BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Of course you should get the Bowers & Wilkins audio upgrade.

Here is a simplified review why it is named THE best audio system you can buy. The X5 system is a bit different but you get the idea.

Appreciate 2
thereef5101165.00
Cooltones241.00
      08-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

I'm absolutely spoiled by the sound system. It sounds incredible and the DSP effects are actually good. Having said that, i think maybe I listened too loud and some of the speakers are blown? I'm scared to take it into service given the pandemic parts shortage. but in all I highly recommend it
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

If you want the best audio system there is that's what you should get!

I don't, so I am happy with the H K system.

The 3,5 K extra wasn't worth it for me. But I can imagine if you are an audiophile you would.

I did spend 1,5 K on aesthetics laser head lights 😜
Appreciate 4
M40i4me1037.00
Nooch19.50
bandersen587.00
      08-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Nice!

It definitely reinforces my decision to splurge on the speakers.

I was pleasantly surprised to see BW had a Spotify playlist. That'll be a fun listen on the next mini-roadtrip to escape these work from home COVID blues!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 11:44 AM   #5
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

It’s a great sound system... I’m glad you are enjoying it. Definitely not for everyone though: for the same price over the H&K I bought some really nice b&w speakers to upgrade the home stereo. And I guarantee my listening room at home sounds better than the b&w in the car while driving.

If you spend a lot of time doing critical listening in the car, or even have a commute of over an hour and want the best possible sound for non-compressed music, then it may be worth it... but i am not convinced that the road noise won’t ruin the experience.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      08-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
It’s a great sound system... I’m glad you are enjoying it. Definitely not for everyone though: for the same price over the H&K I bought some really nice b&w speakers to upgrade the home stereo. And I guarantee my listening room at home sounds better than the b&w in the car while driving.

If you spend a lot of time doing critical listening in the car, or even have a commute of over an hour and want the best possible sound for non-compressed music, then it may be worth it... but i am not convinced that the road noise won’t ruin the experience.
With acoustic glazing, 45e and 20 inch wheels I don't have a lot of road noise left.

The only thing I really hear now is the wind noise on the highway.

What is frustrating is that I found out during the holidays that at the passenger side the noise was noticeably less or maybe even absent compared to the driver side. Someone else observed the same? Or is there something wrong with the rubbers on the driver side door? I do have soft close.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #7
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's awfully glib of you to dismiss the B&W system in the car because it doesn't meet your nebulous conditions to justify it's cost. btw, you dont get 'really nice' B&W speakers for less than 10k or so. after a decent amp, ssp, dac, transport and acoustic treatments, you're into it for at least 30-40k. But, they have a wide range in their speaker line with crappy entry level speakers for gullible buyers who want to brag that they have a B&W home system that they can 'guarantee' sounds better than what's in the g05.

This system sounds phenomenal. Yes their diamond speakers in the g05 probably dont compare spec for spec with the indoor diamond line but the g05 is a very very small space comparatively and wouldn't take as much to get similar sound quality as their vaunted diamond line. Every reviewer with any credentials has praised the system and the dynamics of the system. And frankly, anyone who actually does care about music; who has a nice audio system at home, wouldn't settle for the HK system if they heard the B&W system. It doesn't matter how long or short your commute is, it matters if you value quality sound inside and outside of your home. We have the HK system in our f15; I had never heard the B&O system they had offered. On a lark I just happened to hear the B&W system in the g05, and because I care about music and fidelity and sound quality, and because I have a very nice system at home, I couldn't 'unhear' it. I couldnt settle for the HK system. No regrets. I'm sure true audiophiles here felt the same which is why they opted for this, rather extravagant, option.
Appreciate 5
edtreo88.50
Paladin15556.00
M40i4me1037.00
Shawzy44158.00
      08-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #8
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

What is frustrating is that I found out during the holidays that at the passenger side the noise was noticeably less or maybe even absent compared to the driver side. Someone else observed the same? Or is there something wrong with the rubbers on the driver side door? I do have soft close.
I have acoustic glass and it does sometimes sound like I have the drivers or drivers side rear window not fully closed almost like there's a slight wind noise right near my ear. I'm not sure if passenger side is the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #9
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCP View Post
I have acoustic glass and it does sometimes sound like I have the drivers or drivers side rear window not fully closed almost like there's a slight wind noise right near my ear. I'm not sure if passenger side is the same.

the only thing I hear is the A/C blower and the ventilated seats if they are ever above 'level 2'. maybe you guys need to take yours into the shop and have them look for air leaks?
Appreciate 1
M40i4me1037.00
      08-13-2020, 01:16 PM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That is exactly the feeling I had. I tried to close the window but it was closed and pulled on the door.

Maybe it is just because the rest is so silent that the wind noise is more obvious?

But it doesn't explain why it is more on the driver side than on the passenger side. Maybe a different mirror design? I am not very often in the passenger seat to try. Only on long road trips during holidays.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Just to add to the theme. All my studios have a mandatory break-in period for our near field and far field monitors in the control rooms. Approximately 15 hours is the minimum time we expose our monitors to multiple frequency sweeps and general music to break them in. After that the monitors can be used for mixing. Then after 120 hours, the monitors are cleared for doing final mixes. We use everything from NS10’s to B&W and with some of our tube Neumann microphones you can tell if a monitor is green or not. I guarantee the B&W Diamond system in the BMW’s require at least 10-15 hours before they settle in. The grade level of components B&W is using in the BMW’s is impressive. They are not entry level components and rather a bargain for the up charge. The noise floor in the X7 is about as low as you are ever going to get in a luxury SUV so its a no brainer option especially if you are getting the RES.

Last edited by MystroX5; 08-13-2020 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
thereef5101165.00
edtreo88.50
      08-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #12
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is exactly the feeling I had. I tried to close the window but it was closed and pulled on the door.

Maybe it is just because the rest is so silent that the wind noise is more obvious?

But it doesn't explain why it is more on the driver side than on the passenger side. Maybe a different mirror design? I am not very often in the passenger seat to try. Only on long road trips during holidays.
FYI, I had a trim piece out of alignment (visually you could not tell) on my F25 that caused the same sort of noise. Take it in and have your service advisor come along with you on a ride so they can hear it. Once I had the trim installed correctly the noise went away.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

FYI, I had a trim piece out of alignment (visually you could not tell) on my F25 that caused the same sort of noise. Take it in and have your service advisor come along with you on a ride so they can hear it. Once I had the trim installed correctly the noise went away.
Thx. That might be it.

I kind of accepted it but when hearing the difference between both sides it made me wonder if something might be wrong.

Now I just have to find some time to do this. It is not bothering me enough to take it in just for that. Maybe when updating to 11/2020?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #14
GatorX5
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 sdrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
That's awfully glib of you to dismiss the B&W system in the car because it doesn't meet your nebulous conditions to justify it's cost. btw, you dont get 'really nice' B&W speakers for less than 10k or so. after a decent amp, ssp, dac, transport and acoustic treatments, you're into it for at least 30-40k. But, they have a wide range in their speaker line with crappy entry level speakers for gullible buyers who want to brag that they have a B&W home system that they can 'guarantee' sounds better than what's in the g05.

This system sounds phenomenal. Yes their diamond speakers in the g05 probably dont compare spec for spec with the indoor diamond line but the g05 is a very very small space comparatively and wouldn't take as much to get similar sound quality as their vaunted diamond line. Every reviewer with any credentials has praised the system and the dynamics of the system. And frankly, anyone who actually does care about music; who has a nice audio system at home, wouldn't settle for the HK system if they heard the B&W system. It doesn't matter how long or short your commute is, it matters if you value quality sound inside and outside of your home. We have the HK system in our f15; I had never heard the B&O system they had offered. On a lark I just happened to hear the B&W system in the g05, and because I care about music and fidelity and sound quality, and because I have a very nice system at home, I couldn't 'unhear' it. I couldnt settle for the HK system. No regrets. I'm sure true audiophiles here felt the same which is why they opted for this, rather extravagant, option.
That's cool that you're in love with the B&W system, but it's not glib to point out that a moving vehicle is horrible acoustic environment. It is a fact. The more ambient noise encountered, less you will hear the improved sound quality. The regular driving conditions you encounter is a valid consideration. I have 50k invested in my two channel home system and chose not to pay for B&W mainly because I do most city driving around dump trucks and semi's. That said, they look baddass
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 06:37 PM   #15
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorX5 View Post
That's cool that you're in love with the B&W system, but it's not glib to point out that a moving vehicle is horrible acoustic environment. It is a fact. The more ambient noise encountered, less you will hear the improved sound quality. The regular driving conditions you encounter is a valid consideration. I have 50k invested in my two channel home system and chose not to pay for B&W mainly because I do most city driving around dump trucks and semi's. That said, they look baddass
YMMV. I hear this comment all the time, this is certainly not for 2 channel critical listening in a acoustically controlled room. but when I compared the 2 system on X5, there is a big difference AQ.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #16
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

I didn’t dismiss the in-car system: I said it is great for certain people and not always worthwhile. There’sa big difference there. What is “glib” is decreeing that the system is a must-have (see thread title, “Of course you should get...”) when a large number of buyers will not actually hear a big difference over the other systems for various reasons. I argue that telling people “of course you should pay the extra $3500” is rather insensitive considering that $3500 is a significant amount of money for many people, even BMW shoppers. I would have far less objection if the thread has been titled: “Do you have enough money that $3500 US is not a significant amount? Then of course you should...”

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #17
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn’t dismiss the in-car system: I said it is great for certain people and not always worthwhile. There’sa big difference there. What is “glib” is decreeing that the system is a must-have (see thread title, “Of course you should get...”) when a large number of buyers will not actually hear a big difference over the other systems for various reasons. I argue that telling people “of course you should pay the extra $3500” is rather insensitive considering that $3500 is a significant amount of money for many people, even BMW shoppers. I would have far less objection if the thread has been titled: “Do you have enough money that $3500 US is not a significant amount? Then of course you should...”
If you think $3500 is a significant amount of money on a vehicle we, on average, paid probably 90k for, then maybe you should be on the kia forum. We routinely debate the most extravagant, some purely aesthetic features here (see the 50 page glass controls thread), and whether it's 'worth it or not'.

As evident by my city with 1 BMW dealer, not many dealerships stock vehicles with the B&W system. If you didn't hear it, of course you would think it was a waste of money or extravagant because the HK system is 'fine'. That's the point of this thread, is to give prospective buyers a second thought in case they cant pop down to their local dealer and audition it for themselves.

Someone down the line might be wondering about this sound system and could search this forum and find this thread, watch the video and then be intrigued enough to inquire about it with their dealer. you're the holding the cavalier position that if you didn't get it that must mean its not worth it. you keep referencing road noise, you have no clue how little road noise there is with the acoustic glass which other threads have documented as being one of the quietest cars on the market, at any price point. I feel like you just have sour grapes at this point because you didnt include it in your own build and want to shit on this thread because someone would dare suggest this is a must have feature
Appreciate 1
An261030.00
      08-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #18
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

The B&W is overwhelmingly good..... I've experienced both HK and BW and the difference is night and day. Yes, a car isn't the best place for optimal acoustics, but then that's the case for every single car.
Appreciate 1
An261030.00
      08-13-2020, 09:14 PM   #19
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
The B&W is overwhelmingly good..... I've experienced both HK and BW and the difference is night and day. Yes, a car isn't the best place for optimal acoustics, but then that's the case for every single car.
There are two HK systems. Which one are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #20
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:

I have the same issue on my 2020 X7 40i only it's on the passenger side and not the driver's side.

There is a Service Bulletin on the trim for this issue but visually I can't see an issue with my trim pieces compared to the problem and pictures listed in the SIB. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...75279-9999.pdf

This is also a possible cause for the wind noise. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...75278-9999.pdf
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      08-13-2020, 09:51 PM   #21
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I guarantee the B&W Diamond system in the BMW’s require at least 10-15 hours before they settle in.
I would agree with this. When i first listened to my B&W system I wasn't that impressed with the sound compared to all of the other BMW's i've had in the the past with the HK audio system. I have just about 15 hours of listening time in my car now and the system has come alive and sounds amazing. What i find is that you need to turn it up to really show its true colors on how its better than your normal HK setup.

Also this might be silly but I also love how the speaker on the doors glow at night to add that extra wow factor.

Alan
      08-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #22
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't dismiss the in-car system: I said it is great for certain people and not always worthwhile. There'sa big difference there. What is "glib" is decreeing that the system is a must-have (see thread title, "Of course you should get...") when a large number of buyers will not actually hear a big difference over the other systems for various reasons. I argue that telling people "of course you should pay the extra $3500" is rather insensitive considering that $3500 is a significant amount of money for many people, even BMW shoppers. I would have far less objection if the thread has been titled: "Do you have enough money that $3500 US is not a significant amount? Then of course you should..."
If you think $3500 is a significant amount of money on a vehicle we, on average, paid probably 90k for, then maybe you should be on the kia forum. We routinely debate the most extravagant, some purely aesthetic features here (see the 50 page glass controls thread), and whether it's 'worth it or not'.

As evident by my city with 1 BMW dealer, not many dealerships stock vehicles with the B&W system. If you didn't hear it, of course you would think it was a waste of money or extravagant because the HK system is 'fine'. That's the point of this thread, is to give prospective buyers a second thought in case they cant pop down to their local dealer and audition it for themselves.

Someone down the line might be wondering about this sound system and could search this forum and find this thread, watch the video and then be intrigued enough to inquire about it with their dealer. you're the holding the cavalier position that if you didn't get it that must mean its not worth it. you keep referencing road noise, you have no clue how little road noise there is with the acoustic glass which other threads have documented as being one of the quietest cars on the market, at any price point. I feel like you just have sour grapes at this point because you didnt include it in your own build and want to shit on this thread because someone would dare suggest this is a must have feature
Has anyone done a poll with vehicle price range? Just curious, since the X5 starts at $59,400 my guess is that more people paid closer to $70,000 than $90,000 (and $3500 is a lot if people are stretching for the X5 to begin with). Not an argument over the stereo, I personally never pay for the highest level since I have little kids in the car and rarely get to have the music loud enough to notice a difference, once my youngest is older that will change.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0