BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Garage List
Arrow What wax do you use on your bimmer(s)?

What wax do you use on your bimmer(s)? There's always question about how we do take care of our cars. Do you just go to the next car wash and have it clean or do you put extra effort and really look into the car more in detail? Any of you guys experience and treat is much appreciated. Goal of this thread is to make a place to learn and share experience with our cars. I've been since a year ago running manual wash with jet and completely stopped the car wash after some local advice with some car club members. Share your experience.

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 2
sspade2460.00
      06-26-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
I don't have my M240 yet, but I've been primarily using Collinite 845 for 10+ years. I've tried a number of others but keep coming back
Congrats on the M240i! Hope we can see some pics of it once you've it! There's a nice thread here where you could post pictures!

Regarding the wax it sounds interesting!

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 2
H2O_Doc511.50
      06-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I use Groit’s Liquid Gloss Poly Wax.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/liquid-...wax-16-ounces/
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 11:42 AM   #4
gary_william
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Is traditional wax outdated? Seems like there are better shining and longer lasting options. Griots ceramic 3-1 spray wax comes to mind.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 11:49 AM   #5
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_william View Post
Is traditional wax outdated? Seems like there are better shining and longer lasting options. Griots ceramic 3-1 spray wax comes to mind.
For my understanding when it comes to wax and ceramic coating for cars, one is not “better” than the other. Each has its own strengths and reasons why it’s a better choice for certain car owners. If you feel like you have to choose between one or the other, you should stop focusing on which one is best and start asking which one is best for you. Or, if you’re the kind of person who hates trade-offs, there’s a path for you that includes wax AND ceramics. Tricky, huh?

Let’s dig into this trick question and peel back the layers of ceramics vs. wax.

WAX – THE TRADITIONAL BEAUTIFIERS
For decades, natural wax products, especially those formulated with carnauba wax, were the standard choice for adding a warm glow, improved shine and a certain measure of protection to any car’s paint.

All of those still hold true for wax today, whether it’s a paste, liquid or spray-on formula. Wax continues to be the #1 choice to use on collectible cars, show cars or anytime a driver prioritizes that glossy, wet look and warm glow. However, wax is a natural product that spreads across your car’s clear coat in a thin water-repellant (not waterproof) layer. Weather, car washes and daily use wear away that thin layer of wax in a matter of weeks or, at best, a few months.

In other words, wax is great for beautifying your car or truck but provides average long-lasting paint protection.

On the other hand, if you use your car regularly, leave it exposed to the elements or just prioritize protection over wax’s trademark glow, it might be time to apply a ceramic treatment to your car’s surface.

CERAMIC COATINGS – A MORE LASTING PROTECTANT
In the 21st century, the detailing world enjoyed its first major breakthrough with the invention of ceramic coatings. Applying a ceramic coating brings incredible shine and a durable shield of protection that chemically bonds with the finish of your car. This protective layer resists all kinds of soils, repels water, prevents water spotting and shields your car from UV rays, so the finish stays cleaner and looks better for longer than it would even with a wax.

While wax may last a few weeks, many ceramic products protect your car for a year or more, but they can be difficult to apply at home. Professionally applied coatings, on the other hand, can withstand years of heavy use, which makes them an outstanding choice for protecting daily drivers or cars that are regularly exposed to the weather. However, cost and downtime are the considerable downsides to having your car professionally treated with ceramic coatings. Be prepared to spend up to thousands of dollars for the service, plan on going without your car for up to a week and start thinking about a rental car and those added costs while your car is at the detail shop.

THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS
For uncompromising drivers, the good news is you can use wax and a ceramic coating together. You can either wax your car first and then apply a layer of ceramic coating or get a product that’s formulated with both wax and ceramic components all in one, convenient formula.

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2022, 12:13 PM   #6
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I use Collinite 845 or sometimes mother’s paste wax. I like both but probably like the Collinite better.

Ceramic coating makes sense for some applications but it’s not all it’s touted to be IMO. Wax was dead for a bit but I think the downsides of ceramic became known after the honeymoon phase and most new products are some sort of hybrid ceramic wax (usually ceramic is only in the name making them a total gimmick).

There is no ideal solution that has no downsides but for my car, I plan to stick with old school, traditional wax.
Appreciate 2
beden1510.00
      06-26-2022, 01:29 PM   #7
tldude876
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, ap2 s2000

+1 for collinite 845. I do my own paint correction and I prefer a wax/sealant combo over ceramic coating.
Appreciate 4
whyzee1251637.00
beden1510.00
      06-26-2022, 01:59 PM   #8
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Collinite leaves an amazing deep warm gloss, but I don't like to use it since it dries up white in crevices and is a real PIA to get out. I also never got into the ceramic craze, it's a waste of money IMO. They are harder to apply correctly if you're a DIY'r, expensive, prone to water spots and difficult to maintain. People actually buy products as toppers to protect the ceramic from water spots. So now you're protecting the thing you put on your car to protect the paint? That's just silly.

I keep it simple and use Turtle Wax's 'Flex Wax'. Don't let the name fool you, it's not really a wax, it's a sealant and it's amazingly versatile. After applying a base coat all you need to do to maintain it is every now and then just reapply a quick coat and it'll last forever. You can do it on a dry car, but what makes it awesome is you can apply it while the car is wet. You can spray while wet and wipe or spray and rinse to top it off. It's not prone to water spotting like ceramic coatings, its gloss levels are unreal, and it repeals water just as good as a ceramic. Best of all it's relatively inexpensive and the amount you get with each bottle will last you for years.
Appreciate 2
whyzee1251637.00
      06-26-2022, 02:09 PM   #9
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Collinite leaves an amazing deep warm gloss, but I don't like to use it since it dries up white in crevices and is a real PIA to get out. I also never got into the ceramic craze, it's a waste of money IMO. They are harder to apply correctly if you're a DIY'r, expensive, prone to water spots and difficult to maintain. People actually buy products as toppers to protect the ceramic from water spots. So now you're protecting the thing you put on your car to protect the paint? That's just silly.

I keep it simple and use Turtle Wax's 'Flex Wax'. Don't let the name fool you, it's not really a wax, it's a sealant and it's amazingly versatile. After applying a base coat all you need to do to maintain it is every now and then just reapply a quick coat and it'll last forever. You can do it on a dry car, but what makes it awesome is you can apply it while the car is wet. You can spray while wet and wipe or spray and rinse to top it off. It's not prone to water spotting like ceramic coatings, its gloss levels are unreal, and it repeals water just as good as a ceramic. Best of all it's relatively inexpensive and the amount you get with each bottle will last you for years.
Wow! Thanks for the detail explanation. Silly question but will it matter much the color of the car when it comes to apply a wax product? What's actually a sealant?

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 02:19 PM   #10
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joao.toscano View Post
Wow! Thanks for the detail explanation. Silly question but will it matter much the color of the car when it comes to apply a wax product? What's actually a sealant?
A sealant is a synthetic coating which lasts longer than most waxes.

Color has nothing to do with applying a protective coating. That said it's very important to make sure the car has been prepared before applying anything. That's even more important for dark color cars, especially black since they show every little fine scratch and minor defect. I always wash, clay, use an iron remover, cut and then polish before applying any base coat. You should always fully detail a car before applying anything to make sure the paint is pristine and clean so that the coating can properly adhere to the surface and to make sure the surface is clean so you don't lock in dirt.

I can't go into all the details here, but there are tons of articles and YouTube videos you can find to learn the process. If that's not something you're interested in doing yourself just take it to a detailer.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 02:33 PM   #11
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

Haven’t heard of the Collinite but I definitely want to give it a try. Sounds like I’ll need to tape up seems.

How does it perform on PPF?
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 02:45 PM   #12
Kernel Kurtz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

I've been using Klasse All-in-One topped with Pinnacle Souveran for many years. Some places even sell them together as it is a popular combination.

https://www.autogeek.net/sokit.html
Appreciate 4
      06-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #13
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
Haven’t heard of the Collinite but I definitely want to give it a try. Sounds like I’ll need to tape up seems.

How does it perform on PPF?
If you have any PPF edges you'll get white residue around them that will be nearly impossible to remove without replacing the PPF. Use something else that dries clear.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 02:59 PM   #14
cardtables
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC, 2020 X7 40i

I’m a big fan of Griot’s Ceramic 3 in 1 wax. It lasts up to 4+ months on my X7 and looks fantastic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
DrFerry6722.50
cjb7621220.00
P111541.50
      06-26-2022, 04:30 PM   #15
joao.toscano
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardtables View Post
I’m a big fan of Griot’s Ceramic 3 in 1 wax. It lasts up to 4+ months on my X7 and looks fantastic.
I've it recommended by others indeed! Good beginner polisher! Link

HGT'2022 |
M&M-PerformanceCC
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #16
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
I like Optimum car wax. For me, ease of use trumps anything. It sprays on and wipes off easily while wet. I'm sure there is better stuff, but for me, it works great.

https://optimumcarcare.com/product/optimum-car-wax

Appreciate 1
      06-26-2022, 06:18 PM   #17
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

just bought some BMW Hard Wax. I liked it.
Appreciate 2
shadowfax1289.00
      06-27-2022, 05:22 PM   #18
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
I've been using Klasse All-in-One topped with Pinnacle Souveran for many years. Some places even sell them together as it is a popular combination.

https://www.autogeek.net/sokit.html
Any idea how long the application lasts on a daily driver vehicle not stored in a garage (but under a carport)?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 06:47 PM   #19
Kernel Kurtz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
Any idea how long the application lasts on a daily driver vehicle not stored in a garage (but under a carport)?
How long the wax lasts mostly depends on how often you wash it. My process looks like this;

In the spring, clay bar, AIO and a coat or two of Souveran.

Over the summer when the Souveran looks to be diminishing in gloss, I give it another coat. Usually 3 coats throughout the summer (just the wax, as the AIO acrylic remains underneath).

In the fall I redo the AIO (which removes any remaining or built up wax) and a new coat of wax. As my garage is unheated I can't conveniently re-wax in the winter, so by spring the wax is long since gone, but the AIO underneath is still protecting the paint till I start over with the clay bar.

So in direct answer to your question, the wax topper lasts about 6-8 weeks with one wash a week. The AIO lasts much longer, at least the 6 months that I expect of it in my process.

My last 3 black BMWs all still had beautiful paint when I parted with them, despite our harsh, salty winters. I feel very comfortable with the products I have been using.
Appreciate 2
      06-27-2022, 07:12 PM   #20
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2015 Viper

I've been a 30 year Zymol user....and always loved it. I tried Gtechniq C2V3 and will never look back. This stuff is the easiest to apply and it lasts.

Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      06-27-2022, 08:37 PM   #21
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M550i View Post
I've been a 30 year Zymol user....and always loved it. I tried Gtechniq C2V3 and will never look back. This stuff is the easiest to apply and it lasts.

I like your home with those shingle colors and white trim.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 09:09 PM   #22
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2015 Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M550i View Post

I like your home with those shingle colors and white trim.
Thanks. The siding is a natural cedar shake coated with Benjamin Moore Translucent Arborcoat
Appreciate 0