BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #67
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Ran through update, reboot iDrive, connect phone and iPad to wireless hotspot. Can not connect to ATT site (or any other website) on either device while using hotspot WiFi. Tried using my vehicle’s cell number found on the Connected website - error message.

Sounds like a bunch of us still have not been enabled with ATT and have non-functional hotspots (still).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #68
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 G05

Garage List
The fun continues. I'll get a hold of the Genius line tomorrow when they open to see if there is a ghost of a chance to get it working or confirmed that the vehicle is listed with AT&T. If anyone has an update before I post what happens, let us know what your outcome was.
      01-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #69
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
I have WiFi setup with a password, is that the same as the HotSpot. I never signed up with AT&T. Any input is much appreciated.
Yes that's it. If you enable the internet connection then all devices attached to the WiFi will try to route internet traffic over that cell in the car. You should be able to go to a site like google.com in your phone's web browser and a page for activation of the internet connection should come up if the hotspot cell is working properly. I don't have snap shots of the under experience for this, but I believe some others have shared on this thread or in the forum of what they've seen during a successful setup.
      01-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #70
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerstyler View Post
Yes that's it. If you enable the internet connection then all devices attached to the WiFi will try to route internet traffic over that cell in the car. You should be able to go to a site like google.com in your phone's web browser and a page for activation of the internet connection should come up if the hotspot cell is working properly. I don't have snap shots of the under experience for this, but I believe some others have shared on this thread or in the forum of what they've seen during a successful setup.
I appreciate the info, the instructions are not clear at least for me.
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #71
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's my update:
Spoke with the Genius line. Even though some cars are starting to work when turning on the WiFi, others in the 2019 X5 still haven't begun working. The Genius was very honest with me about the ongoing problems and said that once the hotspot is able to be turned on that the trial will begin once it is activated.

So now for me it is just wait and see while they get each car up as they go through all of the VINs.

Outside of me trying to activate from time to time there is nothing left for me to do until AT&T allows that hotspot's SIM to start transmitting over their network.
kschac55.50
      01-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #72
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Here's my update:
Spoke with the Genius line. Even though some cars are starting to work when turning on the WiFi, others in the 2019 X5 still haven't begun working. The Genius was very honest with me about the ongoing problems and said that once the hotspot is able to be turned on that the trial will begin once it is activated.

So now for me it is just wait and see while they get each car up as they go through all of the VINs.

Outside of me trying to activate from time to time there is nothing left for me to do until AT&T allows that hotspot's SIM to start transmitting over their network.
Good update/intel. Thanks for sharing - good that trial clock is not ticking until activation
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #73
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Same issue Here. ATT has no info from BMW. and BMW has no idea when they will send the data to them.

In the meantime - My phone keeps grabbing the car WiFi even after i forget the network since it needs it to connect to apple car play.

This makes the cell data stuck and no info is coming to the phone. I can fix it by turning WiFi off, but apple car play does not work. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #74
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Shut off the internet connection setting in the same screen you enable WiFi
      01-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #75
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Here's my update:

I returned home last night from 8 days in Romania. I followed instructions here and got the "incompatible" error message as I could not activate with a mobile device while inside the vehicle.

Is there any point in calling the number offered or my CA or is it a waiting game based on the VINs?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #76
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This seems to be in AT&Ts and BMW Corporate's hands so probably very little you'll get out of them. However, we are all hoping for more tasty info for those of us that still have this issue. If you call let us know what you find out.
      01-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #77
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Quote:
Here's my update:

I returned home last night from 8 days in Romania. I followed instructions here and got the "incompatible" error message as I could not activate with a mobile device while inside the vehicle.

Is there any point in calling the number offered or my CA or is it a waiting game based on the VINs?
I opened a case with a BMW Genius at Corporate and they kept me updated weekly until they fixed it.
Appreciate 1
Xeno313.00
      01-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #78
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewnam View Post
I opened a case with a BMW Genius at Corporate and they kept me updated weekly until they fixed it.
I just called the same and was told that I can call them or keep retesting.

He said that when someone calls, they forward the VIN to a team specializing in this issue. He said it was unknown if the problem was with BMW or AT&T.

I understand that to mean that all those who have this issue should call the Corporate IT to forward your VIN which should benefit all of us.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #79
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'll get a PUMA case started then. Thanks, again.
      01-16-2019, 08:37 PM   #80
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

i am confused by the att wifi. i can not connect so i assume im not authorized. where i am also confused is both my other cars have carplay and i use pandora. When i get in those cars it just comes up. with this bmw i cant figure out what i am supposed to do. Do i need att wifi to play pandora? How can i just make the car use carplay like it works in my cheap little colorado?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #81
dlmerchant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i, 2017 F25 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Same issue Here. ATT has no info from BMW. and BMW has no idea when they will send the data to them.

In the meantime - My phone keeps grabbing the car WiFi even after i forget the network since it needs it to connect to apple car play.

This makes the cell data stuck and no info is coming to the phone. I can fix it by turning WiFi off, but apple car play does not work. Any suggestions?
Go under the WiFi settings on your phone while it's connected to your car, and forget the BMW WiFi network.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 12:09 AM   #82
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

While trying to sign up via myvehicle.att.com, it asks for my "Vehicle Mobile Number." Where can I find this information?
For vehicles equipped with Internet Hotspot, the vehicle mobile number can be found on the main status page of the My BMW ConnectedDrive Portal www.bmwusa.com/MyBMWConnectedDrive.

~~~~~~~~~~
Why I don't see that number in portal:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:35 AM   #83
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019x5User View Post
While trying to sign up via myvehicle.att.com, it asks for my "Vehicle Mobile Number." Where can I find this information?
For vehicles equipped with Internet Hotspot, the vehicle mobile number can be found on the main status page of the My BMW ConnectedDrive Portal www.bmwusa.com/MyBMWConnectedDrive.

~~~~~~~~~~
Should be a link on the upper right above the Manage Vehicle link called View Vehicle Phone Number.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #84
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

Quote:
Quote:

~~~~~~~~~~
Should be a link on the upper right above the Manage Vehicle link called View Vehicle Phone Number.
No "View Vehicle Phone Number" on that page
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #85
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

~~~~~~~~~~
You'll need to call then. That's strange.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #86
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Access the page from a PC - not a mobile phone. You're seeing the mobile version of the site and it looks like it is omitted.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #87
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
I’ve been very confused over this whole WIFI thing, I in fact have a WIFI password, I called the genius to get some clarity and they set this up before I took delivery. Those waiting on your builds should request this be done before your delivery. Just wanted to let you all know.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #88
bimmerstyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I have requested a PUMA case to be submitted from the dealership to BMW for this so the service department foreman at the dealership is escalating that up to BMW for me and my CA. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.