BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-05-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
BH1969
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Test drove X5 and Q8 over the weekend

Looking at both the X5 and Audi Q8 and drove both over the weekend back to back. I thought that when I sat in both there would be a clear "I gotta have this one" moment and there wasn't.

Q8 Prestige, not luxury package - Drove very nicely on 21's. X5 seemed to pop off the line and a bit more sportiness, but I could easily live with the Q8 performance. Wasn't sure what I would think about the touchscreens, but they were fine. Definitely could get used to them but need to wipe the screens down often. I liked the visual cockpit, but honestly found on both cars I focused on the HUD instead. Seats were a bit more comfortable than the X5. Very nice interior, but a couple of oddities. I didn't like that the cupholders didn't have a cover. Also the dash was nice leather, but the tops of the doors were plastic. Looked nice, but would have thought for Audi's top SUV, it would be leather. MSRP for this one was around $79,000.

XLine 4.0 - standard leather - First time actually being in the car rather than seeing pictures. BMW did a very job here. Had cognac interior that both my wife and I thought was too orangish. Standard suspension drove very nicely. Would definitely be fine for most daily drivers. Loved the acceleration. Didn't notice any lag, while the Q8 had a very minor lag. The dealer in Charlotte only had 5 so the selection was pretty slim to play around in. The car I have priced out will be between $76,000-$80,000 depending on whether I choose Xline or Msport and a few options. The car I drove was around $65,000, so didn't have all the bells and whistles.

So, pricing is about the same before discounts. We will see what discounts come out of both over some time. The BMW does have some items that the Audi doesn't. They are not big items, but all factor into a decision. Audi requires the luxury seating package to get the massage function, which is an extra $6K. BMW's is much cheaper. BMW has more parking assist functions. Didn't see quite as much on the Audi, but will have to research further, although the 360 degree camera on the Audi is very cool. Small things like the heated/cooled cupholders and remote start are nice features on the BMW. The Audi does have rear seats that are adjustable, which is a plus for the Q8. Three year maintenance and performance center delivery are plusses for the BMW.

Overall, I am still looking and will drive both again and see what discounts are being thrown around as I make a decision before the end of year. The BMW seems to be a better buy with more stuff than the Audi, but the Audi is really nice.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

Thanks! I compared both as well though didn't bother test driving the Q8 as I ruled it just from looking at it. Things I didn't like about the Q8: Looks more like a beefy station wagon than SUV in person. Back is slopped so anything over 2ft tall don't fit in the back like our dog kennel without the back seats being folded. That was a deal breaker. Plus to get some of the same features you had to get the top of the line one which came to be about the same price as the X5 M50 with DHP but the Q8 only had a 6 cyl which is slower than the X5 40. I did definitely like the interior of the Q8, and their dig dash I think is better.
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
BH1969
Rep

I didn't think the rear sloped very much, especially compared to the X6 and GLE coupe. I do not care for either of those cars at all. For me, the Q8 had plenty of backseat head and leg room. Grown kids so won't be using the back often. I think of the Q8 as a bit sportier X5, without the ugly rear of the X6. Some of the added features of the X5 do have some appeal though. Will be nice to see more real world reviews of both cars now that they are out to see what works as advertised vs what doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
BH1969
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421BMW View Post
Thanks! I compared both as well though didn't bother test driving the Q8 as I ruled it just from looking at it. Things I didn't like about the Q8: Looks more like a beefy station wagon than SUV in person. Back is slopped so anything over 2ft tall don't fit in the back like our dog kennel without the back seats being folded. That was a deal breaker. Plus to get some of the same features you had to get the top of the line one which came to be about the same price as the X5 M50 with DHP but the Q8 only had a 6 cyl which is slower than the X5 40. I did definitely like the interior of the Q8, and their dig dash I think is better.
Definitely things like a dog kennel would be tough in the Q8. I did think back on the Chrysler Pacifica when looking at it, but the Q8 is much classier than that. If you price in the luxury package and adaptive package, definitely hard to get an MSRP less than $90K, which is too much for a V6. If I could get both of those after discounts for the around $75K I think I can get my X5 build for, then the decision becomes more difficult for me. If people are willing to spend the $90K, then like the Cayenne, just not worth it for me, even if I liked it more. The BMW is in the sweet spot for luxury, speed, and features.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

I test drove both and here is where I landed.

Interior - The middle console on the Q8 is raised up much higher then any other Audi. When you climb in its very pronounced. The issue with this is no storage anywhere except 2 small cup holders and a very small spot under the armrest. For functionality day to day this was an issue for me.

The virtual cockpit and new screens on the Audi were great. As a system they function better then the X5. The HUD is much better on the X5. The only advantage on the HUD for the Audi was camera capture of street signs for current speed.

Back seat was hands down Q8. Much more space then the X5. The seats move forward and back and recline. Not sure what BWW was thinking about not allowing a 5 seat model to have a different rear seat position. So much space behind the seat.

Trunk space hands down X5. Much more usable space and you can lower the rear seats from the truck without going around the the seats.

Overall interior for me is going to X5 for the main reason of day to day use is so limited in the front seats of the Q8. Fit and finish looked about the same for both brands with a slight nod to the Q8 for the small things.

Performance - The X5 is faster of the line and feels sportier then the Q8. I have a SQ5 now and the X5 feels closer to that then the Q8. I do like how the Q8 raises and lowers the air suspension when selecting a drive mode. My understanding is you have to do that manually on the X5.

The 50i was of course a clear winner in this department but i am focusing on the 40i.

Features and tech experience - Going with X5
This was a tough choice for me with a nod to the Q8 for the experience of the virtual cockpit and ease of use. BMW has a good start with the new dual 12 inch screens but the Q8 is much more refined. That being said I do like the tech in the X5 and prefer the HUD in the X5 over the Q8.

The bmw genius could not get the complete system to work and it was brand new to everyone. So as time goes on and further updates are made the two systems might get closer.

BWM is offering remote start which is a big bonus for me being in the cold northeast. I have had this feature on other cars and it is important to me.

Laser vs Matrix - I could not test both as my test drives were during the day.

Price - x5 by about 8 k feature for feature before discount.

My final decision is to go with the x5.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
BH1969
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post

That is where I am leaning as well. Just seems I would be compromising on performance and some cool features like parking assist, heated/cooled cupholders, remote start, massaging seats by getting the Q8 and paying more the privilege of doing so. If pricing were the same, I may be willing to pick one over the other on emotion. I plan on going to see them both again in the next few weeks, so will see where I end up. Will also see what Q8 pricing response is to see if Audi priced it right or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

One major downer with Audi is that you typically have to pay for the Prestige trim to get a HUD.
      11-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #8
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1969 View Post
Looking at both the X5 and Audi Q8 and drove both over the weekend back to back. I thought that when I sat in both there would be a clear "I gotta have this one" moment and there wasn't.

Q8 Prestige, not luxury package - Drove very nicely on 21's. X5 seemed to pop off the line and a bit more sportiness, but I could easily live with the Q8 performance. Wasn't sure what I would think about the touchscreens, but they were fine. Definitely could get used to them but need to wipe the screens down often. I liked the visual cockpit, but honestly found on both cars I focused on the HUD instead. Seats were a bit more comfortable than the X5. Very nice interior, but a couple of oddities. I didn't like that the cupholders didn't have a cover. Also the dash was nice leather, but the tops of the doors were plastic. Looked nice, but would have thought for Audi's top SUV, it would be leather. MSRP for this one was around $79,000.

XLine 4.0 - standard leather - First time actually being in the car rather than seeing pictures. BMW did a very job here. Had cognac interior that both my wife and I thought was too orangish. Standard suspension drove very nicely. Would definitely be fine for most daily drivers. Loved the acceleration. Didn't notice any lag, while the Q8 had a very minor lag. The dealer in Charlotte only had 5 so the selection was pretty slim to play around in. The car I have priced out will be between $76,000-$80,000 depending on whether I choose Xline or Msport and a few options. The car I drove was around $65,000, so didn't have all the bells and whistles.

So, pricing is about the same before discounts. We will see what discounts come out of both over some time. The BMW does have some items that the Audi doesn't. They are not big items, but all factor into a decision. Audi requires the luxury seating package to get the massage function, which is an extra $6K. BMW's is much cheaper. BMW has more parking assist functions. Didn't see quite as much on the Audi, but will have to research further, although the 360 degree camera on the Audi is very cool. Small things like the heated/cooled cupholders and remote start are nice features on the BMW. The Audi does have rear seats that are adjustable, which is a plus for the Q8. Three year maintenance and performance center delivery are plusses for the BMW.

Overall, I am still looking and will drive both again and see what discounts are being thrown around as I make a decision before the end of year. The BMW seems to be a better buy with more stuff than the Audi, but the Audi is really nice.
Great write up. i had a question regarding the seats. How would you rate the front seats betweed the audi,19x5 and the older x5?
I ask because i picked up a chev colorado yesterday and driving it home the seats were really hard making me think of ideas to soften them up. We have a 2017 q7 and an x5 on order. the audi seats are fine so would you say i will be happy with the new x5 seats?
Thanks
Rod
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #9
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Sounds like 85 or 90k for an optioned q8 which puts it in cayenne territory. Problem is if you enjoy driving the 40i is the sweetest 6cyl engine right now and also the most economical package of the three. If u option either like x5 Yiu get a free v8 upgrade on the x5.

Well done bmw!
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #10
adammk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW X3, GMC Yukon Dena

Test Drove the Q8 and X5

I am trading in my 2016 X5 for a 2019 X5. I decided to test the Audi Q8 and, while striking on the outside, was disappointed with the interior. The dial stacked screens work (one for home menu, nav, entertainment and the other for climate) but have not visual appeal. Too many screens. The BMW tablet screen above the traditional controls for climate and infotainment look much better.

The Q8 V-6 drove responsively but just did not have the sporty feel of the X5 in-line turbo 6. Also the AC on the Q8 seemed loud compared to the BMW - both days were warm and, if anything, it was cooler /coudy on the day I drove the Audi. Some of the reviews of the BMW X5 cabin are not favorable but I honestly thought the interior was much more appealing than the Q8.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
Great write up. i had a question regarding the seats. How would you rate the front seats betweed the audi,19x5 and the older x5?
I ask because i picked up a chev colorado yesterday and driving it home the seats were really hard making me think of ideas to soften them up. We have a 2017 q7 and an x5 on order. the audi seats are fine so would you say i will be happy with the new x5 seats?
Thanks
Rod
I think you will love the seats. Definitely not hard and great adjustments. I got the luxury seating with vernasca leather. The luxury seating gives the ventilation and massage otherwise I think the upgraded leather seats are probably the same.

Today I was playing around with the passenger seat. I set the first setting comfortable for me, and the second setting laid back for napping. We will be taking a long road trip in a few weeks so I’m trying to think of everything I can do to take advantage of this wonderful car.

I have xLine 40i. I didn’t get the top-tier driving assistance package, but I highly recommend the parking assist package, which gives you incredible surround view when parking. And all the cameras you need for the connected drive remote view. I park next to steps on my house, and I can see exactly where they are as I park.

The lane assist is standard. I didn’t think I’d like it but I do. The vibration and pull on the steering wheel can be adjusted. With a car that goes fast so easily, I think that feature will keep me out of a few ditches on the narrow country roads where I live.

Love everything about the car, and I have had no iDrive issues - but I don’t use CarPlay, which seems to cause a lot of heartburn on this forum!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #12
NOVA99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M-B GLS 580

Quote:
Quote:
Yep pretty straight forward: $100K audi with a 300hp 6 banger. No way.
50i with 523hp v8. Same price.
Oh- and Audi is a VW.
No Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5893.00
      07-09-2019, 10:51 PM   #13
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA99 View Post
Yep pretty straight forward: $100K audi with a 300hp 6 banger. No way.
50i with 523hp v8. Same price.
Oh- and Audi is a VW.
No Thanks!
Right on. For the same money Audi does not feel like a 90k car. It certainly does not drive like one. It is downright lethargic compared to BMW. I had them the side by side in the garage. My 90k x5 50 with tartufo interior and q8 with lux package. At 90k plus

X5 wins on features. Asissted drive alone is enough. Tartufo interior looks and feels better vs Audi. V8 exhaust sounds better. And did i mention x50 50 will run. Circles around q8 for the same money. So sorry Audi. Come again with rs q8 maybe we,ll talk
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #14
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I sat in a Q8 and was shocked at the amount of hard plastic. The lower door card was hard plastic, and I think the lower dash was hard plastic too, if I recall. The car felt extremely cheap to me. It probably has more details in the switchgear and instruments than the X5, but the materials quality is more on par with a VW or Toyota. After seeing all the hard plastic, I had no desire to even drive one.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #15
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
I test drove both and here is where I landed.

Interior - The middle console on the Q8 is raised up much higher then any other Audi. When you climb in its very pronounced. The issue with this is no storage anywhere except 2 small cup holders and a very small spot under the armrest. For functionality day to day this was an issue for me.

The virtual cockpit and new screens on the Audi were great. As a system they function better then the X5. The HUD is much better on the X5. The only advantage on the HUD for the Audi was camera capture of street signs for current speed.

Back seat was hands down Q8. Much more space then the X5. The seats move forward and back and recline. Not sure what BWW was thinking about not allowing a 5 seat model to have a different rear seat position. So much space behind the seat.

Trunk space hands down X5. Much more usable space and you can lower the rear seats from the truck without going around the the seats.

Overall interior for me is going to X5 for the main reason of day to day use is so limited in the front seats of the Q8. Fit and finish looked about the same for both brands with a slight nod to the Q8 for the small things.

Performance - The X5 is faster of the line and feels sportier then the Q8. I have a SQ5 now and the X5 feels closer to that then the Q8. I do like how the Q8 raises and lowers the air suspension when selecting a drive mode. My understanding is you have to do that manually on the X5.

The 50i was of course a clear winner in this department but i am focusing on the 40i.

Features and tech experience - Going with X5
This was a tough choice for me with a nod to the Q8 for the experience of the virtual cockpit and ease of use. BMW has a good start with the new dual 12 inch screens but the Q8 is much more refined. That being said I do like the tech in the X5 and prefer the HUD in the X5 over the Q8.

The bmw genius could not get the complete system to work and it was brand new to everyone. So as time goes on and further updates are made the two systems might get closer.

BWM is offering remote start which is a big bonus for me being in the cold northeast. I have had this feature on other cars and it is important to me.

Laser vs Matrix - I could not test both as my test drives were during the day.

This. Coming out of a Q7 (back) to an X5 - previous X5d. Did test drive the Q8 extensively - very nice. Handles like an Audi - that's to say somewhere between a Lexus and a BMW. Very nice interior, but as others pointed out, lots of plastic everywhere. Very limited storage space. And the touch screen interface isn't my cup of tea - my 2018 Q7 had a better driver interface IMO, although not as sexy. And there are little things about Audi that you don't discover until later - limited Parking Assist, as mentioned. For the US market, no automatic Hill-Hold button. No cup holder cover. Preset buttons can only be programmed for radio stations. Expensive subscription for its connected app. One year/10k mile maintenance included, not 3/36. I could go on, but the bottom line is that the Q8 is also about $8-10k more than the BMW, similarly equipped. Goodbye Audi, hello BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #16
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

Q8 Loses

Biggest problems with the Q8, aside from the styling but that's personal, is the performance and the distracting touchscreens.

1. It's slow, especially compared to the X5. Both the 0-60 and quarter mile times lag significantly against the X5, and there's noticeable lag in initial throttle response.

2. The touchscreens. When stationary, they're totally fine. Once you start moving, it's very distracting to have to look down and touch the screens. A potential solution is the voice control, but it isn't nearly as quick as just using a scroll wheel and clicking because you have to activate the voice feature, wait for a response, then initiate the command, and then wait for it to register. Fingerprint marks are and added concern as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

What's with the Audi bashing? Oh yeah, this is a BMW forum

Over the past four years I've test driven numerous cars as I planned on replacing my X3 around this time. I'm partial to German cars so of course that meant test driving Audi's. As much as I wanted to own one, they just always fell short in comparison to BMW's, either in performance, mileage, features/options or aesthetics. Neither my wife nor I could get past the huge open mouth grill...that said, BMW's are now approaching the same large mouth bass front ends.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      07-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #18
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
What's with the Audi bashing? Oh yeah, this is a BMW forum ...that said, BMW's are now approaching the same large mouth bass front ends.
I searched for BMW Lifestyle for the X5 and was told there is none. Pretty sure BMW Lifestyle mostly means bitching at BMW on forums anyway :-).
Attached Images

07-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #19
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
I searched for BMW Lifestyle for the X5 and was told there is none. Pretty sure BMW Lifestyle mostly means bitching at BMW on forums anyway :-).
BMW Lifestyle is their continuation of BMW branded sales to compliment their cars. Jackets, mugs, golf balls, sunglasses, childrens toy cars, etc. Not sure if there is anything specific to the X5.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #20
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
BMW Lifestyle is their continuation of BMW branded sales to compliment their cars. Jackets, mugs, golf balls, sunglasses, childrens toy cars, etc. Not sure if there is anything specific to the X5.

For the record, my comment was an obviously very bad attempt at humour :-).
      07-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #21
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Audi was a strong player about 6 years ago but has since given up any focus or direction in what their cars are to be. Several magazine articles I read last year on Audi had many wondering why Audi has no clear direction on who they are. Their brand identification has been lost. They were noted for their excellent interiors 10 years ago but that can only take you so far. Since then their emphasis on style over substance has left the brand very hollow and unappealing to me and I was long time Audi fan back in the days of S and RS4 cars. I don’t like how the structure of the entire VAG runs their division. VAG waters down the identity and personalities of their cars. Porsche has been tainted and is in constant struggles within this company structure.

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-11-2019 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
aone41521.00
      07-12-2019, 12:04 AM   #22
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Audi was a strong player about 6 years ago but has since given up any focus or direction in what their cars are to be. Several magazine articles I read last year on Audi had many wondering why Audi has no clear direction on who they are. Their brand identification has been lost. They were noted for their excellent interiors 10 years ago but that can only take you so far. Since then their emphasis on style over substance has left the brand very hollow and unappealing to me and I was long time Audi fan back in the days of S and RS4 cars. I don’t like how the structure of the entire VAG runs their division. VAG waters down the identity and personalities of their cars. Porsche has been tainted and is in constant struggles within this company structure.

Audi right now reminds me a bit of Lexus starting in 2005 or so. Lexus was white hot in the early 2000's and then just lost it and they've been a non-factor since.

Audi was pretty hot, like you said, 5-7 years ago but I'm not impressed with the new body styles on the A7, A6, A8, etc.....just seems boring to me. We have a 2017 Q7 and it's just meh.....it's my fiance's car. I don't even drive it anymore.....too boring.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0