LuisPT
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisPT View Post
Hi everyone! This is my first post at Bimmers.
This thread has helped me solve the same exact issue I had with my brand new X5 30d (june 2019). The whistle noise heard in your videos on youtube sound exactly the same!
Though it sounds like coming from the sunroof...it does not!!! As JacekPL mentioned, it comes from the windshield! But no need to replace it. The "issue" is the rubber/plastic in the transition from the bonet in the bottom part of the windshield that is not correctly adjusted to the windshield... On the side where I noticed the whistle coming from, the rubber was not properly mounted/fitted... looking as if in the production line the assembly was not properly done. So i just pressed a bit against the windshield from inside the bonet and it adjusted perfectly! No more noise at highspeed!
Unfortunately, I only have a photo of it fixed... hope it helps other people with the same problem.
Best regards!!
Can you circle the area in your picture or point to the area that you pressed on to fix the issue?
Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone! This is my first post at Bimmers.
This thread has helped me solve the same exact issue I had with my brand new X5 30d (june 2019). The whistle noise heard in your videos on youtube sound exactly the same!
Though it sounds like coming from the sunroof...it does not!!! As JacekPL mentioned, it comes from the windshield! But no need to replace it. The "issue" is the rubber/plastic in the transition from the bonet in the bottom part of the windshield that is not correctly adjusted to the windshield... On the side where I noticed the whistle coming from, the rubber was not properly mounted/fitted... looking as if in the production line the assembly was not properly done. So i just pressed a bit against the windshield from inside the bonet and it adjusted perfectly! No more noise at highspeed!
Unfortunately, I only have a photo of it fixed... hope it helps other people with the same problem.
Best regards!!
Can you circle the area in your picture or point to the area that you pressed on to fix the issue?
Here is a photo highlighting the rubber/plastic joint that must be adjusted to the windshield. Before there was a slight gap that allowed wind to pass through and generate bad aerodynamics.
You can press/push it from outside... but if you open the bonet it is easier. I will try to take a picture later from inside.
Best,
L
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ggalanis2436.00
      07-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #24
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Here is a photo highlighting the rubber/plastic joint that must be adjusted to the windshield. Before there was a slight gap that allowed wind to pass through and generate bad aerodynamics.
You can press/push it from outside... but if you open the bonet it is easier. I will try to take a picture later from inside.
Best,
L
Thanks LuisPT!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:28 AM   #25
lufan
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

Cool

I am the owner of BMW X5 in China. I found this problem at 170KM/H and feedback it to distributors. Now the after-sales department has given the solution, hoping to help you.
This means that the rubber strips on the top of the front windshield are too narrow to be tightly sealed. Now special tools are needed to support them according to the coordinates in the drawing, and then special adhesives are applied to bond the rubber strips and the roof.
My English is not very good, machine translation
Attached Images

Last edited by lufan; 07-28-2019 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #26
msunny
Rep
Drives: 328i 2013 and X5 2019

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
2013 bmw 328i  [0.00]
i got this noise yesterday driving close to 120 (miles). Issue was repeatable. first time i heard it, was kind of scary- i.e. did something break down. The fix was to just slow down. Reading this thread it seems like BMW has identified the source of the problem to be the windshield. Just wanted to post to say +1 on this issue being real
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #27
LuisPT
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Best,
L
Thanks LuisPT!
Quote:
Quote:
Best,
L
Thanks LuisPT!
Sadly, the noise came back after a few weeks! Dont know why...maybe because of pressure washing the car... It seems it was not the cowl and is probably a windshield sealing issue (as many of you have pointed out). Besides the high speed buzz, i hear a slight whistle at around 100-120 km/h.
I will raise the issue to the dealer!
Best
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #28
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

German dealership when I was visiting knew how to fix the issue by removing the windshield and putting it back with new glue seal. It is supposedly the only way to cure the issue.
Appreciate 2
LuisPT12.00
msunny12.00
      08-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #29
msunny
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
2013 bmw 328i  [0.00]
My dealer refused to address this issue saying they cannot replicate it since they cannot drive the vehicle at 120 mph
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #30
Jpxx02
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

My dealer said they needed to keep the car for 2-3 days to do more “tests” and have to get bmw engineering involved. I took my car and will reschedule
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 08:19 AM   #31
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msunny View Post
My dealer refused to address this issue saying they cannot replicate it since they cannot drive the vehicle at 120 mph
Not sure where you are located but my dealer in the UK arranged for my car to be addressed at a dealership in Germany who had diagnosed it while I was driving in Germany but didn't have enough time to rectify. BMW UK also helped compensate for the transportation costs to Germany to get it rectified.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:34 PM   #32
msunny
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
2013 bmw 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mge92 View Post
Not sure where you are located but my dealer in the UK arranged for my car to be addressed at a dealership in Germany who had diagnosed it while I was driving in Germany but didn't have enough time to rectify. BMW UK also helped compensate for the transportation costs to Germany to get it rectified.
Thats a big WOW. Im in California. No such luck. The dealership is not in the mood to help
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #33
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep

I would either try a different dealership or just complain to BMW USA and claim that the whistle is fixed by removing the windshield and putting a new seal of glue down. Worst case eat the cost of the windshield removal which could be down by any good windshield installer.
Appreciate 1
msunny12.00
      08-24-2019, 06:42 AM   #34
LuisPT
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
I would either try a different dealership or just complain to BMW USA and claim that the whistle is fixed by removing the windshield and putting a new seal of glue down. Worst case eat the cost of the windshield removal which could be down by any good windshield installer.
Already talked to the dealer (and shared your videos) and they are taking mine in the week of 9th september to work on the "whistle"! Will let you know of any developments...
Best
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #35
LuisPT
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Already talked to the dealer (and shared your videos) and they are taking mine in the week of 9th september to work on the "whistle"! Will let you know of any developments...
Best
Hi all,

Update!
A day after checking in my car, dealer informed me that a repair note had been issued by bmw (available in their international network) regarding the whistling/noise at high speed. Confirmed that the problem is the upper seal rubber that is not properly applied and the solution prescribed is to remove and reinstall the windshield.
I am looking forward to getting my car back later this week and testing it sooner than later. Will let you know!
FYI: When I reported the issue, I sent the my own videos of the whistling and links to videos on youtube to the dealer.
Appreciate 2
buze132.00
      09-13-2019, 01:46 AM   #36
westq1980
Rep
Drives: X5 40I G05

My dealer replaced the windshield. The replacement was connected with the fact that it was necessary to reinstall the KAFAS camera, since the camera mount was on the glass. The whistle in speed was gone
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #37
LuisPT
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Best
Hi all,

Update!
A day after checking in my car, dealer informed me that a repair note had been issued by bmw (available in their international network) regarding the whistling/noise at high speed. Confirmed that the problem is the upper seal rubber that is not properly applied and the solution prescribed is to remove and reinstall the windshield.
I am looking forward to getting my car back later this week and testing it sooner than later. Will let you know!
FYI: When I reported the issue, I sent the my own videos of the whistling and links to videos on youtube to the dealer.
Update!
Windshield eas replaced by brand new one (another issue was detected related to the Kafas camera defroster).
Tested at high speed and whistlig is gone!
Best,
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 10:30 PM   #38
330MX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you’re having this issue with the whistle try this. Open the hood and remove the rubber piece that is on the passenger side just in front of the smaller battery cover. Then go do a drive where the whistle would normally appear.
Appreciate 0