BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-30-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
masterwhite1989
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

07/2020.80 update stuck after upload

My phone downloaded 07/2020.80 update, started the upload to the car ( last time I checked was at around 60% then got stuck with no % showing with statement “ preparations of the update will automatically be resumed shortly”
It’s been like this for 1 week.

I have restarted the idrive multiple times, I have fixed the “key battery dead” error, I have deactivated comfort access as it might be causing a battery drain as it sometimes prevent proper shut down. I have canceled the update on my phone and downloaded it again with no changes.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do next?

PS: i hooked up a volt meter to the car and with engine on voltage reads 12.8 volts, so it looks like ether battery or alternator are going/gone bad. So i will be booking a trip to the dealer to get that sorted out
Attached Images

Last edited by masterwhite1989; 12-30-2020 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 08:52 AM   #2
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
It is my understanding that you have to be driving the car for the download to complete. It won't happen just setting still. If you are using BMW connect, then some have force the download to the car, but if you are relying on OTA, then it will download while driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny185 View Post
It is my understanding that you have to be driving the car for the download to complete. It won't happen just setting still. If you are using BMW connect, then some have force the download to the car, but if you are relying on OTA, then it will download while driving.
I did mine entirely while just sitting there without driving anywhere. Now, if you are expecting OTA into the vehicle directly, and not offloaded from your phone, I think, yes, you need to be running with the vehicle on.

Once I had it into my phone, the whole process was done in about 30-minutes...maybe 10 to offload it from the phone and 20 or so (once it started, I left) to actually apply it.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2021, 08:08 PM   #4
lights
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

I’m stuck at 14% after 1 hour of driving. The iPhone app says uploading to vehicle, but no progress.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 09:21 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I had the same issue where it downloaded to the app on my phone and began transferring to the car. Then it just hung. I tried turning off the car, rebooting phone, etc. 3 or 4 times just kept getting stuck at 19%.

I eventually deleted the stored file from my phone (actually I disconnected the wifi direct transfer and waited for car to download OTA) and allowed the car to download through cellular. Took 2 days but once it was ready I turned off the car and started the install. Finished 20 minutes later.

However, after it finished it took about 30 minutes before Android Auto appeared as an option in iDrive. Also Drive Recorder refused to start until the same time Android Auto began working. So it seems there's some additional OTA downloading and installing that takes places once you upgrade to the 7/2020.xx version OTA.
      01-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
lights
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I had the same issue where it downloaded to the app on my phone and began transferring to the car. Then it just hung. I tried turning off the car, rebooting phone, etc. 3 or 4 times just kept getting stuck at 19%.

I eventually deleted the stored file from my phone and allowed the car to download through cellular. Took 2 days but once it was ready I turned off the car and started the install. Finished 20 minutes later.

However, after it finished it took about 30 minutes before Android Auto appeared as an option in iDrive. Also Drive Recorder refused to start until the same time Android Auto began working. So it seems there's some additional OTA downloading and installing that takes places once you upgrade to the 7/2020.xx version OTA.
I’m on iOS - I don’t see a way to delete the file from the phone. There is a “cancel upgrade” option. Is that what you chose? I worry if I cancel the car won’t try to get the update.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lights View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

I eventually deleted the stored file from my phone and allowed the car to download through cellular. Took 2 days but once it was ready I turned off the car and started the install. Finished 20 minutes later.

I’m on iOS - I don’t see a way to delete the file from the phone. There is a “cancel upgrade” option. Is that what you chose? I worry if I cancel the car won’t try to get the update.
I'm on Android. In my case I disconnected the wifi direct connection on phone and left it that way until the car downloaded the software OTA. Took a couple of days. Once the car installed the upgrade the app cleared the available upgrade and all was good. Sorry, my previous post wasn't well authored.
      01-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

On iOS, you must connect with both BT and WiFi according to the instructions. With mine, using an iPhone Xs, it offloaded from the phone in maybe 10-minutes, then I started the update in the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:17 PM   #9
masterwhite1989
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

So I left the car parked over the long weekend as my dealer appointment was Monday morning. Go in to start the car this morning and the update got unstuck, and the battery management error did not comeback.

Took it to the dealer anyway to check the charging system. Dealer call and said that they found no problems with the electrical system and that they went ahead and installed the update that I uploaded to the car from my phone with out any issues.
Appreciate 0