BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #23
RyBMW2
Rep
Drives: E90, E92, E70, 18 XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The X5 is a drivers car. The Volvo is certainly not. Volvo’s engines are not in the same league as BMW. Longevity of the Chinese supercharged/turbo 4 cylinder engine Volvo uses has yet to be seen but it’s not going.to be good. Your asking too much from a hamster wheel in such a large heavy vehicle. Volvo had to use these engines due to their financial situation but at vehicles in the $65k+ price point, it’s unsatisfactory and a unfair solution for it to compete with a much superior power plant of the German competition. History has shown, Volvo does these kinds of cost cutting measures. It’s a fundamental philosophy difference between German driving machines and Scandinavian values in automobiles.

I also think Volvo’s build quality isn’t German level yet. Close but most materials used in the Volvo are not quite as quality oriented and their fit and finish feels more quality domestic than European. I think you need to test drive the both. The new X5 has a 5 star crash rating so Volvo has nothing up over BMW in safety.
Getting tired of comments regarding Chinese build quality. Look around you. Almost everything, including the computer or mobile device you use to visit bimmerpost, bimmerfest, or any what nots are made in China or contains parts that are Made in China.

The engine is not made in China. If you have done some research you would see that XC60s built in China are of better quality compared to the ones built in Sweden. At least what owners are saying in the forums.

Have you driven a new Volvo with the supercharged/turbocharged 4 Cylinder yet? Feels quicker than my 2012 E70. The transmission on the X5 does feel a lot better though.

The build quality in my 2018 XC90 is exceptional. The materials are on par compared to BMW.

I had my XC90 for 7 months now and no rattles so far. My E90 had the center console rattle after a month along with a couple of other small rattles, E92 had the seatbelt butler rattle, E70 had the tailgate, 2nd row seat rattle and developed an annoying suspension knock after 2 years, which BMW could not fix. It eventually went away after I replaced the front brakes and performed the TSB.

E92 came with misaligned hood. E70 came all 4 doors misaligned, 3rd brake light misaligned, and driver side mirror with a piece chipped off of the top left corner. XC90 has almost perfect fit and finish. Nothing misaligned.

The BMW dealers were able to fix those quality issues, but it shouldn't arrive from the factory this way. Not sure how it missed QC. After the E70, I came to believe that it's the norm. Aside from the build quality issues, all 3 BMWs were very reliable. I loved all 3 of them. I would definitely get another BMW in the future. BMW just didn't have what fit my criteria when I got the XC90. I considered the Q7 and was very close to getting it but the 3rd row is useless.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #24
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyBMW2 View Post
Getting tired of comments regarding Chinese build quality. Look around you. Almost everything, including the computer or mobile device you use to visit bimmerpost, bimmerfest, or any what nots are made in China or contains parts that are Made in China.
Point is well taken. Have been thru many a computer and our Huawei Matebook Pro X (the Apple killer) is better than anything out there.

Same with our Huawei Honor phones. Nothing comes close to the quality, service updates, and high tech of these phones. The voice quality alone is better than any land line.

BUT, Volvo has engine problems. Maybe we should blame the Swede's engineers because apparently they are still involved.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #25
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Volvo S60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark609 View Post
Point is well taken. Have been thru many a computer and our Huawei Matebook Pro X (the Apple killer) is better than anything out there.

Same with our Huawei Honor phones. Nothing comes close to the quality, service updates, and high tech of these phones. The voice quality alone is better than any land line.

BUT, Volvo has engine problems. Maybe we should blame the Swede's engineers because apparently they are still involved.
I could debate all day about Matebook VS. MacBook (I love my Mac). Opinions aside, the majority of engine issues in the Volvo stems from software issues which cause the car to think the engine is failing. When in reality the engine is behaving as it should. One of the main problems is peoples cars going into reduced performance, however this a known software issue not engine problem and it has since been solved.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #26
tqbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550

I also was facing this decision. I ended up with a new x5.

My reasons:

1. The engine on the X5 is light years ahead of the Volvo. Such a better power plant. There is no comparison.

2. I saw dealers selling not just a few, but MANY cars that were repurchased by Volvo (I.e. lemons) and fixed then being sold at substantial discounts with lemons. This reinforced what I thought and what others are saying- the Volvo engine is too small in displacement to put out that power and has a supercharge and turbo. That's just a bad mix for reliability.

The Volvo is a stunning car and the materials are very high quality inside. But the above 2 reasons and I stayed clear.

Tariq
Appreciate 1
Mark609166.50
      01-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #27
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

When I first started researching my next vehicle, Volvo was on my list and I mentioned it to a woman I worked with since her fiancé is the service manager for the local Volvo dealer. The next day she told me that he said I should stay away from them for a few years because of all of the reliability issues. He knew I made a cross country trip each year and said he would hate to see me stuck in the middle of nowhere with an engine that doesn't run. This was two years ago so it could be they have those problems taken care of and the reliability will start increasing.
Appreciate 1
Mark609166.50
      01-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #28
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
When I first started researching my next vehicle, Volvo was on my list and I mentioned it to a woman I worked with since her fiancé is the service manager for the local Volvo dealer. The next day she told me that he said I should stay away from them for a few years because of all of the reliability issues. He knew I made a cross country trip each year and said he would hate to see me stuck in the middle of nowhere with an engine that doesn't run. This was two years ago so it could be they have those problems taken care of and the reliability will start increasing.
My salesman told me the same thing when I was looking back in 2016.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 02:47 AM   #29
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyBMW2 View Post

The engine is not made in China. If you have done some research you would see that XC60s built in China are of better quality compared to the ones built in Sweden. At least what owners are saying in the forums.

Have you driven a new Volvo with the supercharged/turbocharged 4 Cylinder yet? Feels quicker than my 2012 E70. The transmission on the X5 does feel a lot better though.

The build quality in my 2018 XC90 is exceptional. The materials are on par compared to BMW.

I had my XC90 for 7 months now and no rattles so far. My E90 had the center console rattle after a month along with a couple of other small rattles, E92 had the seatbelt butler rattle, E70 had the tailgate, 2nd row seat rattle and developed an annoying suspension knock after 2 years, which BMW could not fix. It eventually went away after I replaced the front brakes and performed the TSB.

E92 came with misaligned hood. E70 came all 4 doors misaligned, 3rd brake light misaligned, and driver side mirror with a piece chipped off of the top left corner. XC90 has almost perfect fit and finish. Nothing misaligned.

The BMW dealers were able to fix those quality issues, but it shouldn't arrive from the factory this way. Not sure how it missed QC. After the E70, I came to believe that it's the norm. Aside from the build quality issues, all 3 BMWs were very reliable. I loved all 3 of them. I would definitely get another BMW in the future. BMW just didn't have what fit my criteria when I got the XC90. I considered the Q7 and was very close to getting it but the 3rd row is useless.
Coming from a former XC90 owner, you basically summed up every single one of my thoughts. All this XC90 bashing from a bunch of folks who likely have never driven one further than 5 miles (if at all), let alone owned one for several years. I had one of the very first production XC90's in Canada, and I can say it was one of the least problematic vehicles I've ever owned. A lot of people must have already forgotten about the 'buggy mess' complaints on their G05's; doesn't the forum poll show close to 50% of us G05 owners are having issues already???

Our old E70 was a rattly, creaky disaster after a year. Both the X164 and X166 GL's were even worse at 1yr than the E70. My S5 has a meager 35k kms and rattles like a 1990 Ford F150 farm truck. All the above vehicles had numerous warranty issues with electronics and fit/finish right off the get go, and it was a bloody fight trying to get any cosmetic problems addressed at BMW, Merc, and Audi.

The XC90 was a game changer for the mid size segment and we can all thank Volvo for forcing the Germans to up their interior standards on the G05, because Volvo simply blew every offering out of the water in 2016. The G05 is a very good SUV, but its also 3 years newer than the current gen XC90, so it SHOULD have an edge on it simply for that fact. I was in a buddy's 'new' 2018 GLE43 the other day and that is like a dinosaur compared to our G05's and the XC90, BUT as it should be - its 7yr old technology. Like I said in a previous post, I would have bought another XC90 other than the fact I get bored of looking at the same dashboard after 3 years, so I needed something at least as good, and the only contender out there was/is the G05.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:10 AM   #30
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Waiting for the Volvo's slow as molasses infotainment to boot up was a deal killer for me. The engine too belongs in a the $45-$55K range, not what Volvo is charging. It does have more comfortable seats and an airy cabin compared to the G05.
Working on fixing the UI. But, that alone does not drop price of car that much.

It is a very comfortable drive and T8 has nice HP topping that of G05 until 45e hits market.

I would definitely take the G05 given those two choices.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:43 AM   #31
Braehead
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2 Black (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJELITE View Post
Coming from a former XC90 owner, you basically summed up every single one of my thoughts. All this XC90 bashing from a bunch of folks who likely have never driven one further than 5 miles (if at all), let alone owned one for several years. I had one of the very first production XC90's in Canada, and I can say it was one of the least problematic vehicles I've ever owned. A lot of people must have already forgotten about the 'buggy mess' complaints on their G05's; doesn't the forum poll show close to 50% of us G05 owners are having issues already???

Our old E70 was a rattly, creaky disaster after a year. Both the X164 and X166 GL's were even worse at 1yr than the E70. My S5 has a meager 35k kms and rattles like a 1990 Ford F150 farm truck. All the above vehicles had numerous warranty issues with electronics and fit/finish right off the get go, and it was a bloody fight trying to get any cosmetic problems addressed at BMW, Merc, and Audi.

The XC90 was a game changer for the mid size segment and we can all thank Volvo for forcing the Germans to up their interior standards on the G05, because Volvo simply blew every offering out of the water in 2016. The G05 is a very good SUV, but its also 3 years newer than the current gen XC90, so it SHOULD have an edge on it simply for that fact. I was in a buddy's 'new' 2018 GLE43 the other day and that is like a dinosaur compared to our G05's and the XC90, BUT as it should be - its 7yr old technology. Like I said in a previous post, I would have bought another XC90 other than the fact I get bored of looking at the same dashboard after 3 years, so I needed something at least as good, and the only contender out there was/is the G05.
This sums me up exactly right now. I'm in a 2017 D5 R-Design with full air suspension and 22" bling rims at the moment. In my two years of ownership it's never put a foot wrong. It's an excellent car and has just transported my family of 5 and all our luggage for a 1k mile round trip in great comfort (at 38mpg too!). But it's time for a change and the choices I'm looking at now are another XC90 but this time the T8 hybrid in Inscription Pro spec (more comfortable than my R-Design) against the X5 M40i. To get the spec similar in both they work out at roughly the same price too. The anti-diesel lobby in the UK is putting me off a diesel - extra taxes, parking charges, likely future city bans etc. My biggest dislike of the XC90 is the infotainment system as the iDrive is so much easier and safer to use while driving.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 06:55 AM   #32
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

If you are contemplating to spend 87-90k definitely go for x5 m50.
523hp, limited slip. M sport suspension - all you need to know

Volvo is not even in the same league. It is a drivers forum, - so recommendations are based on driving dynamics not phone connections.

Volvo needs new engine, new transmission and new suspension to compete.

The only competition to x5 is Cayenne. Bit to achieve x5 m50 performance you need to spend 130k on a Porsche.

Last edited by Ilyam5; 07-15-2019 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
Laki021366.50
      07-15-2019, 08:03 AM   #33
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

I find it insulting to even compare the new X5 with XC90, they are literally not in the same league in any aspect.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:57 PM   #34
radelow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

I just sold my 2017 T6 Inscription XC90 and have an X5 on order. I put 28k miles on the XC90 so I think I have a pretty good perspective on it. I have posted this elsewhere but below is a quick summary of my thoughts/experiences:

The Good
1. Great exterior design. It is a beautiful car from every angle.
2. Great interior design. Quality of materials is second to none. Anyone that says it isn't on par with BMW is either just plain wrong or a BMW fanboy.
3. Very comfortable to drive and excellent freeway vehicle.
4. Air suspension is well sorted out.

The Bad
1. Sensus system, while good in concept, does not have the processing power to truly work well. It takes awhile to load. Sometimes the backup camera wouldn't work when I backup first thing in the morning. Also Carplay didn't always work right and sometimes the volume wouldn't work right.
2. 4-cylinder engine does not belong in a $70k car. The power was only adequate. The motor doesn't sound good and the fuel economy I experienced was horrible (~18mpg)
3. Reliability was fair to middling. I had quiet a few niggling problems (Sensus stopped working, buttons on wheel stopped working, etc.). The worst part was the lack of loaners (our dealership, the largest in San Diego maybe had 10?). I know sounds petty but I don't have time to wait at the dealership. Although they would provide a free rental it would take me an hour to get that all taken care of (picked up, driven to rental shop, wait in line, check out).
4. Blew through all four corners of brake pads in 15k miles. This is common. Leads me to believe the brakes are under engineered.

Would I buy another one? If they stick with the 4-cylinder no. If the car had a 6-cylinder I would seriously consider it. The looks and interior are great.
Ilyam5888.50
      07-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #35
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braehead View Post
My biggest dislike of the XC90 is the infotainment system as the iDrive is so much easier and safer to use while driving.
I am working on fixing that.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #36
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braehead View Post
My biggest dislike of the XC90 is the infotainment system as the iDrive is so much easier and safer to use while driving.
I am working on fixing that.
what?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #37
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
what?
I am fixing Volvo software.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #38
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

I have a 2017 XC90 T5, first Volvo (Would have got the R-design if I knew about Volvos when I got mine) and I really like it alot. I definitely prefer the BMW X5 , but its a great car for the money. I hate Lexus. would never ever buy one again.
      07-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #39
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedesc View Post
It's mainly the T8 models that have issues. I don't think it has to do with Geely not having their hearts and minds into it, they've provided Volvo with money so that Volvo can put out designs they've made in concepts cars for so long. Ford acted as a parasite to the company as they took a lot of the profits Volvo made and sold them once Volvo started bringing in less money.

I think the reason for all the issues is the technology and big step advancements. Volvo went from manufacturing cars on a platform that was built in 1998 (partly by Ford) to a whole new platform called SPA, which most their cars are built on, while also offering way more equipment than before. Most XC90 issue comes in the form of software glitches which plague many SPA cars particularly T8 models. Also the air suspension has proved to be unreliable on many 2016-17 cars. I haven't had issues on my 2019, which makes sense as I don't have air suspension and the software issues have been ironed out on the new models.
As someone who used to work for Volvo, and have driven a couple of XC90s, I can say that it is a really nice vehicle. I'm currently cross-shopping it with the G05 myself. One of my big hang-ups with it have already been mentioned here: the engine, even with the Polestar tune, is coarse and underpowered for the size. Even though the T6 weighs 500 lbs less, it seems like it has to work harder than the outgoing 5 & 6 Cylinder engines shared with Ford. My other gripe is with the infotainment. I'm more of a tactile person when I'm driving; I need to know that I can touch something without taking my hands off the wheel. BMWs iDrive seems to satisfies that need more than Volvo's Sensus.

Good luck with whatever your dad decides.

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #40
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark609 View Post

Actually the 2.0 4 cylinder used in the new Volvo's is very reliable, it has literally been used since 2013 and doesn't have record of unreliability. The common problems that plague Volvo is software issues, not engine problems. Research would tell you that...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #41
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey john View Post
I'm more of a tactile person when I'm driving; I need to know that I can touch something without taking my hands off the wheel. BMWs iDrive seems to satisfies that need more than Volvo's Sensus.

Good luck with whatever your dad decides.
I think you tangled your words just a bit lol. And I made this thread a while ago and kind of forgot about it. He got a pretty good deal on a new Q8 and loves it so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:50 AM   #42
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M Sport

I love the XC90 and was really close to buying one. My main issue with it was that whilst it is powerful enough, the economy really isn't much better than the X5 40i yet doesn't have the smoothness of the straight six BMW unit. So you don't really get any tangible advantage for having the smaller 4 Cyl unit so why wouldn't you want the straight six?! That said, I am coming to the X5 from a V70 and that has been an epic car; I love it. The comments regarding the X5 being three years newer tech are bang on, but what is equally impressive is that despite this the XC90 is still selling in huge numbers.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #43
radelow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL View Post
I love the XC90 and was really close to buying one. My main issue with it was that whilst it is powerful enough, the economy really isn't much better than the X5 40i yet doesn't have the smoothness of the straight six BMW unit. So you don't really get any tangible advantage for having the smaller 4 Cyl unit so why wouldn't you want the straight six?! That said, I am coming to the X5 from a V70 and that has been an epic car; I love it. The comments regarding the X5 being three years newer tech are bang on, but what is equally impressive is that despite this the XC90 is still selling in huge numbers.
It sells because if you are someone who doesn't care about driving dynamics/motor etc. the XC90 is an excellent option. It has just as nice an interior, it has a useable third row and the basic functions all work and it is a much better deal (if you buy a T5 or T6 especially the discounts are HUGE).
      07-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #44
YYCG05
Rep
Drives: 19 X5 50i

My wife drives a '18 XC90 Inscription and I will echo a few comments previous. Firstly, I purchased her a used '16 XC90 Inscription in January 2018. It had extended warranty on it so I wasn't too fussed on getting the service history, but looking back, I definitely should have. It turned out that this one was one of the first ones off the assembly line and was an absolute lemon from the get go. In the first 2 years of ownership and less than 30K miles, it had been in the shop for something like 18 different issues! For the short time we owned it (7 months), it was in the shop countless times. The AC compressor alone had to be replaced 4 times. I raised a stink with the owner of the dealership after my complaints to the service manager fell on deaf ears and he agreed to buy it back and give me a very generous discount on a brand new one. The one shocking thing was that I would have assumed that they would have fired it off to auction, but they actually put it back on the lot and sold it to another sucker. There were actually a few on the lot that had been bought back.

On to the positives, I really like the exterior look of them, particularly with the 21' rims. The interior in my mind is much nicer than the X5. Gas consumption is much better than my F15 X5 35i and of course a drop in the bucket relatively to my thirsty G05 X5 50i. The rear storage area is significantly larger than the X5 which was the reason we purchased the vehicle to begin with as we found the rear of my F15 to be on the small side when going away for the weekend with the kids.

The engine power or lack thereof as others have stated leaves a lot to be desired. It is adequate, but that's about it for such a large vehicle. That being said, it fits my wife's needs. The main user interface can be a bit buggy at times, but we haven't had any major issues with it. Of course reliability, especially for the 2016s was a major issue, but we haven't faced any major issues with the new one with the exception of a warning that popped up last week stating that the driver assistance is unavailable.
Appreciate 0