BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
faztaz
08 X3 6spd
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i MSport

Finalizing order for X5 M50i (M adaptive suspension vs airsuspension)

I have decided on the following options but my only issue is leave the M sport or get the airsuspension. Any comments on rear world experience between the two. How much of a sporty feel do we loose with the airsuspension route? How much of a luxury ride feel do we loose with the adaptive M suspension? Anything you guys would delete or add? Any way to conceal the ugly hitch on the M sport? I think the night vision isn't worth it. We have a lot of deer in our area but from what I hear it is not as good as it sounds.

C3Z Tanzanite Blue
ZBHF Coffee Full Merino Leather
Anthracite Brown Popular Matte Wood
ZDH Dynamic Handling
ZDY Driving Assistance
ZLS Luxury Seating (Massage/heat/vent)
ZPX Executive Package
2VR 2-axle air suspension
300 Space Saver Spare
3AC Hitch
4A2 Glass Controls
4HB Heated Front Arm Rests / Steering
6F1 Bowers and Wilkins
3KA Acoustic Glass
4M5 Leather Dash (Included with ZBHF)
1SM 22" Cerum Gray
4HA Heated Rear Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Kripster
Techie
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by faztaz View Post
I think the night vision isn't worth it. We have a lot of deer in our area but from what I hear it is not as good as it sounds.
I've found it reliable alerting for deer at night. It doesn't alert audibly however until you're real close. I wish it did some sort of sound as soon as it detected something since I don't see the visual alert quickly enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Cavman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35i M-Sport

Quote:
I have decided on the following options but my only issue is leave the M sport or get the airsuspension. Any comments on rear world experience between the two. How much of a sporty feel do we loose with the airsuspension route? How much of a luxury ride feel do we loose with the adaptive M suspension? Anything you guys would delete or add? Any way to conceal the ugly hitch on the M sport? I think the night vision isn't worth it. We have a lot of deer in our area but from what I hear it is not as good as it sounds.

C3Z Tanzanite Blue
ZDH Dynamic Handling
ZDY Driving Assistance
ZPX Executive Package
300 Space Saver Spare
3AC Hitch
4A2 Glass Controls
6F1 Bowers and Wilkins
3KA Acoustic Glass
1SM 22" Cerum Gray
4HA Heated Rear Seats

Don’t believe you can order the Air Suspension WITH the Dynamic Handling Package on the X5. Think you can on the x7.

The dynamic handling package should give you the best of both worlds. Superior comfort as well as superior handling and flat cornering.

Your choices sound great. Will be an awesome car. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:

C3Z Tanzanite Blue
ZDH Dynamic Handling
ZDY Driving Assistance
ZPX Executive Package
300 Space Saver Spare
3AC Hitch
4A2 Glass Controls
6F1 Bowers and Wilkins
3KA Acoustic Glass
1SM 22" Cerum Gray
4HA Heated Rear Seats
Commenting on your suspension options.

You've selected ZDH Dynamic Handling Package which should exclude the option to add 2VR 2-axle Air Suspension (despite build notes not indicating otherwise) - based on current 50i M Sport with ZDH option rules.

What I mean is that 2VF and ZDH use conventional spring struts versus 2VR comfort air struts. In short, BMW hasn't offered ZDH with air struts on a G05.

I would confirm with your dealer.

2020 M50i suspension options:

1. 2VF - Adaptive M Suspension: this is standard
2. 2VR - 2-axle Air Suspension: selecting this will delete 2VF
3. ZDH - Adaptive M Suspension Profession, includes IAS (integral active steering aka 4 wheel steering), active roll stabilization: selecting this will delete 2VF or 2VR.

The primary reason for optioning ZDH is that you want the best cornering and handling X5 available. The X5 is a SUV and will lean hard when you push it through a corner or curve. Active roll stabilization in ZDH counters that and delivers a flat cornering response. It works really really well.

The primary reason for optioning 2VR 2-axle Air Suspension is that you want the most comfortable riding X5 available. The 2VR ride height adjustment allows you lower it to the lowest setting for ease of entry/exit and cargo loading. You can tune the air suspension a bit more sportier with DEC which will firm the up the air strut dampening. Owners are mixed with 2VR - some like it and some feel it's a bit floaty.

Here'a a sense of what the suspension options will provide you:

Ride comfort with heigh adjustment > Sport Handling > Sportiest Handling and active body roll control

2VR Air > 2VF Adaptive M > ZDH

Also all 3 suspension options have BMW driving experience control which gives you to ability to adjust the electronic dampers - COMFORT, SPORT, ADAPTIVE. You're not giving up comfort with 2VF or ZDH.

Appreciate 2
Tenac4538.50
Ilyam5893.00
      07-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

@Auricom , thank you. This is has been most helpful.

I’m in a similar position as the OP but between 2 axle air vs DHP / M adaptive professional. I have not optioned for DHP because I did not know if it would be any more comfortable than the standard adaptive setup.

Adding air suspension seems to remove the M rear diff.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfs6 View Post
@Auricom , thank you. This is has been most helpful.

I'm in a similar position as the OP but between 2 axle air vs DHP / M adaptive professional. I have not optioned for DHP because I did not know if it would be any more comfortable than the standard adaptive setup.

Adding air suspension seems to remove the M rear diff.
From my personal experience and time with G05 ZDH, you're not loosing any comfort with ZDH. It as just comfortable as the standard adaptive M suspension with an increase in driving dynamics and traction with M rear differential.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Commenting on your suspension options.

You've selected ZDH Dynamic Handling Package which should exclude the option to add 2VR 2-axle Air Suspension (despite build notes not indicating otherwise) - based on current 50i M Sport with ZDH option rules.

What I mean is that 2VF and ZDH use conventional spring struts versus 2VR comfort air struts. In short, BMW hasn't offered ZDH with air struts on a G05.

I would confirm with your dealer.

2020 M50i suspension options:

1. 2VF - Adaptive M Suspension: this is standard
2. 2VR - 2-axle Air Suspension: selecting this will delete 2VF
3. ZDH - Adaptive M Suspension Profession, includes IAS (integral active steering aka 4 wheel steering), active roll stabilization: selecting this will delete 2VF or 2VR.

The primary reason for optioning ZDH is that you want the best cornering and handling X5 available. The X5 is a SUV and will lean hard when you push it through a corner or curve. Active roll stabilization in ZDH counters that and delivers a flat cornering response. It works really really well.

The primary reason for optioning 2VR 2-axle Air Suspension is that you want the most comfortable riding X5 available. The 2VR ride height adjustment allows you lower it to the lowest setting for ease of entry/exit and cargo loading. You can tune the air suspension a bit more sportier with DEC which will firm the up the air strut dampening. Owners are mixed with 2VR - some like it and some feel it's a bit floaty.

Here'a a sense of what the suspension options will provide you:

Ride comfort with heigh adjustment > Sport Handling > Sportiest Handling and active body roll control

2VR Air > 2VF Adaptive M > ZDH

Also all 3 suspension options have BMW driving experience control which gives you to ability to adjust the electronic dampers - COMFORT, SPORT, ADAPTIVE. You're not giving up comfort with 2VF or ZDH.
We were able to option both 2VR (2-axle air) and 2VH (Integral Active Steering) in our 2020 builds for a 40i. Confirmed that 2VR deletes 2VF.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #8
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I always though of DHP as a step above the other suspensions... So if your budget allows you definitely get it. If it's not in the budget then it's a personal preference between air and m adaptive. Air offering the more plush ride and M offering the sportier ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 12:46 AM   #9
TYJ
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi Q5

Is DHP available for the 2020 X5 40i?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 05:35 AM   #10
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYJ View Post
Is DHP available for the 2020 X5 40i?
Negative

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 01:40 AM   #11
dangerh33
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Exclamation DHP

I got a 2021 X5 M50i and since neither the BMW USA website (used for the build), nor the dealership, told me DHP was available, I did not get it. All I can say is BY ALL MEANS, get it. I feel like I'm driving a Cadillac Escalade with an M motor. I have about 1500 miles on it now and my dream vehicle feels loose at high speeds, has more body roll, and a LOT less tightness than my 2016 X5 with DHP did. Is it fast AF? Sure. Does it look great? Absolutely. DHP changes the game and I regret not getting it everyday.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 05:12 AM   #12
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerh33 View Post
I got a 2021 X5 M50i and since neither the BMW USA website (used for the build), nor the dealership, told me DHP was available, I did not get it. All I can say is BY ALL MEANS, get it. I feel like I'm driving a Cadillac Escalade with an M motor. I have about 1500 miles on it now and my dream vehicle feels loose at high speeds, has more body roll, and a LOT less tightness than my 2016 X5 with DHP did. Is it fast AF? Sure. Does it look great? Absolutely. DHP changes the game and I regret not getting it everyday.
Even when I got mine (CPO). The dealer said I had M Adaptive but didn't mention DHP. So I went around saying DHP was not necessary for good handling. Later, I checked my build and found it had DHP! Yeah, it makes a big difference IMHO as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #13
grigia
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 m550

I have almost the exact same build except I have the 21 " M wheel 741. I live in a pothole mine zone and would be worried about the 22's. Wish I had the acoustic glass I did not see it as an option. Stealth Hitch is aftermarket and Im thinking about getting it. I really like this SUV its perfect.
Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #14
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I got the 2-axle air suspension. I agree that it's floaty on the normal/adaptive setting (subjective). I put the suspension in sports mode and it's perfect: not too stiff and it glides over road imperfections without any judder.

To me, air suspension is the only way to go. It offers great variability, can raise and lower on demand and, unlike metal springs, glides down the road and can hide road imperfections (even with 22" wheels) with absolute aplomb.

Our cars weren't meant for cornering like a sports car; it's a tall, boxy SUV that weighs more than two tons. If that is what you want, then maybe you should be buying something else. Air suspension offers the best compromise and suits this car perfectly in my opinion.
Appreciate 0