BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #23
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

I agree with the Monaco, Speedmaster, Daytona and Zenith suggestions.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      04-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #24
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Oris Williams F1

I've always liked these watches, well below your budget and Williams was associated with BMW so it ticks a lot of boxes. (for what it's worth, I have an Omega Speedmaster Professional with black leather strap) It looks good with the 993 which is also black on black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
MNoob1539.50
      04-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #25
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Some of the Tissot watches are kind of sporty. They have a whole MotoGP series and do timing for many motorsport events.

I almost bought a Nicky Hayden watch a few years ago, but it just wasn't my thing. Now that he's gone, I wish I'd grabbed it.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 03:28 AM   #26
TokyoCarGuy
Captain
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3

Garage List
Really digging new generation of Montblanc watches. Budget friendly as well

http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/colle...automatic.html
      04-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #27
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Is there a mark up on the Daytona ? and waiting list ? if you can get one for ~12K no- brainer.
The "wait list" is much shorter for good clients vs. someone that just walks in off the street.

That being said, there are VERY few watches to be had. I've purchased four new Rolex's from my AD over the years and they just aren't getting the number of watches they had in the past. Rolex has reduced the number of watches they're releasing (keeping demand high and the second hand market on fire).
BTW: A VERY good client at my AD has already gotten a white and black face ceramic Daytona (yes, two of them).

AD's cannot mark the watch up. They're only allowed to sell it for retail and no more. So a new ceramic Daytona retails for around $11,600 + tax in my area.
So, yes it's a no brainer if you can find one at retail, new from an AD. The problem is, finding one.
I can't even get one at this time. Same goes for the GMT (BLNR) and Hulk Sub. My AD said that foreign travellers were buying them in the US and taking them back to their country where import tariffs and taxes drive the cost up 30 - 40% for a new watch. It's instant money for them.

My AD has a standing order for me. If one is available, call me and I'll give you my CC number instantly. That's what it takes sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #28
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Double check but the ETA movements are used using IWC’s own specs and finishing. I believe IWC goes to ETA, where as 20 years ago or so IWC received the ebauches from ETA and worked on them themselves.
IWC has started using in house movements in some of their watches now.

But yes, IWC uses both in house modified ETAs, ETAs straight from ETA with IWC spec'd finishing, as well as now some in house movements.

Omega used to do the same with their standard date/no date models (1109/1120 movements), Tudor used to do it, tag does it, a lot of companies out there do it.

That being said, I have 2 IWC with the eta movements, and a few omegas with the eta movements lol. Really solid watches.

OP, a daytona is gonna set you back a pretty penny right now. Really, any rolex right now is heavily inflated due to their artificial shortage.

Ball makes some good looking watches with the BMW logo on them, but are somewhat pricey for what they are.

personally, id go for an omega speedy or IWC Portuguese chrono. As these are my most worn and probably my favorites ouside of sport model rolex. The speedy is a more sporty looking watch, while the IWC is a more dressy watch.

Ive got the panda version and its my best looking watch. (googled image below)

Appreciate 1
      04-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #29
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Omega Speedmaster (any variant; I have the "racing" type, and although the movement is older; I just LOVE the look of the face and the rubber strap). The Speedy Pro is also a no-brainer; although I see that watch with more of a connection to the moon landing than with cars (even though Omega does have a long history with racing and timing car races)

Rolex Daytona (will probably have to go secondary market or pay a huge markup currently thought)

Zenith El Primero

Chopard Mille Miglia

Well, otherwise, I've attached a photo of my Speedy!
Attached Images

2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #30
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
The Super Trofeo is a cool watch as well. Not overly 'Lamborghinish' and the detail is great.
      04-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #31
Webb70
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3, X6M, 2 Ducati 1098's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoCarGuy View Post
Really digging new generation of Montblanc watches. Budget friendly as well

http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/colle...automatic.html
Looks just like my Tissot T-Race
      04-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #32
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllRoadPerformance View Post
An Omega Speedmaster variant.
Yep the new 44.25mm Speedmaster racing would do it, the speedy was timing races long before the astronauts took them to space.
      05-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #33
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
Most of the watches posted here have a derth of character. That Daytona rolex looks like something you find in a thrift shop.

Seems to me if you are to spend 11k, everyone should know your watch is boss, not just old men at the country club who take the time to put on their glasses and read the branding.

Uboat wins
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:14 AM   #34
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post

Uboat wins
The Uboat watch has nothing to do with a racing/driving/car theme.

Besides, its a ridiculous watch, paying over 5k for a watch with a cheap tiny ETA 2824 movement.
From the inside it looks ridiculous:

From all the watches posted in this topic, the Uboat stands lowest on the horological ladder imho.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 3
RABAUKE4653.00
N54Yankee2706.00
      05-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #35
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Tag Heuer Formula 1, I have this watch. Perfect sporty racing watch!

https://www.google.com/search?q=tag+...BPQ4tiGlDedQM:
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #36
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
The Uboat watch has nothing to do with a racing/driving/car theme.

Besides, its a ridiculous watch, paying over 5k for a watch with a cheap tiny ETA 2824 movement.
From the inside it looks ridiculous:

From all the watches posted in this topic, the Uboat stands lowest on the horological ladder imho.
It's not as if people actually use their watch to tell time, it's simply a statement. Cheap movement? it's swiss...I'm not watch hero, but i understand a swiss movement is what you want in a watch.

Uboat says, Bam, that's a sick watch.
BMW Says, Bam, that's a sick car.
That's two bold statements

Watches that only honor the horological ladder say.....tick, tick...Uboat also makes chronographs, and their buttons a big enough fat fingers could hit them without a tooth pick....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #37
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

Quote:
It's not as if people actually use their watch to tell time, it's simply a statement. Cheap movement? it's swiss...I'm not watch hero, but i understand a swiss movement is what you want in a watch.

Uboat says, Bam, that's a sick watch.
BMW Says, Bam, that's a sick car.
That's two bold statements

Watches that only honor the horological ladder say.....tick, tick...Uboat also makes chronographs, and their buttons a big enough fat fingers could hit them without a tooth pick....
No.

2018 F80 / 2006 S2K / 2005 WRX / 1990 E30 325i
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4653.00
      06-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #38
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
UBoat says, Bam, I don't have much taste in watches.

Here's something that I think goes well with a BMW...

HKEd homage of a Heuer Bundeswehr which I've been daily driving quite a bit since adding it to my collection. Okay, sure...it's a pilot watch, not a racer, but it's at least German in origin. Super comfy on Kevlar strap and easy to pick up and go since it's hand-wound and no-date.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #39
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I've gotten more comments on my Uboat than any other watch. I've never seen someone walk up to a guy and say, "wow nice generic looking granpa watch."

BMW's are not understated cars, so why are you'll saying understated watches go well with a BMW? I'm thinking we are dealing with a generational gap here...

When I think about German engineering I think of a quality build product that is HUGE. They made Big submarines, Giant tanks, Cannons, Trains and also mining equipment for today's world. It's a country that is't afraid to go big and they did it successfully.

so, tell me again how understated watches that have almost no character reflect BMW's awesome or anything that is German engineering.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #40
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

As an earlier poster said it's about wearing something that is a mechanical wonder. No doubt the U-Boat is an eye catcher but some folks appreciate the fine engineering of the movements and the U-Boat isn't know for that. But if you like it and it's clear you do and it likely suits you so cool. Not everyone wears a watch to go BAM, there are a lot of watches out there that the vast majority of the population wouldn't even recognize as being a fine time piece, but for those who do that's the appreciation that counts......
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #41
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
I've gotten more comments on my Uboat than any other watch. I've never seen someone walk up to a guy and say, "wow nice generic looking granpa watch."

BMW's are not understated cars, so why are you'll saying understated watches go well with a BMW? I'm thinking we are dealing with a generational gap here...

When I think about German engineering I think of a quality build product that is HUGE. They made Big submarines, Giant tanks, Cannons, Trains and also mining equipment for today's world. It's a country that is't afraid to go big and they did it successfully.

so, tell me again how understated watches that have almost no character reflect BMW's awesome or anything that is German engineering.
If you really want a watch that reflects modern-day German engineering, you need to be looking at Sinn, or Damasko, or Nomos, or Mühle Glashütte, or Archimede, or Tourby...not U-Boat.

The Germans are known worldwide for functional, understated design. Flashy and overstated would be the Italians (you know, the nation where U-Boat is made). All of the "big" things you listed that Germany made, date back to WWII, so yes, maybe we are dealing with a generation gap here, and you just remember the days of "big" German machines. When I want to get flashy and "big" with a watch, I do reach for an Italian, but mine is a Panerai, not a U-Boat.

I'd also disagree with you that BMW isn't basically one of the most understated luxury marques in existence. Perhaps Audi is even more understated, but I don't really think any of the German cars (maybe Porsche) screams "look at me!" If that's what someone is looking for in a car, again they should probably be looking at something Italian.
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4653.00
      06-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #42
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
What else other than the M racing stripes on your watch straps?
Attached Images

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #43
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
You run with that watch and that band ?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #44
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
You run with that watch and that band ?
No I just received this strap. Prob switch back to Nike band for running

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0