BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-09-2018, 12:02 AM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Regrets not getting M-sport Brakes Option?

I've chosen not to get M-sport brakes on my recently ordered GO5 because of my negative experience with my F30 m-sport brakes being so noisy and grabby. I'm rethinking that decision.

For those of you who have taken who have taken delivery of your new G05 with standard brakes, are you happy with them or do you wish you had gotten the M-sport brake option? I understand the m-sport brakes look cool painted blue and the rotor is larger so visually its better, but from a pure braking standpoint, do the standard brakes get the job done or are they lacking?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #2
tqbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I've chosen not to get M-sport brakes on my recently ordered GO5 because of my negative experience with my F30 m-sport brakes being so noisy and grabby. I'm rethinking that decision.

For those of you who have taken who have taken delivery of your new G05 with standard brakes, are you happy with them or do you wish you had gotten the M-sport brake option? I understand the m-sport brakes look cool painted blue and the rotor is larger so visually its better, but from a pure braking standpoint, do the standard brakes get the job done or are they lacking?
Yes, I have the regular brakes and they work very well. No issues or complaints with the brakes here
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11329.50
      12-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

We have the standard brakes on our M-Sport. They work just fine. Tried a “panic” stop the other day and they hauled the car to zero relatively quick with little fuss. However, I think the initial bite and overall pedal feel should be better. I would guess the M brakes might resolve those 2 issues. But honestly even if they didn’t, I’d still probably add them if I could redo the order. I think the stock rotors look too small and the blue calipers would look much better in the massive wheels!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sygazelle11329.50
      12-09-2018, 01:17 AM   #4
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

We got the M sport brakes, larger rotors and pads fill the wheel nicely and stop way more effective than the standard. My wife thought it was silly to spend the extra $650 on brakes. So I let her drive an M sport on the lot with standard brakes. After the drive, she thanked me for getting the M Sport brakes. They're not noisy or grabby at all.
Attached Images

Dargo7230.00
denniss391.50
GOLFFRR10773.00
nvsocr755.00
      12-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Are the m-sport brakes producing a lot of brake dust?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
It's not too bad, but I plan on switching the pads to a carbon fiber/ ceramic pad when they're available.
      12-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Quote:
It's not too bad, but I plan on switching the pads to a carbon fiber/ ceramic pad when they're available.
What carbon ceramic pads do you typically use?
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
On my M3 I run the Powerstop Z23 pad. I talked with Powerstop and they're supposed to start working on getting them made for the X5.
      12-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #9
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
On my M3 I run the Powerstop Z23 pad. I talked with Powerstop and they're supposed to start working on getting them made for the X5.
How is their run life? I'm assuming the main reason to use them if for brake dust. Is it worth the premium?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:16 PM   #10
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How is their run life? I'm assuming the main reason to use them if for brake dust. Is it worth the premium?
They're cheaper than OEM, less dust, last longer than OEM and stop as good as, if not a little better than OEM.
      12-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #11
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They're cheaper than OEM, less dust, last longer than OEM and stop as good as, if not a little better than OEM.
I though they'd be more expensive. Is there any data backing up the stopping distances vs oem?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #12
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I though they'd be more expensive. Is there any data backing up the stopping distances vs oem?
Nope just me driving the car back to back with the pads.
      12-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #13
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope just me driving the car back to back with the pads.
I'll have to ask if they have data to show their performance vs stock once they're released.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:59 AM   #14
Alinho
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Can you please send a link where you got the Ceramic pads for the m sport version
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #15
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

The non-M brakes will be more than enough. The M brakes - like a lot of the M parts on these SUVs - primarily exist to extract more money from customers. It's not likely you'll be in a scenario where you actually make use of the extra capability.

Get them if you want them because they look cool, but you don't need them.
Archived: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport Mineral White/Full Black,2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11329.50
parkstr8562.00
      09-15-2020, 12:36 PM   #16
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I went with the red M brake mostly for looks TBH, the standard brakes are More then capable for most of us and our driving routines/situations

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #17
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
The non-M brakes will be more than enough. The M brakes - like a lot of the M parts on these SUVs - primarily exist to extract more money from customers. It's not likely you'll be in a scenario where you actually make use of the extra capability.

I agree with you for the most part. I have m-sport brake on my 3er and I like the grip but hate the noise and dust. Because of that experience, I did not get M-sport brakes on our G05. No regrets at all. The stock brakes work just fine.

That said, I've not seen any kind of an actual test in stopping performance between the two. The m-sport brakes probably stop a few feet sooner because of the size of the rotor and the type of pad that is used. So, the m-sport brakes might be better in that rare case where that extra foot or two makes the difference.

For me, I'm plenty happy with stock brakes.

Last edited by sygazelle; 09-15-2020 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #18
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Difficult to justify the extra price tag for M Sport brakes unless someone performs an emergency stop brake test from a specific speed and measures distances. And this will only reveal performance differences with respect to emergency braking.... the other differences would be pedal feel but I'd imagine they would be pretty similar. I agree with the above that they will pull more money from customers since they look more attractive.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #19
renogi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50i

Quote:

I must respectfully disagree! I give my M brakes all the credit for saving me from broadsiding a full grown buck just a few weeks ago. During *ahem* somewhat heavy acceleration on a nicely paved road the big guy surprised me when he jumped out of heavy cover directly in front of me. Would the standard brakes have stopped me in time?? I honestly don't know, but what I do know is that even with the M brakes there was almost zero room to spare.

Let me put it this way. I have NEVER had an airbag go off in a car I was in (as driver or passenger.) However I know plenty of people who have and I would be happy paying whatever significant up-charge the manufacturer wanted to hand down if it was a safety option instead of standard equipment.

Not saying your wrong, just sharing my opinion after a recent "shorts-staining incident"!!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 03:40 PM   #20
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
The non-M brakes will be more than enough ... Get them if you want them because they look cool, but you don't need them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
unless someone performs an emergency stop brake test from a specific speed and measures distances....And this will only reveal performance differences with respect to emergency braking....
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogi View Post
I give my M brakes all the credit for saving me from broadsiding a full grown buck
The question is on the same tires, same road, same time what's the performance difference? It's interesting that BMW claims both brakes have the same stopping distance ... Here's why maybe this would make sense in the emergency stopping scenario:

Intuitively the question comes down to, do both lock up the tires at, say, 80MPH? If so, then given ABS takes over at that point, it would make sense they both have the same emergency stopping power.

What the emergency stopping scenario wouldn't consider is what happens if the brakes are hot from a track run or mountain descent (where the driver rides the brakes the whole way down) ... and the BMW engineer mentioned this too!

In THAT scenario the ///M brakes might outperform given their fade resistance and better heat tolerance (i.e., it would take the non-M brakes longer to lock up the wheels at 80MPH and/or any speed)

So if I had to guess I'd say the ///M brakes are probably only superior in the super-heated brakes scenarios vs your average emergency stop scenario where both would perform equally.

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-15-2020 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #21
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Another factor to consider for choosing the ///M brakes is TOWING.

While the cars mass/weight,torque, and wheel-base are all very important factors when towing, one other factor people overlook are brakes.

Yes if you are towing something large enough it will likely have its own electrical or mechanical-coupling brakes, but having the M brakes makes a huge difference. My previous car (2015 X5/F15) had standard brakes, while my current car (2019 X5/G05) has the M brakes; which we get as part of the M package in Australia, and towing just feels so much more stable when driving on the Highway when having to slow down or come to a rapid stop. MY trailer has mechanical-coupling brakes, so as my car brakes - the coupling pushes forward and engages the trailer brakes - so braking performance in my car is very important.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18116.50
sygazelle11329.50
      09-15-2020, 04:57 PM   #22
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

I should note that I personally have M Sport brakes. And an M Sport differential. And the M Adaptive Suspension. And when I signed up for a track day at Laguna Seca the BMWCCA said "you can use your X5 if you want but your 320i will probably be more fun, more capable and safer."

I notice Integral Active Steering and M Adaptive Suspension every day. I bet the brakes and differential make no difference within the boundaries of how you can drive these cars on the street.
Archived: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport Mineral White/Full Black,2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 2
sygazelle11329.50
GrussGott18116.50