BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2022, 05:13 PM   #1
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Buffer "Bobs"

I got a couple different types of buffer bobs for the end of a drill (or in my case, the end of a chuck on the end of a flexible shaft on the end of a drill) so I can wax my door jambs and other interior side door paint paint.

The main problem with the ones I bought are, they start shedding white crap right off and the bits go everywhere.

Anybody know of or use a better brand of these?
Attached Images

11-01-2022, 05:49 PM   #2
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBradley1967 View Post
I got a couple different types of buffer bobs for the end of a drill (or in my case, the end of a chuck on the end of a flexible shaft on the end of a drill) so I can wax my door jambs and other interior side door paint paint.

The main problem with the ones I bought are, they start shedding white crap right off and the bits go everywhere.

Anybody know of or use a better brand of these?
This is the first time that I've heard anyone trying to use these on door jambs etc, I wouldn't even entertain going anywhere near my paint work with these. If you really want to use buffing pads then you'd be better off getting a proper polishing machine, but choosing the right pad to use is an art in itself. You'd be better just doing it by hand, it would be safer and quicker. Why use wax when there are so many other products on the market such as ceramic detailing sprays. I use Gyeon ceramic detailer or Gyeon cure or any of my other detailing sprays on my door jamb and interior door paint.

Last edited by malvern_man; 11-01-2022 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #3
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post
This is the first time that I've heard anyone trying to use these on door jambs etc, I wouldn't even entertain going anywhere near my paint work with these. If you really want to use buffing pads then you'd be better off getting a proper polishing machine, but choosing the right pad to use is an art in itself. You'd be better just doing it by hand, it would be safer and quicker. Why use wax when there are so many other products on the market such as ceramic detailing sprays. I use Gyeon ceramic detailer or Gyeon cure or any of my other detailing sprays on my door jamb and interior door paint.
I may eventually go with a ceramic coating like Crystal Serum. For now, I just had the X5 waxed by a detailing place I've been using for years, but I've always done the door jambs since dirt gets in there and even a light wax makes it easier to clean.

These "bobs" are plenty soft, so really the only issue is these ones are kinda cheap. Once finished with the driver's door and wiped with a microfiber, it was really well done.
      11-06-2022, 08:43 AM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Given the extremely small amount of paint in those areas, why are we using tools as opposed to doing this by hand?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 07:08 PM   #5
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Given the extremely small amount of paint in those areas, why are we using tools as opposed to doing this by hand?
Seems like the same amount of paint and clearcoat. Mostly a time saver and maybe an exertion saver, though I still have to get to the hard to reach areas by hand. The bobs are just as soft as buffer bonnets.

I ended up doing the other 3 doors, around the rear hatch and under the hood by hand in the end, but the tapered bob did save some time on those 742M rims, with all those spokes.