BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Just arrived! Going to install it now. Will post more in a bit.

Edit: install is done, took a few hours.
Some notes:

-it's possible to do without removing the entire door panel (still remove all screws and pop it out, but it can remain attached at the window). I just worked from the bottom, sitting on the ground.

-the tweeter covers require you to sort of push down and slide in at the same time to ensure you catch them in the slots and minimize the gap

-the cover on the side of the door panels is stupid. I broke a clip on. Every. Single. One. Despite following bav's directions and removing them from the back

-definitely make sure you have an interior trim toolkit, a pick, and a right angle ratcheting driver (bav sells a kit with all of this, I happened to have some already minus the angle driver. Found it on amazon for $8).

I am happy with them. They're not louder of course (need an amp for that), but they are much clearer to me, especially at volume, and has good bass without being muddled.

Tl;dr if you have the base 10-speaker I recommend this upgrade. If I had HK I wouldn't have touched it, though some HK people upgrade as well and say it's great.
Attached Images

07-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #2
Mieleo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

nice! waiting to see the diffrent
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:55 PM   #3
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieleo View Post
Nothing different to see - just hear

(I didn't take any photos etc because there are a ton of photo comparisons of bav vs. stock speakers, and bav has an entire youtube video on replacing speakers in the G05).
      07-16-2020, 12:02 AM   #4
Mieleo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Quote:

(I didn't take any photos etc because there are a ton of photo comparisons of bav vs. stock speakers, and bav has an entire youtube video on replacing speakers in the G05).
How is sound?
Is it big difference?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 12:05 AM   #5
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How is sound?
Is it big difference?
I think the sound is much improved. It has more bass, but more than that it has more clarity. Whereas the factory speakers became muddy at volume, these seem to handle it well. If you turn the treble up too much it's almost ear piercing, so I've actually lowered both treble and bass with the bav speakers compared to the factory speakers. That said, my understanding is they need to break in a bit, so will likely continue to adjust the settings for a while. Overall I'm happy; the music has more depth compared to the stock speakers.
      07-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #6
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I finally installed my stage 1 this weekend. I was lucky, only breaking 1 door clip in the process. I'm glad Bavsound included some extra clips, 5 of them I think. I ended up taking the door panels completely off, taking my time and rewarded myself with a couple of beer breaks. I pretty much followed their instructions. I ended up dressing extra wire length with tie wraps but that isn't needed.

I agree, it's a nice improvement in the overall sound, especially the highs. They seem extended, more present and smoother. The sound enhancement isn't what I'd call dramatic but sure is enough to satisfy me. It would be nice to get a plug and play Amp upgrade too, maybe one of these days.
Appreciate 1
timmahh483.00
      10-27-2020, 01:28 PM   #7
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Just arrived! Going to install it now. Will post more in a bit.

Edit: install is done, took a few hours.
Some notes:

-it's possible to do without removing the entire door panel (still remove all screws and pop it out, but it can remain attached at the window). I just worked from the bottom, sitting on the ground.

-the tweeter covers require you to sort of push down and slide in at the same time to ensure you catch them in the slots and minimize the gap

-the cover on the side of the door panels is stupid. I broke a clip on. Every. Single. One. Despite following bav's directions and removing them from the back

-definitely make sure you have an interior trim toolkit, a pick, and a right angle ratcheting driver (bav sells a kit with all of this, I happened to have some already minus the angle driver. Found it on amazon for $8).

I am happy with them. They're not louder of course (need an amp for that), but they are much clearer to me, especially at volume, and has good bass without being muddled.

Tl;dr if you have the base 10-speaker I recommend this upgrade. If I had HK I wouldn't have touched it, though some HK people upgrade as well and say it's great.
What kind of door clips did you use for the door? I need to find some more but don't know which to get or where

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:31 PM   #8
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
What kind of door clips did you use for the door? I need to find some more but don't know which to get or where
The clips they supply they are fine. What I inadvertently broke, despite being extra careful, are the small pieces that cover the side screw hole, however, they are still holding in place despite losing one tab.
      10-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #9
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

I think the HK system is muddy. Clarity is the main thing the stock system needs. If Bavauto improves the clarity, then that's a good upgrade.
Appreciate 0