BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #23
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Depends on your personality

the shortest method if you have the will, you can just control/command yourself to stop.. which is what I did
used to smoke weed, menthols, cigars, some pipe.. I just said I aint doing this anymore and when the urge came up I just said no over and over and over time the body stopped askin

the middle of the road method.. search up youtube about all the cancers and problems people got from smoking.. pick the worst ones and watch them over and over.. try to empathize with these people feel what theyre going thru.. then associate this nastiness with smoking.. if it gets thru itll be a lot easier to just command yourself again to stop

the slower method but no less effective but takes more time.. stepwise.. either use nico patches or vape as intermediaries and gradually step down.. the key is to step down lower and lower to get off and eventually you're at a level where your body just don't need it as much .. and you can go addict yerself on something else like ice cream.. jk bol
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #24
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

I use vaping as an alternative to smoking. I started at 12 mg juice and worked my way down to 3 mg. It's currently staying there until I finish out school (stress type smoking). Give it a try. I bummed a cig recently from a friend outside of a bar recently and I can honestly say... I don't think I'd pick up a cigarette again.

You could also try like an app that keeps track of the number of days you haven't have cig. Make it a goal to go 14 days then a month and so on...

Have a good support group whether that's online or friends.

But you can do it! Good luck!

2019 440i xDrive | Muffler Delete |
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #25
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

smoke lighter cigarettes and less.. not planning to quit smoking but thats what i d try as a first step..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 12:18 AM   #26
stifendozon
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Vape. Worked for me. Start with a small dose of nicotine vape, like 11mg for a few weeks. Then go down to 8-6mg for a few weeks. Then go to 0mg. Do not ever go back up in nicotine strength. Keep it at zero and sooner or later you will get tired of vaping because your chemical dependence on it will be disappear. I smoked for just as long as you have, and I haven't smoked regularly in 2 years. Not to say I don't bum one every few weeks or so, but it's much better than daily smoking.
Planning on starting this method next tomorrow. Hope for the best.
But can you tell me about Nicotex? Is it better than the Vep method!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #27
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by al3xru5sok7899 View Post
So i have been smoking for 10 years and i want to stop it
Anyone have a trick or advice to give me pls ?
I start to feel unhealthy now
ty for reading , i know my eng sucks
-take a clean white cotton shirt
-take a large drag from a cigarette
-hold the shirt up against your lips
-exhale through the white shirt
-see that brown stain? that is going into your lungs every time you smoke. You will die from this.

Worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #28
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

Don't start chewing! It's even worse to quit! I've been struggling to stop for years.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #29
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

don't be a wuss. just stop. its hard the 1st 48h, then easy. get rid of lighters, ashtrays etc. get some candies or sunflower seeds - takes care of the oral fixation. if you are really desperate then try the patches, lozenges or gum. if super super desperate then try chantix.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 02:47 PM   #30
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennard View Post
I am on week 6 of being smoke free.

I want to thank everyone for their great advice and support. I believe I got through the worst of it.

I did it through at first avoiding triggers like caffeine and alcohol, also people associated with drinking and the like.

I also used a Gym Boss set to 3 minutes. That's how long each nicotine craving lasts. But when you first start it feels like hours.

So keeping the timer in my pocket for a month helped. I would just press it whenever I felt the urge. The craving kept decreasing as I went.
Congratulations! Glad you found a method that is working. Hope you keep it up, and if you slip up, don't beat yourself up too bad - you're still in a much better place and making tons of progress. This isn't an all-or-nothing game.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 02:05 AM   #31
stifendozon
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
Don't start chewing! It's even worse to quit! I've been struggling to stop for years.
OK
Then the Vep method is good!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 02:47 AM   #32
tennessee
Rep
Drives: white toyota vios

There are 4 ways to quite smoking:

1. Substitute with vape
2. Find a new addiction. For me, I found it through blogging. I create a website some years ago on website builder called hPage- https://www.hpage.com and made it like an online diary of some sorts. Then I eventually made it into an article website about aquarium hobby and it keeps me motivated and occupied everyday. For you it might be through exercising, coding, aquarium keeping, or whatever. Just keep yourself occupied, man.
3. Give all your willpower to quit. Now this is hard. You're gonna have some withdrawals. Do not buy that cigarette.
4. Fall in love with a non-smoker and someone who hates dating smokers. That should give you some extrinsic motivation to do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:01 AM   #33
tonni
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi a3

I haven’t had a cigarette for 3 days. That is really good for me as I haven’t been able to quit completely. Smoking cigarettes for my is more like self medicating. I was smoking a pack a day. I’m using the patch and lozenges together. That is really helping me. I haven’t tried the spray. I tried switching to e-cigs . I may go back to those if I can’t quit. I’m 60 years old so I have to think of my health…which is new for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #34
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonni View Post
I haven’t had a cigarette for 3 days. That is really good for me as I haven’t been able to quit completely. Smoking cigarettes for my is more like self medicating. I was smoking a pack a day. I’m using the patch and lozenges together. That is really helping me. I haven’t tried the spray. I tried switching to e-cigs . I may go back to those if I can’t quit. I’m 60 years old so I have to think of my health…which is new for me.
3 days is a great start! Congrats and keep at it!

Nothing wrong with using the patches/lozenges/gum to help. It does get easier as time goes on.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 05:22 PM   #35
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Get heart problems and when your cardiologist tell you are killing yourself -stop. I am 72 and at the age of 34 developed skipped heart beats. I smoked off and on for 15 years prior to that.

When he told me I was "Playing fire"..I took it seriously. I started running and never had another cigarette. Over the next 30 years I ran 35K miles. In the last 8 years I do the gym and treadmill. I weigh 10 pounds more than I did when I graduated HS.

Most people regret not stopping when the damage has been done
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #36
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

just stop it.