10-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 XDrive40i

Question Apple Carplay Activation from Bimmer-Tech

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with getting Apple Carplay unlocked/activated with Bimmer-Tech? I just took delivery of my 2021 X5 40i that I bought through the BMW military sales in Korea. Since the car is located in Korea I have no navigation, no telematics, I can't register the car, and the Connected Drive App doesn't work so I can't get Carplay through the Connected Drive. There are threads on here about this issue for US spec cars in other countries, especially the ones bought through the military program that aren't set up prior to being shipped overseas.. The only other option is to unlock/activate Carplay with Bimmer-Tech. I sent them an email like a week ago asking if they could activate it, but they said they couldn't for the MGU head unit. I looked at their website, and it showed its compatible with 2019-2020 G05 X5s. So I emailed Bimmer-Tech back and they say they can do it remotely. I called and spoke to the manager to get more info, and he stated the first guy just didn't know they could do it. So now i'm contemplating doing this, but I don't really want to spend $600 to activate something that I should technically have free anyway. Is there anyone that has done this to a 2019-2021 G05?

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...lay-activation

2021 X5 Xdrive 40i, M Sports Package, Alpine White, Coffee Vernasca Leather, Executive Package, Third-row seat, 21" Y spoke rims

Last edited by tbizzle86; 10-26-2020 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

ive got the full BMW suit earlier today from a guy on ebay and im trying to see if any of the tools will allow me to enable carplay. Ill let you know what comes out of these attempts.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
ive got the full BMW suit earlier today from a guy on ebay and im trying to see if any of the tools will allow me to enable carplay. Ill let you know what comes out of these attempts.
Yes, please keep me updated. I honestly don't know why a BMW technician can't just unlock via a computer using the OBD2 plug. It's silly that you have to jump thru hoops to get something that free anyway.

2021 X5 Xdrive 40i, M Sports Package, Alpine White, Coffee Vernasca Leather, Executive Package, Third-row seat, 21" Y spoke rims
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:09 PM   #4
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep

So I had ordered the CarPlay activation through Bimmer-Tech after being told the first time that they couldn't do. I emailed them saying their website says it's compatible with the 2019-2020 G05, so what the difference between those and the 2021? I get an email back saying they can do it remotely. Now, like 4 days later I get a email saying Bimmer-Tech is refunding my money. There was no explanation given why it was refunded. So, I emailed Bimmer-Tech asking what is going on. Here's the email I got. I must say I'm pretty disappointed that Bimmer-Tech doesn't know what they're capable of. I spoke with the manager before I purchased their CarPlay activation and he assured me the first guy just didn't know they were capable of activating it remotely. At this point, even if they do come up with a way I'm not sure if I trust this company. The first time was an honest mistake, but the second time bothers me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So the good news is i got my software suit and was able to update my software and got a few new features (mostly the voice activation stuff) but no carplay unfortunately.

Ive emailed a few vendors who told me the same thing about it being undoable because i've got the S6A (teleserivces) like you.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i still cannot understand why we why are stuck into this CD loophole thats blocking Carplay.

Have you tried contacting BMW north america? they might help you... i tried by they insisted they couldn't help because my car is a Middle eastern spec and it needs to go through them.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:57 AM   #7
tbizzle86
Private
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
i still cannot understand why we why are stuck into this CD loophole thats blocking Carplay.

Have you tried contacting BMW north america? they might help you... i tried by they insisted they couldn't help because my car is a Middle eastern spec and it needs to go through them.
After a month of waiting I just received this email.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0