BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #177
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Looks awesome mate! And I agree with the above comment....
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #178
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Looks great in bronze. Good decision.

I found a last thing you can still change. Why didn't you already? You have done so many things. That would have been one of the first for me.
Thanks!

Truthfully, the side reflectors don't bother me. I've seen cars with them removed, and body-color inserts, and all I can think is "well, now there's a weird rectangle there that looks like something is missing".

But mostly.....

I won't change ANYTHING on the car that "might" cause complications when I go to re-import the car back to the USA. While most "state" inspection agencies wouldn't notice or care about the reflectors..... a "federal customs inspection" may be significantly more strict. I don't know for sure.... but I'm not going to risk having complications.

Same reason I'm staying away from downpipes, aftermarket exhausts, or anything that will effect the emissions system.

I am removing the resonator and building a custom double H-pipe to put in it, but that won't affect emissions, and it shouldn't be "too" loud to fail any noise requirements. The parts actually came in the mail today. Maybe this weekend.
Appreciate 2
X5 45e1090.50
GrussGott18116.50
      09-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #179
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Congrats 914! Looks like a touch of poke on the front but back looks a little inside the fender. Is that a correct observation? Would you change the offsets if you could knowing what you know now?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 11:42 PM   #180
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
Congrats 914! Looks like a touch of poke on the front but back looks a little inside the fender. Is that a correct observation? Would you change the offsets if you could knowing what you know now?
Ummmm...... no. There is definitely poke on the rear. I would say it's pretty balanced. I know not everyone likes an aggressive offset. I think it adds character to it though, but it HAS to be at least slightly lowered to pull off an offset like this. At stock height, it would look like a rollerskate.

EDIT... after looking at it again, I think you may be right.... but..... I think the reason there me a bit less poke in the back, is because the degre of camber is higher in the back than it is the front. The bottom of the tire pokes out quite a bit, but the top is tucked a few mm inside the fender lip.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 09-04-2020 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 08:12 AM   #181
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Thanks!

Truthfully, the side reflectors don't bother me. I've seen cars with them removed, and body-color inserts, and all I can think is "well, now there's a weird rectangle there that looks like something is missing".

But mostly.....

I won't change ANYTHING on the car that "might" cause complications when I go to re-import the car back to the USA. While most "state" inspection agencies wouldn't notice or care about the reflectors..... a "federal customs inspection" may be significantly more strict. I don't know for sure.... but I'm not going to risk having complications.

Same reason I'm staying away from downpipes, aftermarket exhausts, or anything that will effect the emissions system.

I am removing the resonator and building a custom double H-pipe to put in it, but that won't affect emissions, and it shouldn't be "too" loud to fail any noise requirements. The parts actually came in the mail today. Maybe this weekend.
LOVE the car and went through every page of this build. Good thinking on this, are there special instructions you had to make to BMW when ordering to make sure it meets regulations of Belgium as well as the US?

Out of curiosity...I saw you mentioned you were an ex pat, what do you do for work?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 08:57 AM   #182
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
LOVE the car and went through every page of this build. Good thinking on this, are there special instructions you had to make to BMW when ordering to make sure it meets regulations of Belgium as well as the US?

Out of curiosity...I saw you mentioned you were an ex pat, what do you do for work?
Thanks!!

Regarding the order of my car... No. I'm an American citizen, retired from US military at 38y/o, Current civilian employee, living in Belgium, working for NATO. Sorry, I can't be more specific than that on a public forum.

But, I bought my car through US military sales in Europe. It is a 100% US spec car, so I can re-import it back to the US without issue whenever my time comes to rotate back to the US.

There are HUGE perks for American military and their families to buy when stationed overseas. I got the car for exactly 10% off US MSRP, zero taxes, zero shipping, and they even ship it back to the US for me for free when that time comes. I "may" have to pay sales tax on "whatever residual value" it is worth when I rotate back to the US, but it will be significantly less than what it would have been new.....and DRAMATICALLY less than what taxes are here in Belgium (Gulp).
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      09-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #183
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Sweet. Double H-pipe is welded together. Front side will be welded.... but the rear will need to be lap-clamped. For now, waiting on suitable clamps in the mail.

Still... should sound NASTY once I get the resonator removed and get this beast welded in it's place
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #184
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ummmm...... no. There is definitely poke on the rear. I would say it's pretty balanced. I know not everyone likes an aggressive offset. I think it adds character to it though, but it HAS to be at least slightly lowered to pull off an offset like this. At stock height, it would look like a rollerskate.

EDIT... after looking at it again, I think you may be right.... but..... I think the reason there me a bit less poke in the back, is because the degre of camber is higher in the back than it is the front. The bottom of the tire pokes out quite a bit, but the top is tucked a few mm inside the fender lip.
Is there room between the tire/rim and suspension on this inside to go lower offset if desired. I am aiming for flush, not poke and you have been SUPER helpful.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #185
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
Is there room between the tire/rim and suspension on this inside to go lower offset if desired. I am aiming for flush, not poke and you have been SUPER helpful.
I'm not really sure. I didn't really look.

But, I'll be pulling them off again soon to re-color the calipers. I'll see if I can get a decent look at the space between the inside of the tire and the inner fender well, while the car is at ride height.

If the weather is good, may even be tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #186
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not really sure. I didn't really look.

But, I'll be pulling them off again soon to re-color the calipers. I'll see if I can get a decent look at the space between the inside of the tire and the inner fender well, while the car is at ride height.

If the weather is good, may even be tomorrow.
Appreciate that!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 03:48 AM   #187
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Nothing looks better behind bronze.... than GOLD.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
GlennC321.00
      09-11-2020, 04:27 AM   #188
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Sorry. Duplicate post.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 09-11-2020 at 04:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 04:30 AM   #189
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Loving the gold calipers...... a bit too much poke and not low enough for my own taste, but still nicely done...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 04:44 AM   #190
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Hopefully this video I made should answer all the questions I've received regarding offset, tire size, wheel size, "pokeage", and fitment. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Appreciate 4
GlennC321.00
Noneya251.50
bhe104.50
UltraDave127.00
      09-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #191
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

B E E F Y.

I like a girl with a thick backside
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
X5 45e1090.50
GlennC321.00
      09-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #192
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
B E E F Y.

So if you are looking for an other modification and don't want to do your front reflectors 😉.

How about painting the roof black. I saw some pictures on the forum and it looks good on a white X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #193
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
So if you are looking for an other modification and don't want to do your front reflectors 😉.

How about painting the roof black. I saw some pictures on the forum and it looks good on a white X5.
Agreed..... and I've considered it. Couple of problems though:

1) Auto paint costs 3x-4x as much as the USA.... making it not worthwhile, unless an insurance company is paying for it.

2) Wrapping the roof in matte black is an alternative, but because it's always cold here, and rains every day for 9 months straight..... I have concerns about the adhesiveness of a wrap. Admittedly, I don't know much about wrapping technology. I know they are better now than ever.... but I have yet to see a wrapped car in Belgium..... ever. I can't help but wonder if there's a reason for that.

I'm almost finished with a custom molded epoxy resin mounting solution I made to hold my Coyote speed camera detector. Should be 100% ready by Tuesday. After that, I'm starting a custom subwoofer box build from fiberglass.

After that.....Next step for me will be under the hood. I have some ideas on how to freshen it up and make it look better.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #194
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed..... and I've considered it. Couple of problems though:

1) Auto paint costs 3x-4x as much as the USA.... making it not worthwhile, unless an insurance company is paying for it.

2) Wrapping the roof in matte black is an alternative, but because it's always cold here, and rains every day for 9 months straight..... I have concerns about the adhesiveness of a wrap. Admittedly, I don't know much about wrapping technology. I know they are better now than ever.... but I have yet to see a wrapped car in Belgium..... ever. I can't help but wonder if there's a reason for that.

I'm almost finished with a custom molded epoxy resin mounting solution I made to hold my Coyote speed camera detector. Should be 100% ready by Tuesday. After that, I'm starting a custom subwoofer box build from fiberglass.

After that.....Next step for me will be under the hood. I have some ideas on how to freshen it up and make it look better.
A lot of the modifications that are done on
this forum I never see in Belgium / Europe. I think you are more used to do so in the US.

Same with non BMW wheels. I don't see them a lot, sometimes for winter wheels but hardly ever for the summer wheels. Probably Europeans want to keep their cars more original? That's is why you don't see so much wrapped cars. One of my friends is going to wrap his model 3 soon.

And maybe the price of the paint job is one of the reasons. I wanted the x line but not the silver rear bumper piece and black plastic wheel arches and bumper. And I think it would cost more than a K to do the job.

So back in topic: basically you are done now with modifications on your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #195
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
basically you are done now with modifications on your car.
Not even close. I've got the double H-pipe in work, Coyote mount, subwoofer, Under hood customization, and then I'll start looking for something else. By then, there will be much more aftermarket support. I can almost guarantee a rear BBK at some point in the future... maybe even a 6-pot X5M front BBK retrofit, aftermarket larger fender flares. Intakes will be available by then. There will be lots more carbon fiber aftermarket support by then.... possibilities are endless. I can almost guarantee I'll never be "done".
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #196
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
basically you are done now with modifications on your car.
Not even close. I've got the double H-pipe in work, Coyote mount, subwoofer, Under hood customization, and then I'll start looking for something else. By then, there will be much more aftermarket support. I can almost guarantee a rear BBK at some point in the future... maybe even a 6-pot X5M front BBK retrofit, aftermarket larger fender flares. Intakes will be available by then. There will be lots more carbon fiber aftermarket support by then.... possibilities are endless. I can almost guarantee I'll never be "done".
👍

Nice to see what is possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 10:56 AM   #197
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Quote:
When you do the subwoofer mod, can you please post that process here. I really want to add one to my 40i, but I keep hearing about how complicated it is..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #198
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
B E E F Y.

Badonkadonk, a lot of junk in that trunk lol
Appreciate 0