BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-15-2022, 06:35 PM   #23
Fifthtoe
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

I spoke too soon. The zip ties keep on coming loose or breaking. I have the cel now. I guess disconnecting the negative battery terminal doesn't reset the cel like my other cars. Is there another way to reset it without a tool?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 06:00 PM   #24
maximking
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus7788 View Post
Did you every figure this out? I removed my active shutter the other day and now I'm getting this error. I have a 2021 x5 drive 40i with m sport package, if that matters.it was built in nov/2020.
Done a few cars last week G06,G07 , no issues after the coding . if need help can be done remotely
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 11:04 PM   #25
brian12
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Yes please!!! I need help!!! Everyday multiple times I would have to clear the CEL with my BimmerLink app
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:15 PM   #26
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Bring this back. I just did mine and didnt know that the motor has to have the open and close limit, otherwise it will spin around without the shutters connected and causing the damn Cel. Not sure why on the G30 the don't have limit set. They just remove everything and leave the motor spin as he want.
Gona try those zip ties and see.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 04:27 PM   #27
Blueboxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Worked on my buddy's X3 m40i this week, we ended up removing all of the slats other than the first and last one so the trays that hold them from the top and bottom remained in tack as well as the actuator. This worked initially, but it looks as if the motor is sensitive enough to notice the decreased resistance of the missing slats, which is surprising considering they couldn't way more than 20-30 grams. We ended up using a pencil lead weight secured to the furthest slat on each side with thermowrap, and used the same thermowrap to hide the hideous crossbars as well. Several drives later and still no CEL and it is entirely reversible.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 07:45 AM   #28
antonio_matrone
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i G05

Hi guys, I read a discussion and I too would be interested in removing the flaps on my x5 40i 2022. Were you able to complete the job without letting any lights out?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 08:26 PM   #29
Romulus7788
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian12 View Post
Ok thanks!! So I did what you explained but some reason I’m still getting a check engine light…..
Sorry for late reply. Haven’t been on here in a while. Most likely you got the CEL before you did the zip tie method.
Like someone else mentioned you have to clear the CEL error. It shouldn’t come back again if properly done.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 08:29 PM   #30
Romulus7788
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthtoe View Post
I tried the zip tie method and it worked, I did not get the cel. I actuated the motor by turning the ac on and off. I also shut off and restarted the vehicle numerous times. No check engine light. I haven't driven it around yet, but to those that are getting a cel, are you experiencing it right away? Just curious if I should be expecting one eventually.
Great job. I’ve driven mine around like this for almost a year. No CEL light came back on. You’re in great shape!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 04:52 PM   #31
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Hi all, I just wanted to contribute to this thread in case if anyone wants to get this mod done as well.

below is my little story (build date 01/22)

1. I was hesitant to do this since there were no clear answer if this is gonna work or not but I had to remove my front bumper once again to install yellow DRLs and ones I had clear access to everything I removed the shutters, I also removed the short arms from the motor, leaving the motor alone as well as plastic piece that holds the short arms.
I left connection to the motor intact, besides the main shutters (left and right connected) there are 4 more pieces of shutters that can be removed, 2 side pieces screwed in from the front and also 2 middle pieces clipped in (last 2 I left alone since they are blocking the motor connection plastic)

2. For some strange reason I didn't get a CEL right away even though I was expecting it (but inside I was hoping I won't see it) oh well after about few min driving I got it, I assume the condition were met

3. After getting the CEL I had to get a BimmerLink app to check and clear the codes. The codes I got were:
a. AKKS - lower stop not recognized (will cause CEL)
b. Remote Start not possible (won't cause CEL)
Just so you know if you get AKKS CEL error from DME you won't be able to remote start you car until you clear the errors!

4. I drove like that for few days (clearing the code) and then decided to take a look at the way I installed the shutters motor back (looked at the pictures I took and it seems I installed plastic piece incorrectly) also I didn't like how you can see the aluminum bar that holds the shutters from outside, so I removed the aluminum bar (as well as 2 plastic pieces that bar screws in) and change the way the plastic connects to the motor. The result was following error:
AKKS - upper stop not recognized (will cause CEL)

5. I read all of the posts related to this mod and really couldn't find too much, so I decided next step going to be the e-sys coding, I ordered the e-sys cable and USB-C connector (had to dig out my old windows laptop), downloaded latest e-sys as well as latest database, bought BimmerUtility and I went coding (just a note, last time I did dip coding not counting BimmerCode was more than decade ago on my E70 X5M coding the laser headlights) I had to re learn everting from scratch but likely it wasn't too hard.
After the coding not only I still had a CEL but also got another error saying DME was modified (will not cause CEL)

6. Next step was to try to disconnect the power to the shutters motor cable, the result was Drive Train error, obviously I put the cable back in.

7. Last step I wanted to try was famous zip tie method! Let me tell you it was fun!
a. I didn't want to put aluminum bar back in as well as I didn't have short arms available (I left them in my garage where I did the mod originally)
You can install the plastic elements (the ones that the bar screws in back by itself) so I did and I found few 8" black ties, unfortunately they were not long enough and not strong enough! This is trial and error process!
b. Anyway I connected few of those zip ties and both sides broke almost immediately, I decided those zip ties won't work and I went to Home Depot to pickup longer zip ties, the longest they had were 14" (now I could get away with 2 zip ties connected to each other on each side instead of 3)
c. It took some time to figure out the way this zip ties needs to be connected (one lower side I used one of the holes on the plastic pieces I mentioned before and on upper side I connected through both holes that holds the short arms) after some adjustments it seems that this is working method at least for now.
d. Not sure if this is useful info but if you already removed your shutters and you trying to understand what is open position on the shutter motor arms its the passenger side up, driver side down!

So at this point I drove for couple of days with no CEL! I did order even longer zip ties (black industrial 30") from Amazon, just in case!

At the end this is my thoughts:
1. You don't need coding!
2. Get long and strong zip ties
3. Play with zip ties connection to the shutters motor arm and you will get it eventually (don't forget to clear CEL before playing around with Zip ties)

Over all it ended up being much more expensive project than I originally anticipated but I love the look, I actually might put shutters back in before the winter but we'll see!

$40 - BimmerLink (useful app, I would recommend it even if you don't do this mod)
$40 - E-sys cable and USB-C adapter (don't need it unless you planning to code something else)
$100 - BimmerUtility (don't need it unless you planning to code something else)
$7 - 14" Zip ties (don't bother with this length unless you keeping aluminum bar and short arms)
$18 - 30" Zip ties (nice to have in case if I need them)
$0 - windows laptop
$205 - total

I hope this was useful as well as end of this mod for me (I might change the zip ties) but if not I'll update this thread!

Last edited by boneca; 05-02-2023 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
yoandry695.50
      05-03-2023, 09:09 AM   #32
brian12
Rep

Can you send a picture? Of where you put the zip ties? And how tight you pulled them? Also the position of the arms? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #33
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Can you send a picture? Of where you put the zip ties? And how tight you pulled them? Also the position of the arms? Thanks
I'll try to take some pictures this coming weekend.
I should be getting new zip ties tomorrow, so I might as well replace the ones I installed (if I dare)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 07:58 PM   #34
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
as promised some pictures:

1-2 photos - 14" zip ties installed on driver's side (passenger side broke next day after I made previous post)

3 photo - the plastic bars which aluminium bar screws into

4 photo - the 30" zip ties I received are much thicker (heavy duty) and I had to make holes wider

5 picture, the motor (shutters closed)

6-7 photos - new 30" heavy duty zip ties installed, in testing stage, had some errors right after install (blockage when the ambient temperature is warm), cleared it, haven't seeing it since.

Will update in couple of days.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 09:35 PM   #35
brian12
Rep

Thank you!!! Appreciate that so much!!! Tired of clearing the check engine light everytime after start up !! Looking forward to trying this tomm. Also should I pull the zip ties tight or not really?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 07:21 AM   #36
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Thank you!!! Appreciate that so much!!! Tired of clearing the check engine light everytime after start up !! Looking forward to trying this tomm. Also should I pull the zip ties tight or not really?
you are welcome!

zip ties shouldn't be on very tight, just enough to be pulled.
once again I found it to be trial and error process, try it and it should work eventually.
I'm still keeping my eyes on mine in case if I have to do some additional modifications.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 03:28 PM   #37
brian12
Rep

Damn…. don't know what I’m doing wrong…. turned off the CEL….did the mod, worked for the time then after the next start up the CEL came back on….smh
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 03:54 PM   #38
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Damn…. don't know what I’m doing wrong…. turned off the CEL….did the mod, worked for the time then after the next start up the CEL came back on….smh
what does the error(s) says?

I actually recoded my car back to OEM this morning (for some reason I finally found lower shutters last night)

anyway I feel like I'm almost there, I'm reading error on the blockage when temp is warm, its not giving me CEL but I believe the motor's driver's arm doesn't reach full close position.

I ordered yet another set of zip ties, those 30" are way too heavy duty, let's see how the new ones will perform, basically I'm planning to replace the zip ties again and make sure everything (all movements) are correct before I'll assemble everything once again!

I'll update in a few days
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 09:15 AM   #39
brian12
Rep

The error I’m getting is : Active cooling air flap control (AKKS).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 09:20 AM   #40
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
The error I’m getting is : Active cooling air flap control (AKKS).
I'm assuming there is another sentence right after, usually it says Blockage when the ambient temperature is warm
or
Blockage in all ambient temperature

meaning your shutters either not fully open or closed, kinda my situation at the moment, play with zip ties!
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2023, 08:13 PM   #41
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
as promised little update, unfortunately I'm still getting blockage CEL message almost every time I drive.

at this point I can just follow my own advice and keep playing with zip ties (not getting upper or lower stopped not recognized error(s) meaning they are working just position is still not perfect)

to be honest I'm little tired fighting this, decided to take a little break, I will come back to it and hopefully fix it when I'm back in the mood

did look at the shutters that I removed while visiting my storage this weekend thinking maybe to put them back but not yet
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 09:10 AM   #42
brian12
Rep

Not sure what I’m doing wrong!!! I’ve been playing around with the zip ties trying different arm positions and on the next start up the CEL comes back on….. I guess only thing to do is but the shutters back on 😭
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 01:26 PM   #43
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Not sure what I’m doing wrong!!! I’ve been playing around with the zip ties trying different arm positions and on the next start up the CEL comes back on….. I guess only thing to do is but the shutters back on 😭
I feel u pain
if I have any useful updates from my last post I'll make sure to share it
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 02:06 PM   #44
brian12
Rep

Thank you very much!! Appreciate that
Appreciate 0