pot holes. My 22s definitely have a little rash, but they're black and I touched them up so you can see it unless you really look hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:45 PM   #26
oneway
Private
Rep
Drives: S4 + Range Rover Sport

Thank you guys, that's a huge help!
Past: '16 BMW 340i, '16 Audi SQ5, '15 Lexus IS350, '15 Audi Q5 3.0, '14 Audi S4, '13 Infiniti FX35, '11 Infiniti G37s, '10 Audi A4, '08 Infiniti G35s, '08 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Infiniti G35c, '07 Infiniti FX35, '06 Nissan 350z, '04 Toyota 4Runner, '02 Lexus IS300, '01 Honda Prelude...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #27
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagu View Post
Hello All,
I am at the end of my lease of an M550I X drive with the 20-inch low profile wheels and tires which has been an absolute inconvenience to me. I have had about 12 blowouts and 2 bent wheels because of the thin tires. I wanted to get an M5 with 19-inch wheels but the cabin noise is just too much in that car so I am seriously looking at the X5 M50i with 22-inch black wheels.

My question is for those that actually have 22-inch wheels, do you find the ride jarring and harsh? I had an x7 loaner with 21-inch wheels and it was actually nice and composed.
you can do what we did and get the stock wheels, and then swapped the rubber. We took off the runflats and went with Michelin non-runflat regular tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #28
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Sorry to bump an old thread. I'm curious for those that are running the 22"s, are you on Air or Adaptive/DHP? I have a Range Rover Sport on 22" and the ride is pretty nice, but it's on Air. I'm curious if I'm going to be hating life on the Adaptive/DHP with 22"s.
Not at all. As a driver you will love the DHP. My experience is that rear passengers will prefer the RRS over the X5 and the driving position of the RRS is higher than the X5. To me the RRS and X5 are different types of SUVs. The RRS is more of a truck compared to the X5. It was my first choice, but the price was too high and the dealer experience was terrible
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #29
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Are the Continental Premium Contact 6 22" tires directional? The tread pattern appears to be asymmetrical so I assume they are not but anyone on here post the tread pattern on the driver's side or a photo of the rear tires?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #30
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Thank you guys, that's a huge help!
They have just confused you more, haven’t they? :-)
It’s like a divorce...no advices!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #31
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Are the Continental Premium Contact 6 22" tires directional? The tread pattern appears to be asymmetrical so I assume they are not but anyone on here post the tread pattern on the driver's side or a photo of the rear tires?
I don't believe they are directional but they do have an "inside" and "outside" labeled on the sidewall so they can only be mounted on the wheel one way.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #32
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Thanks. Outside is clearly written but was not sure if they were directional or not. The tread pattern appears reversed on the driver's side and looks like it is going backwards despite being installed "outside" properly.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:26 PM   #33
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagu View Post
Hello All,
I am at the end of my lease of an M550I X drive with the 20-inch low profile wheels and tires which has been an absolute inconvenience to me. I have had about 12 blowouts and 2 bent wheels because of the thin tires. I wanted to get an M5 with 19-inch wheels but the cabin noise is just too much in that car so I am seriously looking at the X5 M50i with 22-inch black wheels.

My question is for those that actually have 22-inch wheels, do you find the ride jarring and harsh? I had an x7 loaner with 21-inch wheels and it was actually nice and composed.
I would highly recommend 20-inch wheels if you live in an area with potholed roads. On my 50i with DHP, M-Adaptive suspension, and MPBK, I have both 22 and 19-inch wheels which I originally got for winter but have all-seasons on them. I find a significant difference in road noise in highway speeds and comfort over bad roads. I am going to stick with the 19s even if they don't look as nice because at this point I just prefer to have a better ride vs. better looks.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #34
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Thanks. Outside is clearly written but was not sure if they were directional or not. The tread pattern appears reversed on the driver's side and looks like it is going backwards despite being installed "outside" properly.

I'll double check the sidewall and see if there's a directional arrow. I feel like I would have noticed since I was inspecting the sidewall after I noticed one of my tires were mounted with the "inside" facing out. I'll report back.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 11:07 PM   #35
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:

[img]https://i.ibb.co/XkCGZ3k/Tread-Comparison.jpg[/img]
I'll double check the sidewall and see if there's a directional arrow. I feel like I would have noticed since I was inspecting the sidewall after I noticed one of my tires were mounted with the "inside" facing out. I'll report back.
They're asymmetrical and not directional. The tires can rotate in either direction when mounted with the correct side facing out, as indicated on the tire sidewall.

If they were directional, there would be a directional marker "direction" or "rotation".

There are directional tires that are asymmetrical but they're still categorized as directional and the "direction" or "rotation" makers are considered outside.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 12:10 AM   #36
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

As usual, Auricom's explanation makes total sense. If you look at the tread pattern, you can see the obvious asymmetrical aspects and you can also see that the left and right tires are the exact same tires, just rolling in opposite directions. (The outside 1/8 of the tire has an almost horizontal curve, which is reversed as you look at the left vs. right tires...)

I have the same tire in a 21" for my Summer wheels...below is a side view of the tire. (I would have snapped a tread view...but I've still got my Winter wheels on and my Summer's are in storage at my dealer. Getting them swapped this Friday! ) I'm pretty confident the tread pattern is the same as the 22" in this thread...

You can see the "Outside" in the pic below...(It's stamped at about 10pm, just above the brake caliper...)
Attached Images

03-24-2021, 08:59 AM   #37
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:

I noticed this too and questioned it at my dealership. To me it looks like the tread is going the wrong way on only one side of the vehicle. They say it’s correct and the “outside” show mounted correctly. 21” AS and 22” Summer show this.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #38
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Exactly. The tread looks backwards to me despite being mounted properly. I do not understand it. Passenger looks proper while the Driver's side looks improper. I looked at the photos online and it appears this is how all the vehicles have them mounted. Not a fan but perhaps it is simply my automotive-ocd flaring up.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:30 PM   #39
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
I do not like these tires at all. They're loud and the tread pattern annoys me. When I purchased the vehicle we were in Autumn and I simply put on the winter tires from jump street. They were quiet and extremely functional in the conditions we experienced this year. The other day I put these on and highway at 60-72mph is ridiculous in comparison. I will probably swap out the wheels and tires and get something completely different for Spring/Summer.
My experience has been the opposite. I've been pretty happy with the 21" Conti's. (I was initially disappointed with the proverbial tire brand lottery we all go through with a new BMW, but have been pleasantly surprised!). They are quieter than my 20" Michelin snow tires. However, the ride is a bit better on the Winter's. (But that's attributable to the sidewall differences.)
      03-24-2021, 08:34 PM   #40
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
If my wife, daughter, or MIL will ever be driving the vehicle alone, I always pick the run-flat option. I would much rather give them the option to keep driving rather than dealing with changing the tire if they get a flat.

I'm willing to suffer a harsher ride to get the above benefit.
Sorry...but in 25 years of hard/spirited driving...Audi's/BMW's, Sedans/SUVs...CA, NC, PA, DE - I've had to change a tire - ONCE. And - my daughter will know how to change a damn tire. (Ok. maybe not. She's 3. Tires as we know it may really not be there in 13 years!).

RFT's IMHO are a marketing joke, created by BMW at Michelin's request (for profits) and BMW's desire to eliminate a spare and spare tools (win win profit).

That being said - who says you CANNOT switch from RFT's to regular tires when the RFTs need replacing after 20k miles?
Appreciate 2
Stoshu491.00
iconoclast7257.50
      03-25-2021, 08:27 AM   #41
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
That being said - who says you CANNOT switch from RFT's to regular tires when the RFTs need replacing after 20k miles?
You must be rough on tires if they your RFTs need replacing at 20k miles!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #42
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
However, the ride is a bit better on the Winter's. (But that's attributable to the sidewall differences.)
I have 22" Winter on this one and the Range Rover Supercharged then summer tires and wheels in 22" as well. These are noticeably louder than both. No idea why but perhaps the tread design or because the temps here have been in the 40's so they have not softened up yet. If this does not change after the increase in temps I am probably going to swap them out for something different. If anyone wants them they're essentially brand new. Came off the vehicle before I took delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:27 PM   #43
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
You must be rough on tires if they your RFTs need replacing at 20k miles!
Ok...maybe 25k! But yea...I'm hard on tires and brakes. But - that's what the car is for, right? Worst ever was my '02 Dinan 540 - different sizes front/rear. CHEWED through rears at 7-8k. Brutal. But what a beautiful ride...
Appreciate 1
Stoshu491.00
      03-25-2021, 09:31 PM   #44
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Ok...maybe 25k! But yea...I'm hard on tires and brakes. But - that's what the car is for, right? Worst ever was my '02 Dinan 540 - different sizes front/rear. CHEWED through rears at 7-8k. Brutal. But what a beautiful ride...
I bet you have fun!
Appreciate 0