BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2019, 11:27 PM   #1
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Volvo S60

XC90 T8 vs X5 40i

My dad has just started looking at new cars. Right now he has a 2013 E-Class. However, since my mom and I bought new cars he has to buy a new one too I guess. He's debating between a fully loaded 2018 XC90 T8 that a customer decided they didn't want after they ordered. The MSRP is 92k but is going for 87k. The other option he's looking into is ordering a completely loaded 40i X5 probably around 88k. My mom is protesting the idea of him getting the X5 since she has one. I also don't like the idea of him getting the T8 XC90 as I already know he'll point out the fact that his is the upgraded version of mine. What are y'alls thoughts?
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7264.00
      01-05-2019, 02:24 AM   #2
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

I test drive the XC90 before I bought the X5. In think it is a great looking vehicle and the interior is well laid out and comfortable. However, as soon as I drove them both, I knew immediately that I wanted the X5. It just felt more planted and stable. It has sportiness and elegance and I didn’t feel like I was just floating around corners while I was driving.

If you want the looks and comfort of the Volvo, (do your research on the current direction of the company) then test drive it. Then test drive the new X5... that will make your choice more clear
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7264.00
      01-05-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The X5 is a drivers car. The Volvo is certainly not. Volvo’s engines are not in the same league as BMW. Longevity of the Chinese supercharged/turbo 4 cylinder engine Volvo uses has yet to be seen but it’s not going.to be good. Your asking too much from a hamster wheel in such a large heavy vehicle. Volvo had to use these engines due to their financial situation but at vehicles in the $65k+ price point, it’s unsatisfactory and a unfair solution for it to compete with a much superior power plant of the German competition. History has shown, Volvo does these kinds of cost cutting measures. It’s a fundamental philosophy difference between German driving machines and Scandinavian values in automobiles.

I also think Volvo’s build quality isn’t German level yet. Close but most materials used in the Volvo are not quite as quality oriented and their fit and finish feels more quality domestic than European. I think you need to test drive the both. The new X5 has a 5 star crash rating so Volvo has nothing up over BMW in safety.

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-05-2019 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7264.00
      01-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
ERDRFF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911S

So your mom has an X5 and you have the XC90 and that's all your dad can think of getting? Why not check out the 2020 GLE or the E63 Estate? Or the BMW X7?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
ven7782
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 2017 Q7 prestige

I was completely mesmerized by the T8 eAWD Plug-in Hybrid. It also had the 5.5K federal tax credit. But my wife didn't even let me test drive it and shot down the idea of a Volvo. According to her a Volvo is not in the same league as BMW, Audi or the Merc. Based on some of the comments here, she may be right.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #6
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

The car is very nice, interior is beautiful. It doesn't drive as nice as the X5 but the T8 is just as fast, not the nicest engine in the world being a hard working 4 cylinder but with the the electric assist it is fast. The big difference is that the XC90 is a plug in hybrid and the X5 won't have that available until late this year or early next - if that is important then the Volvo wins. If driving dynamics is important then the BMW wins. The volvo will get a little better fuel economy but not much and the electric range is like the old x5 19miles which is not terribly useful - if your Dad is into have the electric capabilities, he should wait for the X5 45e with the excellent inline 6 and 40-50 miles of battery range - then it will have it all and be better by far. Safety systems are about the same, autonomous driving is similar, X5's new Pro system has full hands off driving in traffic which Volvo does not have that I can see.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

I'm all for reliability first, that's why I bought a Lexus. Love the Volvo, used to own one but their reliability record is in the gutter these days. Read stories on their forum about cracked pistons, repairs bills of $16,000.

Be careful.

I'd look hard at the Acura MDX Advance package. LOTS of car for a great price and the reliability should be good.

Consumer Reports IS your friend.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Waiting for the Volvo's slow as molasses infotainment to boot up was a deal killer for me. The engine too belongs in a the $45-$55K range, not what Volvo is charging. It does have more comfortable seats and an airy cabin compared to the G05.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #9
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ven7782 View Post
I was completely mesmerized by the T8 eAWD Plug-in Hybrid. It also had the 5.5K federal tax credit. But my wife didn't even let me test drive it and shot down the idea of a Volvo. According to her a Volvo is not in the same league as BMW, Audi or the Merc. Based on some of the comments here, she may be right.
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if he was buying them just to annoy us. He looked at the Cayenne but said it was to pricey for what he was getting. I told him to check out the Macan. It's smaller but he really doesn't need to carry anything large and I told him it'll probably handle better. My wife was the opposite. She has a volvo too. She saw all the safety feature like run off road mitigation, pilot assist, city safety, etc. She did a lot of research. While the X5 and Q7 score well in crash test, I still think Volvo is the best in terms of safety.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #10
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedesc View Post
While the X5 and Q7 score well in crash test, I still think Volvo is the best in terms of safety.
Really? Why would you assume that with the latest Euro NCAP results?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #11
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Really? Why would you assume that with the latest Euro NCAP results?
I don't look at Euro NCAP as they don't test small overlap or the strength of the vehicle. IIHS does small overlap. Although all the European luxury SUV's score well in the test because the frames aren't likely to bend easily, Volvo is the only car I've seen that keeps moving forward after impact. The others fly backwards after hitting the wall which is bad since it causes whiplash. IIHS hasn't tested the 2019 X5 yet, however if you lookup the small overlap test on the Q7 you will notice after crashing the car rolls backwards which is terrible for your neck especially during a crash. The fact that BMW hasn't had the X5 crash tested by IIHS in years makes me nervous that they know it won't do well.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #12
chicagofreeman
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Audi Q7

Q7 then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedesc View Post
My dad has just started looking at new cars. Right now he has a 2013 E-Class. However, since my mom and I bought new cars he has to buy a new one too I guess. He's debating between a fully loaded 2018 XC90 T8 that a customer decided they didn't want after they ordered. The MSRP is 92k but is going for 87k. The other option he's looking into is ordering a completely loaded 40i X5 probably around 88k. My mom is protesting the idea of him getting the X5 since she has one. I also don't like the idea of him getting the T8 XC90 as I already know he'll point out the fact that his is the upgraded version of mine. What are y'alls thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #13
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark609 View Post
I'm all for reliability first, that's why I bought a Lexus. Love the Volvo, used to own one but their reliability record is in the gutter these days. Read stories on their forum about cracked pistons, repairs bills of $16,000.

Be careful.

I'd look hard at the Acura MDX Advance package. LOTS of car for a great price and the reliability should be good.

Consumer Reports IS your friend.
Yes, the T8 tends to have a lot of software issues that don't plague the T5 and T6. So far after my 5th month of ownership, I am yet to have a problem with my T6. However, can't stand Acura after quality issues with my last one and the interior is no where close to the X5 or XC90 not even a CX-9. Don't think my dad would look at an MDX either especially since it's an older model.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #14
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Waiting for the Volvo's slow as molasses infotainment to boot up was a deal killer for me. The engine too belongs in a the $45-$55K range, not what Volvo is charging. It does have more comfortable seats and an airy cabin compared to the G05.
They updated it now! The 2019 models have a new graphics chip and processor, the problem doesn't exist on any of the new models.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #15
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I had a 2017 T8. The interior is a very nice place to be, and it is very well packaged (three rows with space for actual adults in the third row). The sensus interface looks good but lacks processing power so it was too slow in its responses. Ride comfort is terrible without the air suspension, but my air suspension was the most unreliable part of the car (two complete failures of the compressor in cold weather). When the air worked the ride was decent even on the 22" wheels.

Road and wind noise is quite intrusive. The materials felt quite high quality, but a few of the many dealer loaners I had already seemed quite tired.

EV range is better in the real world than some competitors (eg my friend's Cayenne e-hybrid). The two power trains are very well integrated, and it all works seamlessly.

Main absolute dealbreaker for me was the shocking reliability. I had 11 warranty repairs in 14 months of ownership, and sold the car because I just couldn't take it any more.

Overall it would have been a great car werenit not for the reliability issues. Because of these issues, I'd probably never buy a Volvo again.
      01-06-2019, 03:54 AM   #16
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

I came out of a 3 year lease on a 2016 XC90 T6 when I got my G05 X5. The vehicle was great, only warranty issue was a thermostat replacement.

The interior quality, as well as fit/finish I find on par if not higher than my G05 X5. The engine is not as refined as the X5, but they're 2 completely different setups. I also drive an F-Pace Type R occasionally, and after using that for the past week, it had me questioning why I bought the X5 because I personally enjoy the supercharged engine and handling better in the Jag. And when I'm loading people and stuff into my X5 it also makes me question why I didn't buy another XC90 (needless to say notably less fits into the Jag). All these vehicles have their positives and negatives; everything is subjective, so there's never going to be a clear winner.

For the money, the Volvo is all around the best offering on the market imo, and having driven one for 39 months I can say it was an excellent SUV. However, I can't stand staring at the same dash for 6 years so the smaller and sportier G05 is what I ended up with for the next 3.

One nice thing both the Volvo and Jag have is remote start AND a spare tire (hell, my 2007 Denali even had these), and its something BMW should take lesson on, as the lack of those 2 items have pissed me off enough that I may not have bought the BMW had I known this (as petty as it may sound).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 05:58 AM   #17
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

First, let your Dad get what he truly wants to drive, and not try to dissuade him based on what either you or your Mom drive.

Second, Volvo makes a gorgeous SUV; really love the aesthetics. While the interior is arguably more refined than many luxury brands, the engine is not.

Third, what is your Dad looking for in his next car? If his first priority is a safe, fun, engaging ride, I say go for the BMW. If not, there are plenty of other reasonable choices. As another poster noted, perhaps consider the Q7.

Finally, no matter what your Dad decides, refer to my first point herein.
Appreciate 1
mnewnam269.50
      01-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #18
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
Main absolute dealbreaker for me was the shocking reliability. I had 11 warranty repairs in 14 months of ownership, and sold the car because I just couldn't take it any more.

Overall it would have been a great car werenit not for the reliability issues. Because of these issues, I'd probably never buy a Volvo again.
That really is a shame! Wonder if that's because the Swedes gave up the brand and the Chinese owners Zhejiang Geely Holding Group just don't have their heart (and minds) into it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #19
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post

That really is a shame! Wonder if that's because the Swedes gave up the brand and the Chinese owners Zhejiang Geely Holding Group just don't have their heart (and minds) into it.
I'd love to say I was unlucky, but while my vehicle was an extreme case, the forums are full of reliability horror stories (more so than can be explained just by the self-selecting nature of forums). My dealer had three other XC90s in the shop with the same air suspension issue when I was going through that particular hell. The loaner they gave me displayed the suspension failure message while my car was being repaired. I think this issue has been resolved now, though. I also think the 2019s have more processing power for the sensus system.

My favourite line from the dealer was that the car hadn't been designed for extreme cold. Last time I checked, Sweden isn't known for its warm winters.
      01-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #20
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's mainly the T8 models that have issues. I don't think it has to do with Geely not having their hearts and minds into it, they've provided Volvo with money so that Volvo can put out designs they've made in concepts cars for so long. Ford acted as a parasite to the company as they took a lot of the profits Volvo made and sold them once Volvo started bringing in less money.

I think the reason for all the issues is the technology and big step advancements. Volvo went from manufacturing cars on a platform that was built in 1998 (partly by Ford) to a whole new platform called SPA, which most their cars are built on, while also offering way more equipment than before. Most XC90 issue comes in the form of software glitches which plague many SPA cars particularly T8 models. Also the air suspension has proved to be unreliable on many 2016-17 cars. I haven't had issues on my 2019, which makes sense as I don't have air suspension and the software issues have been ironed out on the new models.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #21
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
First, let your Dad get what he truly wants to drive, and not try to dissuade him based on what either you or your Mom drive.

Second, Volvo makes a gorgeous SUV; really love the aesthetics. While the interior is arguably more refined than many luxury brands, the engine is not.

Third, what is your Dad looking for in his next car? If his first priority is a safe, fun, engaging ride, I say go for the BMW. If not, there are plenty of other reasonable choices. As another poster noted, perhaps consider the Q7.

Finally, no matter what your Dad decides, refer to my first point herein.
Lol, yeah, help him get what he wants and not dissuade him from something just because you'll be jealous... that's crazy. They're all great vehicles in their own right... it comes down to personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #22
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
Lol, yeah, help him get what he wants and not dissuade him from something just because you'll be jealous... that's crazy. They're all great vehicles in their own right... it comes down to personal preference.
I hope y'all know I wasn't being serious about being upset about that. Yes it would be annoying for both of us to have black XC90's but we live in separate towns. As for my mom, she won't let him get the X5, the main reason being she wants to have two different cars available to drive. However, he's narrowed it down between a RRS P400E and he also really liked the Q8. I'm just trying to help him get the best deal he can get on either.
Appreciate 0