BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
Whitebb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e M Sport

Correct Powerstop Brake Pads (Not 1608B, 1868)

If you have a M Sport Brake (4 Piston Brembo Brake), please aware that the fitment of the pads from the Powerstop is 1868 not 1608B. I ordered 1608B and ended up returning because it does not fit at all.

There is a thread covers the parts but, it did not fit at all. Some of the users mentioned that the brakepad is smaller, where it makes a click sound when the brake is engaged. It is very obvious because pads are really small.

I have 21 45e with M sport Brake.

Look at those pictures. Picture 1,2 shows the comparison of OEM Brembo brake vs 1868 brake pad. The surface area is much greater, hence I assume more grip onto the rotors. Also, the slotted middle will allows for a better cooling.

The remaining pictures shows the comparison of OEM brembo brakes vs 1608B brake pads. 1608B pads are very small. Wonder why there was multiple discussions about the braking force and why brakes are not worth it to replace from the stock pads.

After 100 mile drive, powerstop pads produce way less dust. Also a quick ceramic coating on the wheels really helped, and eased the process of the cleaning maintenance of the wheels. Hence, I recommend to do the ceramic coating on the wheels since you will be taking out the pads anyway.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      10-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #2
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebb View Post
If you have a M Sport Brake (4 Piston Brembo Brake), please aware that the fitment of the pads from the Powerstop is 1868 not 1608B. I ordered 1608B and ended up returning because it does not fit at all.

There is a thread covers the parts but, it did not fit at all. Some of the users mentioned that the brakepad is smaller, where it makes a click sound when the brake is engaged. It is very obvious because pads are really small.

I have 21 45e with M sport Brake.

Look at those pictures. Picture 1,2 shows the comparison of OEM Brembo brake vs 1868 brake pad. The surface area is much greater, hence I assume more grip onto the rotors. Also, the slotted middle will allows for a better cooling.

The remaining pictures shows the comparison of OEM brembo brakes vs 1608B brake pads. 1608B pads are very small. Wonder why there was multiple discussions about the braking force and why brakes are not worth it to replace from the stock pads.

After 100 mile drive, powerstop pads produce way less dust. Also a quick ceramic coating on the wheels really helped, and eased the process of the cleaning maintenance of the wheels. Hence, I recommend to do the ceramic coating on the wheels since you will be taking out the pads anyway.
Thanks for the clarification on this. Do you happen to know what size will work with the rears (w/ M Sport Brakes)? Z23-1850's I presume?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #3
Whitebb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
Thanks for the clarification on this. Do you happen to know what size will work with the rears (w/ M Sport Brakes)? Z23-1850's I presume?
1850 fits on the rear M sport brake. I am a bit disappointed that they decided to put 1 piston instead if two piston brembo brake
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #4
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
1850 fits on the rear M sport brake. I am a bit disappointed that they decided to put 1 piston instead if two piston brembo brake
So I went ahead and installed the 1850s and 1868s on my 19 50i. Immediately after, I started to notice a loud clunking noise coming from the front brake assembly. Did you have this issue and If so, how did you fix it?
Appreciate 1