BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-12-2019, 11:27 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Swap runflats for go flats?

Has anybody swapped their runflats for go flats on the G05?

I have to say the runflats are better than I expected and I don't hate them. That said, I'd love to know how much better the ride would be on proper tires.

On my F30, getting rid of the runflats (which were horrible) transformed the car.

Regardless, the frugal side of me would let the runflats wear down a bit before casting them aside. It would be nice to know, however, if there is something to look forward to in terms of ride improvement.

Has anybody made the switch on the G05? How did it go? Do you recommend switching?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
My car is six weeks old and I plan to trade or sell in four years. I was debating buying a set of non runflats, before the existing tires get too worn, and saving the ones I have to put back on the car when I sell it.

There have been other threads on this.

I’m not sure how difficult it is to match the size - mine are 19-in standard. AND I’m not sure if the new wheels will fit on a future car, since I don’t know what that future car will be. Might work to buy them in a 20 or 21-inch size, which might be more likely to fit on a future car.

It is a lot to spend, but replacing the runflats will be expensive also. They are unlikely to last four years in decent shape, from what I’ve read (about 10,000 miles per year, possibly less).

I know NOTHING about tires, rims, etc. any opinions greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I have removed runflats on 5 or 6 new BMWs and swapped them for runflats. Here are the pros and cons:

1. If you are leasing you need to turn the car in with runflats if it came with runflats and the tires have to have the minimum amount of tread to pass inspection. I think it might be at least 2/32 on the entire tread face.
2. Non runflats might give you a better ride but they will handle differently and could strand you if you have a major tire failure. This can happen even if you carry a slime kit as it will not repair a major blowout.
3. The newer runflats are much better than the ones of 5+ years ago. They ride better and many last longer.
4. Runflats do cost more but you save having to buy a spare tire and wheel.
5. I am keeping the runflats on my X5 because I am leasing and expect to put less than 25K miles on the vehicle in 3 years and hope the original tires will pass inspection at lease turn in.
6. I also ordered the spare tire kit since it only cost $150. I think the price has gone up since I ordered in February.

Personally I would retain the runflats especially if you are leasing. Just MHO and 2 cents.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 2
Tenac4537.00
sygazelle11328.50
      07-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Has anybody swapped their runflats for go flats on the G05?

I have to say the runflats are better than I expected and I don't hate them. That said, I'd love to know how much better the ride would be on proper tires.

On my F30, getting rid of the runflats (which were horrible) transformed the car.

Regardless, the frugal side of me would let the runflats wear down a bit before casting them aside. It would be nice to know, however, if there is something to look forward to in terms of ride improvement.

Has anybody made the switch on the G05? How did it go? Do you recommend switching?
I took the staggered Pirelli P Zero run flats off my X3 and put a set of non run flat Continental DWS, non staggered on. Threw a jack, 12v air pump, tire iron, spray water bottle, tire repair (plug) kit and vise grips in the car under the cargo floor. Put 35K miles on those Continentals. Picked up a screw in one of them, jacked up the car, pulled the screw out, plugged the tire, pumped it up and drove 10K miles, no issue.

Why did I do it? The Pirelli's were crap...hard riding, noisy and since they were staggered, I could not rotate them. The Continentals were a completely different story, the car road fantastic, smooth, quiet and as an unexpected bonus, they gave me 3mpg more on trips.

Drove the car from NY to Florida to California and back without issue. Ok, that said, when I buy my X5, I will buy the spare tire kit option and keep the all season run flats on the car - best of both worlds and today's run flats are better than they were five years ago. If in fact I end up not liking the run flats, I'll get ride of them and go back to non run flats as I will have the spare tire kit.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11328.50
      07-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I swapped tires on my 340i within a couple months of getting it, the ride was awful. With the G05 we were prepared to possibly do the same thing but the runflats aren't very objectionable and actually deliver a nice ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Which tires do you have? I have the Pirelli Scorpion All Season run flats and the ride is horrendous. Really unimpressed with run flats after these.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #7
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
Which tires do you have? I have the Pirelli Scorpion All Season run flats and the ride is horrendous. Really unimpressed with run flats after these.
Ours has Bridgestone.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 07:01 AM   #8
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
My car is six weeks old and I plan to trade or sell in four years. I was debating buying a set of non runflats, before the existing tires get too worn, and saving the ones I have to put back on the car when I sell it.

There have been other threads on this.

I’m not sure how difficult it is to match the size - mine are 19-in standard. AND I’m not sure if the new wheels will fit on a future car, since I don’t know what that future car will be. Might work to buy them in a 20 or 21-inch size, which might be more likely to fit on a future car.

It is a lot to spend, but replacing the runflats will be expensive also. They are unlikely to last four years in decent shape, from what I’ve read (about 10,000 miles per year, possibly less).

I know NOTHING about tires, rims, etc. any opinions greatly appreciated.
Very easy to match tire size. One thing you have to consider is tires have a shelf life - I've never had a tire longer than 2 years, but I think at the 4 to 5 year mark, I would be thinking of replacing them even if they still have tread left. Especially if the tire has been exposed to sun light. You would be at the beginning cycle of dry rot - the rubber is more brittle and could expose you to a major tire blowout. Not worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #9
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
Ours has Bridgestone.
Maybe that’s why people are having better experiences with the run flats? Neither of the two X5s I test drove had these tires and they seemed okay for the 5 miles or so I drove them, but these just plain suck.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Maybe that’s why people are having better experiences with the run flats? Neither of the two X5s I test drove had these tires and they seemed okay for the 5 miles or so I drove them, but these just plain suck.
I've had Pirelli's on and off over the years, never been happy with any of them. I have the P Zero run flats now, not happy with them either.

For me, the Pirelli's worn unevenly and rotation didn't help, they were noisy and wore out in less than 20K miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #11
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
My G05 has the Bridgestones as well. Not bad. Certainly better than I expected. As soon as they are worn out, its go flats for me. Making the swap transformed my F30. I'm not expecting that big a bump, but go flats must be a better ride than runflats.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #12
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Mine are Michelin’s.
The problem with going to a lot of expense to replace them is that I have no idea if they will really make a difference in the ride.

I consider the cars ride on the stiff side. Maybe other tires would help, maybe not. My biggest pet peeve is what it will cost to replace the runflats.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #13
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Mine are Michelin’s.
The problem with going to a lot of expense to replace them is that I have no idea if they will really make a difference in the ride.

I consider the cars ride on the stiff side. Maybe other tires would help, maybe not. My biggest pet peeve is what it will cost to replace the runflats.

I agree. The tires are good enough to leave on until they wear out. Its what happens next. For me, I'm going with the best go flats I can find to see how much it improves the ride. While acceptable right now, I'm never going to be against a better ride. My personal experience with swapping out run flats on my F30 is all I need to go for it again.

I buy cars outright and keep them for a long time so I don't need to worry about lease-relate tire requirements.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #14
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I agree. The tires are good enough to leave on until they wear out. Its what happens next. For me, I'm going with the best go flats I can find to see how much it improves the ride. While acceptable right now, I'm never going to be against a better ride. My personal experience with swapping out run flats on my F30 is all I need to go for it again.

I buy cars outright and keep them for a long time so I don't need to worry about lease-relate tire requirements.
I am not leasing but my current plan is to trade at four years when the warranty is up, and at that point get a forever car. Might not be a bmw, although I love the x7.

So if I replace with expensive runflats, they will most likely be nearly new when I trade. Maybe the current tires will last four years, but that seems unlikely.

I don’t put more than 8-10k miles on the car each year, but runflats don’t last more than about 30k from what I’ve read.

I don’t want to be driving a car with bad tires. It’s just too dangerous.

So that is my dilemma. If I change the tires to go flats I won’t have a spare. If I don’t I’m likely replacing them within a year of trading in or selling the car.

We are about to take a long road trip. I wanted my oil changed and I asked my local mechanic last week to get the filter he would need but he can only get it from bmw and didn’t get it in time.

Frustration all around. My dealer is 90 minutes away, so popping in there for an oil change isn’t an option.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
So that is my dilemma. If I change the tires to go flats I won’t have a spare. If I don’t I’m likely replacing them within a year of trading in or selling the car..
I thought you said you got the spare tire option?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #16
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I thought you said you got the spare tire option?
I do have it. I guess I could use that with go flats if I changed the tires, correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #17
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I do have it. I guess I could use that with go flats if I changed the tires, correct?
It is a temporary spare that can be used no matter what tires you have on the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      07-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #18
maczrool
Captain
Rep

Has it ever been determined if the spare kit works with the M Sport brakes? I have those but no spare.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      07-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #19
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Has it ever been determined if the spare kit works with the M Sport brakes? I have those but no spare.
I know when you spec the 22" wheels they include the spare tire. I would also imagine a large portion of ppl buying 22" wheels also opt for the M Sport brakes. It would be a huge oversight if the spare tire wouldn't fit over those calipers - not saying impossible, but very embarrassing on BMWs part that no one would of though of that.
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      07-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #20
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Yes, you could and some use go flats even without a spare. I have done this for years. Carried a slime kit and compressor. Luckily, never had to use it. In reality I would likely call for a flatbed and have the car towed if I had a catastrophic tire failure and needed to mount a spare. If no cell or satellite service I would use the spare and get to the nearest dealer or tire store.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      07-17-2019, 10:53 PM   #21
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
I know when you spec the 22" wheels they include the spare tire. I would also imagine a large portion of ppl buying 22" wheels also opt for the M Sport brakes. It would be a huge oversight if the spare tire wouldn't fit over those calipers - not saying impossible, but very embarrassing on BMWs part that no one would of though of that.
And yet the "geniuses" at BMW Canada are stating that exact thing. No spare in Canada at all. They don't know why, they guess it doesn't fit over the M Sport brakes. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...