BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-07-2020, 01:41 PM   #89
bmui1561
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05- 2021 BMW X5 x40i M-Sport

[IMG][/IMG]

Added the maxton design front lip. Fitment on mine was A++. Thanks for the informative instructuons and recommendations on this thread as the instructions that came with it were non existent
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Unit218.50
      02-14-2021, 12:14 AM   #90
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCaY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
Quote:
I did mine yesterday as well. Went different way. Used 1.5" construction grade clear 3M tape with 3M activator and put few SS #10 screws(don't use selftapers, they make to big hole in plastic. No washers or nuts needed. I had few body kits installed. I tried to remove it once on my 750i and it was almost impossible.
MaCay, just realized you have the rear splitter installed as well. How do you like it and was installation easy enough? Thinking of getting that as well now to even the front and back out
It was easier then front. Like i said. I didnt use any bolts and nuts. Just few SS screws and 3m tape. Just make sure to use some alcohol like 90% to clean and degrees area. I used a heat gon as well before applying tape. The 3M clear construction grade tape is so strong that u really got one chance to position it. What i did i took of only like 1" of red backing on two ends , position spoiler and then pull the rest. That 1" was holding whole spoiler no problem in air.
Are these #10 x 3/4" long or longer?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 04:56 PM   #91
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Does the gloss back get chipped/marked very easily after driving around and getting hit by pebbles/debris etc?

Also, is it really as simple as automotive tape and steel screws?? Wouldn't the screws back out a little with time and vibrations etc?

Is this stuff ok? https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-9088-Dou...56&sr=8-9&th=1

I'm considering the full Maxton set (just not the rear roof spoiler)

Last edited by IftiBashir; 02-14-2021 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #92
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I would consider protecting it with ppf by a good detailer or a minimum of multiple layers of ceramic coating.

Double sided tape helps with initial mounting especially if it's a one-person job, plus protects a bit from chafing. self-tapping screws could back out, therefore it's recommended to use some type of retaining nut.
Appreciate 1
Zz9290.00
      02-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #93
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
It was easier then front. Like i said. I didnt use any bolts and nuts. Just few SS screws and 3m tape. Just make sure to use some alcohol like 90% to clean and degrees area. I used a heat gon as well before applying tape. The 3M clear construction grade tape is so strong that u really got one chance to position it. What i did i took of only like 1" of red backing on two ends , position spoiler and then pull the rest. That 1" was holding whole spoiler no problem in air.
Any issues since using just screws and tape?

Also how are the side skirts installed? Same process or do they come with different hardware?

Last edited by IftiBashir; 02-18-2021 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #94
THATDONFC
Driver 🇦🇲
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

I'm almost wondering if this could be installed with the tape, 4 screws and 10 rivets.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #95
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05xdrive40I

hey how long was the screw that you used?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #96
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

These look great, going to order the front. It looks like the rear won't work with a factory hitch... but has anyone tried it? The company asked me to send them pictures which I just did but thought I check here as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 01:54 PM   #97
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Lots of folks were interested in this part, and in this company..... but very little information out there on them. I thought I'd post a thorough review for anyone that may be considering it.

Link: https://maxtondesign.com/product-eng...05-M-pack.html

Lip spoiler available in flat black, gloss black, and "Carbon look".
I chose gloss black to match the factory shadowline trim. It matches well. Total including shipping to Belgium was 200 Euro, or about $220.

Review:
Shipping quality - D
Shipping Timeliness - B
Instructions - D
Hardware - F
Required accessories - F
Quality of part - B
Finish of part - B
Fitment of part - A

Part came from Germany to Belgium (not far at all). Thin peel-off layer on part, thin plastic sheet covering it. Box was stretched. Virtually zero protection from damage. The hardware was floating around jingling, not even in a baggy. It's a miracle that there wasn't significant damage. There are a few very fine scratches though, but I believe I can get them out with a claybar.

Came with 14 allen bolts, 14 basic nuts, and 14 basic washers..... nothing else. It also came with a 3D Maxton Design sticker on it, dead center. I removed it immediately before it ever saw the sun. Came off clean with a little goo-gone.

It "should" have come with 14 standard bolts, 14 washers, and 14 NUTPLATES. It also should have come with double sided installation tape to secure it before you drill. It didn't. I had to acquire both. There is VERY little room for your fingers to attach nuts under the front bumper. I've been doing this 25 years... it was VERY tight. Nutplates are a NECESSITY before you begin.

Installation was easy..... with the right hardware (which it didn't come with). With the hardware included, it would have been nearly impossible.

Part feels solid and sturdy. Finish is good. Fitment is excellent.

I didn't want a carbon lip because I think they look gaudy, chincy, and obviously "aftermarket". I also didn't want one that came with "winglets" built in. This one, fit both bills, and I'm quite happy with the appearance and how it matches the styling without being too "obvious".... and I can't argue with the price either. The overall experience?? Ehhh... could be better. Could also be a lot more expensive too though.
Looks really nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:50 PM   #98
THATDONFC
Driver 🇦🇲
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Shipping quality - D
Shipping Timeliness - B
Instructions - D
Hardware - F
Required accessories - F
Quality of part - B
Finish of part - B
Fitment of part - A

Part came from Germany to Belgium (not far at all). Thin peel-off layer on part, thin plastic sheet covering it. Box was stretched. Virtually zero protection from damage. The hardware was floating around jingling, not even in a baggy. It's a miracle that there wasn't significant damage. There are a few very fine scratches though, but I believe I can get them out with a claybar.
Did your lip look anything like this when you opened the box?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #99
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey, Just curious where did you drill the screw at? I am trying to figure out the drill point. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #100
bimmerwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yup just remove that film and it will be clear
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #101
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Nice review. My neighbor purchased her car CPO with it already installed.

I'm lost mechanically past a screwdriver, has anyone had this professionally installed? I'm concerned if the directions and fittings are crap, that it will cost at least double the price of the splitter to install it.

I'm in the Tampa area if anyone knows a shop that may have experience with this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #102
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

I have been thinking of this one as well but I may go with the 3D designs one. Way more expensive but I like the look of it and it would come painted through IND.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 03:38 PM   #103
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Has anyone installed the Maxton kit - specifically the front lip and side skirts in their Carbon Fiber look? I have ordered the entire kit in the Carbon fiber look but their shipping delays are longggg and they have all the items in stock for Gloss black. I have a Carbon Metallic color on my G05 and my mirror caps are CF so I ordered the CF look for maxton kit thinking that it would tie in with the mirror caps that I have in CF but now I am being impatient lol.

Any pictures of CF look on a Carbon black X5?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #104
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Has anyone installed the Maxton kit - specifically the front lip and side skirts in their Carbon Fiber look? I have ordered the entire kit in the Carbon fiber look but their shipping delays are longggg and they have all the items in stock for Gloss black. I have a Carbon Metallic color on my G05 and my mirror caps are CF so I ordered the CF look for maxton kit thinking that it would tie in with the mirror caps that I have in CF but now I am being impatient lol.

Any pictures of CF look on a Carbon black X5?
I was able to get the Gloss black splitter in about 2 weeks from a local supplier.

The body shop is telling me they have to take off the front bumper to install it. One one hand I think it will ensure proper fitment of the splitter, on the other hand I'm not sure I want to remove the bumper for any issues with realignment on when they put it back on. This is out of my DIY capabilities. Should I get a second opinion?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #105
IrishSpuds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Series, Vette C6 GS, X5 M50i

Has anyone bought the maxon splitter from ECS Tuning? I am puzzled as to why so inexpensive and a little skeptical about purchasing. They seem reputable, but if it sounds too good to be true...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:31 PM   #106
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpuds View Post
Has anyone bought the maxon splitter from ECS Tuning? I am puzzled as to why so inexpensive and a little skeptical about purchasing. They seem reputable, but if it sounds too good to be true...
I haven't been to their site but if it's under $200, then good chance that's legit as that's the price on the Maxton site. it's not expensive though if you read through this entire thread, you'll know sometimes a crappy lip will get past quality control
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #107
IrishSpuds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3 Series, Vette C6 GS, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
I haven't been to their site but if it's under $200, then good chance that's legit as that's the price on the Maxton site. it's not expensive though if you read through this entire thread, you'll know sometimes a crappy lip will get past quality control
Thanks. They are quoting appx $140 + $30 shipping + tax. Struck me as a little too cheap, even for something uninfectious from China.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:46 PM   #108
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. They are quoting appx $140 + $30 shipping + tax. Struck me as a little too cheap, even for someone uninfectious from China.
ECS Tuning can price things lower up front but then charge a butt load on shipping. $30 is sus, but a pretty good deal if authentic. I just looked at the lip on their site; I don't know if it's the angle but it looks different than Maxton site though it does confirm fit for G05.

maybe worth a shot? can always contact them
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:37 PM   #109
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g05 45e

Can anyone who have installed this share where the drilling points should be?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:59 PM   #110
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
Can anyone who have installed this share where the drilling points should be?
Good luck getting an answer. I have asked a few questions here re: this lip install and it seems like other members are just here to post their installed pictures and that's it. I have even private messaged a couple of folks but still no luck!
Appreciate 0