BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-01-2021, 03:34 AM   #1
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLE 63S

Placing this X5 Order Today: Any feedback/suggestions appreciated

2021 X5 x40i for my wife (It's a surprise, will be trading in her 2015 Toyota Highlander):

Exterior Color: Daytona Violet (she loves everything purple)

Interior Color: Black Extended Merino

Dark Aluminum Trim

20" M Star-spoke bi-color wheels, style 740M with all-season run-flat tires

M Sport Pkg

Exec Pkg

Luxury Seating Pkg

Driving Asst Pkg

Parking Asst Pkg

Air Suspension

Heated Seats, Armrest and Steering Wheel

Extended Shadowline Trim

Compact Spare

Blue M Sport Brakes (I'm concerned the Blue will contrast too much with the Daytona Violet but want the M sport brakes so really not sure what to do here)

As has been reported, HK stereo is currently unavailable. I'm unhappy about that but don't think it's a deal breaker because I don't want to wait for an unknown period of time for HK to return and will likely go aftermarket stereo down the road as a result.

Pricing is 11% below MSRP including rebates (including a $700 credit for no HK). The dealer Dealer claims pre-rebate price is dealer cost. I haven't yet verified that.

I would be grateful for feedback/suggestions prior to pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

Last edited by GlennC; 03-01-2021 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
are red calipers an option during configuration? If not, folks have been able to get their dealer to switch from blue to red after the order is placed (but before production begins).

adding the tow option (if available) also upgrades the brakes to the same M Sport calipers but without the colors though the discs may be smaller than M Sport. (I'm not entirely certain.) Reference here:

Which brakes are these https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1795865
Appreciate 1
GlennC321.00
      03-01-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Just be aware that the Harman Kardon audio is on a supply constraint, so you'll be getting the base HiFi system, if that's important to you.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #4
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
are red calipers an option during configuration? If not, folks have been able to get their dealer to switch from blue to red after the order is placed (but before production begins).

adding the tow option (if available) also upgrades the brakes to the same M Sport calipers but without the colors though the discs may be smaller than M Sport. Reference here:

Which brakes are these https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1795865
Thanks for your suggestions. Red is available but I was thinking it might clash with the exterior color of the car more so than the blue. The tow option would be great but I think my wife would prefer not to lose the kick to open trunk feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennC View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. Red is available but I was thinking it might clash with the exterior color of the car more so than the blue. The tow option would be great but I think my wife would prefer not to lose the kick to open trunk feature.
M Sport brakes are notorious for "excessive" brake dust, so maybe don't need them? but i agree blue is less contrasty than red on a violet car (how did you order that color anyway? a special online Individual configurator?) one can mitigate dust build-up by ceramic coating the wheels and calipers or other similar treatments or installing ceramic brake pads (folks report varying degrees of brake pedal force difference over stock with different aftermarket brands' pads).

kicking the trunk open is one of my favorite features, so i completely understand. i never even used the hitch in the prior 5 years with my Audi Q7, which i traded in for the X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #6
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Aluminum trim may look good with purple exterior, if not I think the fineline brown strip and anthracite brown have a bit more character than the brown ash.

Think you need to go with the blue calipers over red. Get them custom paint matched after delivery since she loves purple so much.
GlennC321.00
      03-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
M Sport brakes are notorious for "excessive" brake dust, so maybe don't need them? but i agree blue is less contrasty than red on a violet car (how did you order that color anyway? a special online Individual configurator?) one can mitigate dust build-up by ceramic coating the wheels and calipers or other similar treatments or installing ceramic brake pads (folks report varying degrees of brake pedal force difference over stock with different aftermarket brands' pads).

kicking the trunk open is one of my favorite features, so i completely understand. i never even used the hitch in the prior 5 years with my Audi Q7, which i traded in for the X5.
There is a recent thread in the X5M forum that individual colors are now configurable for the X5 and X7 which is how I became aware. As the gambler suggests below, I will get the calipers custom painted to match the exterior. Great idea...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 12:50 PM   #8
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Aluminum trim may look good with purple exterior, if not I think the fineline brown strip and anthracite brown have a bit more character than the brown ash.

Think you need to go with the blue calipers over red. Get them custom paint matched after delivery since she loves purple so much.
I went back into the configurator to check out the trims again. I agree with you and changed to dark aluminum ...Great idea re the calipers! Thanks very much for your input!

Last edited by GlennC; 03-01-2021 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #9
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

BTW, hoping you've seen this visualizer...
https://visualizer.bmw-individual.com/
nZtiZia4592.50
      03-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #10
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
BTW, hoping you've seen this visualizer...
https://visualizer.bmw-individual.com/
Yes thanks that's how I selected Daytona Violet.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:49 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Congratulations, the wife should be very happy.
      03-01-2021, 07:32 PM   #12
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Congratulations, the wife should be very happy.
Hopefully but this will further re-enforce my new car buying addiction in her mind, LOL!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #13
Drothgeb
Private
Rep
Drives: M3, M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennC View Post
2021 X5 x40i for my wife (It's a surprise, will be trading in her 2015 Toyota Highlander):

As has been reported, HK stereo is currently unavailable. I'm unhappy about that but don't think it's a deal breaker because I don't want to wait for an unknown period of time for HK to return and will likely go aftermarket stereo down the road as a result.

Pricing is 11% below MSRP including rebates (including a $700 credit for no HK). The dealer Dealer claims pre-rebate price is dealer cost. I haven't yet verified that.

I would be grateful for feedback/suggestions prior to pulling the trigger.

Thanks!
Be aware the BMW changed the way the audio system is configured in 2019. It is now was is called a RAM setup, and non of the aftermarket amps from BAVSOUND or BimmerTech will work. There is one amp that supposedly works, but I haven’t been able to find a US supplier yet. In Australia, a system was about 3k usd.

I ordered last week, and wasn’t told until after I signed that the HK was not available. I was pretty annoyed that they waited to tell me, and only offered me a $750 discount, considering the HK is a $875 to add it on other models. I told them that I didn’t want the car with HiFi and would wait for the for now.

I was hoping to find an aftermarket system, then negotiate a bigger discount. But after finding out there aren’t any good aftermarket options, I’m back to waiting.

My discount before incentives was just over 8%, 13% after incentives. The 8% came out to a nice round number, so I didn’t really push that hard. I’m sure I could have got 9% or more. If I do find an aftermarket system that will work and decide to accept the HiFi, I’ll want a lot more than a $750 discount.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 07:25 PM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I read in another thread that it's $750 because that's dealer cost, not retail, which is bogus considering how much more an aftermarket upgrade costs
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 02:26 AM   #15
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I read in another thread that it's $750 because that's dealer cost, not retail, which is bogus considering how much more an aftermarket upgrade costs
Agree. I placed my order yesterday and indeed the cost reduction for no HK in the Exec package was $750.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #16
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drothgeb View Post
Be aware the BMW changed the way the audio system is configured in 2019. It is now was is called a RAM setup, and non of the aftermarket amps from BAVSOUND or BimmerTech will work. There is one amp that supposedly works, but I haven’t been able to find a US supplier yet. In Australia, a system was about 3k usd.
I exchanged email with Bavsound yesterday and they say they are working on an amp upgrade with hopes of having it available by the end of this year:

Quote:
We are currently in development of the Revenant PRO amp upgrade for the G05 audio systems🤩. It is our Top priority. Sorry we do not have a definite release date but we hope to have it out sometime near the end of 2021🤞. Please feel free to sign up for our newsletter at the bottom of any page of our site for new product announcements.

Or use our product request app below and we'll notify you when that's ready.

http://bit.ly/bavproductrequest
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #17
Drothgeb
Private
Rep
Drives: M3, M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go FasTA View Post
I exchanged email with Bavsound yesterday and they say they are working on an amp upgrade with hopes of having it available by the end of this year:
Yep, I talked to them too. They told me hopefully by November. But, last summer, they were saying 6-8 months.

Audiotec Fischer actually has an adapter cable and module that works with the Match UP 7DSP amp. I just haven’t been able to actually find one yet. Not sure it’s the best route either.
Appreciate 0