BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #155
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

So, according to a few articles I've read recently, this being one of them, with the introduction of hot spot they added a second eSIM to the car. The primary eSIM is for the connected drive stuff and the second eSIM is for the hotspot. That's why the Connected Drive stuff worked but the hotspot didn't. The eSIM for the hotspot wasn't provisioned properly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcru...r-car-key/amp/
Appreciate 1
lumpydog690.50
      01-30-2019, 11:25 PM   #156
hcastudillo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i M-Sport 3rd

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 02:27 PM   #157
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LX570

I was playing around bmw WiFi this morning I see option where bmw use iPhone personal hotspot to broadcast bmw wifi hotspot. As long as iPhone connect to car by Bluetooth and WiFi and kid iPad can use bmw hotspot in the car. I saw one of my kid iPad device listed that connect to bmw WiFi. I will play around some more tonight.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #158
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 540xi M-Performance

I like many of you had been frustrated on the connection and setup issue for the AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspot. I called BMW and they referred me to AT&T which didn't recognize the cars phone number but recognized my VIN. They opened a ticket for me and emailed me a day later with a "new" number to enter and register my car. The new number worked! And I now have the Wi-Fi Hotspot fully functioning in my G05.
2009 BMW X6 50i Dinan (Sold) Alpine White
2003 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Laguna Seca Blue | 1995 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Santorini Blue II
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #159
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssadri View Post
I like many of you had been frustrated on the connection and setup issue for the AT&T Wi-Fi Hotspot. I called BMW and they referred me to AT&T which didn't recognize the cars phone number but recognized my VIN. They opened a ticket for me and emailed me a day later with a "new" number to enter and register my car. The new number worked! And I now have the Wi-Fi Hotspot fully functioning in my G05.
Boom! Congrats!
      01-31-2019, 08:42 PM   #160
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Can you access the myvehicle.att page when connected to the car via CarPlay, or do you need to pair it through the WiFi only (apps and internet) function?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 11:20 PM   #161
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

Today i had a problem with my connected app then on the way home i noticed the car was not getting data. I called assist and they took a lot of time since my car said disconnected on there end. While i was looking at stuff in the car that might be a problem i saw a had a notice on the pull down tab. I checked the notice and it was a new acceptance agreement. I touched accept and a moment later she said the car was transmitting data. I went back to my laptop and checked the connected app and now my car was there and had a new phone number. I then went to the myvehicle.atti page and was able to sign up and get the hotspot going.I did everything from my laptop.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #162
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Can you access the myvehicle.att page when connected to the car via CarPlay, or do you need to pair it through the WiFi only (apps and internet) function?
You need to pair through the WiFi with the internet connection on. Try going to https://att.com/bmw and if it loads the hotspot should be on.

The other method is that when that connection is on and a phone is attached to that WiFi beacon, prompt to join the WiFi through the activation wizard shows up. Not sure if everyone else got to it this way, but one my hotspot was finally live this popped up for me once I connected to the WiFi hotspot with the phone again.

If you get the wizard just follow the steps through without stopping so you don't have to shut the car off or turn off the beacon and back on again to get it to start over.
      02-01-2019, 09:19 AM   #163
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerstyler View Post
You need to pair through the WiFi with the internet connection on. Try going to https://att.com/bmw and if it loads the hotspot should be on.

The other method is that when that connection is on and a phone is attached to that WiFi beacon, prompt to join the WiFi through the activation wizard shows up. Not sure if everyone else got to it this way, but one my hotspot was finally live this popped up for me once I connected to the WiFi hotspot with the phone again.

If you get the wizard just follow the steps through without stopping so you don't have to shut the car off or turn off the beacon and back on again to get it to start over.
Okay, thanks. I wasn’t sure if there would be an internet connection when using CarPlay.

I did try connecting via the WiFi only function yesterday, but didn’t realize at the time that I was supposed to access the ATT page that way. I was just trying random webpages, and none worked. I never saw any activation wizard promps either.

I’ll give it another shot this morning if I still have access to the car. I don’t think I re-updated the apps either (though I did do a HU reset), so there’s a few things I can try still. This is for one of our customers, and quite honestly there is little to no info out from BMW on any of this. At least that technicians have access to. This thread is WAY more helpful than anything I’ve found on TIS.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #164
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Quote:

Okay, thanks. I wasn’t sure if there would be an internet connection when using CarPlay.

I did try connecting via the WiFi only function yesterday, but didn’t realize at the time that I was supposed to access the ATT page that way. I was just trying random webpages, and none worked. I never saw any activation wizard promps either.

I’ll give it another shot this morning if I still have access to the car. I don’t think I re-updated the apps either (though I did do a HU reset), so there’s a few things I can try still. This is for one of our customers, and quite honestly there is little to no info out from BMW on any of this. At least that technicians have access to. This thread is WAY more helpful than anything I’ve found on TIS.
Call your CA and say you need a PUMA case opened. That's the best way to guarantee someone at BMW aid working on this. Otherwise, this will just drag on for you.
      02-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #165
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Call your CA and say you need a PUMA case opened. That's the best way to guarantee someone at BMW aid working on this. Otherwise, this will just drag on for you.
Thankfully, I can open a PUMA case myself if I want. I’m going to use all my own resources first though. The biggest problem is that neither the sales people, Geniuses, or (most) owners seem to understand how you’re supposed to set this up. Then I’m forced to learn when someone comes in and says the WiFi doesn’t work. I knew the G05s were going to have these type of issues, unfortunately.

I’ll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #166
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Does anyone know for sure if wr have 2 sims in the car? One for TCu so the car connects. And one cor hotspot modem? I hot the IMEI for TCu. But i do not want to give it to att and loose connection
Or do we have one modem and one sim card and hot spot is just set up as a secondary guest network
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 08:36 PM   #167
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
Today i had a problem with my connected app then on the way home i noticed the car was not getting data. I called assist and they took a lot of time since my car said disconnected on there end. While i was looking at stuff in the car that might be a problem i saw a had a notice on the pull down tab. I checked the notice and it was a new acceptance agreement. I touched accept and a moment later she said the car was transmitting data. I went back to my laptop and checked the connected app and now my car was there and had a new phone number. I then went to the myvehicle.atti page and was able to sign up and get the hotspot going.I did everything from my laptop.
Ok. Got the hotspot working but lost connected services. a couple phone calls today but still not resolved. i will call in the morning to genius. On a positive side for some reason carplay is working better.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #168
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I found my vehicle phone numbers through this link. This number make it easier to sign up hot spot free trial.

https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/cd...n?locale=en_US
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #169
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I tried use the number I saw on my account and it let sign up for free 3 months free trial 3gb data plan.

I used this link to sign up

https://myvehicle.att.com/#/bmw/lear...US&language=en

Last edited by Hchhuor; 02-09-2019 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #170
incubatewhisky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMX X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hchhuor View Post
I found my vehicle phone numbers through this link. This number make it easier to sign up hot spot free trial.

FWIW I didn't believe you because I've been to that site multiple times and the number on the site didn't work (started with 521). I just went to the site and my number has changed. I haven't contacted BMW or ATT about my issues so this looks like a good sign. I'm going to see if my hotspot is fixed in the morning.
Appreciate 1
cdbeach19.00
      02-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #171
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubatewhisky View Post
Quote:

FWIW I didn't believe you because I've been to that site multiple times and the number on the site didn't work (started with 521). I just went to the site and my number has changed. I haven't contacted BMW or ATT about my issues so this looks like a good sign. I'm going to see if my hotspot is fixed in the morning.
I was using my home WiFi while sign up free trial. Did you use your home WiFi or your bmw wifi in the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #172
incubatewhisky
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMX X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was using my home WiFi while sign up free trial. Did you use your home WiFi or your bmw wifi in the car?
Haven't tried with the new number I saw today, but with the 521 number I had I tried both methods and neither worked.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #173
cygnusecks
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

Quote:
Haven't tried with the new number I saw today, but with the 521 number I had I tried both methods and neither worked.
My car finally got a new number - and was able to use it to sign up for 3 month trial - but wifi still no workey in car. Do I need to reboot iDrive or something?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #174
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
I tried use the number I saw on my account and it let sign up for free 3 months free trial 3gb data plan.

https://myvehicle.att.com/#/bmw/lear...38;language=en
Worked for me. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #175
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
Quote:

https://myvehicle.att.com/#/bmw/lear...38;language=en
Worked for me. Thank you!
You're welcome
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #176
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I finished sign att hotspot free trial but my kids iPad connect to bmw hotspot but no data. Is there something I need to do?
Appreciate 0