Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

09-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #1
jy10882
Registered
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 G05

Apple CarPlay in Overseas

I am an active military and stationed in Korea now.
My new X5 (US Spec) delivered in June and Apple CarPlay is not activated/working because I am in Korea as well as ConnectedDrive.

However, another brand new X5 (US Spec) delivered in August in Korea, the Apple CarPlay is activated and working here in Korea.

Yes, both vehicles were purchased in same place via BMW military Sales in Korea.

What is the issue with my vehicle for the Apple CarPlay?
Is my vehicle require software or firmware update?

The BMWUSA said my vehicle will not work until I bring the vehicle to the State..
My question is how does the other X5 is working here in Korea?

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #2
M3nt4l
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20, BMW E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy10882 View Post
My new X5 (US Spec) delivered in June and Apple CarPlay is not activated/working because I am in Korea as well as ConnectedDrive.

However, another brand new X5 (US Spec) delivered in August in Korea, the Apple CarPlay is activated and working here in Korea.

Yes, both vehicles were purchased in same place via BMW military Sales in Korea.

The BMWUSA said my vehicle will not work until I bring the vehicle to the State..

Any suggestions?
If you message me the last 7 of the VIN I can check for you. Thanks
Sat Nav Map Updates
SLI FSC
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #3
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 XDrive40i

Apple Carplay HELP!

I'm in the same boat. I bought a new 2021 X5 from the BMW military sales in Korea. I just got the car last week and I have no Apple Carplay. I called BMW of North America and they were no help. Is there a way around this? I can't register the car through BMW and the connected drive app doesn't work. Is there a work around for this? This honestly shouldn't be this complicated. My Apple Carplays works fine in my 20K Hyundai that I shipped here.

2021 X5 Xdrive 40i, M Sports Package, Alpine White, Coffee Vernasca Leather, Executive Package, Third-row seat, 21" Y spoke rims
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
bimmereason
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i, F10 535xi, F26 X4

Garage List
I got the same issue but I am not in Korea. Seems like the issue for Apple CarPlay or any other features related with Connected Drive are not possible to solve due to the ATM module for US Spec is not working out of US soil. I used ISTA to check the ATM, it has no signal reception.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:33 PM   #5
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmereason View Post
I got the same issue but I am not in Korea. Seems like the issue for Apple CarPlay or any other features related with Connected Drive are not possible to solve due to the ATM module for US Spec is not working out of US soil. I used ISTA to check the ATM, it has no signal reception.
So I found out from my salesman that when the car was shipped to Korea and went through customs, they unplugged my gps as it would keep searching for a signal and crash the I drive. Or something to that extent. From doing further research it seem that CarPlay won't be available because you need to set it up in the connected drive app, which also requires the telecommunications on the car to work to unlock CarPlay. So hopefully Bimmer Tech or another 3rd party company can find a way to code CarPlay in the MGU. I hope this makes sense. This is my understanding of this anyway.

2021 X5 Xdrive 40i, M Sports Package, Alpine White, Coffee Vernasca Leather, Executive Package, Third-row seat, 21" Y spoke rims
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:33 PM   #6
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy10882 View Post

I talked with Bimmer-Tech last night. They are able to unlock/activate Carplay remotely. The cost is $599, and takes around 30 minutes. If you only want Carplay and don't want the hassle of jumping through hoops to get full functionality then this may be the easiest way. I think I may go this route.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...lay-activation

Any suggestions?

I talked with Bimmer-Tech last night. They are able to unlock/activate Carplay remotely. The cost is $599, and takes around 30 minutes. If you only want Carplay and don't want the hassle of jumping through hoops to get full functionality then this may be the easiest way. I think I may go this route.

If your looking for full functionality, check out this forum. A guy in Europe was able to get full functionality. It's alot of hoops to jump through tho. Plus no one from my knowledge has done it yet in Korea, so there is still that as an unknown.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1682440

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:56 PM   #7
vkxkswk_xxxk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbizzle86 View Post
So I found out from my salesman that when the car was shipped to Korea and went through customs, they unplugged my gps as it would keep searching for a signal and crash the I drive. Or something to that extent. From doing further research it seem that CarPlay won't be available because you need to set it up in the connected drive app, which also requires the telecommunications on the car to work to unlock CarPlay. So hopefully Bimmer Tech or another 3rd party company can find a way to code CarPlay in the MGU. I hope this makes sense. This is my understanding of this anyway.
this is somewhat right, the dealer said it may get update over-the-air while it's waiting at the customs. Do you know how long your vehicle was waiting at the customs?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #8
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_xxxk View Post
Quote:
this is somewhat right, the dealer said it may get update over-the-air while it's waiting at the customs. Do you know how long your vehicle was waiting at the customs?
In the US? I have no idea. Sitting in customs in Korea, no more then 10 days.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 12:36 AM   #9
vkxkswk_xxxk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

If your looking for full functionality, check out this forum. A guy in Europe was able to get full functionality. It's alot of hoops to jump through tho. Plus no one from my knowledge has done it yet in Korea, so there is still that as an unknown.

Is it just me or the link doesn't work anymore?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 12:58 AM   #10
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It appears they have revamped their website. Try this.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-idrive-coding/

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 01:00 AM   #11
vkxkswk_xxxk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It appears they have revamped their website. Try this.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-idrive-coding/
Did you ever get the carplay to work?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 01:08 AM   #12
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep

No, Bimmer-tech refunded my money and said they couldn't do it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 08:03 AM   #13
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep

For those of you who are affiliated with the military and are buying new X5's or any new BMW thru BMW military sales, and you have I drive 7, chances are you will have the same issues I had. No navigation in the country your stationed at, no telematics (LTE data services), can't add vehicle to the connect drive, no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto and the list goes on. For me Apple CarPlay was a must. I have a buddy on this forum who found a guy on here who goes by [COLOR="Blue"]Kubax86[/COLOR], who is able to code in CarPlay. My buddy did his a couple weeks ago and I just got my 2021 X5 done today. It take 15 minutes and a laptop and a Ethernet to OBDll connector. I vouch for this guy if anyone is weary.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #14
gtotheq
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2022 BMW M3 (G80)  [0.00]
2021 BMW / X5  [0.00]
Quote:
For those of you who are affiliated with the military and are buying new X5's or any new BMW thru BMW military sales, and you have I drive 7, chances are you will have the same issues I had. No navigation in the country your stationed at, no telematics (LTE data services), can't add vehicle to the connect drive, no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto and the list goes on. For me Apple CarPlay was a must. I have a buddy on this forum who found a guy on here who goes by [COLOR="Blue"]Kubax86[/COLOR], who is able to code in CarPlay. My buddy did his a couple weeks ago and I just got my 2021 X5 done today. It take 15 minutes and a laptop and a Ethernet to OBDll connector. I vouch for this guy if anyone is weary.
Is this on Korea? Germany? I have this issue but in Germany
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 06:04 PM   #15
Mjbmw1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For those of you who are affiliated with the military and are buying new X5's or any new BMW thru BMW military sales, and you have I drive 7, chances are you will have the same issues I had. No navigation in the country your stationed at, no telematics (LTE data services), can't add vehicle to the connect drive, no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto and the list goes on. For me Apple CarPlay was a must. I have a buddy on this forum who found a guy on here who goes by Kubax86, who is able to code in CarPlay. My buddy did his a couple weeks ago and I just got my 2021 X5 done today. It take 15 minutes and a laptop and a Ethernet to OBDll connector. I vouch for this guy if anyone is weary.
Can he code android auto?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 01:36 AM   #16
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjbmw1 View Post
Quote:
Can he code android auto?
Probably, but I'm not 100% sure. Just send kubax86 a pm.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 01:42 AM   #17
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtotheq View Post
Quote:
Is this on Korea? Germany? I have this issue but in Germany
This issue happens everywhere when the car is outside the US. Some issues are different like if you bought the car in the states and had the connected drive set up and CarPlay/Android Auto activated, then shipped it overseas. If you buy thru the BMW military sales you will have this issue no matter where the car is shipped. Because the car has to be setup in the states. If your in Germany, see this thread. Hope it helps.

US Spec with Euro connected drive 2020 X5 M50i https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1682440

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #18
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Would anyone know if it's possible to code in carplay if it was a local stock car in a market which BMW does not offer carplay to begin with? Bimmercode doesn't seem to offer it for the VIN.

tbizzle86 was what you were referring to specific to US BMW military sales only?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 12:54 AM   #19
ForsakenJedi71
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Had a buddy get all the features of Connected app including car play and remote start here in Germany without sending an email or doing anything? Did BMW finally allow all features available in the US to be used overseas?!
      04-25-2021, 06:02 PM   #20
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiki08 View Post
Would anyone know if it's possible to code in carplay if it was a local stock car in a market which BMW does not offer carplay to begin with? Bimmercode doesn't seem to offer it for the VIN.

tbizzle86 was what you were referring to specific to US BMW military sales only?
Which market?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #21
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Which market?
Hong Kong
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #22
ForsakenJedi71
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Had a buddy get all the features of Connected app including car play and remote start here in Germany without sending an email or doing anything? Did BMW finally allow all features available in the US to be used overseas?!