BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

PPF or Ceramic Only?

I'm down here in Sarasota on vacation and ended up with a couple of rock chips in the front end. I had a local guy that travels from dealer to dealer take care of the chips.

I told him that i was planning on having a PPF and ceramic as soon as we got back home. He was emphatic that I should not have the PPF done. He recommended two coats of ceramic and leave it alone. He said there are to many issues over time with the PPF. Said a good ceramic is all I need.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #2
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Ceramic will not protect against rocks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fennario; 02-11-2021 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: add image
Appreciate 2
smomin23311.00
nZtiZia4652.00
      02-11-2021, 11:06 PM   #3
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PREDATOR 007 View Post
I'm down here in Sarasota on vacation and ended up with a couple of rock chips in the front end. I had a local guy that travels from dealer to dealer take care of the chips.

I told him that i was planning on having a PPF and ceramic as soon as we got back home. He was emphatic that I should not have the PPF done. He recommended two coats of ceramic and leave it alone. He said there are to many issues over time with the PPF. Said a good ceramic is all I need.

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PREDATOR 007 View Post

Thoughts?

Of course if everyone gets ppf no one will need touch up done...

And no that's not true

I have my PPF for almost 5 years and still not yellowing or any bubble or anything. I had to take one panel redone and it came off without any problem....

Good ceramic coating can be more expensive but does not nearly protects rock chips... even if you put two coats, it will still be thinner than PPF.

If I were you I get ppf and since ppf needs wax or some kind of sealant, you can put ceramic coating on top of ppf to make it shinier and smoother
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 12:15 AM   #4
Gtz1wickedest
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Just get a good brand PPF and you'll be fine they've come a far way with the film that use to yellow and leave residue all over your car when you remove it.

I'm using Suntek Ultra on my G05 and can't even tell its on. Xpel is also good. plus these newer generation film allows you to add ceramic coating ontop if you want to be extra protective.

Also makes washing your truck much easier. Just make sure you go to a reputable installer.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #5
boostin1004
Private
Rep
Drives: 04 m3 cab

I'm just going with a ceramic coating and skipping the ppf. With the truck higher off the ground than my lowered cars, I feel like it's less inclined to get rock chips. And I have no problem touching up one here and there.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:20 PM   #6
SimbaMel
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Any recommendation on ppf shops in the Bay Area? I am looking at Performance Film Solutions (PFS) and Mum Sports but I don't have experience with either. PFS are well recognized in SoCal and have a branch up here.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 06:59 AM   #7
I've Seen Things
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 Msport 40i MY2020

Ceramic coating will absolutely not prevent stone chips.

Todays PPF does not yellow, make sure you go for a good brand as there are different types - self healing etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:46 PM   #8
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

Does PPF add resale value to the car?

Last edited by DENtoLAS; 02-24-2021 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 09:42 PM   #9
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENtoLAS View Post
Does PPF add resale value to the car?
May not add to resale but will certainly help sell a used car. Shows the potential buyer that the seller cares about their stuff which means other parts of the car were also properly maintained. Not to mention the cars paint will also be in better condition.
Appreciate 0