BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-04-2021, 11:54 AM   #23
funnbobby
Rep
Drives: Genesis G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmitch View Post
Please explain that a bit - what does not optimized mean?

yes, i'm curious as well. What kind of effect will it have after a software upgrade?

thanks in advance.

I'm about to order my x5 so i'm trying to see if the laser lights are worth it. if not, i'll eliminate the executive package.

what kind of increase in output will this coding have on the normal LED lights vs Laser?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #24
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
When you code anti-dazzle you're doing two things. I don't know your baseline knowledge of coding so I'm going to boil it way down - I'm not trying to offend you.

The first thing you do is you remove the "decode anti-dazzle" option from the car. This essentially is telling the car that you have anti-dazzle. this is called VO coding.

The second thing you do is you "CODE" all the ECUs that control anti dazzle - because according to them, they still think the "decode anti-dazzle" is still one of your features (VO coding), so you have to update the ECU for your new feature list. This is called FDL coding.

VO coding is the parent code - FDL is a slave code. So if you change a VO parameter, you can simply update the FDL and it will follow the VO code. Alternatively you can simply FDL code every module in every ECU that's required to achieve the same thing.

Luckily the anti-dazzle is a VO code parameter so you don't need to FDL code each module.

Since you have gone through the steps to remove this feature, the car now thinks anti-dazzle is part of your option package - so every subsequent update will follow that parameter.

The optimization is where FDL coding is requiring. Since FDL is a slave to VO, any changes you make by FDL will be lost when BMW updates the software.

I hope this made sense and was easy to understand - there's a lot more detail to it but this is the broad brush of what's going on.
Appreciate 16
codex57214.00
Auricom4349.50
nvsocr755.00
ladra17.50
thezarb14.00
4ML INC65.50
nZtiZia4591.00
SKBSY885.00
aug0211162.00
RatedX0.00
      03-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #25
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
When you code anti-dazzle you're doing two things. I don't know your baseline knowledge of coding so I'm going to boil it way down - I'm not trying to offend you.

The first thing you do is you remove the "decode anti-dazzle" option from the car. This essentially is telling the car that you have anti-dazzle. this is called VO coding.

The second thing you do is you "CODE" all the ECUs that control anti dazzle - because according to them, they still think the "decode anti-dazzle" is still one of your features (VO coding), so you have to update the ECU for your new feature list. This is called FDL coding.

VO coding is the parent code - FDL is a slave code. So if you change a VO parameter, you can simply update the FDL and it will follow the VO code. Alternatively you can simply FDL code every module in every ECU that's required to achieve the same thing.

Luckily the anti-dazzle is a VO code parameter so you don't need to FDL code each module.

Since you have gone through the steps to remove this feature, the car now thinks anti-dazzle is part of your option package - so every subsequent update will follow that parameter.

The optimization is where FDL coding is requiring. Since FDL is a slave to VO, any changes you make by FDL will be lost when BMW updates the software.

I hope this made sense and was easy to understand - there's a lot more detail to it but this is the broad brush of what's going on.
I don't know what Ben meant by "optimized" either, and while your explanation is good, it is unfortunately incomplete as of around 03/2020.xx (I-STEP and/or manufactured cars dates). Now, at the very least *some* cars appear to also require additional FDL coding beyond just the original VO coding to remove the anti-dazzle decode option fully. See Trojanlaw's work/posts in the forum.
      03-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #26
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
I don't know what Ben meant by "optimized" either, and while your explanation is good, it is unfortunately incomplete as of around 03/2020.xx (I-STEP and/or manufactured cars dates). Now, at the very least *some* cars appear to also require additional FDL coding beyond just the original VO coding to remove the anti-dazzle decode option fully. See Trojanlaw's work/posts in the forum.
Yep. Most likely you're going to lose anti-dazzle with each software version due to these FDL coding requirements needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #27
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

Quote:

Seems to me that based on VTENGR quote below, if the VO code for anti-dazzle is done, it will be permanent even after a software update push. Because he said VO is the parent, and then he said "so every subsequent update will follow that parameter:

"Luckily the anti-dazzle is a VO code parameter so you don't need to FDL code each module."

"Since you have gone through the steps to remove this feature, the car now thinks anti-dazzle is part of your option package - so every subsequent update will follow that parameter."
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #28
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardea View Post
Seems to me that based on VTENGR quote below, if the VO code for anti-dazzle is done, it will be permanent even after a software update push. Because he said VO is the parent, and then he said "so every subsequent update will follow that parameter:

"Luckily the anti-dazzle is a VO code parameter so you don't need to FDL code each module."

"Since you have gone through the steps to remove this feature, the car now thinks anti-dazzle is part of your option package - so every subsequent update will follow that parameter."
Yes - that would be mostly true but BMW updated the software 03/2020.xx to make it such that some FDL coding is required even after the VO code to remove anti dazzle is done. So to correctly describe what will happen - the VO code that removes the "decode anti-dazzle" feature will remain intact after software updates. However, you'll have to redo all the FLD coding to re-enable it.
Appreciate 3
codex57214.00
jcardea116.00
ladra17.50
      03-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #29
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Has BMW ever stated publicly that they will enable the feature on existing cars once the US government allows this technology?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:55 PM   #30
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
Has BMW ever stated publicly that they will enable the feature on existing cars once the US government allows this technology?
No, and I am quite certain that they would not do so.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #31
funnbobby
Rep

Thanks to everyone for all of the detailed explanations on coding. I am coming from a lifetime of Acura ownership so BMW ECU coding is new to me.

But being a tech geek I understand what the issue is.

Question. Without coding, what then is the advantage of the laser lights vs standard LEDs? Is it just that the high beams are a bit brighter on the lasers? Are the low beam outputs the same?

I’m asking because the only reason I wanted the executive package was the laser lights and my perception that they’re significantly better than the stock LEDs that some with the premium package.

Looking for all opinions. Thanks so much. This seems to be a really passionate owners group. Similar to the groups on Acurazine.
Appreciate 1
RatedX0.00
      03-04-2021, 06:29 PM   #32
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnbobby View Post
Question. Without coding, what then is the advantage of the laser lights vs standard LEDs? Is it just that the high beams are a bit brighter on the lasers? Are the low beam outputs the same?
Low beams are not the same.
Laser lights have 4 projector low beam lights.
Standards LEDs have 2 projector low beam lights and the two inner headlights do not light up.
The daytime running light graphics also look completely different.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #33
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for all of the detailed explanations on coding. I am coming from a lifetime of Acura ownership so BMW ECU coding is new to me.

I’m asking because the only reason I wanted the executive package was the laser lights and my perception that they’re significantly better than the stock LEDs that some with the premium package.

Looking for all opinions. Thanks so much. This seems to be a really passionate owners group. Similar to the groups on Acurazine.
Putting performance aside, many think the laser lights have a much better look to them due to the DRLs and also because both lights on each side have bulbs. With the non-lasers, the inside bulb is a dummy.

The laser lights also give you cornering lights and the non-lasers do not.

As far as performance goes, the laser lights are brighter in high beams even when the laser aren't engaged. Once they are then not only are they even brighter but also more focused on the road ahead.

The non-lasers are brighter in low beam, that is what causes the glare and why they are rated poor by the IIHS.
      03-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #34
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

In the US - many will argue this point but I'll say it anyway - it's mostly for looks. The addition of cornering lights is nice, but for me 100% looks.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      03-04-2021, 09:02 PM   #35
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
yeah, for me, strictly alumni choice.
[COLOR="Navy"]blue[/COLOR] laser light housing, [COLOR="DimGray"]grey[/COLOR] vehicle paint
GO HOYAS!
:P
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:46 PM   #36
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Since the as delivered vehicle doesn’t generally make changes to the module that disables the functionality of the anti-dazzle, when new software is installed, it doesn’t overwrite it to include it again...but, it changes everything else, which has some of the optimization ‘switches’ in it, so while some parts of it will still work because that module is still not there, the optimization bits in the modules that are changed, are reverted to factory, so must be redone. Some places will do that for you as part of their ‘package’ price, but until that’s done, you won’t have full functionality any more.
Appreciate 1
RatedX0.00
      03-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #37
funnbobby
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Putting performance aside, many think the laser lights have a much better look to them due to the DRLs and also because both lights on each side have bulbs. With the non-lasers, the inside bulb is a dummy.

As far as performance goes, the laser lights are brighter in high beams even when the laser aren't engaged. Once they are then not only are they even brighter but also more focused on the road ahead.

The non-lasers are brighter in low beam, that is what causes the glare and why they are rated poor by the IIHS.

the low beams are brighter on the standard LED's? how's this possible if the inside bulb is a dummy on the LEDs vs the lasers?

Low beam is most important to me for daily driving. are the standard led's higher output in terms of lumens and distance vs the laser low beams?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:14 AM   #38
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

Quote:
Yes - that would be mostly true but BMW updated the software 03/2020.xx to make it such that some FDL coding is required even after the VO code to remove anti dazzle is done. So to correctly describe what will happen - the VO code that removes the "decode anti-dazzle" feature will remain intact after software updates. However, you'll have to redo all the FLD coding to re-enable it.
Well i do understand but my next question would be "how often does BMW have a vehicle update pushed out" This will be my first BMW so i haven't a clue
Thanks in avance
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 08:19 AM   #39
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
the low beams are brighter on the standard LED's? how's this possible if the inside bulb is a dummy on the LEDs vs the lasers?

Low beam is most important to me for daily driving. are the standard led's higher output in terms of lumens and distance vs the laser low beams?
Brightness is not determined by the number of bulbs. The standard low beams are brighter/farther throw than the laser low beams.

Lasers (without lasers engaged):

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 7.17.41 AM.png
Views: 1585
Size:  218.7 KB

Standard LEDs:

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 7.17.54 AM.png
Views: 1581
Size:  213.1 KB

Source: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...019#headlights
      03-05-2021, 08:21 AM   #40
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Well i do understand but my next question would be "how often does BMW have a vehicle update pushed out" This will be my first BMW so i haven't a clue
Thanks in avance
Neither does BMW.

In theory it should eventually be three times a year to mimic their major software release schedule.
LexxM31697.50
codex57214.00
      03-05-2021, 10:32 AM   #41
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Thanks in avance
Mine was a mid or late November build, yet it came with the July software instead of the November one. So apparently neither does the factory. Still waiting on that November update (not stressed cuz nothing interesting in it).

Meanwhile, my Tesla has received at least one (maybe two, can't remember) updates since I've gotten the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 12:32 PM   #42
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:

In addition to the information TurtleBoy has provided, you should also consider that if you get laser and enable anti dazzle, you'll essentially have your high beams on 95% of the time.

Because the anti dazzle adjusts the projection at all times, your car should run high beams exclusively at most times.

To be fair mine haven't been coded yet so this is a bit of theory based on an understanding of the system but hasn't been tested in the real world by me.
      03-05-2021, 12:44 PM   #43
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Because the anti dazzle adjusts the projection at all times, your car should run high beams exclusively at most times.

To be fair mine haven't been coded yet so this is a bit of theory based on an understanding of the system but hasn't been tested in the real world by me.
I could be wrong but I believe that the light conditions for the high beam will also need to be met in order for them to kick on. In other words, coding the anti-dazzle doesn't change the light level required for the auto high beams to turn on. I'm sure someone who has done the coding can confirm/correct that.
      03-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #44
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
I could be wrong but I believe that the light conditions for the high beam will also need to be met in order for them to kick on. In other words, coding the anti-dazzle doesn't change the light level required for the auto high beams to turn on. I'm sure someone who has done the coding can confirm/correct that.
I believe that's true as well but I'm basing my theory on my driving experience thus far.

I live in a quiet neighborhood and even though are streets are well lit, around twilight the auto high beams will usually kick on if there's no cars around. Leads me to believe if I had anti-dazzle and there were cars around it would still kick on and adjust the projection accordingly.

Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge can shed some light (LOL...see what I did there?) on this.