BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-15-2022, 06:04 PM   #1
hxsvn
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Door Card damaged. What to do?

Got my X5 M50d just this Thursday and this happened already and I don even know how. Gutted. What's the best possible fix?
Name:  IMG_0400.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  424.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 07:57 PM   #2
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

That's gouged pretty well. I hate to say it but a new door card $$$ is probably required.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 07:31 AM   #3
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

I had the exact same thing happen on our '19. Are you able to smooth the top layer so it closes the gaps (I know when you let go it will spring back, just want to confirm all the material is there and you didn't tear off any)? If yes then you could do what I did - light dab of glue on the back (I honestly think I used wood glue - was worried super might eat through it), and then use wide painters tape to tightly tape down smooth the lose flaps and leave it cure. Ours closed perfectly. There was still a bit of marring on surface but you couldn't see it unless looking for it and I soon forgot it was there.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #4
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

See if the dealer will repair it as a good will gesture since you just got the car. When I got my first M3, my kid brother broke the seat belt guide within hours and the dealer fixed it for me without issue.
      05-16-2022, 02:07 PM   #5
hxsvn
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
That's gouged pretty well. I hate to say it but a new door card $$$ is probably required.
Do you have any idea how much a new door card costs?

Or do you know if I can buy a used one off eBay with a different trim & colour and change over ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas8283 View Post
I had the exact same thing happen on our '19. Are you able to smooth the top layer so it closes the gaps (I know when you let go it will spring back, just want to confirm all the material is there and you didn't tear off any)? If yes then you could do what I did - light dab of glue on the back (I honestly think I used wood glue - was worried super might eat through it), and then use wide painters tape to tightly tape down smooth the lose flaps and leave it cure. Ours closed perfectly. There was still a bit of marring on surface but you couldn't see it unless looking for it and I soon forgot it was there.
That unfortunately is it glued down, the other side has lost some materials and doesn't go back to original state. its pretty worn down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
See if the dealer will repair it as a good will gesture since you just got the car. When I got my first M3, my kid brother broke the seat belt guide within hours and the dealer fixed it for me without issue.
The dealership I purchased this from is in Perth, Scotland. I live in London England. Its an 8+ hour trip. But I emailed him just now to see if he can refer me to a closer dealership free of charge. But doubt it, who is that nice these days, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 12:01 AM   #6
vinibabs
Private
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i, Lexus RC350F Spor

Garage List
2022 x5 M50i  [0.00]
There are certainly services that can add filler and recondition/ repaint that

Leather or vinyl repair services are fairly common in the auto world
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2022, 11:41 AM   #7