BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Winter tires or All Season/Weather

We've decided to get a set of 20" square set of wheels and tires to go up north to colder with high possible snow/ice weather. Probably will plan on a few long road trips to where there might be snow. I would say less than 50% of the time there wont be any snow/ice, but colder weather for sure.

Currently we have 21" stagger summer RF tires.

Should we get winter tires and swap back summer tires in warmer temps
OR
Get All Season/weather. drive till its time to rotate and swap back the summer tires.

Last question, recommended options for winter tires and All-Season/Weather tires

Size is 275/45R20/XL, no preference on RF or nonRF since we have a spare

THanks!!

Last edited by dream54ing; 02-03-2021 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:03 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I've read Michelin Pilots are excellent all-season tires, though not all-weather. they're not run flat (if that's a preference for you). Folks that live up there likely have distinct winter sets. If you have the space to store separate sets, go for it. If not, I'd recommend all-weather (no run flats currently) over all-season.

Ideally and personally, I want run flat all-weather for my use case, vehicle type (no spare tire), and storage space limitations.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #3
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I've read Michelin Pilots are excellent all-season tires, though not all-weather. they're not run flat (if that's a preference for you). Folks that live up there likely have distinct winter sets. If you have the space to store separate sets, go for it. If not, I'd recommend all-weather (no run flats currently) over all-season.

Ideally and personally, I want run flat all-weather for my use case, vehicle type (no spare tire), and storage space limitations.
Thanks, we do have the Michelin Pilot A/S on top of our list...
Any All-Weather you recommend? We have a spare, so RF or non RF we are okay with.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I've read good things about Nokian. I wish they offered run flat with these:

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/by...s/?s=275-45-20
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #5
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Are you getting an additional set of rims/tires or replacing the 21s you have?
If you are planning on a second set I would go with dedicated winter tires over all-season/weather tires for best snow performance, they will also be fine in just cold weather.
If you are replacing your 21s then all-season or all-weather tires are the easiest option which you can run year round, but unsure how readily all-weather are available in the US in spec sizes.
You also have the option of just putting all-season tires on your 21s for cold weather. 315 rears aren't the best for snow driving, but you could always add chains if needed.
Not sure where you plan to go, but some states by your require chains in certain conditions regardless of your tire choice if I remember correctly.
      02-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #6
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Are you getting an additional set of rims/tires or replacing the 21s you have?
If you are planning on a second set I would go with dedicated winter tires over all-season/weather tires for best snow performance, they will also be fine in just cold weather.
If you are replacing your 21s then all-season or all-weather tires are the easiest option which you can run year round, but unsure how readily all-weather are available in the US in spec sizes.
You also have the option of just putting all-season tires on your 21s for cold weather. 315 rears aren't the best for snow driving, but you could always add chains if needed.
Not sure where you plan to go, but some states by your require chains in certain conditions regardless of your tire choice if I remember correctly.
this will be a 2nd set, the 21's will be summer tires... we are considering winters, but down part is we are in Phoenix Arizona which is seldom under 40 degrees.
this set is for only when we go up north. We were told that driving in winter tires over 40 degrees is bad for the tires. not sure how true that is??? would hate to have to swap between tires each time we go up north, which is probably going to be every other weekend during the winter (Nov-Jan).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #7
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
this will be a 2nd set, the 21's will be summer tires... we are considering winters, but down part is we are in Phoenix Arizona which is seldom under 40 degrees.
this set is for only when we go up north. We were told that driving in winter tires over 40 degrees is bad for the tires. not sure how true that is??? would hate to have to swap between tires each time we go up north, which is probably going to be every other weekend during the winter (Nov-Jan).
driving above 40 degrees will shorten their life a bit and may not perform as robust in the warmer temps, but they give better performance than all-season/weather in the cold and snow.
If it was me I would do winters. I live in PA and at times during the winter we have temps above 40 degrees and can get snow into march/april when we do have warmer temps. I would typically run winters from Nov-April. I thinking about trying all-seasons on my 22s for the G05 instead of a dedicated winter set with this new ride.
      02-03-2021, 03:22 PM   #8
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here are a few on our list so far...

All-Season
Michelin Pilot A/S

All-Weather
Nokian WR G4 SUV
Michelin CrossClimate SUV

Winters
Michelin Latitude Alpin LA 2
Bridgestone Blizzak LM001
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4647.50
      02-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #9
Roopster
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i 2014 Honda CRV

Quote:

All-Season
Michelin Pilot A/S

All-Weather
Nokian WR G4 SUV

Winters
For winters I would suggest you also look inot the Nokian Hakkapeliita R3 SUV
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #10
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Leaning towards Michelin CrossClimate SUV because it can be used in non winter season if we really need to...

All-Season
Michelin Pilot A/S

All-Weather
Nokian WR G4 SUV

Winters
Nokian Hakkapeliita R3 SUV
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #11
Portocale
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

Quote:
We've decided to get a set of 20" square set of wheels and tires to go up north to colder with high possible snow/ice weather. Probably will plan on a few long road trips to where there might be snow. I would say less than 50% of the time there wont be any snow/ice, but colder weather for sure.

Currently we have 21" stagger summer RF tires.

Should we get winter tires and swap back summer tires in warmer temps
OR
Get All Season/weather. drive till its time to rotate and swap back the summer tires.
Last question, recommended options for winter tires and All-Season/Weather tires
Size is 275/45R20/XL, no preference on RF or nonRF since we have a spare
THanks!!
I bought 4 wheels and 2+2 Pirelli winter, same setup as originals (275/45 R20 and 305/40 R20). Non RFT. Drive like a dream. But no snow...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

If you have a set of summers then would go with the winter/snow option vs. all-season or all-weather. Another good option for winter is the Michelin Pilot Alpin5 SUV.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #13
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portocale View Post
I bought 4 wheels and 2+2 Pirelli winter, same setup as originals (275/45 R20 and 305/40 R20). Non RFT. Drive like a dream. But no snow...
what wheels are those? are they 20s replicas?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #14
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
If you have a set of summers then would go with the winter/snow option vs. all-season or all-weather. Another good option for winter is the Michelin Pilot Alpin5 SUV.
yeah, but we were told winters are bad in weather above 40 degrees. we will be driving below 40 degrees less than 20% of the time, so we might be leaning towards all weather, since they are the next best thing down from winters and decent rest of the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #15
Portocale
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
what wheels are those? are they 20s replicas?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #16
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portocale View Post
Yes.
link where did you got them from? they look great, might be interested in them!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #17
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yeah, but we were told winters are bad in weather above 40 degrees. we will be driving below 40 degrees less than 20% of the time, so we might be leaning towards all weather, since they are the next best thing down from winters and decent rest of the time.
Not true. The crossover temperature in the wet for summer/winter tires is around 50 degrees and the Pilot Alpins are Southern European Winter tires (meant for warmer winter) vs. Nokian Hakkas which are Northern European Winter tires (more ice and arctic temps). In the dry, Summers are best down to freezing with the All-Season/Weather not far behind. At the end of the day the issue is whether you want to give up a bit of dry performance for much more security in the wet/snow/ice. The All-Weathers are better than all-seasons at getting going in the snow but do not have the turning or stopping performance of winters in snow or ice.

Watch this video:

Last edited by Fennario; 02-05-2021 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 02:19 AM   #18
Portocale
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
link where did you got them from? they look great, might be interested in them!
I am from Europe, so the suppliers are quite different. These are made by www.superalloy.tw . If you ask them, they sell only for manufacturers (JLR, BMW, so on). Mine have their mark on, so somehow was made there.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 12:27 PM   #19
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not true. The crossover temperature in the wet for summer/winter tires is around 50 degrees and the Pilot Alpins are Southern European Winter tires (meant for warmer winter) vs. Nokian Hakkas which are Northern European Winter tires (more ice and arctic temps). In the dry, Summers are best down to freezing with the All-Season/Weather not far behind. At the end of the day the issue is whether you want to give up a bit of dry performance for much more security in the wet/snow/ice. The All-Weathers are better than all-seasons at getting going in the snow but do not have the turning or stopping performance of winters in snow or ice.
I asked both costco and discount tires this morning, Pilot Alpins are not available in my size wheel. What size wheels do you have the Pilot Alpin5 on?

I told them my situation again, which is explained above, and they again recommended best to stay with all season/weather (if we dont want to swap tires for each trip). most if not all winter tires are not meant to be driven in Phx AZ because of the temp is way too high. We will be driving in 60 degrees+ temps, 80% of the time and be driving below 40s, 20% of the time.

Last edited by dream54ing; 02-05-2021 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #20
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I asked both costco and discount tires this morning, Pilot Alpins are not available in my size wheel. What size wheels do you have the Pilot Alpin5 on?

I told them my situation again, which is explained above, and they again recommended best to stay with all season/weather (if we dont want to swap tires for each trip). most if not all winter tires are not meant to be driven in Phx AZ because of the temp is way too high. We will be driving in 60 degrees+ temps, 80% of the time and be driving below 40s, 20% of the time.
275/45/20 on the Alpins. https://www.michelinman.com/vehiclet...eSelector=true

If you will be 60+ for 80% of the time and don't want to switch wheels for your trips north then the CrossClimate is your best bet. Thought you were swapping sets specifically for the trip north vs. leaving them on in AZ all winter.

Last edited by Fennario; 02-05-2021 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2021, 12:39 AM   #21
rockhead
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

After quite a bit of research I opted for the Vredestein Wintrac Pro winter tires, one of only 2 or 3 options without buying a second set of rims. I really like the look of my 21" rims and did not want to buy a set of 20's where you get a whole lot more tire options. The Vredesteins have been great in the dry and wet so far, snow not yet tested. I live in WA state where I only need these tires for a few months a year (Dec to Mar-ish) and then I can put the summer tires back on.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 05:20 AM   #22
RenatFromUSSR
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G07 40d

Garage List
Quote:

Watch this video:
This is correct information. There are two types of winter tires. For mild winters and harsh winters. For colder winters, a softer rubber compound is used in the tires. Therefore, these tires do not perform well on dry asphalt. The speed index for such tires is usually T or even R. Which means max up to 190 km/h (T). I have just such tires now at the moment:
https://alltyretests.com/continental...7-test-review/
Appreciate 1