BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-28-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Annoying G06 wind noise & no fix

Over the last month my X6 M50i has developed a persistent wind noise from the right side at speeds over 50mph which for me is 90% of the time. Wasn't sure if it was wind or tire noise so I opened and closed all the windows, doors, & sunroof with sunshade open and closed just to see if it made a difference. NOT. I also thought that perhaps that with the extended below zero temps and snow storms, that was causing the issue but now that the weather has broken it's still there.
Went for a drive with the SA who confirmed I was not nuts (what does he know) & brought it in for an inspection. SA called to say that despite everyone hearing this obvious wind noise they could not figure it out and so they want to bring an engineer in. Of course I will have a no charge loaner.
I suppose replacing all the weather stripping might be in order but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
Over the last month my X6 M50i has developed a persistent wind noise from the right side at speeds over 50mph which for me is 90% of the time. Wasn't sure if it was wind or tire noise so I opened and closed all the windows, doors, & sunroof with sunshade open and closed just to see if it made a difference. NOT. I also thought that perhaps that with the extended below zero temps and snow storms, that was causing the issue but now that the weather has broken it's still there.
Went for a drive with the SA who confirmed I was not nuts (what does he know) & brought it in for an inspection. SA called to say that despite everyone hearing this obvious wind noise they could not figure it out and so they want to bring an engineer in. Of course I will have a no charge loaner.
I suppose replacing all the weather stripping might be in order but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Interesting...I had been thinking about posting a very similar question. I've had my 2020 G06, M50i for about 11 months. Never noticed any wind noise until about a month ago and when we were entering the severely cold weather. So, I similarly assumed it was something related to a seal being overly cold, etc. It's been warm here for a week and while I think it might be a bit less (I was on the interstate briefly yesterday...) I could still hear it.

Still working from home, so I don't get above 45 miles an hour every day, so it's been a bit hard to track.

I haven't had it looked at yet, so very curious to hear how things turn out for you.
      03-01-2021, 11:18 PM   #3
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
Interesting...I had been thinking about posting a very similar question. I've had my 2020 G06, M50i for about 11 months. Never noticed any wind noise until about a month ago and when we were entering the severely cold weather. So, I similarly assumed it was something related to a seal being overly cold, etc. It's been warm here for a week and while I think it might be a bit less (I was on the interstate briefly yesterday...) I could still hear it.

Still working from home, so I don't get above 45 miles an hour every day, so it's been a bit hard to track.

I haven't had it looked at yet, so very curious to hear how things turn out for you.
In re-reading my own post, I realized that I'd also meant to add: I also wondered if it was just a bit more road noise from my Winter wheels/tires. I've rarely had it up to highway speeds this Winter...

So, my plan was to have it checked out at the same time I also have my Summer's put on (a before/after drive), as it's quite possible that given the slightness of the wind noise, it could be tires...
      03-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
puckybadger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
In re-reading my own post, I realized that I'd also meant to add: I also wondered if it was just a bit more road noise from my Winter wheels/tires. I've rarely had it up to highway speeds this Winter...

So, my plan was to have it checked out at the same time I also have my Summer's put on (a before/after drive), as it's quite possible that given the slightness of the wind noise, it could be tires...
Had mine in for 2 days. It's not the tires. I have almost 20K miles so they rotated the tires. It's most certainly a wind noise that was verified by the SA and 2 technicians. They are stumped. I was told they "opened a ticket" with BMW to see if others have the same issue. Please take your vehicle in and have the issue documented.
Not sure where to go on this but at $97,365 MSRP it is not acceptable.
Appreciate 2
Pumxee104.00
      03-03-2021, 08:49 AM   #5
Beemertj
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' 535xi f10, 20' X5 i40

I wonder if its a stuck door in the dash or footwell. There are numerous electromechanical doors to route air, heater or otherwise. Have them do a reset on the Vent/AC system. Might be as simple as the Cold temps worked a gate too much and its out of calibration....Just a thought. Good luck, I hope they figure it out.

535Xi 2013 ----- Daily driver
2020 X5 G05 i40 -- Family car
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #6
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

There was also an SIB for the X5/X7 for this same issue. However, I don't see it listed for the X6 but it may still apply.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:02 AM   #7
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Had mine in for 2 days. It's not the tires. I have almost 20K miles so they rotated the tires. It's most certainly a wind noise that was verified by the SA and 2 technicians. They are stumped. I was told they "opened a ticket" with BMW to see if others have the same issue. Please take your vehicle in and have the issue documented.
Not sure where to go on this but at $97,365 MSRP it is not acceptable.
Unfortunately puckybadger, for the moment, I'm not going to be much help.

I took a little time the last 2 nights and did a little joyriding on the highway, ranging from around 60MPH to 85MPH with the radio turned off and the heating/cooling fans turned off to eliminate any noise I could.

I heard nearly zero wind noise.

At least for now, my issue seems to have been a temporary, transient issue or I'm going crazy. I suppose it could have been numerous items, something related to some ice, cold seals, cold Winter tires, a particular cross-wind or some combination of those items and more.

At the moment, I can't really in good conscience ask BMW to take a look at it. I'll do a bit more joyriding and then have my local dealer take a look at it when I switch to my Summer tires in a couple of weeks.
      03-13-2021, 08:46 AM   #8
puckybadger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemertj View Post
I wonder if its a stuck door in the dash or footwell. There are numerous electromechanical doors to route air, heater or otherwise. Have them do a reset on the Vent/AC system. Might be as simple as the Cold temps worked a gate too much and its out of calibration....Just a thought. Good luck, I hope they figure it out.
Semi-Update: Went for a test ride with my salesperson and to make sure he could here the noise I shut off the radio and the AC/Heat completely. Guess what? I could barely hear the noise.
It was 28*F this morning so the heat was on for my 25 minuet, all Interstate drive to the office and the noise was as unbearable as ever. Really annoying. Well, I shut the heat off and sure enough the noise virtually disappeared. Turned it back on and the noise returned, Shut it off and it went way down. You get the message.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
Beemertj
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' 535xi f10, 20' X5 i40

Quote:
Semi-Update: Went for a test ride with my salesperson and to make sure he could here the noise I shut off the radio and the AC/Heat completely. Guess what? I could barely hear the noise.
It was 28*F this morning so the heat was on for my 25 minuet, all Interstate drive to the office and the noise was as unbearable as ever. Really annoying. Well, I shut the heat off and sure enough the noise virtually disappeared. Turned it back on and the noise returned, Shut it off and it went way down. You get the message.

535Xi 2013 ----- Daily driver
2020 X5 G05 i40 -- Family car
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 08:45 AM   #10
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40iX

Quote:
My 2019 X5 has been making this same noise. puckybadger Any resolution? What fixed it?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #11
puckybadger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawzy44 View Post
My 2019 X5 has been making this same noise. puckybadger Any resolution? What fixed it?
The sunroof had to be removed and resealed
No problems since
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 11:41 PM   #12
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawzy44 View Post
I'd also check out this thread (https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1884145), in which others, me included, have solved some wind noise issues. Specifically, check out the noted SIB.
      05-12-2022, 01:37 PM   #13
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Here's an SIB for wind noise on the X6. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...05090-9999.pdf.
Appreciate 1
Shawzy44158.00