BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-02-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Driving Assist Professional Package: Panic Braking

Radar cruise control is an awesome feature and a must have for me. I usually set the distance to the closest possible. It maintains that distance with aplomb, but one thing that worries me is panic braking and the limitations of this cruise control.

My S7 also had radar cruise control. I used it continuously without issue as it would slow me down to a complete stop in heavy traffic even under moderate braking. However, one day, while driving in LA traffic on the 5 around a semi-blind corner under an overpass, traffic, which was moving at 60, careened to a halt. My car beeped at me and tried to slow down but I had to intervene and slam on the brakes myself. I don't know if the car would have stopped on its own as I didn't give it a chance, but based on the rate of slowing, I didn't feel like it would have and I made a split-second decision to slam on the brakes myself.

Which brings me to my question: what are the limits of our system? If I can slam on the brakes and prevent that accident under those panic situations, can I just blindly assume my car will do the same?

Has anyone else allowed their car to panic brake under a similar scenario without intervening?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Under normal circumstances/limitations, it will brake for you if needed. A number of member have posted instances when it did it for them. It occurs very late though so most folks will start braking before it does. Once it senses the need to brake it will precondition the brakes so it is easier for you to stop quicker.
      03-02-2021, 05:32 PM   #3
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

I’m interested too, I’ve had it slow and stop at a stoplight before but also At times my brain has taken over because it feels we are approaching stopped traffic to fast.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 05:46 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
I’m interested too, I’ve had it slow and stop at a stoplight before but also At times my brain has taken over because it feels we are approaching stopped traffic to fast.
Do not count on it always braking when coming up on stopped traffic. That is currently one of the limitations for all the systems out there. While things are getting better all the time it is still a shortfall with the systems out there. That is why you see stories of Tesla's running into fire engines, many times the algorithms throw out stopped objects so they aren't considered.

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-au...y-crash-radar/
Stoshu491.00
      03-02-2021, 09:40 PM   #5
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
Which brings me to my question: what are the limits of our system? If I can slam on the brakes and prevent that accident under those panic situations, can I just blindly assume my car will do the same?
Accident avoidance crash testing was done betwen 50 to 70km/h:
Appreciate 5
araje58.50
Frenetic477.50
TSMC55126.50
Russ103300.50
      03-02-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
Accident avoidance crash testing was done betwen 50 to 70km/h:
Awesome video
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #7
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Nice videos, but I don't know if I would still trust the car to stop on its own if the car in front me slammed on the brakes. It's a lot of blind faith to hand over and it's not like I can knowingly test this as if I'm wrong, well, woops.

I'm just hoping there's someone out there that has experienced--unwittingly of course--a situation where the car in front slammed on the brakes to a complete stop while using adaptive cruise control on the freeway while travelling at least 60 MPHs.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Do not count on it always braking when coming up on stopped traffic. That is currently one of the limitations for all the systems out there. While things are getting better all the time it is still a shortfall with the systems out there. That is why you see stories of Tesla's running into fire engines, many times the algorithms throw out stopped objects so they aren't considered.

Teslas run into parked vehicles because it does not see the parked vehicle as well as it sees moving vehicles. Also, they aren't in the travel lane generally.

This is also quite rare.

My Tesla has done quite well in panic braking....provided it has a lock on the car ahead of time. If you round a corner and there's a wall of stopped traffic, well, no ACC system can anticipate that any better than you can, and likely less so because you have more sensors with a wider range of coverage than it does. I did encounter this one time in my Tesla. It was around a curve, the car in front of me was moving at highway speed and all of a sudden dove out of the lane because traffic ahead was at a dead stop. The car did start braking but I wasn't sure it was going to make it so I took over and applied max brakes.

No active cruise system on any car is perfect yet. That's why you must monitor the situation. After a while you learn where the system has limitations and either disengage the system or pay even more attention. I've only test driven the X5's ACC system, not lived with it, but it seemed more than up for the task of driving in heavy traffic. You just can't be staring at your phone while driving or sooner or later it'll catch up with you.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:44 PM   #9
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Emergency auto-braking in the X5 is like the crash barricade on an aircraft carrier if you miss the cable. It's there, and it may work, but you won't want to be using it. Oh my, no.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      03-03-2021, 01:12 PM   #10
NavyGimp
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post

Completely agree with this! It does pretty well in most circumstances when traffic is moving. But, when I come up to a car at a stop light that was initially beyond the radar, it makes no indication of stopping. I once allowed it to come a bit too close for comfort when I had to stomp on the brakes because it wasn't even attempting to slow down. I also find that it aggressively slows down when the car in front of you moves into a turn lane and continues to do so well beyond when the car isn't a factor. So, I have to give her a little right pedal so the people behind me aren't screaming up on me.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 04:05 PM   #11
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGimp View Post
Completely agree with this! It does pretty well in most circumstances when traffic is moving. But, when I come up to a car at a stop light that was initially beyond the radar, it makes no indication of stopping. I once allowed it to come a bit too close for comfort when I had to stomp on the brakes because it wasn't even attempting to slow down. I also find that it aggressively slows down when the car in front of you moves into a turn lane and continues to do so well beyond when the car isn't a factor. So, I have to give her a little right pedal so the people behind me aren't screaming up on me.
Radars ignore static objects when travelling over a certain speed, as they can cause false positives. Visual by camera is better.
Appreciate 2
ifr1196.50
      03-03-2021, 04:13 PM   #12
chrisnack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 (G05) 50i

Very cool video.

Times that the systems have saved me from being an idiot, usually the audio alerts were enough to get my attention that I wasn't paying attention Not sure i've ever had it fully brake for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 04:14 PM   #13
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

It saved me once - was fortunately crawling along in traffic and a pedestrian wanting to cross the road decided they no longer wanted to wait for the signals and stepped out in front of my car. I reached for the brakes but just as I was about to slam down on them the car applied the brakes HARD for me instead.
The idiot carried on crossing as though nothing had even happened - not a care in the world.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 07:38 PM   #14
njapilot1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

There's a thread in this forum somewhere that describes what you are looking for. Owner was driving at 70 plus in heavy traffic when an accident occurred a few cars ahead of him. Before he could hit the brakes, his X5 sensed an imminent frontal impact into the car in front of him as well as an imminent impact to his car from the car behind him. The X5 swerved to the left into the median and braked while the car behind him slammed into the car that was in front of him. All without him doing anything. At least I think I got all of that correct. It's a pretty interesting read. I'll post the link if I can find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 04:34 PM   #15
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

does the auto brake emergency stop works at all times even if I have active cruise controll off and just "manually " drive tue car?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #16
Benztir
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
I had a weird experience this week.
Pulling out of driveway and almost hit a car backing out I did not see. But there was no braking and no alerts, just the car honking.
My Audi would tell me visually if a car was coming on the rear camera with a red arrow looking thing and would also break quickly if I continued.

I don’t trust the BMW system, even considered bringing it in to get checked as it’s a 2 month old car.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #17
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benztir View Post
I had a weird experience this week.
Pulling out of driveway and almost hit a car backing out I did not see. But there was no braking and no alerts, just the car honking.
My Audi would tell me visually if a car was coming on the rear camera with a red arrow looking thing and would also break quickly if I continued.

I don’t trust the BMW system, even considered bringing it in to get checked as it’s a 2 month old car.
Assume it was turned on in iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 09:25 AM   #18
Benztir
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Yeah, I had to go check after that happened. Thought maybe I had disabled it when I reduced the Lane Departure craziness.
But no, all is on. It could be that the driver was exaggerating with his honk and was further away.
I do miss the visual indicator I had in Audio on the Rear Camera to say incoming car from the left or right side.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 01:50 PM   #19
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I've had to deactivate it. It kept slamming on the brakes as I was backing out of my narrow garage.
Appreciate 0