themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGetGriff View Post
Why is everyone so hypercritical and salty about Doug?
They are jealous because he gets to drive some very nice cars
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:05 PM   #24
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
That was the shortest test drive review ever lol, but still interesting to watch. I was surprised that the acceleration of 0-60 in 3.8 seconds only earned an 8/10 score. Pretty high standards these days.
I'm sorry but his score scale is so off. It drives me crazy how he scores cars it makes no sense most of time.
Yeah he says wow this is so quick , but I give it a 7/10
Appreciate 1
rjd5981769.50
      10-28-2020, 11:11 PM   #25
GoGetGriff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm jealous too! Lol
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      10-28-2020, 11:12 PM   #26
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm jealous too! Lol
I see you are kinda in his neighborhood
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #27
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That was the shortest test drive review ever lol, but still interesting to watch. I was surprised that the acceleration of 0-60 in 3.8 seconds only earned an 8/10 score. Pretty high standards these days.
I'm sorry but his score scale is so off. It drives me crazy how he scores cars it makes no sense most of time.
At one point in the video he also makes some silly statements about the Cayenne. Unless it's a GTS or Turbo, the Cayenne is just as much a mommy soccer car as the standard versions of the X5. In fact, the 40i X5 would run circles around the Standard Cayenne.
themnmd1687.00
MystroX56246.00
      10-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #28
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Is that why? Because I'd so much rather Mat from Carwow (along with countless other YT channels) ever day of the week.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
AndrewC198910903.50
      10-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #29
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:
Is that why? Because I'd so much rather Mat from Carwow (along with countless other YT channels) ever day of the week.
They all seem to drive nearly the same cars within a week or so
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #30
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Absolutely, but the reason I like other channels is because you can tell they have some semblance of being able to drive a car aggressively, and tell me about how the car feels. I have no interest in listening to someone talking about sunshades and what the buttons look like on the HVAC controls.

The channels I really like are Carwow, the Straightpipers and Harry's Garage. These guys all geek out over the car, but there's just way more substance to their reviews than Doug.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #31
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I like Doug's reviews sometimes. You have to take it for mindless entertainment and not really for factual information. Its something i can leave on while while working or half paying attention to. I wouldn't watch all of his content though. Its dependent on what car he's reviewing.
      10-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #32
darkbro66
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 SO/CB M3

Quote:
Quote:
In general his scores are arbitrary, but I do find it a little funny that this complaint is about the one score that he does actually give a numerical scale to lol. under 3.0 seconds 0-60 is a 10 I believe
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #33
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I watch a lot of Doug's reviews. I watch it for views of the interior and exterior of the car and not so much his take on it. What you need to know about Doug is that he is very partial to British and Ford cars (because he owned many of them). He also likes to generalize about models from his point of view and stereotypes them from his priorities. I hate estate wagons, he loves them. He loves Range Rovers and my ownership experience has been pure hell with them. He is far from a authority on the automobile but rather is carving out a living reviewing them rather than spending his own money which is a huge difference. He is just a enthusiast and nothing more.

Oddly enough, he decided buying a Kia was good idea where I would go berserk if my dealer ever gave me a Kia as a loaner car so his judgment is not on the same page from what I look for. He is entertaining and funny and the car content is good.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #34
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
It's not just the speed it's just strange how he compares/grades vehicles.

Cool factor: Bentley>X5M...Really?
Value: All 6's. Definitely makes sense.
Practical: All 8's. Again makes so much sense.
Handling: To him a Urus and E63 wagon are the same. Just going to guess that can't be true, but someone who has driven both can weigh in.

I completely understand these are subjective, but shit some of these are just wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:20 PM   #35
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

This guys voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Years ago he was entertaining with the Carmax Range Rover videos, but once he started that lame scoring system he lost me.
      10-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #36
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:
Absolutely, but the reason I like other channels is because you can tell they have some semblance of being able to drive a car aggressively, and tell me about how the car feels. I have no interest in listening to someone talking about sunshades and what the buttons look like on the HVAC controls.

The channels I really like are Carwow, the Straightpipers and Harry's Garage. These guys all geek out over the car, but there's just way more substance to their reviews than Doug.
I watch them all too. Reviews from many perspectives
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:28 PM   #37
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It's not just the speed it's just strange how he compares/grades vehicles.

Cool factor: Bentley>X5M...Really?
Value: All 6's. Definitely makes sense.
Practical: All 8's. Again makes so much sense.
Handling: To him a Urus and E63 wagon are the same. Just going to guess that can't be true, but someone who has driven both can weigh in.

I completely understand these are subjective, but shit some of these are just wrong.
Yes a Bentley is way cooler than any Bmw
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      10-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #38
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
At one point in the video he also makes some silly statements about the Cayenne. Unless it's a GTS or Turbo, the Cayenne is just as much a mommy soccer car as the standard versions of the X5. In fact, the 40i X5 would run circles around the Standard Cayenne.
Not true at all. Sure the Cayenne, especially in base form, looks like any other crossover blob mommy mobile. But drive it side by side with any of its competitors and the difference is clear.

The X5 40i is a nice car but it's unacceptable if you enjoy the act of driving. Everything about the car is numb, squishy, and floaty. The Porsche couldn't be further from it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:39 PM   #39
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

His voice is a bit off putting, but I find his reviews amusing. Some of it is actually helpful. I like what when he talks about what's weird or off with a car, similar to Mat's (Carwow) 5 Best/5 Worst things. Those oddities that they point out often matter a lot to me and I can write off a certain car if they have something weird that happens to be a major pain point for me.

The CarWow guy is my favorite, but I generally find the major reviewers to all be helpful in some way. And a lot of them put out videos around the same time b/c they all go to the same events where they review a car, have to wait until the embargo on releasing reviews is lifted, then they all publish around the same time. If you watch enough videos, you can tell which ones were sponsored by the manufacturer b/c the general scenery is the same. Redline and Alex on Autos make it the most obvious/don't hide it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:25 AM   #40
TheStanman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 992 C2S

His ratings are pretty objective. Acceleration is a numerical scale and not adjusted for the type of car. Yes, <3 seconds is a 10.

Quote:
You expect the Urus or E63 to handle better? If Lamborghini can make an SUV handle as well as an AMG car, that's a win. And I think most would agree a Bentley is cooler than any BMW.

His reviews are by no means enthusiast-oriented. I go elsewhere to assess how a car drives. I agree his reviews are best for old cars. It's cool to see such a detailed flashback to a different time.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #41
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Not true at all. Sure the Cayenne, especially in base form, looks like any other crossover blob mommy mobile. But drive it side by side with any of its competitors and the difference is clear.

The X5 40i is a nice car but it's unacceptable if you enjoy the act of driving. Everything about the car is numb, squishy, and floaty. The Porsche couldn't be further from it.

Have you driven a base model Cayenne? There is nothing magical or “Porsche” about it. The BMW 40i equipped with the M-Sport package is none of those you mentioned. It’s no DHP but it does a great job of tightening up the overall feel of the 40i.

Porsche SUV’s have been advertised and marketed from day one that they have the same feel/handling and attributes as a 911. This was to give the Cayenne more perceived status so it wouldn’t fall by the way like the 944/968. Porsche couldn’t let the Cayenne fail so they would do and say anything to sell them. (here lies the rub and the unforgivable line that was crossed to their Porsche community)

I was at the launch of the very first Cayenne to the PCA for the very first test drives. It was laughable after our test drives and we came away disgusted Porsche would even attempt to market the Cayenne any way attached to the 911 and it’s handling. It’s not that the SUV Cayenne was a bad SUV but to make the connection to the 911 was insulting and devalues their own 911 historical achievements just to sell a completely unrelated vehicle seemed so disingenuous.

Porsche has continued to associate their SUV’s with their sports cars trying to blur the lines that all Porsche vehicles contain the 911 DNA magic and status.
They still are not even in the same zip code and is a “feel good” attempt for Porsche SUV owners to believe their SUV has captured the Porsche 911 experience. Ridiculous. Porsche marketing 101 to those who drinks their Koolaid as the gospel truth. The Porsche community wouldn’t have pushed back against the Porsche SUV family if Porsche would have just marketed the vehicle as its own creation and not make so many associations to their sports cars.

Most people have no idea of the back story or Porsche marketing crap that surrounds the Cayenne. It was a crap mess and the automotive media wants to gloss over it or even rewrite history surrounding the Cayenne. I have 30+ years of 911 ownership and PCA experience.
Remember, BMW actually invented the German luxury performance SUV category with the X5.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-30-2020 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #42
Crumbs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M Mineral White

I enjoy doug vids, he took too long to put this one out but overall a very good review of a very good car
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #43
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Remember, BMW actually invented the German luxury performance SUV category with the X5.
Wasn't the ML55 AMG first technically? The first luxury SUV to wear a performance moniker.
      10-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #44
schaeffs888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d // BMW M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Have you driven a base model Cayenne? There is nothing magical or “Porsche” about it. The BMW 40i equipped with the M-Sport package is none of those you mentioned. It’s no DHP but it does a great job of tightening up the overall feel of the 40i.

Porsche SUV’s have been advertised and marketed from day one that they have the same feel/handling and attributes as a 911. This was to give the Cayenne more perceived status so it wouldn’t fall by the way like the 944/968. Porsche couldn’t let the Cayenne fail so they would do and say anything to sell them. (here lies the rub and the unforgivable line that was crossed to their Porsche community)

I was at the launch of the very first Cayenne to the PCA for the very first test drives. It was laughable after our test drives and we came away disgusted Porsche would even attempt to market the Cayenne any way attached to the 911 and it’s handling. It’s not that the SUV Cayenne was a bad SUV but to make the connection to the 911 was insulting and devalues their own 911 historical achievements just to sell a completely unrelated vehicle seemed so disingenuous.

Porsche has continued to associate their SUV’s with their sports cars trying to blur the lines that all Porsche vehicles contain the 911 DNA magic and status.
They still are not even in the same zip code and is a “feel good” attempt for Porsche SUV owners to believe their SUV has captured the Porsche 911 experience. Ridiculous. Porsche marketing 101 to those who drinks their Koolaid as the gospel truth. The Porsche community wouldn’t have pushed back against the Porsche SUV family if Porsche would have just marketed the vehicle as its own creation and not make so many associations to their sports cars.

Most people have no idea of the back story or Porsche marketing crap that surrounds the Cayenne. It was a crap mess and the automotive media wants to gloss over it or even rewrite history surrounding the Cayenne. I have 30+ years of 911 ownership and PCA experience.
I totally agree on this - I was deciding on a Cayenne vs X5 recently so drove a number of different E3 Cayenne's. The steel sprung one's were pretty average and felt like a fairly basic SUV - certainly not as good as my F15 M50d handling wise. The air suspension cars do up the ante - but back to back with a 2-axle air X5 I drove there wasn't night and day in it and certainly not the difference that some motoring journalists make out. The DHP cars and the X5M are both as good if not a better steer than even the Turbo (I found the Turbo S excessively heavy - particularly noticeable under braking) but they are firmer. I prefer firmer...
Appreciate 1
MystroX56246.00