BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #1
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

Do dealers not normally set tire pressures before delivery?

Picked up my ordered 2021 X6 sDrive 40i from the dealer, and afterwards noticed that all of my tire pressures were 40 psi via the TPMS screen. I have the standard 275 45R20 Scorpion Zero A/S RFTs and the recommended pressures are 32 front / 38 rear. Had to depressurize the tires, as well as go through all the TPMS screens to reset the selection from “Summer” to “Winter/All Season”, as well as select the tire size and speed range to get the TPMS to display the correct recommended pressures.

I get that at the factory, they just inflate all the tires to some nominal pressure before sending them down to the assembly line to be bolted on, and that dealers may want to keep the pressure high since the car may sit on the lot for a while, but it seems like they should correct the pressures prior to delivery to a customer. Isn’t there a pre-delivery checklist? The car handles differently with 32/38 than it does with 40 all around. Trying to understand if this is normal. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:29 PM   #2
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

The dealer tech is supposed to check and if necessary adjust to the correct settings. But no doubt the tech that did the PDI on your car was a slacker.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Tires are over inflated for transport. In your case the factory would probably set within a few psi of max pressure. They do this to reduce chance of flat spots while car sits for periods of time during the transport and storage process.

Dealer is supposed to set proper pressures post arrival to them at same time they remove paint protection, spring rate limiters, etc...
      03-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
I tell my advisor NOT to touch the air pressures in my tires. Most of these guys that book in the car don't have a clue what the correct tire pressures are. They think every tire should be at 32 PSi regardless of car or tire. In most cases. all they need to do is check the door jam, but they can't even do that. I can't tell you how many times I have picked up my car from service, check the tires and they are under inflated. One of the first things I do is check my tires at home then put back my headlight control to Automatic because they always change that as well. My last service was the break in service and these jokers told me I needed an alignment and wanted to charge me $400 bucks. I told them no F**** way. The car was only a month old and how do I know it didn't come from the factory out of spec. I'm not paying and they would need to pay. Then they had to talk to the manger to see what to do. Called me back an hour later, They re-checked and behold they said it was now OK and they made a mistake, the alignment tool was not sitting correctly on the tire. BS....you'd think they would have checked again the first time since the car was practically brand new...tried to rook me for $400 ....monkeys.

Here's my little note i hang from the mirror every time i go in for service.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1