BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-21-2021, 03:34 PM   #221
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Ive had the 22 contis fitted since I got the car in sept 19. I have to say they are not noisy at all.I have the dampers fitted and the air suspension and the ride is very comfortable. No noticeable noise at any speed and Ive had it through a full range of speeds shall we say. There has to be something else causing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 04:33 PM   #222
pragueX5
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M 40d mildhybrid

10/2020 european car and its there
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 02:12 AM   #223
senoromar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro55 View Post
Ive had the 22 contis fitted since I got the car in sept 19. I have to say they are not noisy at all.I have the dampers fitted and the air suspension and the ride is very comfortable. No noticeable noise at any speed and Ive had it through a full range of speeds shall we say. There has to be something else causing it.
By any chance do you have Acoustic windows? If so that may be why you don’t hear it. I have a ‘21 so it wasn’t an option for me thanks to covid. Road surface definitely affects it too and the roads suck in my area.

Go smaller or deal with it seems like the only options.
2011 X5 50i Sport Activity
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 09:09 AM   #224
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

No, I don’t have the acoustic windows. Just never found my 22 very noisy. The 20 winter wheels/ tyres I have on at the moment, which will come off soon , are no quieter than the 22inch
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 04:05 AM   #225
Kristian_TT
Rep
Drives: X5, Panamera, GT3 Touring

Collected my 2021 45e yesterday with 22 conti ecocontact and dampeners in place. Same humming noise.

So, who will be the first to try Michelin?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 06:38 AM   #226
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro55 View Post
No, I don’t have the acoustic windows. Just never found my 22 very noisy. The 20 winter wheels/ tyres I have on at the moment, which will come off soon , are no quieter than the 22inch
when it comes to audio it is often personal. What doesn't bother someone, bothers others. I doubt the OP has defective tires. They are what they are.

Many find no difference in ride comfort between 20 and 22 inch wheels on the X5. But I do. I guess it's hard to explain.
Appreciate 1
volodp198.00
      04-03-2021, 05:52 AM   #227
W2BMP
Rep
Drives: X5

Glad this thread is still alive..

Sad that BMW still does not have an answer..

Have my dealer appointment today, we'll see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 11:11 AM   #228
palmerman
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X540i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENtoLAS View Post
If someone were to add 22s after market do they need to install new dampers? Or are/should they be part of the vehicle regardless of the wheels you get on the build?
SAME FOR ALL X5s regardless of RIM size.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 11:55 AM   #229
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I had the 22 Continental’s which I just replaced because I went with a new wheel/tire combo. The Continental’s were night and day more quiet then the Nitto’s that replaced them. If there was any noise that came from the Continental’s it would be on a ribbed concrete highway and even that wasn’t bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #230
stevew321
Rep
Drives: X5 (in future)

I’m experiencing this problem on a brand new x5 40d in the UK. Seems very affected by road surface. I have the dampers already fitted and tyres are Pirelli P Zero. Dealer has suggested driving it a bit more as it only has 500 miles on now. Not confident from reading this thread that it will make any difference although I am going to try reducing pressure from 36 psi down to 32 psi which would bring it in line with the non eco setting. What I find strange is it appears to becoming from the passenger side (left) which I’m wondering if it indicates a duff tyre? Anyone feel like it comes from one side ? Has anyone tried changing tyres and noticed any difference? Has anyone managed to solve this?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:07 AM   #231
bertenyi
Rep
Drives: G30 520d, G05 X5 45e

This is one of the most useful threads i have seen.
Adding my experience;
X5 45e here, delivered 12/2020. Accoustic glass all around.

Originally: no damper.
Started with Hankook winter tires 265/50R19. Huming noise around 60-70 mph. Changed tires to GY Ultragrip SCT (silent technology). Huming noise gone entirely, very silent overall (still no damper).

Come summer i switched to 20” rims. 275/45R20 all around GY AS3 SUV tires. Strong humming noise.
Switched back to 19” rims and Michelin PS4 SUV tires. Humming still there, but much more subdued.

Purchased and installed damper, switched back to the 20” summer setup with the GY AS3 tires. Humming much more subdued with the damper now. So i stuck with this setup.

I wonder, though, if a summer SCT (silent technology) tire would make all the humming go away entirely just like it did for the winter setup.
Anyone with experience on summer tires with sikent technology?

In practice the silent technology (inside foam) reduces noise/vibration in the low freq (~200 Hz) range. Overall tire noise is not much reduced, but maybe this is exactly the freq range that causes harmonics hence noise in the suspension region.

B.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 11:21 AM   #232
Brett Nosse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i Pure 2002 JCW Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by senoromar View Post
2021 40i, 22” pirelli’s, adaptive M suspension, dampeners present.

Loud humming noise was initially very apparent and annoying. Tires were over inflated from factory. Lowered to stock and only a slight improvement. Currently 1 psi below stock and the sound is still there and can be heard even with radio.

I guess it is what it is. Been driving it a few weeks now and I’m trying to get used to it. The sound is not fitting for a luxury suv at this price point. It is the only knock on an otherwise great car. Will try to let out a little more air and turn up the volume more.

Seems like there is not much else we can do short of going smaller in wheels.
Do you have the tyres with foam? As there are 2 different versions.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 06:31 AM   #233
Brett Nosse
Private First Class
Rep

Just emailed Continental Tyres this is the response I got....

The PC6’s on the X5 M50i are relatively quiet on smooth surfaces and will remain so provided they are well maintained (pressures, wheel alignment and rotations). However due to their size, geometry and very stiff construction, on coarse surfaces road noise is readily transmitted through the tyre case and into the cabin via the wheels, suspension, chassis and floor-pan. What this tyre size in combination with a stiff construction does offer, is the dynamic performance level that BMW require for their M division cars. Obviously the dynamic performance offered by the X5 M50i is remarkable. I think it most likely that BMW do not believe coarse road noise performance to be of great importance for the majority of X5 M50i customers and consequently steer tyre development strongly in the direction of handling. Long story short, I have no reason to believe the noise you’re experiencing is abnormal for this vehicle and tyre combination and is not being caused by some anomaly in the manufacture of the tyres themselves and am therefore unable to warrant these tyres.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 06:33 AM   #234
Brett Nosse
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew321 View Post
I’m experiencing this problem on a brand new x5 40d in the UK. Seems very affected by road surface. I have the dampers already fitted and tyres are Pirelli P Zero. Dealer has suggested driving it a bit more as it only has 500 miles on now. Not confident from reading this thread that it will make any difference although I am going to try reducing pressure from 36 psi down to 32 psi which would bring it in line with the non eco setting. What I find strange is it appears to becoming from the passenger side (left) which I’m wondering if it indicates a duff tyre? Anyone feel like it comes from one side ? Has anyone tried changing tyres and noticed any difference? Has anyone managed to solve this?

Did it make much difference?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 04:11 PM   #235
mumpers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 Xdrive 40i MSport

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
P Zero summer on my 40i has the harmonic sound for sure. Dampeners installed from factory and tire pressure changes minimal effect. I see that the all-season version has the foam technology to reduce noise...wonder if the performance difference would be worth it??
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:51 PM   #236
Wardman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I believe this is all going to be about degrees of what can you tolerate with road noise vs pure cosmetic. Its not like 20" is a small rim/tire combo. I am running it for a lot of reasons, mainly its a luxury SUV for me and has to perform as such in mixed weather and long road trip durability. I have no preconceived ideas a SUV will even be a track car.

Here is the 20"ers on my 50i M-Sport.

Awesome image! Are they 20" non RFT's? Brand if so?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 07:15 AM   #237
Brett Nosse
Private First Class
Rep

Talking to a guy about this. He's put foam around the inside rims of his E70 and the racecar
In Australia the Perilli PNCS nor Conti-silent is available.
I'm going to try as I have nothing to loose. Can't see why it won't work
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #238
pilotboy172
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i M-Sport

I have a 2019 xDrive40i M-Sport with 22's...Just replaced the stock summer Continental PC6s with the Pirelli All Seasons with the PNCS foam and am finding the new tires to be SIGNIFICANTLY louder with regards to the "drumming" noise on rough concrete and asphalt. I have the dampers installed from the factory.

I STILL noticed the "drumming" noise with my old Conti PC6s, but it was MUCH quieter and I felt it was an acceptable level. The new Pirellis "drumming" is unacceptably loud...but they shouldn't be because of the PNCS foam.

The reason I found this thread is because there was such a night and day difference in the "drumming" loudness with the new Pirellis from my old Contis that I needed to figure out what was going on!

It seems the dampeners are not "the magic fix." ...and now I'm thinking the tires are not largely to blame, either.

My noise seems to be coming from the front...not the back at all...and upon further inspection, I discovered a metal "wafer" rim around the back of the front rotors only (see pics of what my finger is pointing to). This is the "Splash Shield" Part Number 34-10-6-871-904 If you reach in and flick it with your finger towards you like you're saying "come here".....you get that very distinct hollow drum sound we are talking about.

As I mentioned, my rear wheels do not have this same style of splash shield wafer around the back of the rotors and I hear no noise from the back at all.

I am wondering if the tire change this morning tightened or loosened this wafer to "ding" at a different harmonic frequency? Could THIS be what is causing the noise we don't like?

To triage, I flicked the tire and heard it "ding." Then flicked the tire while holding the shield, and no "ding."

Thoughts?

I'm going to try to experiment with weighted clips on these to see if the sound is dampened at all.

Last edited by pilotboy172; 08-27-2021 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #239
pilotboy172
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotboy172 View Post
I have a 2019 xDrive40i M-Sport with 22's...Just replaced the stock summer Continental PC6s with the Pirelli All Seasons with the PNCS foam and am finding the new tires to be SIGNIFICANTLY louder with regards to the "drumming" noise on rough concrete and asphalt. I have the dampers installed from the factory.

I STILL noticed the "drumming" noise with my old Conti PC6s, but it was MUCH quieter and I felt it was an acceptable level. The new Pirellis "drumming" is unacceptably loud...but they shouldn't be because of the PNCS foam.

The reason I found this thread is because there was such a night and day difference in the "drumming" loudness with the new Pirellis from my old Contis that I needed to figure out what was going on!

It seems the dampeners are not "the magic fix." ...and now I'm thinking the tires are not largely to blame, either.

My noise seems to be coming from the front...not the back at all...and upon further inspection, I discovered a metal "wafer" rim around the back of the front rotors only (see pics of what my finger is pointing to). This is the "Splash Shield" Part Number 34-10-6-871-904 If you reach in and flick it with your finger towards you like you're saying "come here".....you get that very distinct hollow drum sound we are talking about.

As I mentioned, my rear wheels do not have this same style of splash shield wafer around the back of the rotors and I hear no noise from the back at all.

I am wondering if the tire change this morning tightened or loosened this wafer to "ding" at a different harmonic frequency? Could THIS be what is causing the noise we don't like?

To triage, I flicked the tire and heard it "ding." Then flicked the tire while holding the shield, and no "ding."

Thoughts?

I'm going to try to experiment with weighted clips on these to see if the sound is dampened at all.

So...update on my Splash Shield theory...

Not successful.

I placed two clamps on the shields and confirmed that, with the clamps on, flicking the shields did not produce the hollow sound. However, after driving around with the clamps on, I still heard the hollow drumming in the cabin. I believe someone before described it like the echo sound of one of those rubber inflated dodgeballs hitting the floor. ...and it seems to only happen on concrete roads, including those freeways with the micro grooves parallel to the flow of traffic, and rough asphalt roads...basically anywhere there is a bump of any kind or size. It starts around 30mph (50kph) and continues at a similar level above that speed.

I was doing some more research and it appears Audi A8s have a similar issue found in their thread here.

According to the Audi thread (which discusses 20" wheels), this may be a strut issue? Some in that thread had their struts worked on and it seemed to help the issue. Which would go along the theory that tires may not be the sole culprit...especially since I heard this with both my old AND new tires.

I have a service appointment scheduled for next Tuesday at my BMW dealer...but I'm afraid they are going to blame the tires/22" wheels.

Last edited by pilotboy172; 08-27-2021 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #240
Buck14
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

9K miles on my 22" continentals and they are absolutely fabulous! Are you sure it is the tires?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 08:05 PM   #241
NYBM
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Have a 2021 X5 m sport without air suspension and 22 inch wheels. I have the same issue as OP. It’s so bad my door panels started squeaking and rattling. Made an appointment with bmw it is extremely annoying. Only have 6500 miles. Maybe it’s the tires or suspension not sure but hopefully bmw can fix this. It’s annoying having to turn up the radio because my interior is rattling and squeaking constantly.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #242
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

I have a 2021 x5 Msport without air and with the 22s and Continental Tires with 3k miles and I barely notice any road noise. I would say the ride quality is 8/10 for me.
Appreciate 0