BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-12-2020, 11:20 PM   #1
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Exclamation Is sound quality worse with Wireless CarPlay? Does CarPlay use Bluetooth or Wifi?

Yes, we all know that sound quality is worse when you are using iDrive Bluetooth when compared to iDrive USB. The mids and highs clip, and the bass isn't as strong. This isn't BMWs fault as there are bandwidth issues with Bluetooth in general. It is well known.

My question pertains to Wireless Carplay. With the new BMWs, wired Carplay is not an option. I am under the impression that the phone communicates with the BMW via Wifi signal, so the audio quality should be perfect (as if it was wired). I just wanted to confirm that is the case? I don't think it uses Bluetooth because there is way too much data (phone, map, apps open, messages, etc.). It makes more sense that it uses WiFi. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have the Bowers and Wilkens Diamond Surround System and I just want to make sure I am getting the best sound. I live in Tennessee and BMW maps are just plain embarrassing over here (constantly takes the long routes and puts me on dead end roads) so I want to switch to using CarPlay exclusively if possible. Plus, Waze is free traffic cam info + mobile cops too It is sad I will lose the HUD directions but I guess its not the end of the world. The main decision maker here will be sound quality. If someone could answer the question, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 06:59 AM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

CarPlay uses Bluetooth to set up the connection between the phone and the vehicle and then it switches to use the WiFi for the actually functionality.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
CarPlay uses Bluetooth to set up the connection between the phone and the vehicle and then it switches to use the WiFi for the actually functionality.
Does this include streaming music to the cars sound system? Or does that continue to use Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:58 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkrups20056 View Post
Does this include streaming music to the cars sound system? Or does that continue to use Bluetooth.
All CarPlay traffic is wireless as far as I know. Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth to support the CarPlay traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 05:56 AM   #5
aesop_tortoise
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

CarPlay uses wifi to steam from your phone but is limited to CD quality audio (16bit/44.1kHz); still higher than Bluetooth quality. If you want the best audio quality for your system, you'd need to play music at 24bit/192kHz. That can only be achieved by using a USB to play directly from or to add your music to the car hard drive. Only FLAC and ALAC files support this. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 3
      08-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #6
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesop_tortoise View Post
CarPlay uses wifi to steam from your phone but is limited to CD quality audio (16bit/44.1kHz); still higher than Bluetooth quality. If you want the best audio quality for your system, you'd need to play music at 24bit/192kHz. That can only be achieved by using a USB to play directly from or to add your music to the car hard drive. Only FLAC and ALAC files support this. Hope that helps.
This is the answer I was looking for, thank you. I have a bunch of ALAC (converted from FLAC) files on my phone. 24/192 is achievable via USB iDrive you mean, correct? Also, mind showing me the source on this? I looked everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #7
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

If I connect my phone directly to the USB or USB-C port, will that supersede the wireless connection?

I don't believe it does, but I couldn't confirm it when I tested it out myself. I think once your phone is connected to wireless CarPlay then you plug your phone in, it maintains that wireless connection. Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #8
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
If I connect my phone directly to the USB or USB-C port, will that supersede the wireless connection?

I don't believe it does, but I couldn't confirm it when I tested it out myself. I think once your phone is connected to wireless CarPlay then you plug your phone in, it maintains that wireless connection. Can anyone confirm?
Yes my experience leads me to believe this is true.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2020, 05:46 AM   #9
aesop_tortoise
United_States
Rep

HiRes audio files higher than CD quality cannot be played wirelessly in the car. If your phone has those types of files, chances are you're not actually listening to them at that quality as you would need a HiRes DAC to plug into your phone. The same applies in the car (ie using wireless CarPlay or having it wired will give you the same max output at CD quality).

The only ways to get the file playing in your car uncompressed is to:
1. Plug your phone with a HiRes DAC.
2. Play directly via USB plugged into the car.
3. Transfer the files to the car HD since the car can play uncompressed files (FLAC etc).

I don't really have one source as this is just from me learning it over time but the most comprehensive source I've found is this: https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/h...u-need-to-know
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 11:43 PM   #10
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
HiRes audio files higher than CD quality cannot be played wirelessly in the car. If your phone has those types of files, chances are you're not actually listening to them at that quality as you would need a HiRes DAC to plug into your phone. The same applies in the car (ie using wireless CarPlay or having it wired will give you the same max output at CD quality).

The only ways to get the file playing in your car uncompressed is to:
1. Plug your phone with a HiRes DAC.
2. Play directly via USB plugged into the car.
3. Transfer the files to the car HD since the car can play uncompressed files (FLAC etc).

I don't really have one source as this is just from me learning it over time but the most comprehensive source I've found is this: https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/h...u-need-to-know
When you say "2. Play directly via USB plugged into the car" do you mean a USB stick, not a phone? If I play an lossless ALAC through the music app on my iPhone, connected via USB and playing via iDrive, I would need a DAC if the song was recorded in better than CD quality sound. Correct?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 01:10 AM   #11
aesop_tortoise
United_States
Rep

Yes, you would need to play through a USB stick.

The lightning connector the phone uses does not play higher than CD quality. So a DAC is required to play any HiRes song from your phone.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 01:12 AM   #12
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you would need to play through a USB stick.

The lightning connector the phone uses does not play higher than CD quality. So a DAC is required to play any HiRes song from your phone.
Any suggestions of a good in car DAC?

Also, most CD Quality FLACS are 16/44.1 anyways right? So lightning cable should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 01:23 AM   #13
aesop_tortoise
United_States
Rep

For the car, you're better off getting a USB stick (cheaper than DAC) and loading your songs on there. Either play them directly or transfer them to the car (which is what I do) and then you have your HiRes collection always available.

Most DAC only support a 3.5mm output (like a headphone jack) and so you couldn't use those. They're mainly used for listening to music on headphones.

Yeah the file type doesn't matter in the case where the quality is only at CD level. The lightning connector or wireless CarPlay will play up to that quality.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2020, 09:05 PM   #14
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
For the car, you're better off getting a USB stick (cheaper than DAC) and loading your songs on there. Either play them directly or transfer them to the car (which is what I do) and then you have your HiRes collection always available.

Most DAC only support a 3.5mm output (like a headphone jack) and so you couldn't use those. They're mainly used for listening to music on headphones.

Yeah the file type doesn't matter in the case where the quality is only at CD level. The lightning connector or wireless CarPlay will play up to that quality.
Am I able to format a portable hard drive (5 TB) and keep it in the center console hooked up to the USBC port with all my music for maximum fidelity? And if I can, is this music still playable with CarPlay enabled?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Am I able to format a portable hard drive (5 TB) and keep it in the center console hooked up to the USBC port with all my music for maximum fidelity? And if I can, is this music still playable with CarPlay enabled?
Things may have changes with the recent updates but there was a maximum for the USB drives that could be used, I think it was 256GB but I'm sure someone will update if incorrect.

CarPlay would not have any effect on playing music from the X5's drive of a USB drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #16
aesop_tortoise
United_States
Rep

I don't see a reason why the size of a hard drive would impact playability via USB. The car's DAC is not related to what hard drive you use to play music. You can use a 1gb hard drive or a 5tb one and theoretically it shouldn't matter.

This has nothing to do with CarPlay which plays music directly from your iPhone wirelessly.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #17
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I don't see a reason why the size of a hard drive would impact playability via USB. The car's DAC is not related to what hard drive you use to play music. You can use a 1gb hard drive or a 5tb one and theoretically it shouldn't matter.

This has nothing to do with CarPlay which plays music directly from your iPhone wirelessly.
BMW might have a USB size limit.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #18
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Carplay uses ALAC for media streaming
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 12:42 AM   #19
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
Do you have a source?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 12:45 AM   #20
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have a source?
It's in the car play sdk docs from the Apple developer portal
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 12:51 AM   #21
superkrups20056
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have a source?
So if you try to play lossy music it packages it into an ALAC container, sends it over to the BMW and plays it? So there's no quality loss of the original track? Because ALAC over WiFi should really mean lossless streaming over CarPlay.

I have a bunch of FLACs that I converted to ALAC via DBPoweramp. This should be equivalent to streaming via USB cable (provided the original track is 44/16)?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 12:52 AM   #22
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have a source?
So if you try to play lossy music it packages it into an ALAC container, sends it over to the BMW and plays it? So there's no quality loss of the original track? Because ALAC over WiFi should really mean lossless streaming over CarPlay.

I have a bunch of FLACs that I converted to ALAC via DBPoweramp. This should be equivalent to streaming via USB cable (provided the original track is 44/16)?
Yes exactly!

This is also how their AirPods work, Alac is used as the transport medium
Appreciate 0