BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d xdrive

UK First look and test drive experience

Went to my local BMW dealer for the very first look in the real of the X5 and a test drive.

They had the M50D on display and I must admit the pictures don’t do any justice to the real life looks. It is very good and the grill it fact makes it look a lot better. This model didn’t seem to have air suspension or the off-road package as the two levers by the gear stick were missing. Seemed a bit odd to not have at least one of those IMHO

We then changed to the X5 2019 30d in M Sport trim on 22” wheels for the test drive. It wasn’t an elaborate test drive to try many things (hopefully I will get to do one of those if I get the 24 hour test drive sorted). The drive and handling was good. It did feel lacking the ‘uummff’. It was not under-powered or anything and has probably to do with the 265 HP diesel engine that we drove. Although the model we drove had air suspension, it did not feel any different to the usual springs. The roads were not that bumpy, yet was hoping to spot some difference but it just felt the usual (to me). Tried some of the driving assistance setting on the motorway. Whilst the lane keeping assist can startle you if you were not paying attention, the intervention was smooth and was not a concern to me. The HUD is brilliant , lots of information presented skillfully. IMO once one gets used to the various icons and information layout, it will mean there isn’t a need to look at anything but the road. The seats were comfortable and easy to adjust.

The issue with the apple pay screen popping when putting the iphone in the wireless charger cradle seems to have made its way across the Atlantic. I just left it like that and the phone just seemed to stay on that screen. A minor annoyance that is possible fixed with an update soon.
The best part which I was not hoping to happen but did happen was that we were able to try the 3rd row seating as the test drive model came with it. The second row is electric and folds forward and then you manually lift the third row up. Adults do fit in, but I don’t think it will be comfortable for long rides given the low seat height. The space is ‘decent’ at the back but it is the low positon of the seat that will discourage long distance you. But as an occasional 7 seater and with kids I think it will do the job perfectly.

Overall a fantastic looking car, if only I could have driven the 40i M sport or the M50d to feel the extra power.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Wow, awesome. I could be wrong, but I think you could be the first to try out the 3rd row G05. Pics would be great, for those who are looking for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

In the excitement of seeing the unexpected we missed to get some pictures of the 3rd row seat before it was put down. But here are some others. Hopefully will get another go sometime soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Wing Co239.00
      12-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

Great pics - my interior save for the crystal and I think it looks the best (but then I would). Did it definitely have the third row? I thought production only started in January of the third row - so Park Lane doesn't have one.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

The US build sheets say February now for third row, wonder if it is different in the UK and you can already get it?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

3rd row builds from December but it seems some demos have it. The main London dealer does not - great to hear the positive feedback. Do the 2 row seats tilt back at all or just forward to move out of the way?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #7
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCompromise View Post
3rd row builds from December but it seems some demos have it. The main London dealer does not - great to hear the positive feedback. Do the 2 row seats tilt back at all or just forward to move out of the way?
The second row does tilt back even if it is only a little. The seats move front and back as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:06 AM   #8
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks NK - this is great news, another reason to go for the third row.

I see you are in Bucks - I am guessing the pics are Synter High Wycombe - we are neighbours!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #9
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks NK - this is great news, another reason to go for the third row.

I see you are in Bucks - I am guessing the pics are Synter High Wycombe - we are neighbours!
It certainly is Sytner HW. Hello neighbour
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

I underestimated them - assumed Park Lane would get their demo much earlier - they don't have any with third rows, saying mine would likely be the first they get in January. Will go check it out on Saturday morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
geezero5
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 4.0i G05

G05 UK Recall - Anyone else heard this?

I am still waiting for a handover date from my dealer for my order of X5 40i M Sport which has been in the UK since November 11th.

Dates have been scheduled but missed - latest promise was tomorrow December 6th... This isn't going to happen!

My dealer now tells me that all UK G05's are being held at the UK BMW Distribution Centre at Thorne, due to the fact that this model is under Recall??

Dealer's description was obtained from BMW UK and was quite specific - Something to do with the fact that the chassis 'Bottom Tray' can not drain properly, so could potentially fill with ingress of water!

I contacted BMW Customer Service for more information, but they could not provide any further details, or give me any idea of how long this recall will take to fix!

Has anyone else heard of this recall issue?

It doesn't sound like something that would only affect UK models??
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #12
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkajkmuk View Post
It certainly is Sytner HW. Hello neighbour
Sytner HW was who supplied my E82 135i...
      12-06-2018, 03:49 AM   #13
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

I still buy through Park Lane - they are the only dealership in the UK that is owned by BMW so in theory can offer the best deals. But then get serviced through HW.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:42 AM   #14
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
I still buy through Park Lane - they are the only dealership in the UK that is owned by BMW so in theory can offer the best deals. But then get serviced through HW.
When I was buying my 135i back in 2011, Park Lane weren't even interested in getting close to HW's offer, and likewise, when I bought my F15 X5 in 2017, Park Lane, Sytner HW and Sytner Maidenhead couldn't get anywhere near the deal from Vines Gatwick.
      12-06-2018, 04:49 AM   #15
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Quote:
When I was buying my 135i back in 2011, Park Lane weren't even interested in getting close to HW's offer, and likewise, when I bought my F15 X5 in 2017, Park Lane, Sytner HW and Sytner Maidenhead couldn't get anywhere near the deal from Vines Gatwick.
The only deal on the X5 I have on order( reduction from list price) is from Sytner. They seem to be good if you have done your homework. Almost everyone I approached gave NO discount what so ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Funny how we all have such different experiences. On the X6 I got circa 12% off from Park Lane, but the guy got fired within a couple of months after so I think he just needed the sale. Have been lucky with his replacement - regular updates, very responsive to questions and happy to lend etc. Pricing was excellent. The couple of times I have been into HW, I have been all but ignored but in fairness this was a walk-in versus making an appointment.

I see carwow is offering no discounts currently.

The lesson it seems is to shop round and eventually you'll find someone that needs to make a quota. Look forward to seeing yours round the charming English village that is HW (the Americans will not know better).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #17
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:

The lesson it seems is to shop round and eventually you'll find someone that needs to make a quota. Look forward to seeing yours round the charming English village that is HW (the Americans will not know better).
The G05 has been on carwow site for about a month, I am not ready to purchase yet but received an offer of 5.6% off from Listers in Kings Lynn.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #18
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
Quote:

The G05 has been on carwow site for about a month, I am not ready to purchase yet but received an offer of 5.6% off from Listers in Kings Lynn.
Was this a standard build with no additional options. As I have an active listing in Car wow for my specific requirements and all the offers I have had were at list price. 0% off
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #19
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Was this a standard build with no additional options. As I have an active listing in Car wow for my specific requirements and all the offers I have had were at list price. 0% off
No it was with the options, 4 dealers came back at 0%, 1 at 0.4% and listers at 5.6%, may be worth giving them a call.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 03:40 AM   #20
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Decent discount - I guess it is the time of year when dealerships are trying to hit targets - so good time to order.

Ran out of time Saturday to go see the 3rd row a Sytner - most definitely on the list.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:43 AM   #21
nkajkmuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
Quote:
No it was with the options, 4 dealers came back at 0%, 1 at 0.4% and listers at 5.6%, may be worth giving them a call.
Congratulations. Mine is on order already through Sytner. Listers didn't offer any discount when I was trying to order. Perhaps they have changed their mind now. Mine a week 51 build hopefully I shall see some progress this week. But delivery is only in the first or second week of Feb, so I might as well wait a couple more weeks and get the 19 plates.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:22 AM   #22
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep

Seems we all managed to get some form of discount somewhere - just depends who you speak to and when.

I would probably wait the two weeks if I didn't have a personalised plate.
Appreciate 0