BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #23
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
I wouldn't worry about it. As long it's installed properly it will be fine. I'm guess the factory nicked the seal when they installed the axles. No way for us to know.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 09:57 PM   #24
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition (G80)

Garage List
Ok....Update.

So after the initial repair, which was replacing the axel seal, (dealership replaced both sides) all was good.....for a little while.

Then I notice the drip again on the garage floor. Climb underneath to find a drop on the black tube that looks like a vent.

Brought it in to dealership. Tech went back and forth with BMW on a couple tasks. In the end, BMW recommended a new rear diff. 3 to 4 weeks from Germany. Rear diff alone is $5700.

Thank goodness for a warranty. It seems like they are being proactive.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:06 AM   #25
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolfbmw View Post
Ok....Update.

So after the initial repair, which was replacing the axel seal, (dealership replaced both sides) all was good.....for a little while.

Then I notice the drip again on the garage floor. Climb underneath to find a drop on the black tube that looks like a vent.

Brought it in to dealership. Tech went back and forth with BMW on a couple tasks. In the end, BMW recommended a new rear diff. 3 to 4 weeks from Germany. Rear diff alone is $5700.

Mine was dripping from the vent, my shop told me not to worry about it, maybe they overfill at the factory. What did your dealer say about leaking at the vent? It was only a small amount and seems to have stopped now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:00 AM   #26
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I would assume once fixed it will not fail again anytime soon. But you could ask for an extended warranty on the diff...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #27
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

I personally wouldn’t accept any leakage even if it apparently stopped. What is to say it won’t leak again? It doesn’t matter what caused it, it’s leaking and it shouldn’t. If I were you, I would tell them to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyghost View Post
Mine was dripping from the vent, my shop told me not to worry about it, maybe they overfill at the factory. What did your dealer say about leaking at the vent? It was only a small amount and seems to have stopped now.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #28
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
To be honest, this doesn't seem like a good explanation, unless they looked at it. Why should it leak? Anyway, now that it isn't leaking, if you see it again you know it wasn't due to overfilling...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #29
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Ok....Update.

My latest leak looks very much like yours and I felt this was the issue the first time, not axel seals.

A leak is not normal. Like others have mentioned, I would push back on the service advisor.

What model and trim line do you have? Also, just out of curiosity, do you notice it after any Launch controls? That is when I noticed mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 04:20 AM   #30
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Mine is M50i and tuned to almost 700hp so hard to claim warranty. I did many snow donuts so that might overheated the diff.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:42 AM   #31
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Quote:
Mine is M50i and tuned to almost 700hp so hard to claim warranty. I did many snow donuts so that might overheated the diff.
Well ok then. That explains it and yeah, a leak is expected considering the tune and abuse. The context of your original post was lacking.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #32
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sold on the tune and donuts overheating the diff. I can see how an argument can be made though but yours has to be relatively new with low miles.

Does the dealership know about Tune? They did have to hook my car up to the computer and did their digging.

I respected but pushed my X3M and F15 50i hard. I tracked and launched both, a lot. Never had a diff issue or leak.

What tune are you running? What level of torque are you pushing?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 02:36 AM   #33
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sold on the tune and donuts overheating the diff. I can see how an argument can be made though but yours has to be relatively new with low miles.

Does the dealership know about Tune? They did have to hook my car up to the computer and did their digging.

I respected but pushed my X3M and F15 50i hard. I tracked and launched both, a lot. Never had a diff issue or leak.

What tune are you running? What level of torque are you pushing?
Torque is not that high at 553ftlb to the wheels(mustang dyno). Honestly the car is running great. The vent tube's purpose is to vent, I can do a diff flush and see what's up but I don't think it's necessary. Thanks for your guys input though.
Appreciate 0