03-18-2022, 06:22 AM   #23
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc42 View Post
Don't forget the wireless charging option isn't just that. It also provides the repeater function so your phone can use the car's antennas.

That's why it's "oddly expensive". It's not just the charging pad, it also includes what BMW calls the LTE compensator. As a spare part, that's a separate 230 EUR (roughly) item.

Edit: here is the detail description from the German pricelist - sorry, don't have an English version. I can do a partial translation later today if people are interested.
That's a really great point. I was unaware. Thanks for sharing that. Very useful. Certainly makes the price point more understandable
      03-18-2022, 06:53 AM   #24
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Don't forget the wireless charging option isn't just that. It also provides the repeater function so your phone can use the car's antennas.
yes, I admittedly forget about the LTE compensator. it's definitely an overlooked part of the overall $500 cost. i was in a discussion with one guy who showed the missing LTE compensator in his sans-wireless charger G05

folks in patchy/weak signal areas have reported a benefit, so should be a consideration in such cases despite the weak charger
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-18-2022, 07:55 AM   #25
amc42
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, Z4 (E85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
folks in patchy/weak signal areas have reported a benefit, so should be a consideration in such cases despite the weak charger
Especially with acoustic glass. Reports say that weakens the signal strength somewhat more than the regular glass.

As for the other options in the list - I am pretty sure some of them are coding only and were coded in during the time when the option wasn't available. So people that got wireless charging denied might have some of features that now require the package...

Personally I would inquire very carefully before not ordering the wireless charging package.
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4656.00
      03-18-2022, 11:02 AM   #26
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
yes, I admittedly forget about the LTE compensator. it's definitely an overlooked part of the overall $500 cost. i was in a discussion with one guy who showed the missing LTE compensator in his G05 without wireless charging

These are great points I completely forgot about. Helps me so often. This morning included on my daily drive in to the office. We have next to zero signal so many spots in the mountains and backroads with many random revolving dropouts. The slight boost absolutely makes a difference. Same spot a few times earlier this week, call to my mom dropped. Phone on the pad today, fine. (Yes, I call my mom every day)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 04:22 PM   #27
Celos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive45e

Where is the option for ordering the wireless charging pad on the BMW US site? I just placed an order for an x45e and didn't even see it listed. And I don't see a deletion listed on what I got from my dealer.

I have a wallet case on my phone so the wireless charger isn't useful for me, but the cellular signal booster is interesting.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 05:09 PM   #28
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celos View Post
Where is the option for ordering the wireless charging pad on the BMW US site? I just placed an order for an x45e and didn't even see it listed. And I don't see a deletion listed on what I got from my dealer.

I have a wallet case on my phone so the wireless charger isn't useful for me, but the cellular signal booster is interesting.
It is not a published option on the configurator, you need to ask the dealer to add it to the build.
      03-22-2022, 09:50 PM   #29
DonKeedic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
It is not a published option on the configurator, you need to ask the dealer to add it to the build.
Correct. Code is SA 6NW. The dealership can add it to build for $500. My advisor added it yesterday to my build.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 08:03 PM   #30
Celos
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the clarification. Does anyone know if the cellular booster requires the phone to be on the charging pad (and charging) to work? Or does it just work if the phone is in the little pocket/cubby? Based on what I’ve read, it’s the latter based on an antenna in the pocket that is attached to an LTE compensator box in the trunk area, connected from there to the rooftop antenna.

I am imagining having two phones in the cubby side by side facing front to back (not in the sideways charging orientation), charging off cables. I think that should fit, and if the booster works in that configuration I will probably add the option.

Last edited by Celos; 03-23-2022 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 08:04 PM   #31
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKeedic View Post
Correct. Code is SA 6NW. The dealership can add it to build for $500. My advisor added it yesterday to my build.
Same here. It wasn't on the website, but they could add it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 12:29 AM   #32
hb45e
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 45e on order

6NW - Wireless Charging Option is now available for 2022 x5 45e on BMW build Configurator for $500

I asked my CA to change my build & by adding "Wireless charging" option, now i don't see "Enhanced Bluetooth & smartphone integration" in my build under standard features.

Do we lose "Enhanced Bluetooth" by adding "Wireless Charging" ?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 12:02 AM   #33
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Does anyone know if the cellular booster requires the phone to be on the charging pad (and charging) to work? Or does it just work if the phone is in the little pocket/cubby? Based on what I've read, it's the latter based on an antenna in the pocket that is attached to an LTE compensator box in the trunk area, connected from there to the rooftop antenna.

I am imagining having two phones in the cubby side by side facing front to back (not in the sideways charging orientation), charging off cables. I think that should fit, and if the booster works in that configuration I will probably add the option.
I have an MY21 G05 with wireless charging. i also registered my LTE compensator. the phone must be in the charging tray to benefit from it, not from simply being inside the vehicle
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 01:52 AM   #34
Celos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have an MY21 G05 with wireless charging. i also registered my LTE compensator. the phone must be in the charging tray to benefit from it, not from simply being inside the vehicle
Thank you for this and the info on the option package you shared in the other thread.

I realize I'm being pedantic here. I am wondering two things:
  1. For the LTE Compensator to work, does the phone need to be charging in the charging tray, or simply in the tray? Put another way, does the charger being in use somehow turn the LTE Compensator on? Or is it an antenna that's above the tray that's always ready to pick up a signal, but it's just directionally oriented towards the tray?
  2. How sensitive is the charging pad? Can you put a phone in there without it charging?

All this because my phone case has a few credit cards on the back, and as a result I can't use wireless charging pads. I stopped carrying a wallet years ago and I'm not going back.

If I could put my phone in the tray so it wasn't charging but could 'talk' to the LTE Compensator antenna, that would be useful. If it's not possible to put a phone in there without somehow triggering the inductive charging or if charging is a requirement for the LTE Compensator to start compensating, then I'll probably pass on the option.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 10:19 AM   #35
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I realize I'm being pedantic here. I am wondering two things:
  1. For the LTE Compensator to work, does the phone need to be charging in the charging tray, or simply in the tray? Put another way, does the charger being in use somehow turn the LTE Compensator on? Or is it an antenna that's above the tray that's always ready to pick up a signal, but it's just directionally oriented towards the tray?
  2. How sensitive is the charging pad? Can you put a phone in there without it charging?

All this because my phone case has a few credit cards on the back, and as a result I can't use wireless charging pads. I stopped carrying a wallet years ago and I'm not going back.

If I could put my phone in the tray so it wasn't charging but could 'talk' to the LTE Compensator antenna, that would be useful. If it's not possible to put a phone in there without somehow triggering the inductive charging or if charging is a requirement for the LTE Compensator to start compensating, then I'll probably pass on the option.
this is from the manual (translated):
"Each Compensator is individually tested and factory set to ensure FCC compliance and cannot be adjusted without factory reprogramming or disabling the hardware. TheCompensator will amplify, but not alter incoming and outgoing signals in order to increase coverage of authorized frequency bands only. The Compensator only transmits signals if a wake up signal is detected and a signal from a mobile phone is detected. The wake up signal is generated by the cradle only if a mobile phone resides in the coupling tray. If the Compensator detects an oscillation, it will automatically stop the transmission. For a detected oscillation the Compensator will automatically resume normal operation after a minimum of 1 minute. After 5 such automatic restarts, the Compensator shuts off until a manually restart is initialized by taking the mobile phone off the cradle. Noise power, gain and linearity are maintained by the Compensator's microcontroller."

while it's still unclear if a charging signal is required to 'wake up' the compensator, i would think it does. OTW, it won't know you placed a phone in the coupling antenna area since it's not actively looking for it while on standby.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 03-27-2022 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
Celos88.50
      03-27-2022, 10:30 AM   #36
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

My wife has an iPhone with a case that holds credit cards, etc. She loves the wireless charger. I have an Android with a reasonably thin case. I prefer using a USBC fast charger. I can drain my battery faster than it can charge. This is a 2020 model. Unsure if 2022 has increased the charge rate
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 01:57 PM   #37
Celos
Private First Class
Rep

nZtiZia, thank you very much for digging up all this information. I really appreciate all the knowledge you've been passing along.

Quote:
while it's still unclear if a charging signal is required to 'wake up' the compensator, i would think it is. OTW, it won't know you placed a phone in the coupling antenna area since it's not actively looking for it while on standby.
I think it's a reasonable assumption that the wake-up signal comes from putting a phone on the wireless charging pad, but agreed that it's not clear. I wonder if charging anything there (like an AirPods case) would suffice.

I am still undecided. The technical materials indicate there are two possible wireless chargers, one that's oriented side-to-side and comes with the heated/cooled cupholders, and one that's oriented back-to-front for regular cupholders. I think I could place my phone in the back-to-front one to the right of the charging pad.

Can anyone who has the wireless charger but doesn't have the heated/cooled cupholders confirm the orientation? (Or, more generally, folks who have either a 2021 and 2022 x45e — which charger orientation do you have?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
My wife has an iPhone with a case that holds credit cards, etc. She loves the wireless charger.
If I had a wallet case that opened like a book, I think wireless chargers would work. I have one that's a single piece, and there's no way to place the phone on the charger without the cards being in the way.
Attached Images

Last edited by Celos; 03-27-2022 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      03-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #38
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
My wife has an iPhone with a case that holds credit cards, etc. She loves the wireless charger. I have an Android with a reasonably thin case. I prefer using a USBC fast charger. I can drain my battery faster than it can charge. This is a 2020 model. Unsure if 2022 has increased the charge rate
AFAIK, the charge rate hasn't increased with the wireless charging components coming back in stock.

Quote:
[…]Can anyone who has the wireless charger but doesn't have the heated/cooled cupholders confirm the orientation? (Or, more generally, folks who have either a 2021 and 2022 x45e — which charger orientation do you have?)[…]
i believe heated/cooled cup holders were never available as an option in the U.S. G05, just the F95 (and I assume the F96), so the layout with wireless charging is as shown on the left with the phone in a vertical position. this is the orientation in my MY21 X5 45e with wireless charging and non-thermoelectric cup holders. hopefully someone with a U.S. F95 or F96 with wireless charging and heated/cooled cup holders will confirm their charger's orientation.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 07:03 PM   #39
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
i believe heated/cooled cup holders were never available as an option in the U.S. G05, just the F95 (and I assume the F96), so the layout with wireless charging is as shown on the left with the phone in a vertical position. this is the orientation in my MY21 X5 45e with wireless charging and non-thermoelectric cup holders. hopefully someone with a U.S. F95 or F96 with wireless charging and heated/cooled cup holders will confirm their charger's orientation.
The heated/cooled cup holders were available in the US in MY19 and MY20 as part of the Executive Package for the G05.
      03-27-2022, 09:33 PM   #40
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The heated/cooled cup holders were available in the US in MY19 and MY20 as part of the Executive Package for the G05.
thanks for clarifying. now i do recall they were bundled with both acoustic glass and soft-close doors when they were all dropped with MY21+ production
Appreciate 0