10-26-2020, 02:37 AM   #23
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Well i can hear it from inside my house with my tv on and windows shut. It doesn't always last to long but it can go from 5min to atleast 30min of fighting typically multiple times a week. I have to get up for work at 4am so i normally go to bed around 9pm and there's been days their fighting has been later on and prevented me from sleeping.

I think i am gonna call the police next time it happens. Would i call 911 or the non emergency line?
Non emergency line. It will be dispatched to us as a family disturbance call.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      10-26-2020, 06:16 AM   #24
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
I’m am beyond fed up at this point. It is almost everyday that my neighbors decide to fight and have a screaming match in their front yard. I’m not looking to cause more problems as i dont want to have problems with my neighbors. However i’m about to the point of calling the cops.
What would you do?
It’s about like having the jerry springer show at my doorstep everyday
BTDT. Call the police every single time.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 06:53 AM   #25
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Are cold, frosty adult beverages being imbibed before these altercations? Would public intoxication be an avenue for LEO to break up a non-physical spat?????
      10-26-2020, 07:01 AM   #26
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
So would it be worth calling? I mean if nothing is going to happen i dont want to waste an officers time.

As far as i can tell no alcohol is involved. It mostly seems to be the female who owns the house that initiates the fights.
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:09 AM   #27
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

pray for them

ask god to provide them with the peace that passes understanding

send positive energy their way since they are lacking it.

this seems like adults crying for help to me... maybe even write them a letter explaining how their actions are causing a disruption to the neighborhood.

sometimes it's the least obvious solutions that work

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #28
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
My thoughts are.....

...let the involved parties initiate police contact if there's nothing physical occurring. A lot of the time we get informants calling who want to remain anonymous and we arrive to find that it's verbal only. We can't force people to leave toxic situations, so if it hasn't risen to the level of corporal injury upon a spouse/co-habitant (...or at least a misdemeanor level DV act), there really isn't anything law enforcement can do.

I know it's frustrating, but you run the risk of retaliation should they believe you had something to do with the police contacting them. That, or further frustration when we arrive and determine there's no crime (...and the arguments continue).
Does OP’s city have quiet hours? If so, could LEO do something with loud arguments happening beyond the cutoff?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #29
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

The problem with that is the fights are at random hours sometimes it’s in the afternoon sometimes its late at night
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #30
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I live in a high rise condo and have this problem every month or so with a couple down the hall. I give them about an hour to reach some sort of conclusion but if it's escalating or nearing my bed time I will walk down the hall bang on their door and tell them to "knock it off". That usually quiets them down.

Occasionally I've ridden the elevator down with them and their sheepish expressions indicate they know their being one of "those" couples.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #31
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Just go out and start openly filming them. Maybe they will realize how stupid they look. Better yet - get some other neighbors in on it too. I'm sure they are sick of it too. Think how stupid you would feel if you were out showing your ass and turned around to 4-5 neighbors all filming you.
      10-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #32
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
I’m am beyond fed up at this point. It is almost everyday that my neighbors decide to fight and have a screaming match in their front yard. I’m not looking to cause more problems as i dont want to have problems with my neighbors. However i’m about to the point of calling the cops.
What would you do?
Have a lawn chair and a movie theater tub of popcorn at the ready. Just post up and watch.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614883.50
      10-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #33
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
So would it be worth calling? I mean if nothing is going to happen i dont want to waste an officers time.
If you want it to stop call the police every single time. They will get tired of coming out and start to look for reasons to arrest these people. Again, I have literally walked in your shoes. Do not hesitate to call the police, it's what they are there for. You are not wasting their time.

As others have mentioned, do not get involved. Do not engage them, do not record them, etc. Call the police, report the issue to dispatch, and let the system do its job.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #34
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
pray for them

ask god to provide them with the peace that passes understanding

send positive energy their way since they are lacking it.

this seems like adults crying for help to me... maybe even write them a letter explaining how their actions are causing a disruption to the neighborhood.

sometimes it's the least obvious solutions that work
Yea and put on Our House by CSNY

10-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #35
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
I think that is a horrible idea. Anybody who does that is looking to end up in the hospital or worse. DO NOT get involved with people's domestic issues. People get shot over shit like that. Maybe you're eager to be the recipient of somebody's 9mm rounds?!?! Shrug.
Good point lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #36
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
What would you do?
Joke answer: Go buy two M badges, one for each of their cars. Stick the purchased badges on each of their trunks when they are not around. When they see them, they will quit fighting and proudly cruise around in their cars instead.

Real response: This is a tough situation. As someone else said, this can escalate quickly. I'd give it a week with your window closed so you don't have to hear it so loud an maybe it dies down on its own with no action on your part. If not and the noise remains unbearable, call the police and just say you are concerned.

Do you know either one of them? If so, maybe talk to them in the morning when they are not amped up.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #37
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Start cleaning your car, preferably with a gas-powered power washer every time they start fighting. What is this noise you speak of?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #38
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Are cold, frosty adult beverages being imbibed before these altercations? Would public intoxication be an avenue for LEO to break up a non-physical spat?????
We could go the public intoxication route, but they would need to be on their lawn/outdoors AND intoxicated to such a degree that they can't exercise care or concern for their own safety or the safety of others (...e.g...piss poor drunk, stumbling, etc.). This wouldn't apply to the person who had a few drinks. Additionally, I/we would have a hard time justifying arresting somebody on their lawn or front porch even if they were intoxicated, especially because they can walk 10 ft. and be inside of their home.

Quote:
Quote:

As far as i can tell no alcohol is involved. It mostly seems to be the female who owns the house that initiates the fights.
You can call. It's what we're paid to investigate, even if it's stupid relationship drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Quote:
My thoughts are.....

...let the involved parties initiate police contact if there's nothing physical occurring. A lot of the time we get informants calling who want to remain anonymous and we arrive to find that it's verbal only. We can't force people to leave toxic situations, so if it hasn't risen to the level of corporal injury upon a spouse/co-habitant (...or at least a misdemeanor level DV act), there really isn't anything law enforcement can do.

I know it's frustrating, but you run the risk of retaliation should they believe you had something to do with the police contacting them. That, or further frustration when we arrive and determine there's no crime (...and the arguments continue).
Does OP's city have quiet hours? If so, could LEO do something with loud arguments happening beyond the cutoff?
Most cities have quiet hours; usually after 10pm. Even then it's just a citation. Nobody is going to jail over loud noise.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614883.50
      10-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #39
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Easy.

Next time you see one of them just casually stroll over and say "I overheard your conversation outside the other night and I can't help but agree with what [the opposite person] said about that, maybe you should listen to them. I'm always here to help".

Pro: They will not fight outside anymore, or at least at a volume that you will hear.

Con: They will consider you to be a creepy neighbor.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #40
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Easy.

Next time you see one of them just casually stroll over and say "I overheard your conversation outside the other night and I can't help but agree with what [the opposite person] said about that, maybe you should listen to them. I'm always here to help".

Pro: They will not fight outside anymore, or at least at a volume that you will hear.

Con: They will consider you to be a creepy neighbor.
Con-Con: "Why don't you mind your own fucking business or else?!?"

Yeah, just stay out of it.
Appreciate 4
RickFLM410879.00
vreihen1614883.50
premier3is1627.00
MKSixer34171.50
      10-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #41
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I live in a high rise condo and have this problem every month or so with a couple down the hall. I give them about an hour to reach some sort of conclusion but if it's escalating or nearing my bed time I will walk down the hall bang on their door and tell them to "knock it off". That usually quiets them down.

Occasionally I've ridden the elevator down with them and their sheepish expressions indicate they know their being one of "those" couples.
Dude! How come I've never seen you on this forum before?
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410879.00
      10-26-2020, 04:30 PM   #42
AnOldBiker
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 XDrive 40i

Bout 15 years ago I had that problem. Late at night I put a letter in their mailbox saying if this disturbing the peace continues, the cops will be called. No name, no indication of who wrote it.

The next day, after they were at it 15 to 20 minutes, I called the cops. They next day someone else called. The day after another called. In a short period of time ..... they stopped yelling outside.

I asked the cops, and they said I can request my name not be mentioned, and it wasn't. Ask, it could be the same at your place.

Disturbing the peace has no established hours.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #43
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
We could go the public intoxication route, but they would need to be on their lawn/outdoors AND intoxicated to such a degree that they can't exercise care or concern for their own safety or the safety of others (...e.g...piss poor drunk, stumbling, etc.). This wouldn't apply to the person who had a few drinks. Additionally, I/we would have a hard time justifying arresting somebody on their lawn or front porch even if they were intoxicated, especially because they can walk 10 ft. and be inside of their home.

You can call. It's what we're paid to investigate, even if it's stupid relationship drama.

Most cities have quiet hours; usually after 10pm. Even then it's just a citation. Nobody is going to jail over loud noise.
I would think a citation would at least have some probable impact for them to knock it off if they're violating quiet hours. Also wouldn't a disturbing the peace be another violation that could be leveraged if they're doing it during non quiet hours?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #44
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
Bout 15 years ago I had that problem. Late at night I put a letter in their mailbox saying if this disturbing the peace continues, the cops will be called. No name, no indication of who wrote it.

The next day, after they were at it 15 to 20 minutes, I called the cops. They next day someone else called. The day after another called. In a short period of time ..... they stopped yelling outside.

I asked the cops, and they said I can request my name not be mentioned, and it wasn't. Ask, it could be the same at your place.

Disturbing the peace has no established hours.
It can. It depends on city [noise] ordinances. While there's no specificity in the California Penal Code, most cities have some sort of noise ordinance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:

I would think a citation would at least have some probable impact for them to knock it off if they're violating quiet hours. Also wouldn't a disturbing the peace be another violation that could be leveraged if they're doing it during non quiet hours?
There's a component of 415 PC that references willful disturbance, BUT it has to be malicious in nature. Two people arguing does not satisfy that component of the statute.
Appreciate 0