BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-08-2022, 04:36 PM   #1
jontron
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Interior trim scratches on plastic

Does anyone else find the interior plastics scratch extreme easily??

All 4 of the door trim pieces have scratches, as well as parts of center console and rear passenger climate controls. I can only assume this is from wiping down my car but I always use a microfiber towel and interior detailing products. I'm thinking maybe pieces of sand or dirt are being caught in the towel and then scratch the surface of other areas. I'm not really sure… does that sound right? Why are these plastics so easy to damage???

I'm super bummed out about this - anyone know if these can be fixed relatively easily and cheaply?

I've attached a few pics but the scratches are small and hard to photograph. But noticeable in certain light and can be felt to the touch.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 08:32 PM   #2
jontron
Private
United_States
Rep

I ended up using some Meguiars Plastx on the black console pieces. Had to work it in for awhile but it seems to have gotten the imperfections / scratches out really well. Still barely visible, maybe another few rounds will get it out completely.

Door trim pieces I haven't touched yet but maybe I'll try the same. I expected these to get scratched up a little but damn I feel like the materials they used for these parts seem really easy to scratch. I'm not a master detailer but I like to keep my cars as clean as I can.

Gonna have to be much more careful wiping down the interior moving forward I guess 😅
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 06:09 PM   #3
Lifeisgood20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Thanks for your feedback-very helpful. Have you found a product to remove scratches from door sill plates? I have the same issues on my end so would appreciate any input you may have.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 08:42 PM   #4
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i

I just noticed a scratch on the center console "glass" area. Have no idea wow it happened and tried to buff with a scratch and swirl remover. It worked just ok and definitely not perfect. Hoping more of these don't up!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 11:43 PM   #5
jontron
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisgood20 View Post
Thanks for your feedback-very helpful. Have you found a product to remove scratches from door sill plates? I have the same issues on my end so would appreciate any input you may have.
No I didn't use anything on those yet. The gloss black console trim was really bugging me so I fixed that up right away.

Some of the door pieces seemed like they have some metallic bits so I was more hesitant to use the same product on it.

Definitely still hoping I can fix them up myself though instead of having to replace the pieces.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 11:59 PM   #6
jontron
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcus2man View Post
I just noticed a scratch on the center console "glass" area. Have no idea wow it happened and tried to buff with a scratch and swirl remover. It worked just ok and definitely not perfect. Hoping more of these don't up!
That sucks man. You'd think they'd make these out of stronger plastic.

Maybe try the PlastX it seemed to work pretty well for me on the center controls.

I blotted in a dime size amount on a new microfiber towel, rubbed it in circle for awhile, wipe with another clean area of the towel, repeated that process going back and forth until the scratch was pretty much gone. Took awhile.

Gotta be super careful wiping down the interior not to transfer small rocks/sand onto your towel. I can only guess this is how mine got scratched up.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 06:21 PM   #7
brantley
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 x40i

Garage List
2024 X5 x40i  [0.00]
I know this is an old thread, buy any luck on the M door sills with Plastx, or something else? I have the same issue.
Appreciate 0