BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-01-2021, 08:06 AM   #1
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

When is next-gen X5 due?

I don’t have much BMW history or knowledge, so I’m unsure of model life cycles and “refreshes.”

1. Is there a mid-cycle refresh due and if so when?
2. When is the next generation X5 due? Is this even considered different than a mid-cycle refresh?
3. How long are typical BMW generations? (e.g., E46, E60, etc.)?
4. What can we expect for a mid-cycle refresh (assuming it even happens)? Cosmetic changes only or could we expect the new digital dash as seen in that other thread, or is that reserved for the next generation?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
search LCI (life cycle impulse)
Appreciate 1
Frenetic482.00
      03-01-2021, 10:31 AM   #3
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Mid-cycle refresh is expected MY2022 (or 23 if Covid causes things to get delayed). Each gen typically lasts 7 years. We're currently in year 3.
Appreciate 1
Frenetic482.00
      03-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

According to ynguldyn (one of the most reliable source), X5 LCI (mid cycle refresh) will start production in 04/2023.
And current generation of X5 will end production in 07/2026.
These are the current planned dates, and they can change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
4. What can we expect for a mid-cycle refresh (assuming it even happens)? Cosmetic changes only or could we expect the new digital dash as seen in that other thread, or is that reserved for the next generation?
In many cases, there will be new headlights and rear lights, and cosmetic changes like the bumper.
G20 (3 series) will be getting the new dash in their LCI in July 2022 next year.
Nothing has yet been announced for X5.
X7 will be getting a LCI next year, and would probably be a good indicator if a new dash is coming or not.
Appreciate 1
Frenetic482.00
      03-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #5
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

With the X5, with each new model year BMW has reduced features/options that were offered in prior model years. Soft close doors, heated and cooled cup holders, electric cargo cover, full merino leather and now we are learning that Harmon Kardon is no longer available. Do you want to take a chance waiting for a new model year to discover what else is no longer offered?
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5893.00
      03-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #6
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Next "gen" wont be until well after 2025.

There may be a refresh next year or 2023 where the car gets some software changes and mild exterior changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #7
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin67 View Post
With the X5, with each new model year BMW has reduced features/options that were offered in prior model years. Soft close doors, heated and cooled cup holders, electric cargo cover, full merino leather and now we are learning that Harmon Kardon is no longer available. Do you want to take a chance waiting for a new model year to discover what else is no longer offered?
They have not necessarily reduced all features/options. Read up, there is a huge global semiconductor shortage affecting all auto manufacturing in different ways; unknown how long it will last, but several of the features you mentioned should return.
volodp196.50
      03-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #8
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
I don’t have much BMW history or knowledge, so I’m unsure of model life cycles and “refreshes.”

1. Is there a mid-cycle refresh due and if so when?
2. When is the next generation X5 due? Is this even considered different than a mid-cycle refresh?
3. How long are typical BMW generations? (e.g., E46, E60, etc.)?
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1796553
      03-01-2021, 10:39 PM   #9
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
I think the consensus in that thread was that the car photographed was NOT a X5 LCI, probably a test mule for some other purpose. With more than 2 years out, it is too early for a real LCI spy shot.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:43 PM   #10
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I think the consensus in that thread was that the car photographed was NOT a X5 LCI, probably a test mule for some other purpose. With more than 2 years out, it is too early for a real LCI spy shot.
I don't see them giving the regular X5 a X5M bumper. Kinda rude lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:54 PM   #11
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Just pointing in the direction of an LCI tread where people were already discussing the topic.
      03-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #12
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They have not necessarily reduced all features/options. Read up, there is a huge global semiconductor shortage affecting all auto manufacturing in different ways; unknown how long it will last, but several of the features you mentioned should return.
Perhaps they will return, but my list by no means included everything discontinued, and I suspect not everything is chip related and likely will not return. For example I also forgot to include acoustic glass which has nothing to do with chips. Also, a number of these items they discontinued, they did so before there was even a chip shortage. As far as I am aware, only the Harmon Kardon was discontinued because of chip shortage.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 09:34 PM   #13
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Perhaps they will return, but my list by no means included everything discontinued, and I suspect not everything is chip related and likely will not return. For example I also forgot to include acoustic glass which has nothing to do with chips. Also, a number of these items they discontinued, they did so before there was even a chip shortage. As far as I am aware, only the Harmon Kardon was discontinued because of chip shortage.
There have been other supplier related shortages as well. I just sites the semiconductor issue. Harmon Kardon is on the X5, but there have been HUD and power seats affected on other BMW models due to the semiconductor shortage.
      03-12-2021, 03:09 PM   #14
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The dropped options list keeps getting longer. I had two axle air suspension, and it just got dropped from my order, which I placed about a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #15
adr1974
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
The dropped options list keeps getting longer. I had two axle air suspension, and it just got dropped from my order, which I placed about a month ago.
along with the third row option.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 05:59 PM   #16
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

Discontinued or delayed options

I found out about the 2 axle air & Harmon Kardon issues l2 weeks ago when I went to order a new built to order X5. After 2 days of "debate" I asked my salesperson to find an existing X5 that could be trucked in as a dealer exchange. Although we originally wanted mineral white, the existing stock made the choice of dark graphite with 3rd row, air & HK a simple decision. A similar unit in mineral white was around $5K more due to additional options that we'd never use. Consider the alternatives and move on since the vehicles that have already been produced are likely to have more of what you're trying to achieve .
Appreciate 0