BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-22-2023, 12:19 PM   #1
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: lots

Ordered 2024 X6 M60i Frozen Black

Just sent in my order for an M60i and my wife wants frozen black metallic. This will be a daily and I'm in Pittsburgh which some of the worst weather and worst roads in the county. Current M50i has PPF on the front clip and has held up just fine.

Hopefully the frozen paint won't be a nightmare. I've heard that one it's damaged, the only option is to repaint. No buffing or polishing.

Anyone's experience with the frozen paints is welcome.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2023, 12:34 PM   #2
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I would personally not own a frozen paint for a daily driver... especially where you live.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 12:46 PM   #3
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggie View Post
I would personally not own a frozen paint for a daily driver... especially where you live.
Seems to be the consensus from the dealer and my PPF guy. Do you have experiencing with this paint? I'm always the Debbie Downer so I'm letting her pick. Her other choice is Aurora Green Diamond.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 12:52 PM   #4
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812Superfast View Post
Seems to be the consensus from the dealer and my PPF guy. Do you have experiencing with this paint? I'm always the Debbie Downer so I'm letting her pick. Her other choice is Aurora Green Diamond.
I've only seen it a few times in person, but the issue with it is... you can't do much with it. Its petty much the paint without the clear coat. I would get a regular paint and wrap it with the satin/frozen/matte finish as opposed to getting the finish as the paint, if that makes sense. At least with the wrap, it can be removed and reset worst case...

The few folks I know who have done the matte type finishes on a daily vehicle grow frustrated with the maintenance with it eventually.

Again, its a really nice look... but I would only have it on something I use as a fun/show car or something only in the summer months. I wouldn't let it see winter or inclement weather
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 01:25 PM   #5
BKgreyinTX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Just sent in my order for an M60i and my wife wants frozen black metallic. This will be a daily and I'm in Pittsburgh which some of the worst weather and worst roads in the county. Current M50i has PPF on the front clip and has held up just fine.

Hopefully the frozen paint won't be a nightmare. I've heard that one it's damaged, the only option is to repaint. No buffing or polishing.

Following. Considering Frozen or Dravit when I place my order later this week. Live in Texas so Frozen should hold up a little better, but may do PPF on front just to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 10:58 PM   #6
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:

I bought a x5 in feb of 2022 in frozen black and took it to blackout tinting in PA Greensburg area and had Matt ppf on the whole car to protect the paint surprisingly, it’s very easy to keep up. It really doesn’t show much dust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      02-26-2023, 11:11 PM   #7
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
I bought a x5 in feb of 2022 in frozen black and took it to blackout tinting in PA Greensburg area and had Matt ppf on the whole car to protect the paint surprisingly, it’s very easy to keep up. It really doesn’t show much dust.
Perfect. Nicely done.

Go for it. Just find an Xpel installer and take it right to them from the dealership and have the entire car covered. It'll cost some money, but it'll be worth every penny in the end.

Xpel makes a PPF for Frozen finishes.

From their web site -

STEALTH
As Smooth As Satin

Finally, a paint protection film specifically formulated for preserving protecting a flat factory finish. Whether your vehicle is matte, magno, frozen or frosted, XPEL STEALTH will keep it looking effortlessly pristine.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 01:32 AM   #8
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

I have Frozen paint on my G80. It looks fantastic, but I was also worried about scratches and the inability to fix any light superficial scratches. I originally had the front bumper, hood, fenders, and all doors PPF'd using Stek DynoMatte film. The film quality is amazing, I literally could not tell the difference between a panel that had the PPF and the bare Frozen paint. It even felt the same when you run your hands through the panels.

A few days later, I actually got a scratch on the rear quarter panel - which was NOT PPF'd It's a light scratch that can easily be buffed out on a regular clear coat finish, but with Frozen, you either live with it, or paint the whole panel and hope it matches.

I promptly took the car back to the shop and had the rest of the car PPF'd and it actually hid the scratch so it is no longer visible.

I've never been much of a PPF guy, but for Frozen paint--to me, it was definitely worth it. My car lives outside 100% of the time, and I have 2 young kids that may be less than careful when walking near the car with their backpacks and stuff.

I spent $6K to PPF the entire car including regular PPF (non matte) on the carbon roof and lower rockers. Thinking back, it's an absurd amount of $$ to spend just to protect the paint from chips and scratches. But to me, i've read too many horror stories of Frozen paint repair, which to me seems like the price i'll pay to live with knowing I have the paint protected.

That said, even before I had the entire car PPF'd, I actually read and watched a lot of videos on Frozen paint care, and bought all the Dr. Beasley stuff as well.

I think the gist of everything i've ready is basically this: Less contact with paint = better. Never rub the paint with any wax or even traditional car wash soap.

Here is a pic of my car with full Stek DynoMatte PPF.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Chuck W.356.00
CGG171.50
      02-27-2023, 01:51 AM   #9
skyline408
Major
Rep

Here is a great thread on what not to do.. Also showcases how fragile Frozen paint can be if not protected.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?t=1924708&
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 10:50 AM   #10
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
I have Frozen paint on my G80.

I spent $6K to PPF the entire car including regular PPF (non matte) on the carbon roof and lower rockers. Thinking back, it's an absurd amount of $$ to spend just to protect the paint from chips and scratches.
$6,000 is crazy for PPI, but in the end, it is so worth it. There would be nothing worst than standing there looking at a blemished finished of your M car.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 1
skyline4081573.50
      02-27-2023, 11:33 AM   #11
akang
Rep
Drives: BMW

Did you consider getting regular paint and having the car wrapped in Xpel Stealth? I went that route and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference beside an actual frozen paint job plus you save $$ by not having to pay for the frozen option.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 12:38 PM   #12
skyline408
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
$6,000 is crazy for PPI, but in the end, it is so worth it. There would be nothing worst than standing there looking at a blemished finished of your M car.
As mentioned, I wasn't really a PPF guy, so dropping $6K for full PPF was alien to me, but with every car I own, I always do some modifications, so I just looked at the expense as a 'mod' I did PPF the front and and rockers on my X5M, but never considered full PPF.

From everything i've read getting a good paint shop to replicate Frozen is tough, and i'd rather not find out or deal with it. I'm one of those guys who hates any little scratch or ding and I will usually get it fixed asap. I did meet another Frozen owner who spent 10K on full PPF so at least I felt like I got a deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by akang View Post
Did you consider getting regular paint and having the car wrapped in Xpel Stealth? I went that route and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference beside an actual frozen paint job plus you save $$ by not having to pay for the frozen option.
I've read this mentioned several times, but if you saw Frozen in person compared to matte PPF, there are differences. Frozen paint has a sheen to it that I have not seen replicated in matte PPF. When I look at the hood, while driving, you can see bright reflection of light and objects. Matte PPF over gloss just looks like dull satin.

That said, I think if you just wanted a matte look and didn't care so much for the specific qualities of Frozen paint, getting matte PPF is a good option. I thought about doing that too, but the color I wanted didn't come in gloss, and I hate the idea of all the door jambs, etc being glossy.
Appreciate 1
Chuck W.356.00
      02-27-2023, 12:49 PM   #13
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

All of my cars have either full PPF or partials. My 911's have double PPF just ahead of the rear wheels that really take a beating. The top layer is part of a track pack and can be replaced without having to remove and replace the PPF on the entire rear quarter.

I ordered the frozen black. HWHL.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 01:07 PM   #14
skyline408
Major
Rep

Quote:
All of my cars have either full PPF or partials. My 911's have double PPF just ahead of the rear wheels that really take a beating. The top layer is part of a track pack and can be replaced without having to remove and replace the PPF on the entire rear quarter.

I ordered the frozen black. HWHL.
Then you will be fine! This is my first matte car and it's amazing to walk up to it on a nice sunny day. If you are still undecided on film, try Stek DynoMatte, it actually has built-in hydrophobic qualities. For example, it rained overnight, and the car was wet this morning. I just took my leaf blower, to dry it. The water beaded up and rolled away like nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 08:09 AM   #15
darylkeys
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2024 M60i

I had my 2018 Black Jeep JLU Rubicon wrapped in Xpel Stealth, giving it that flat/matte finish look and it protected the paint perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 09:02 PM   #16
Ninja_H
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
I would say Blackout tinting is probably the best installer you can find in PA. I had to drive mine all the way to their Latrobe location before they opened their shop in Gibsonia. And after compare with other's price, I would say their price is fair enough.
      03-07-2023, 09:27 PM   #17
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

It all depends how much you care. If you aren't OCD and you're going to treat the X5 as your daily beater, go for it.

However, if you're going to stress about maintaining it, parking it, having someone else wash it, and whatever else you can think of, don't.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 09:52 PM   #18
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

I have a frozen grey 760 and was agonizing over this as well but ended up getting the whole car PPF’d with Suntek’s 10mm matte film and then Dr Beasley’s matte ceramic coating on top. Very easy to keep clean! Yes it’s expensive but not having to stress about it makes it worth it
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      03-08-2023, 10:16 PM   #19
PandaSPUR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ

No matter how careful you are with your own car, you cant control what other idiots in the world do.

So unless you're never going to park in a public space, I'd stick with gloss paint + matte PPF for the matte look.

That is currently my plan for the X6M
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 07:12 AM   #20
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

Finically received the X6 M60i in frozen black. It’s scheduled to get full stealth ppf. I hate the toggle shifter as much as I thought I would and lack of presets buttons and hvac buttons. And what’s with the exhaust note? Way more subdued than the M50i it replaced. This isn’t progress! The worst thing is the shifter though. I guess they want to sell more true M cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-01-2023, 01:38 PM   #21
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Looks great in that color. Here is mine, after 2 months and 5K miles.

Shifter - I got used to it. Put in sport mode, and it's good.
No buttons - 8.5 makes easy to use climate control. For important functions, I've added favorites, use gesture for distance control, sometimes use voice commands.

Sound - yes, it is what it is. Definitely not an M car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 09:56 AM   #22
812Superfast
Private First Class
Rep

Cool color! She loves tech and it seems to have alot more. I wanted her to get a Cayenne GTS until we drove one. I love 911's but the X6 has it all over the Cayenne coupe. Even Porsche moved the shifter to the dash. Tech is also years behind BMW.
Appreciate 0