BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #1
TarHawk
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Start/stop function putting car into park

Long story short, a mouse got into my engine compartment and chewed a bunch of wires. BMW replaced the wiring harnesses ($4k) and sent me off in my car. Unfortunately my car now goes into park whenever the engine turns back on after coming to a stop when the start/stop function is active.

At first I thought it was related to the autohold function which I like to use. Toggling that off didn’t affect my issue with being put into park when I’d come to a stop. It then occurred to me it use be related to the auto start/stop feature since it only happened when the engine kicked back on. I can solve the problem by disability the start/stop function but that is a temporary solution.

Do you think BMW didn’t connect the wires correctly or could it be a software issue? Would resetting the cars settings maybe fix it? Car is going back in tomorrow but if I can fix it easily I’d prefer to do that, already was without my car for three weeks.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 01:34 AM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Wow, that sure doesn't good. While you can now code ASS permanently off or drive in Sport mode, that is not right and the service shop needs to fix it regardless of whether it was the harness job or something else.
      03-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
TarHawk
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Wow, that sure doesn't good. While you can now code ASS permanently off or drive in Sport mode, that is not right and the service shop needs to fix it regardless of whether it was the harness job or something else.
Shop fixed it in a day at no cost to me. The service rep said something about a wire making bad contact. The service sheet says, "Found fault for parking lock incorrectly applied. Test plan states replace mechantronics. Started a TC case. TC case needed pictures of parking lever. Found parking lever making contact with transmission case causing incorrect parking lock/ Moved parking lever so it does not make contact with case."

Problem resolved painlessly, thank god.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      03-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Glad to hear. Enjoy!
      03-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #5
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHawk View Post
Long story short, a mouse got into my engine compartment and chewed a bunch of wires. BMW replaced the wiring harnesses ($4k) and sent me off in my car. Unfortunately my car now goes into park whenever the engine turns back on after coming to a stop when the start/stop function is active.

At first I thought it was related to the autohold function which I like to use. Toggling that off didn’t affect my issue with being put into park when I’d come to a stop. It then occurred to me it use be related to the auto start/stop feature since it only happened when the engine kicked back on. I can solve the problem by disability the start/stop function but that is a temporary solution.

Do you think BMW didn’t connect the wires correctly or could it be a software issue? Would resetting the cars settings maybe fix it? Car is going back in tomorrow but if I can fix it easily I’d prefer to do that, already was without my car for three weeks.

Thanks!
Wow cant believe ! A little mouse can cost this much damage! Ever since I have started working from home, my connection and the driving enthusiasm with the car has faded a lot. Now, what I do regularly is the "remote start engine" for a 15-minute interval to keep the creeping things away from it.

It keeps the battery fresh (probably) and camouflages their nest-building process. Not sure though if it's the right thing to keep'em away.