BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Need help deciding: 2019 or 2020 (used)

Ok, so I've got to make a choice and could use some advice from owners who know the cars. I am looking for used G05s, and have narrowed it down to two that the dealer is waiting for me to choose from:

1. 2019 Carbon Black (2018 build) with Coffee, M Sport, Premium enhanced (comfort seats, air ride suspension and laser headlights for those not familiar with Canadian packages), massage seats and 21" wheels. 18k km (11,250 miles), in service date of mid-march 2019. $65,500 CDN.

2. 2020 Arctic Grey (2019 build) with Coffee, M Sport, Premium enhanced (as above), 20" wheels. 6k km (3,750 miles). In service date Feb 2020. $72,500 CDN.

Does anyone have any thoughts on 2020 vs 2019 in general? Are there any differences to the idrive system hardware or anything else I should know about?

After taxes, the delta between the cars is about $8000. Priced new, each car would have been about $90k CDN MSRP. The main differences, aside from the colours, are the wheels (21 vs 20), the mileage (2020 has 1/3 the usage), the leatherette vs soft-touch dash, and parking assistant plus with drive recorder vs parking assistant basic (no 360 view, so likely no change to add drive recorder). The trim is different as well (geometric aluminum vs fineline wood in the 2020), but I like them both about the same (which is to say I wish they had carbon fiber or piano black).

So far I've realized:
- I like the look of the 21" wheels a bit better than the 20s
- Both colours are great, but I slightly prefer grey because it isn't as common as black.
- I like the leatherette dash better than soft-touch
- the 360 view in parking assistant plus is cool. I don't know if plus allows for self-parking though.
- drive recorder, which is a neat toy I guess, but I don't really want to subscribe to it.
- I don't know how useful the massage seats would be.

To make my decision easier, I was also wondering if anyone knows how long the m brake rotors / pads are supposed to last before replacement, and what the book cost on that job would be.

Thanks very much... decisions are hard...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

I'd go with the 2020 Arctic Grey (2019 build), less mileage and later build. If the 2020 is a July production or later will have the Assisted Driving View:

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
Ok, so I've got to make a choice and could use some advice from owners who know the cars. I am looking for used G05s, and have narrowed it down to two that the dealer is waiting for me to choose from:

1. 2019 Carbon Black (2018 build) with Coffee, M Sport, Premium enhanced (comfort seats, air ride suspension and laser headlights for those not familiar with Canadian packages), massage seats and 21" wheels. 18k km (11,250 miles), in service date of mid-march 2019. $65,500 CDN.

2. 2020 Arctic Grey (2019 build) with Coffee, M Sport, Premium enhanced (as above), 20" wheels. 6k km (3,750 miles). In service date Feb 2020. $72,500 CDN.

Does anyone have any thoughts on 2020 vs 2019 in general? Are there any differences to the idrive system hardware or anything else I should know about?

After taxes, the delta between the cars is about $8000. Priced new, each car would have been about $90k CDN MSRP. The main differences, aside from the colours, are the wheels (21 vs 20), the mileage (2020 has 1/3 the usage), the leatherette vs soft-touch dash, and parking assistant plus with drive recorder vs parking assistant basic (no 360 view, so likely no change to add drive recorder). The trim is different as well (geometric aluminum vs fineline wood in the 2020), but I like them both about the same (which is to say I wish they had carbon fiber or piano black).

So far I've realized:
- I like the look of the 21" wheels a bit better than the 20s
- Both colours are great, but I slightly prefer grey because it isn't as common as black.
- I like the leatherette dash better than soft-touch
- the 360 view in parking assistant plus is cool. I don't know if plus allows for self-parking though.
- drive recorder, which is a neat toy I guess, but I don't really want to subscribe to it.
- I don't know how useful the massage seats would be.

To make my decision easier, I was also wondering if anyone knows how long the m brake rotors / pads are supposed to last before replacement, and what the book cost on that job would be.

Thanks very much... decisions are hard...
I have artic grey and I am happy with that. Had carbon black before and this is really difficult to keep clean.

I have 20 inch M wheels and like the look and comfort.

I chose fineline because I didn't like the hexagonal.

But all those are personal choices and tastes.

I have the massage seats, nice to have, not a deal breaker. The 360 parking camera however I would want to have. It is a big car and 360 is really helpful every day when you park. It has automatic parking but I don't use it. Had it on my past 3 cars. This one is more fluent but still takes some time.

Drive recorder I have too. Never really used it. But maybe I will after an accident. I don't think this should influence your choice between the two.

I have assisted drive activated. It is really nice to look at. But necessary, I don't know.

I can't comment on Idrive version in both cars. Won't they be updates anyways?

Changing the wheels between the two cars shouldn't be a problem if you prefer the 21 inch and you chose the artic gray

And if you are not 100% happy don't buy it. It is a lot of money. There will be other good deals later.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys.

Neither car has the advanced driving assistant, so the new display mode won't be an issue either way. It looks pretty amazing, though. I wonder if I would want to spend more time looking at it than the road though!!!!

Good comments on the grey paint vs. black paint: that is one of my concerns with Black. I was hoping Carbon Black would be easier to keep looking good since it was metallic (I've had flat black before on my first car, and hated it.) The grey would be my obvious preference, but the price difference is so much.

I suppose waiting for other deals is a good option too, although the impatient part of me, having decided it really likes the X5, wants one now! Used car shopping is always a tossed-up mixed bag, so the non-gambler part of me thinks that if I wait there will only be higher mileage cars with higher price tags after the COVID recovery starts and people start shopping en masse again. Although with the MY21s coming soon, perhaps the 19s and 20s will take a further price hit. Although I'm not sure how, since the dealers are barely making money on these deals given the prices they paid for the cars in the first place...

Any other thoughts before I drive myself crazy trying to decide?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Neither car has the advanced driving assistant, so the new display mode won't be an issue either way. It looks pretty amazing, though. I wonder if I would want to spend more time looking at it than the road though!!!!

Good comments on the grey paint vs. black paint: that is one of my concerns with Black. I was hoping Carbon Black would be easier to keep looking good since it was metallic (I've had flat black before on my first car, and hated it.) The grey would be my obvious preference, but the price difference is so much.

I suppose waiting for other deals is a good option too, although the impatient part of me, having decided it really likes the X5, wants one now! Used car shopping is always a tossed-up mixed bag, so the non-gambler part of me thinks that if I wait there will only be higher mileage cars with higher price tags after the COVID recovery starts and people start shopping en masse again. Although with the MY21s coming soon, perhaps the 19s and 20s will take a further price hit. Although I'm not sure how, since the dealers are barely making money on these deals given the prices they paid for the cars in the first place...

Any other thoughts before I drive myself crazy trying to decide?
Carbon black is actually worse to keep clean than black. But the gray I have now is not absolutely non forgiving too. When cleaned the carbon black looks great.

The parking assistant plus is a real benefit

They both have low mileages. The difference is not so big.

I have a healing you want us to day that you have to take the carbon black one.

Leather dash, 360 parking, massage seats, 21 inch wheels, 8000 dollar less.

I don't want to make it more difficult but driving assistant plus and HUD are really nice to have. 👍

I just can't help you with the differences in Idrive between 19 and 20 models.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

Yeah, the carbon black one does not have the 360 parking, just the regular parking assistant. It has the sensors that tell me something is close by, just not what!!!

The black one is very nice, the grey one is just nicer. I'm trying to justify the grey one, to find reasons to spend the extra $8000 even though I know that in 4 years the depreciation will have just eaten it away. The 360 degree camera in parking assistant plus is a great feature and I want it, but I don't need it. I think I may just need to teach my 3-year-old how to wash a car properly using the two-bucket method.

Why is Carbon Black so hard to keep looking clean? I always figured metallics would be more forgiving!

Thank you my Belgian friend!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the carbon black one does not have the 360 parking, just the regular parking assistant. It has the sensors that tell me something is close by, just not what!!!

The black one is very nice, the grey one is just nicer. I'm trying to justify the grey one, to find reasons to spend the extra $8000 even though I know that in 4 years the depreciation will have just eaten it away. The 360 degree camera in parking assistant plus is a great feature and I want it, but I don't need it. I think I may just need to teach my 3-year-old how to wash a car properly using the two-bucket method.

Why is Carbon Black so hard to keep looking clean? I always figured metallics would be more forgiving!

Thank you my Belgian friend!
Sorry I thought the grey had less options.

360 is really useful. It's a big car.

Go for the gray one and ask them to swap the wheels because you like the 21 better. And try to get something off the prive or free winter wheels, rubber mats, ...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #8
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

And whatever car you choose, make sure they update the software to current before leaving the lot
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #9
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

Updating the software is something I already asked them about. I'm waiting for the dealer with the '19 to confirm it can be updated. Is the latest version 03/2020?

Just found that the grey car has an 11/19 build, so it is significantly younger and would probably have gotten all of the in-line upgrades, if there were any other than the dashboard.

X5 45e: I asked about swapping the wheels, but that dealership doesn't have any 21 m-sport type wheels on the lot so they aren't able to do it. Bugger.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #10
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Updating the software is something I already asked them about. I'm waiting for the dealer with the '19 to confirm it can be updated. Is the latest version 03/2020?

Just found that the grey car has an 11/19 build, so it is significantly younger and would probably have gotten all of the in-line upgrades, if there were any other than the dashboard.
I took PCD delivery of my 11/19 build and it was delivered with 07/2019.63. Ja, the latest is 03/2020.something, I've lost track. If the AG G05 was a 11/19 build and equipped with Driver Assistance Professional, then it will have the Assisted Driving View, Active PDC emergency braking at the back and flank (earlier builds had back only)

SensaTec dashboard was added as a standard feature on M Sport line starting summer builds on, previously only standard on xLine.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #11
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
You won't regret going with the Grey. It is awesome. For what it is worth, I just purchased a 2019 that had every option. MSRP was $83,500. It has 20k miles but CPO and because it had Ultimate Care +, the maintenance is covered through 36k miles - including brakes. See if the cars have Ultimate Care +, otherwise the maintenance deal will not transfer.

All subscription services also transfer with the car so check and see which have been purchased in each car. Mine came with all paid through 2023, including Drive Recorder.

I got mine for $55k (not incl. tax) for what its worth. Good luck. Here is a picture of the Grey.
Attached Images

Last edited by Trojanlaw; 06-11-2020 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #12
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
You won't regret going with the Grey. It is awesome. For what it is worth, I just purchased a 2019 that had every option. MSRP was $83,500. It has 20k miles but CPO and because it had Ultimate Care +, the maintenance is covered through 36k miles - including brakes. See if the cars have Ultimate Care +, otherwise the maintenance deal will not transfer.

All subscription services also transfer with the car so check and see which have been purchased in each car. Mine came with all paid through 2023, including Drive Recorder.

I got mine otd for $55k for what its worth. Good luck. Here is a picture of the Grey.
That is the perfect car at an amazing price my friend. Far cheaper than I can get one for here! Good job! I was looking at adding CPO to the cars for $2k to get the extra year of basic warranty, but ultimate care + is just way too expensive for what you get, and neither car has it prepaid. I would be able to get all my servicing done at a local independent for about half the price! They offer fuller CPO warranties that I was looking at as well, but they are about $4500 CDN ($3350 USD) to bring it up to 6 years / 60k miles, and only slightly less for 5 years / 60k. I'm going to bet that these cars are built well enough that everything will last exactly 7 years
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 09:19 PM   #13
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Any update on your decision?
      06-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #14
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

Should have one by the end of the weekend! The inability to add a tow package hasn't helped. I need time to go out to a dealer and look at the 20" vs 21" wheels in person again, because I think that is what is going to drive the decision. Everything else is almost perfectly balanced (colour vs price advantage.) I feel shallow, but rims make the car, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #15
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Should have one by the end of the weekend! The inability to add a tow package hasn't helped. I need time to go out to a dealer and look at the 20" vs 21" wheels in person again, because I think that is what is going to drive the decision. Everything else is almost perfectly balanced (colour vs price advantage.) I feel shallow, but rims make the car, right?
While wheels might make the car, also take into consideration winter driving.

If you get a lot of snow in your region and decide to go 21", you'll to either invest in snow tires or an extra wheel set with winter rubber.

21" high performance summer tires are going to harden up before 40F and have a low tread life in addition to extremely limited tire options aftermarket.

20" will have all season tires with many options for aftermarket replacements.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #16
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

Very good point: I have to go with winter wheels even if I get the 20” with all seasons. Winter wheels in Ottawa are a necessity rather than a nice to have — a 5000 pound all wheel drive on all seasons drives about as well as a 2000 pound car with rear wheel drive on all seasons once the snow hits — which is to say you’ll be in a ditch. Or a snowbank. Or another car.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #17
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

A third challenger just entered the race. It is a few thousand more than the other two, but is a 2020 with less than 10k miles, premium enhanced, m sport, air suspension, ventilated seats and the tow package, which saves me worrying if I ever want to tow something. The only downside is that it is sapphire black with extended shadow line and black 22” wheels, black leather and piano black trim. The BMW rondels on the wheels are also black and white. It may be too much black....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 12:32 PM   #18
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

Well, good news! I made my choice, and it was... none of the above. For the same price as the all black one I found a 2020 sapphire black 40i on coffee extended merino leather with almost every option under the sun (Premium Excellence package in Canada.) It also has the M package and the tow package. The only downside is that it comes with the 20” wheels, but they look good and will suit my purposes until I put winter tires on them and find 21” or 22” take offs/replicas.

Now I just need to wait a couple of weeks for the car to be ready
Appreciate 1
CarMan77424.50
      06-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #19
CarMan77
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2021 Porsche Cay

Garage List
Quote:
Well, good news! I made my choice, and it was... none of the above. For the same price as the all black one I found a 2020 sapphire black 40i on coffee extended merino leather with almost every option under the sun (Premium Excellence package in Canada.) It also has the M package and the tow package. The only downside is that it comes with the 20” wheels, but they look good and will suit my purposes until I put winter tires on them and find 21” or 22” take offs/replicas.

Quote:
Well, good news! I made my choice, and it was... none of the above. For the same price as the all black one I found a 2020 sapphire black 40i on coffee extended merino leather with almost every option under the sun (Premium Excellence package in Canada.) It also has the M package and the tow package. The only downside is that it comes with the 20" wheels, but they look good and will suit my purposes until I put winter tires on them and find 21" or 22" take offs/replicas.

Sounds great! Any pics?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:44 PM   #20
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

No pics until I pick it up next Friday, but I did get a video:
https://nam12.safelinks.protection.o...amp;reserved=0
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #21
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
So what was the final price? Looks awesome. Does it have Air Suspensions and IAS? Parking Assist or Driver Professional Pro?
      06-27-2020, 11:43 PM   #22
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep

Final price was a few grand more than the grey one, which equates to about $23k Canadian less than the original MSRP. Not the best deal ever gotten, but for the features of this car vs similar ones I’m happy with it.

There’s no IAS or M differential, but it has just about everything else:
- Nov 2019 build X40i
- Sapphire Black Metallic
- Extended Coffee Merino
- Fineline Wood trim
- Leather dashboard
- Super Sparkly Crystal glass controls
- Black Alcantara headliner
- heated/cooled cup holders
- rear window sun blind things
- wireless charging and extended Bluetooth
- M sport package
- laser lights (not on its head, sadly)
- 2 axle air suspension
- 20” 740 rims
- towing package
- extended shadow line trim (grille and exhausts)
- Crazy light-up moonroof
- heated seats, Center console and steering wheel
- heated rear seats
- ventilated front seats
- massaging front seats
- air fragrance package with ionizer thing
- advanced driving assistant
- parking assistant plus
- 360 degree view
- Drive Recorder
- Rear privacy glass
- dealer-tinted front windows @ 35% to match the rear glass
- winter floor mats
... and probably a few other things I’ve missed.

As soon as I get her back home I’m getting ppf applied to the full front and ceramic paint protection done. Then I’m going to run the 20” tires bald, use the rims for winters and put OEM 742 bicolour rims and tires with performance tires on for summer wheels. And then go on many, many road trips with the family while trying to keep the black paint looking clean and wishing I could swap the wood trim for CF without my wife finding out how much that would actually cost...

Last edited by JonnyCrash; 06-28-2020 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0