BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-23-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

B&W option - why only with Exec package?

I'd love to get the B&W sound system, but to do so requires also ordering the Exec Package. The latter of which I have absolutely no interest in.

Does anyone know why these options are bundled?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #2
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Because some suit either in NJ or Germany decided so based on an Excel spreadsheet.

The dealer I bought my car from is constantly fighting with headquarters as they keep threatening to pull allocations as punishment for not ordering what their computer says they should order, despite the fact that they're located in a particularly demographic area which is VASTLY different from the region they're located in. The dealer has numbers to back up their argument, but the suit is a moron and can't look beyond what a pie chart is telling him despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #3
1CA
Rep
Drives: .

Someone else posted that the Harman Kardon system is no longer available due to supply constraints.

In the configurator, the B&W system is not listed in the exec package. Is it wrong?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #4
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CA View Post
Someone else posted that the Harman Kardon system is no longer available due to supply constraints.

In the configurator, the B&W system is not listed in the exec package. Is it wrong?
The B&W isn't part of the Exec Package, but if you want to order the B&W you then have to add the Exec Package.

I'm wondering if the HK is truly out of stock, if they'd let me order the B&W without the Exec Package as an exception to the rule.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #5
1CA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill View Post
The B&W isn't part of the Exec Package, but if you want to order the B&W you then have to add the Exec Package.

I'm wondering if the HK is truly out of stock, if they'd let me order the B&W without the Exec Package as an exception to the rule.
Oh I see. Though, even when I add the exec package to the build I don't see B&W anywhere in the configurator.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #6
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Oh I see. Though, even when I add the exec package to the build I don't see B&W anywhere in the configurator.
Try M50i build.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 07:14 PM   #7
1CA
Rep

Quote:
Try M50i build.
Got it. Not available on xDrive 40i.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #8
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Try M50i build.
Got it. Not available on xDrive 40i.
Not at the moment it seems, but I was almost certain it was in 2020.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:29 AM   #9
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Not at the moment it seems, but I was almost certain it was in 2020.
It was indeed available in the 2020 build and removed for the 2021 build only available as an option on the M50i.

And it does appear that HK has been discontinued at least for the foreseeable future due to supply issues. Please refer to the following link for reference:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1802281
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:36 AM   #10
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

Quote:

I highly doubt this as they removed it as an option for the 40i due to supply issues in the first place. You'll probably have to do what I did and get the M50i. But it never hurts to ask!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #11
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Quote:

I highly doubt this as they removed it as an option for the 40i due to supply issues in the first place. You'll probably have to do what I did and get the M50i. But it never hurts to ask!
I am in fact ordering the M50i

The issue is that I would like the B&W sound system and am happy to pay the $3,400 for it, but I don't want the Exec Package that BMW is bundling with it.

Of the 6 components of the Exec Package, I don't want any of them.

Sky Lounge: I don't like the dots on the panoramic roof.

Gesture Control: I hear it doesn't work well.

Glass Controls: I don't like them.

HUD: I won't use.

Rear Shades: I don't want and won't use.

Headlights: I rarely if ever drive at night and these are dumbed down in the U.S.

All this made much worse if the H&K system is not available for the M50i and I get stuck with the base sound system in a $90k luxury car after wanting the top end system.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #12
Lance Alot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M50i

Quote:

The issue is that I would like the B&W sound system and am happy to pay the $3,400 for it, but I don't want the Exec Package that BMW is bundling with it.
Is B&W not available with the premium package? As for
HUD, it is hands down one of my favorite features BMW ever added. Have you tried it for a while before deciding you won’t use it? I hear you on the other 5 options, but I got them anyway. The laser lights have potential, but I DO drive at night.

Last edited by Lance Alot; 02-24-2021 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #13
TXDroneRacer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp, 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:

HUD: I won't use.

All this made much worse if the H&K system is not available for the M50i and I get stuck with the base sound system in a $90k luxury car after wanting the top end system.
Wow, I love the HUD. Keeps me out of trouble having the speed limit showing on my windshield. Have you had a BMW with speed limit info on the HUD?

I agree... $90k vehicle with base sound... No way!
Appreciate 0