07-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #23
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
why would you register it, it's not like the FCC is coming and looking.
Not worried about that and it seems I'm wrong, but I assumed the carrier would have to authorize it. Otherwise what is it doing, just spamming ATT/VZW/TMO/SPR signals to the cradle? I didn't notice any signal increases while parked, will see if anything changes "post registration".
      07-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #24
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Quote:
Not worried about that and it seems I'm wrong, but I assumed the carrier would have to authorize it. Otherwise what is it doing, just spamming ATT/VZW/TMO/SPR signals to the cradle? I didn't notice any signal increases while parked, will see if anything changes "post registration".
I do not believe your assumption is correct, I deal with Cell boosting units that are far more powerful then what BMW has installed, these types of boosters are active but they simply repeat what is sent/received, cell carriers are not able to detect nor authorize the unit to function. If the cars had mini cell sites built in it would be a different matter however that tech utilizes internet access along with cell transmitters.
Appreciate 2
timmahh480.00
      07-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #25
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I do not believe your assumption is correct, I deal with Cell boosting units that are far more powerful then what BMW has installed, these types of boosters are active but they simply repeat what is sent/received, cell carriers are not able to detect nor authorize the unit to function. If the cars had mini cell sites built in it would be a different matter however that tech utilizes internet access along with cell transmitters.
Cool, thanks. The actual manual filed with the FCC makes it sound like some providers will block it and you need their permission. Other parts of the manual indicate what you said, it's a booster and it's also cleaning the signal up.
      09-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #26
sjordan93436
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Question Active booster and Verizon

New 2020 X5. It says I need to activate and gives me a 20 plus serial number. After hours on Verizon and several call backs, I got to level 2 (yeah team go). they asked my for my MAC address of the booster. It must be on the booster buried in the console of the car. Serial number did not work.

Call BMW? I asked the tech guy at the dealer twice and he had no idea there was a booster or what the heck it does.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #27
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjordan93436 View Post
New 2020 X5. It says I need to activate and gives me a 20 plus serial number. After hours on Verizon and several call backs, I got to level 2 (yeah team go). they asked my for my MAC address of the booster. It must be on the booster buried in the console of the car. Serial number did not work.

Call BMW? I asked the tech guy at the dealer twice and he had no idea there was a booster or what the heck it does.
The only thing I'm seeing in the owner's manual (besides what's been posted) is this:
Booster Manufacturer: Kathrein Automotive
Model Number: LTECOMPB0
Part Number: 6803145-01
FCC-ID: 2ACC7LTECOMPB0
This manual appears to be for the -2 but maybe it's the same?

And given it doesn't seem to be a networked component, I don't think it would have a MAC address but

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-17-2020 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 04:00 PM   #28
sjordan93436
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Makes sense. Mac addresses can be and should be unique. But they are cloneable and spoofed. Cell phones regularly change Mac addresses to discourage tracking. I do not think Verizon would have a deny or allow list by Mac addresses.

Serial number? I don’t know how Verizon could use that.

I suspect that this is a FCC requirement. All transmitters need a license
However I suspect that no one registers. These have been in X5 for awhile, and tech support was clueless.

So.... place cell phone in cradle then it works. I will checks for bars on the phone white the car off and then on. There should be an improvement
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #29
GaryK4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i Tanzanite

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
I registered and it was a simple process.
      09-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #30
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjordan93436 View Post
Makes sense. Mac addresses can be and should be unique. But they are cloneable and spoofed. Cell phones regularly change Mac addresses to discourage tracking. I do not think Verizon would have a deny or allow list by Mac addresses.

Serial number? I don’t know how Verizon could use that.

I suspect that this is a FCC requirement. All transmitters need a license
However I suspect that no one registers. These have been in X5 for awhile, and tech support was clueless.

So.... place cell phone in cradle then it works. I will checks for bars on the phone white the car off and then on. There should be an improvement
This. FCC requires it, but your carrier and/or your service department may be clueless and frankly are unlikely to care. Registering does nothing except meet the - very - strictly legal requirements. I suspect 90% - or better - of cars on the road have unregistered units, and of those 90% - or better - are unaware there is even a requirement, or have read the manual. Mine is registered, but I had to explain it through several levels at AT&T. All my previous most recent cars with cell phone connectivity, which may or may not have had such a device, were never registered, and I don't recall a mention of it in any of their user manuals. I expect BMW is just being thorough.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #31
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

You can register online (US Carriers at any rate):

https://securec45.securewebsession.c...albooster.com/
https://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms...l-booster.html
https://www.t-mobile.com/support/cov...signal-booster

Also, if you remove the left rear panel cover (where a first aid kit would be), look up, you'll see the booster and the serial number on it. Just snap a pic.
      10-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #32
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
You can register online (US Carriers at any rate):

https://securec45.securewebsession.c...albooster.com/
https://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms...l-booster.html
https://www.t-mobile.com/support/cov...signal-booster

Also, if you remove the left rear panel cover (where a first aid kit would be), look up, you'll see the booster and the serial number on it. Just snap a pic.

Thanks for these links, I got an email from BMW reminding me about this, but does it actually boost signal, is this confirmed?
      10-26-2020, 09:56 PM   #33
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Thanks for these links, I got an email from BMW reminding me about this, but does it actually boost signal, is this confirmed?
I don’t think it actually boosts the signal significantly, but as others mentioned is just a repeater, that essentially provides the same signal you would have if your phone wasn't in a (mostly) metal, moving vehicle.
Appreciate 1
hyde488.00
      10-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #34
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, I registered mine per the info in the manual, but if you wander through the iDrive menus, it indicates an entirely different device than the manual says is in the vehicle. May be a running change.

In theory, having your phone in the carrier could give you a decent signal where you may not have one if the phone were elsewhere, say in your pocket down near the door or in a purse on the floor.

I just put in N/A on the serial number entry...nobody has given me any grief. Should you drive it into say Canada, you might have different results. Also, not sure what problems you might have if you lived in Europe and didn't register it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 04:42 PM   #35
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 sDrive 40i

Just picked my X6 and trying to figure out what registration actually does. Is it needed to function, or just a regulatory requirement? In other words, does registering cause the cell phone carrier to do something on their end that makes the booster actually work, or does it automatically work whenever you have a phone in the cradle, regardless of whether it’s registered or not? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #36
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillbimmer View Post
Just picked my X6 and trying to figure out what registration actually does. Is it needed to function, or just a regulatory requirement? In other words, does registering cause the cell phone carrier to do something on their end that makes the booster actually work, or does it automatically work whenever you have a phone in the cradle, regardless of whether it’s registered or not? TIA.
Regulatory requirement, works regardless of registration. Which, I would guess, is almost never done by owners in any car, and AFAIK, never checked, by anyone. An enthusiasts forum like this highlights its existence, but likely the average owner is unaware they even have a "booster."
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #37
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I also never knew this was "required". the paperwork when I purchased my 45e included the registration instructions.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #38
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In case anyone missed it:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...0_121&rgn=div8

Operant wording:

(f) Signal booster labeling requirements.
(1) Signal booster manufacturers, distributors, and retailers must ensure that all signal boosters marketed on or after March 1, 2014 include the following advisories:

(i) In on-line, point-of-sale marketing materials,

(ii) In any print or on-line owner's manual and installation instructions,

(iii) On the outside packaging of the device, and

(iv) On a label affixed to the device:

(A) For Consumer Signal Boosters:

(1) This is a CONSUMER device.

BEFORE USE, you MUST REGISTER THIS DEVICE with your wireless provider and have your provider's consent. Most wireless providers consent to the use of signal boosters. Some providers may not consent to the use of this device on their network. If you are unsure, contact your provider.

You MUST operate this device with approved antennas and cables as specified by the manufacturer. Antennas MUST be installed at least 20 cm (8 inches) from any person.

You MUST cease operating this device immediately if requested by the FCC or a licensed wireless service provider.

WARNING. E911 location information may not be provided or may be inaccurate for calls served by using this device.

Translation: registration is a requirement (US), Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Again, virtually unenforceable and I'll go out on a limb to say nobody cares. But I could be wrong.

Last edited by Paladin1; 02-21-2021 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #39
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. I’ll wager that most of the wireless cradles are being used before being registered anyway. I’m sure people go on test drives and salespeople are telling people to try their phone in the charger and see how great it is that you can charge your phone as you drive. Plus, when I picked up my car, no one at the dealership told me not to use the cradle until it was registered, so on the drive home, I naturally threw my phone in the tray. I’m sure most people do. It’s not until sometime later, when you read through the manual, or get the email welcoming you to Connected Drive that includes the attachment about registering (and also has the serial number to use), that people even know about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 10:29 AM   #40
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I tried to be a good citizen and register it with my carrier. After talking with 3 different agents, known of whom had ever heard of this, I finally gave up.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #41
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Interestingly enough, I'm taking a PCD of my new X7 tomorrow, and just received this document in the e-documents from my dealer:

Quote:
Registering your Signal Booster for use with Wireless Charging
Your car is equipped with Wireless Charging. To ensure the best possible connection between the Wireless
Charging pocket and the vehicle's antenna, a signal booster (i.e., Compensator) is used. This booster
enhances only the cellular reception of a phone that is placed in the Wireless Charging pocket, not other
phones that may be in the vehicle.
The following paragraphs refer to the booster (i.e., compensator):
This is a CONSUMER device, BEFORE USE, you MUST REGISTER THIS DEVICE with your wireless
provider and have your provider's consent. Most wireless providers consent to the use of
Compensators. Some providers may not consent to the use of this device on their network. If you
are unsure, contact your provider. You MUST operate this device with approved antennas and
cables as specified by the manufacturer. Antennas MUST be installed at least 20 cm (8 inches) from
any person. You MUST cease operating this device immediately if requested by the FCC or a
licensed wireless service provider.
WARNING. E911 location information may not be provided or may be inaccurate for calls served by using
this device.
WIRELESS PROVIDER REGISTRATION INFORMATION:
When asked, your unique Booster Serial Number is: (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)
. AT&T online registration link (https://securec45.securewebsession.c...albooster.com/)
. Sprint online registration link: (https://www.sprint.com/en/legal/signal-boosters)
. T-Mobile online registration link: (https://www.signalboosterregistration.com/)
. U.S. Cellular online registration link (http://www.uscellular.com/boosters).
. Verizon's online registration link:
(https://www.verizonwireless.com/solu...ignal-booster/).
If your wireless provider is not listed above, please contact your wireless provider for more information as
other wireless providers typically use one of the listed wireless providers. Some links may first require login
via the site. Please search for "Signal Booster Registration" on your wireless provider's site if the links
above are not working.
If you should be requested by the FCC to cease operating your booster you are not allowed to insert your mobile
phone in the charging tray anymore.
Do not remove the booster from the car and use it only with the pre-installed coupling device or
antenna. Any modification of the existing antenna or coupling device as well as the use of other
antennas or coupling devices will invalidate the booster's operating license.
The booster device fulfils the network protection standards as required by
the FCC, such as intermodulation limits, oscillation detection and gain limits.
Booster Manufacturer: Kathrein Automotive Model
Number: LTECOMPB0
Part Number: 6803145, 8735008
FCC-ID: 2ACC7LTECOMPB0
Booster Serial Number: (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX)
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2021, 03:38 PM   #42
Dwillbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Interestingly enough, I'm taking a PCD of my new X7 tomorrow, and just received this document in the e-documents from my dealer:
Got the same thing in an email welcoming me to ConnectedDrive. It’s also the only place that I’ve seen the serial number to use listed.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2021, 11:06 PM   #43
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Just registered with AT&T. Seemed to go fine. Will see if it works ok in the car
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 10:40 PM   #44
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Just registered with AT&T. Seemed to go fine. Will see if it works ok in the car
The thing will work without registering...it’s just that the FCC has regulations about certain types of transmitters that you must either have a license for, or properly register. Normally, it isn’t a big deal, but if there’s any interference or other issue, they need to know who to potentially go to to try to resolve the issue. Worst case, you don’t register, and the thing goes wonky...if it’s not registered, they might use a signal tracer and then, when they find you, without it being registered, you’d have an issue. The likelihood of it happening isn’t big, but it’s no big deal to actually register it, either!
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50