Drives: M4, X6

The B&W option is around 6000EUR over here so had to skip
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #46
9uman9y
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Just to share FYI. Started as a separate thread as was not clear initially that the issue related to B&W system:

X5 45e - Strange noise from all mid-range and 3D B&W speakers https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1750143
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #47
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

I understand that sound and expectations from an audio system are somehow subjective, but any audiophile over here can share the ultimate listening equalizer settings tunes to pop music and occasional hard rock, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #48
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
I understand that sound and expectations from an audio system are somehow subjective, but any audiophile over here can share the ultimate listening equalizer settings tunes to pop music and occasional hard rock, thank you.
I just did this over on the X7 forum. This should get you close to what most like to hear from a audio system.

B&W audio adjustments of what most people like:

Set the treble and bass sliders to neutral. Then go into the eq and adjust the audio with just the multi band eq. Use a high bit audio track you really know that has high hats and kick drum with lots of the entire frequency. A movie score, good jazz or even country works well. Dont use thrasher rock, pop, or any XM radio. Too much compression. The car should be turned off, windows up and sunshade closed. Volume needs to be at 50%.

Start your multi-band eq adjustment with a "smiley face" across the eq without the mids being cut. When you get close to the tone you like. Use the macro bass and treble sliders to accentuate the eq settings.
At this point preview the surround settings/room sizes. (Concert, Studio, Theater, etc..)

Now if you do this correct, the bass should still be warm at a volume of 25% but not too thumpy at a volume of 75%.

I have a degree in acoustic and audio engineering. Trust me, the B&W will blow you away providing it is calibrated. This is the down fall of these advanced audio systems as they offer the customer too much control in messing up the frequency response. When visiting my dealer, the manager asks me to calibrate every B&W car in the showroom if I have the time. Takes me 30 seconds per car. I did this for them a few years ago and they were shocked how good the system sounds but there is no protocol in setting them up and the manual sucks. The average customer is lost and might take them months before they even start tinkering with the tone. There is so much other tech in the G07/G05.
Every B&W system should be somewhat tuned before the customer takes delivery but they do not. In predelivery they should at least ask if they want the B&W system semi-adjusted. It would be a nice touch.

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction to adjusting your B&W audio system.
Appreciate 6
      10-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #49
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
I just did this over on the X7 forum. This should get you close to what most like to hear from a audio system.

Set the treble and bass sliders to neutral. Then go into the eq and adjust the audio with just the multi band eq. Use a high bit audio track you really know that has high hats and kick drum with lots of the entire frequency. A movie score, good jazz or even country works well. Dont use thrasher rock, pop, or any XM radio. Too much compression. The car should be turned off, windows up and sunshade closed. Volume needs to be at 50%.

Start your multi-band eq adjustment with a "smiley face" across the eq without the mids being cut. When you get close to the tone you like. Use the macro bass and treble sliders to accentuate the eq settings.
At this point preview the surround settings/room sizes. (Concert, Studio, Theater, etc..)

Now if you do this correct, the bass should still be warm at a volume of 25% but not too thumpy at a volume of 75%.

I have a degree in acoustic and audio engineering. Trust me, the B&W will blow you away providing it is calibrated. This is the down fall of these advanced audio systems as they offer the customer too much control in messing up the frequency response. When visiting my dealer, the manager asks me to calibrate every B&W car in the showroom if I have the time. Takes me 30 seconds per car. I did this for them a few years ago and they were shocked how good the system sounds but there is no protocol in setting them up and the manual sucks. The average customer is lost and might take them months before they even start tinkering with the tone. There is so much other tech in the G07/G05.
Every B&W system should be somewhat tuned before the customer takes delivery but they do not. In predelivery they should at least ask if they want the B&W system semi-adjusted. It would be a nice touch.

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction to adjusting your B&W audio system.
I'm choosing B&W in my new G05 so thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 01:09 PM   #50
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
Quote:

Is it possible to get a screen shot of your settings, what you mentioned above is too advanced for my understanding of sound tuning
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 12:45 AM   #51
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is it possible to get a screen shot of your settings, what you mentioned above is too advanced for my understanding of sound tuning
Here are my settings. It follows the same technique with some tweaks to suit my preferences
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      10-06-2020, 10:24 PM   #52
Finito84
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

This is a great post as I had no idea on the difference between speakers. It is amazing to see the tuning level of some members here.

In my case, ordered the 45e and I do not see the b&w in the build options.

The H K is good enough for me. I would not appreciate the additional level of detail, especially when my daughter plays Sesame Street or Disney songs.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      10-07-2020, 12:07 AM   #53
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finito84 View Post
This is a great post as I had no idea on the difference between speakers. It is amazing to see the tuning level of some members here.

In my case, ordered the 45e and I do not see the b&w in the build options.

The H K is good enough for me. I would not appreciate the additional level of detail, especially when my daughter plays Sesame Street or Disney songs.
Not available on the 45e ... and, yeah, $3500 buys a nice home setup that'll last 20 years ... or at least one summit-fi component
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      12-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #54
vitallycheck
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 m50i

I had a chance to compare B&W and B&O. Jumped temporary from G30 to F15 and hell yes, I hear difference. B&W provides with more clear and deeper sound, more bass and setups. There are a reasons BMW chose them.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #55
Paperlaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, Jaguar I-Pace

Unfortunately not available on 45e models in the US as I would have opted for it. We have B&W option in the Volvo XC90 the X5 is replacing (and it was a similarly priced option in the Volvo as well) and it is outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #56
beegee227
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 45e M Sport , i4 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperlaw View Post
Unfortunately not available on 45e models in the US as I would have opted for it. We have B&W option in the Volvo XC90 the X5 is replacing (and it was a similarly priced option in the Volvo as well) and it is outstanding.
I'm doing the same shift. XC90 T8 to X5 45e.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2020, 10:48 AM   #57
taybo20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperlaw View Post
Yep if it was available I would have gotten it
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #58
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

I am very sad, I couldn't order the B&W / acoustic glass / ... and many other things on my new 45e build...because BMW decides for us what we can buy or not...

Of course bmw wants you to buy the more expensive vechiles but when the 45 is the only hybrid electric option, I wish they would allow all options there.
      12-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #59
marcpitt
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

I have been wanting to post a bit on this topic, but want to avoid the polarizing topic a bit. So I will start with the standard caveats. Audio is subjective, car is of course not the best acoustical environment, and people can prioritize the money they spend regardless of how much they have or the percentage of the car's value. Have I missed anything?

Now here are my thoughts. First I don't think that you can compare systems from car to car. So when I say that I really liked the B&O system in my Audi A6 better than the B&W system in my 45e, I don't think that is the same as someone saying the B&W system in this BMW is better than the B&O system in a previous BMW. This means the B&O systems are clearly different from car to car.

As stated in a previous post, I think the B&W system is plenty loud and quite clear. But it is not as full or warm sounding. It misses for me mid-bass and deep bass. Here is my problem. I have the feeling that BMW put speakers in the car. Then when it came time for the upgrade, they simply asked HK to build some nicer speakers (nicer materials or magnets) and of course replaced two of the tweeters with the B&W diamond ones. But they just dropped them into the door openings. Everything else is just DSP.

For comparison, here is a picture I found on the internet of the B&O system from the A6. What you will notice is that the speakers in the front are 2 bass woofers, 2 mid-bass speakers, and of course the raising tweeters. You will also notice that they are in enclosures. Even the rear door speakers have enclosures. And of course, the subwoofer has a real enclosure. By contrast, the B&W system has 20 speakers non of them really in any kind of enclosure, and most of them just the same tweeters and smaller mid-bass. I think this is why the sound is not as full.

I would rather have fewer speakers and more full-range, especially for the large upgrade price. (4400 euros, 5400 USD in Germany) I also feel there is only so much you can do with DSP. I guess at least the B&W lights up with colors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #60
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
If you want the best audio system there is that's what you should get!

I don't, so I am happy with the H K system.

The 3,5 K extra wasn't worth it for me. But I can imagine if you are an audiophile you would.

I did spend 1,5 K on aesthetics laser head lights 😜
I would have absolutely optioned it on my 45e, however BMW seems to think that in the USA one who wants a hybrid doesn't have good ears or a deep enough pocket to purchase!
Appreciate 1
sebseb72.00
      12-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #61
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Harman Kardon owns just about all premium audio systems in the automotive world. B&W, B&O, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Revel to name several.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #62
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

Picked up my X5 on Monday and I've got my B&Ws tuned thanks to MystroX5 VTENGR. Sounds MUCH better now thanks guys!!!

I do agree with marcpitt that the bass is a little lacking down low. It just lacks the thud of a proper woofer. Proper enclosures would definitely help.

That's compared to most high-end aftermarket systems though. Compared to what Porsche/MB/Audi offer I'm very happy, especially considering how much of a premium those brands charge for their high-end sound systems. The B&Ws provide a lot of bang for the buck. I know they are pricey though...
Appreciate 1
VTENGR1043.50
      12-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #63
IllustriousMari
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Harman Kardon owns just about all premium audio systems in the automotive world. B&W, B&O, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Revel to name several.
You mean Samsung
Appreciate 1
mcsa65.00
      12-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #64
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Harmon Kardon system sounds good enough to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #65
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Tata owns Range Rover, so....
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #66
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Harmon Kardon system sounds good enough to me.
Nice signature btw.

I agree with you, the HK system is perfectly fine. Especially at 'conversational volumes'. If I have a friend or people in the car, I seldom 'turn it up', because many just dont share my musical tastes (70s, 80s, 90s only), are much more enthralled with the overall look and feeling of being in the g05 that their reaction to the upgraded sound is attenuated and having people in the car with loud music creates a distracting driving environment. You hear the difference between the two systems when you really want to listen to music. If you're seldom alone, you're probably not in a situation to listen to music at levels loud enough to sway you.

Last edited by thereef510; 12-19-2020 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50