BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2021, 02:34 PM   #1
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83, X5 m50i

I recently got an x5 m50i, which came with the 22"summer Contisports. I will be moving to Texas in June, where these tires will be plenty fine for 365 days a year.

Here is the problem: I am currently in NYC where we likely have about 8 more weeks of freezing temperatures. I don't drive the car much, and have had no issues driving on cold, dry days. I want to drive the car to Vermont to go skiing at the end of February. Is driving the car up there on the Contis completely out of the question? My alternative would be to spend the money on some all-seasons and sell these brand new Contis, or put the Contis back on in April and sell the all seasons. Renting a car is out of the question because I really want to drive my new car haha.

Based on what I've read, most people feel that it is unsafe both for me and other people on the highway to drive in the winter mountains on summer tires. I have also spoken to people who say I will be perfectly fine. I have seen the videos comparing summer vs all season vs winter tires. The evidence is compelling. I'm just trying to figure out if it's an absolute must for a one week trip. Sorry for the long write-up, and thank you in advance for your advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #2
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Ive driven in the snow with summer's on a front wheel drive before. As long as the roads are clear or light snow you should be fine for the week. I was in your exact situation- I went up a mountain to go skiing with summer tires.

If it starts to snow bad or there's lots of ice...you're gonna get stuck.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanbimmer3 View Post
I recently got an x5 m50i, which came with the 22"summer Contisports. I will be moving to Texas in June, where these tires will be plenty fine for 365 days a year.

Here is the problem: I am currently in NYC where we likely have about 8 more weeks of freezing temperatures. I don't drive the car much, and have had no issues driving on cold, dry days. I want to drive the car to Vermont to go skiing at the end of February. Is driving the car up there on the Contis completely out of the question? My alternative would be to spend the money on some all-seasons and sell these brand new Contis, or put the Contis back on in April and sell the all seasons. Renting a car is out of the question because I really want to drive my new car haha.

Based on what I've read, most people feel that it is unsafe both for me and other people on the highway to drive in the winter mountains on summer tires. I have also spoken to people who say I will be perfectly fine. I have seen the videos comparing summer vs all season vs winter tires. The evidence is compelling. I'm just trying to figure out if it's an absolute must for a one week trip. Sorry for the long write-up, and thank you in advance for your advice!
It's unsafe, just had a group text conversation with a buddy in Cali planning to drive to Telluride. You don't know the weather conditions, the roads, and are far from home. It's one thing if you take a 15min trip to the grocery store on cleared roads you know while on your summer tires. What happens if you hit a storm on your way up, you're putting yourself and other drivers at risk, plus any emergency personnel that would have to respond in the event anything does happen. Is it worth the risk(s)? There is no guarantee the roads will be cleared. In many ski areas, even if the main roads are cleared the side roads may not and often parking lots are hard packed snow. I think either way you're going to shell out money. I know you want to drive the new car but do you want to wreck it; renting may be the easiest. If you really want to take it, get a set of all-seasons and either sell them or your summers. You may not need them, but you'll get the benefits for the next 8weeks. Plan accordingly, it can take several days to get all-season 22s even if they are even in stock.
X5 45e1090.50
GlennC321.00
BigHunk269.50
      02-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Really appreciate both of your advice! I was speaking to my family friend who has lived in Vail for 40 years. Was telling me some scary stories of being caught on I-70 in a surprise October blizzard with his summers still on. Hydroplaned on two separate occasions (albeit on his RWD 328i). Think there's a chance I would be fine, but agree it is not worth the risk. Will either not make the Vermont trip, or get some all-seasons on.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Hard pass. Do not take summer tires into below freezing weather even when the roads are dry. Apart from the lack of tread to deal with snow or ice, the rubber compound is much harder and you can easily crack the sidewalls. Cracked sidewall = mandatory replacement of tire.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2021, 11:58 PM   #6
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
It's unsafe, just had a group text conversation with a buddy in Cali planning to drive to Telluride. You don't know the weather conditions, the roads, and are far from home.
Here is a pic of what my friend encountered along the way. He was happy to have a fresh set of all-seasons on. Snow storm 40 miles out of flagstaff along their way. Traffic sat or was crawling for an hour. Eventually followed a plow but still drove through a bunch of crud.
Attached Images

02-15-2021, 12:45 AM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
and I'm sure you've seen what just happened in Texas?! and that's likely with all-seasons, let alone summers!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 12:23 PM   #8
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
and I'm sure you've seen what just happened in Texas?! and that's likely with all-seasons, let alone summers!
100%
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #9
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Icy roads and inexperienced drivers. Texas doesn't see winter weather often, so most people (even seasoned drivers) are not accustomed to nor prepared for driving in the mix of winter weather. Unfortunately things like this happen frequently in southern states that are use to warm weather and don't see snow and ice often. Can easily happen in a northern state as well with icy conditions; vast majority of cars in the US aren't equipped to run on ice and studded winter tires are not a popular option.
      02-15-2021, 05:18 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
yeah, I couldn't believe the speeds they were going!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 11:00 PM   #11
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wanted to give everyone a big thanks for the advice. Just got back from Vermont. NO way I would've made it with the summer tires. Got 8-10 inches over the course of the week. Temps were around zero degrees for the first couple days. Was so thankful to have the Nitto AS. Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0