BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #221
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
Wow that's gonna look superb! Where did you source the calipers and rotors?
An eBay seller in Poland: "testcarsbmw"
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 08:02 PM   #222
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Wow didn't realize the calipers are that much bigger.

When i had a loaner X5 40i the braking sucked big time compared the X5M. It wasn't even in the same realm in the braking department.

One thing you might want to look into coding for the M brakes. When i modified my F15 X5 with the Mperformance brakes which were alot bigger than the stock brakes, they actually felt worst than stock. Pedal feel was soft as if there was air in the system. There is a specific coding procedure that needed to be done (i found out afterwards) that increases the master cylinder pressure to compensate for the larger calipers. Once i did the coding it felt as it should and braking improved dramatically. Just wondering if it is possible to code for X5M brakes on your M50i. worth looking into.
      10-13-2020, 11:45 PM   #223
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Wow didn't realize the calipers are that much bigger.

When i had a loaner X5 40i the braking sucked big time compared the X5M. It wasn't even in the same realm in the braking department.

One thing you might want to look into coding for the M brakes. When i modified my F15 X5 with the Mperformance brakes which were alot bigger than the stock brakes, they actually felt worst than stock. Pedal feel was soft as if there was air in the system. There is a specific coding procedure that needed to be done (i found out afterwards) that increases the master cylinder pressure to compensate for the larger calipers. Once i did the coding it felt as it should and braking improved dramatically. Just wondering if it is possible to code for X5M brakes on your M50i. worth looking into.
I plan to..... if it needs it.

I installed an Mperformance BBK on my 2014 328i several years ago, and after bleeding, they felt great, so I never bothered to have any coding done. I'll take the same approach this time I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #224
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

On my F15 bleeding didn't help. BMW instructions calls for coding to be done during install for that car and it was night and day difference from the moment i pulled out of my driveway. Pedal firmed up significantly right after coding.

Alan
      10-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #225
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
On my F15 bleeding didn't help. BMW instructions calls for coding to be done during install for that car and it was night and day difference from the moment i pulled out of my driveway. Pedal firmed up significantly right after coding.

Alan
I will definitely look into it. The G05 is brake-by-wire, so it makes sense that it would need to be coded to work for efficiently. However, I'm going from an already large 4-piston setup to a slightly larger 6-piston setup. It's not "that much" of an upgrade.

My 3 series, was completely hydrolic.... so it worked rather seamlessly when I installed a BBK
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #226
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Soooooooo....... I'm having a minor coronary.

The 6-piston BBK from an X5M that I bought??? Was removed from the donor car without the necessary attachment brackets. I didn't catch it before buying. G05 calipers bolt directly to the hub from the back...... F95 calipers bolt to a bracket from the top, which then bolts to the hub from the back.

BMW will not sell you those brackets by themselves.... they only come as part of the caliper. I went there today and asked them.

I've been emailing back and forth with the tro-nik folks in Russia all day (the most knowledgeable people in the world with regard to BMW braking systems), trying to come up with a solution. The only solution is to source an OEM F95 caliper bracket set.... or to send the whole BBK back to Poland.

F95 6-piston brakes and rotors are a direct fit on the G05.... but you MUST have those brackets that come on the F95.

The seller in Poland is "99% sure" he still has them..... but I won't know until tomorrow. He knows if he can't locate a set, them I'm going to have to re-package these monsters, and send them back to Poland..... and he's going to lose a $1600 sale.

****** fingers crossed******
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:46 PM   #227
BadBoostedBMWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e36m,F80,G80;TRX; 992 TTS; F95

Damn; very nice in so many aspects.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #228
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

By the grace of the car Gods...
Lots of help from this forum....
Tons of info from the Tro-Nik folks in Russia....
And my new best friends in Poland....

As of today, it's all here. Everything I need to retrofit an F95 X5M 6-piston BBK on to my car.

Calipers are getting the same gold epoxy coating as the previous ones..... but other than that, all I need is a reasonably sunny day, and a few hours of time to work..

6-piston F95 X5M calipers...... check
395mm F95 X5M drilled rotors...... check
OEM F95 X5M caliper brackets..... check
OEM F95 X5M M12 X 1.5 x 85mm caliper top bolts..... check
Attached Images

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 10-27-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2020, 01:09 AM   #229
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Normally, I would only recommend powder coating for calipers, but unfortunately, that's not an option here in Belgium. The price is 3-4x what it costs in the US, takes 5x as long, and the closest place I know of is 3 hours away.

Caliper paint sucks..... but this G2 stuff isn't really "paint", it's a dyed epoxy, and works quite well, so long as the surface is clean and rust free.

Takes about 6 coats to get proper coverage, and these calipers are so frickin big, that the epoxy started gelling up before I even finished....... which means a 2.5 week wait to get more in the mail. Uggh.

Finally..... I've got them looking good. Now I just need a clear sunny day to do the installation.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 11-20-2020 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 3
GlennC321.00
parkstr8562.00
      11-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #230
///Marko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 35d lci

Awesome car! I had to look the same backseat silencer kit to my X3 that you have in first page. Great to see some people appreciate the cd-player too.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #231
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
I did a couple of sets a few years back with G2. Used a Preval sprayer and they came out flawless.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 03:27 AM   #232
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
I did a couple of sets a few years back with G2. Used a Preval sprayer and they came out flawless.
I didn't spray, I just used a brush. They came out great.

I will say however, I screwed up the first caliper..... because I put it on too thick (like paint).... but it isn't paint, it's epoxy.... which means is "gels" and has a tendency to "droop" over time under it's own weight. I ended up having to sand down the first caliper I did because of that, and re-do.

The trick I think..... is super-light coats, and do about 6 of them. Super time-consuming.... cannot rush it. The final product however, is worth having patience for.

I was also smart this time..... I only mixed up a half-batch, finished coating..... and now I still have a half-batch left "just in case" I accidentally scratch one during the installation. These mofos are HUGE, and the chances of accidentally bumping them during installation is high.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 11-21-2020 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #233
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Are these a direct (ish) replacement from the factory calipers? I thought when swapping out bigger calipers you need to make sure that the area of the pistons are roughly the same. I'm assuming that's the case here?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 09:01 AM   #234
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Are these a direct (ish) replacement from the factory calipers? I thought when swapping out bigger calipers you need to make sure that the area of the pistons are roughly the same. I'm assuming that's the case here?
It's a whole F95 X5M Big brake kit.

Calipers, rotors, brackets, bolts...... everything
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #235
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Quote:
It's a whole F95 X5M Big brake kit.

Calipers, rotors, brackets, bolts...... everything
Yeah but if the area of the pistons is more or less that could effect the feel of the brakes if the stroke of the master cylinder can't handle it. So if you look at it this way... The simplified brake system is taking force (pushing on the pedal)and converting it is pressure (brakes). Pressure is force divided by area (pistons). If you want to keep the same pressure on the brake pads and you increase area of the pistons then that means you have to increase the amount of force on the pads. If you don't do that than your bigger brakes will have less grab than your smaller ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #236
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but if the area of the pistons is more or less that could effect the feel of the brakes if the stroke of the master cylinder can't handle it. So if you look at it this way... The simplified brake system is taking force (pushing on the pedal)and converting it is pressure (brakes). Pressure is force divided by area (pistons). If you want to keep the same pressure on the brake pads and you increase area of the pistons then that means you have to increase the amount of force on the pads. If you don't do that than your bigger brakes will have less grab than your smaller ones.
I see what you are asking.

Yes, theoretically you are correct. Larger calipers with larger piston diameters will require more pressure to accomplish the same thing.

However.... one could argue that because the PADS are larger, they will apply more stopping power with less force, counteracting the above principle.

The honest answer..... is that I don't know yet. Going from a 4-piston caliper to a 6-piston caliper isn't a "huge" amount of "increased fluid volume".

When I upgraded from single-piston calipers on my 2014 328i (base).... to a full M-performance BBK front and rear..... I didn't notice a thing.

Of course, that car wasn't brake-by-wire like ours are.

I may not even notice a difference. Maybe I will??

If I do.... I'll take it somewhere and have it coded for X5M brakes. Shouldn't be that tough. WORST case scenario..... I'll do a full brake fluid swap/bleed with Super blue..... that'll stiffen up the brakes on anything.

Only time will tell
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #237
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Quote:
I see what you are asking.

Yes, theoretically you are correct. Larger calipers with larger piston diameters will require more pressure to accomplish the same thing.

However.... one could argue that because the PADS are larger, they will apply more stopping power with less force, counteracting the above principle.

The honest answer..... is that I don't know yet. Going from a 4-piston caliper to a 6-piston caliper isn't a "huge" amount of "increased fluid volume".

When I upgraded from single-piston calipers on my 2014 328i (base).... to a full M-performance BBK front and rear..... I didn't notice a thing.

Of course, that car wasn't brake-by-wire like ours are.

I may not even notice a difference. Maybe I will??

If I do.... I'll take it somewhere and have it coded for X5M brakes. Shouldn't be that tough. WORST case scenario..... I'll do a full brake fluid swap/bleed with Super blue..... that'll stiffen up the brakes on anything.

Only time will tell
I bet the overall area is roughly the same going from 4 to 6.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:23 AM   #238
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
I bet the overall area is roughly the same going from 4 to 6.
Mmmmm.... hard to tell. The pistons appear to be about the same size, so theoretically, 6 pistons would use 1/3 more fluid volume than 4.

But... I'll.need to get the old calipers off first, and look at them side by side.

For now, all I have is this pic I took when they arrived:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #239
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

^^^^^^Monster calipers. Love your style, you certainly have a custom vehicle now my friend. Good job!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #240
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

And..... it's done. I "believe" I'm the first person to retrofit an X5M 6-piston big brake kit onto a G05.

Pedal feel..... absolutely do different
Braking feel...... absolutely no different
Looks/appearance? Different..... better.

Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Ehhh.... if nothing else, there's bragging rights I suppose.

Worthwhile note: If you're considering the same thing, make 100% SURE you buy a kit with calipers, rotors, caliper bolts, caliper brackets, and an OEM X5M brake wear indicator sensor.

Worthwhile note 2: The rotor locking bolts do not match up, so you cannot use one. No safety issues, but you need a centering bolt to line up the hub, rotor, and wheel. No need to remove dust shields. Brake lines match up with no issues as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 11-28-2020 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
CGJ999123.00
      11-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #241
Mjbmw1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Hey so with Military registration US Spec vehicles do not need to pass all EU requirements. I'm in Germany and G05 does not need rear fogs. Only German vehicles registered in Germany. US vehicles are inspected on Post and only registered on post. We just have to meet exhaust decibels which around 93 at 3000 rpm i think. We do not need cats or resonator. We can have cone filters but EU spec germans cannot not. We also don't go through TUV because the base has own inspection.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:51 PM   #242
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjbmw1 View Post
Hey so with Military registration US Spec vehicles do not need to pass all EU requirements. I'm in Germany and G05 does not need rear fogs. Only German vehicles registered in Germany. US vehicles are inspected on Post and only registered on post. We just have to meet exhaust decibels which around 93 at 3000 rpm i think. We do not need cats or resonator. We can have cone filters but EU spec germans cannot not. We also don't go through TUV because the base has own inspection.
I wish that were the case in Belgium. US spec cars ARE subjected to Belgian CT inspections, but only after they are 4 years old. Rear fogs are required here.... which is why it's so easy to spot an American here.... they all have those silly aftermarket foglights hanging off the bottom of the rear bumper.
Appreciate 0