BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
TxPres8th
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Creaky Braking

Picked up my 2021 BMW X5 xDrive40i last week. I noticed that whenever I am braking at low speeds (stop light, traffic, etc) or letting of the brake at slow speed there is a creaking sound (errrr).

Anyone else experience something similar or should I be dropping it back off at the dealer saying "Fix this now!". I hate to be without the car so soon but it just seems like the noise shouldn't be there.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxPres8th View Post
Picked up my 2021 BMW X5 xDrive40i last week. I noticed that whenever I am braking at low speeds (stop light, traffic, etc) or letting of the brake at slow speed there is a creaking sound (errrr).

Anyone else experience something similar or should I be dropping it back off at the dealer saying "Fix this now!". I hate to be without the car so soon but it just seems like the noise shouldn't be there.

Thoughts?
I have something similar. I believe that's just the brake pads slowly sliding off of the brake rotor. This is common on every vehicle I've owned. I believe it's related to how slowly you ease off the brake pedal or how slowly you come to a stop. All based on pressure exerted on the brake pedal.

Is it more of a creaking sound or squealing sound? You could also have rock or some other debris stuck between the rotor and break pads.

Are you using the auto hold feature when this happens?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #3
Nooch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxPres8th View Post

Thoughts?
Which brakes do you have? Standard or M Sport brakes?
      10-27-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
TxPres8th
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I have something similar. I believe that's just the brake pads slowly sliding off of the brake rotor. This is common on every vehicle I've owned. I believe it's related to how slowly you ease off the brake pedal or how slowly you come to a stop. All based on pressure exerted on the brake pedal.

Is it more of a creaking sound or squealing sound? You could also have rock or some other debris stuck between the rotor and break pads.

Are you using the auto hold feature when this happens?
It's a creaking sound. Not a squeal like old brakes.

And I was not using Auto Hold (which I didn't even know about until I googled it just now).
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
TxPres8th
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Which brakes do you have? Standard or M Sport brakes?
Standard Brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I find the auto hold a fantastic function, and run with it all of the time. It essentially puts the parking brake on automatically once you come to a full stop, and automatically releases it when you hit the accelerator. No accidental creeping at a light, or on a steep hill from a stop

It can take 300+ miles for the pads to properly bed to the rotors, and in those first miles, you want to avoid riding them down a long hill, or excessive pressure. Depending on how much you drive, how wet it is, the rotors can get a layer of light rust on them, and that can make some noises.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
TxPres8th
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
I find the auto hold a fantastic function, and run with it all of the time. It essentially puts the parking brake on automatically once you come to a full stop, and automatically releases it when you hit the accelerator. No accidental creeping at a light, or on a steep hill from a stop

It can take 300+ miles for the pads to properly bed to the rotors, and in those first miles, you want to avoid riding them down a long hill, or excessive pressure. Depending on how much you drive, how wet it is, the rotors can get a layer of light rust on them, and that can make some noises.
I'll give it a couple weeks and take it in if I don't see an improvement. I tried the Auto Hold yesterday. Not sure what situation I would use it in except dead stop traffic.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Auto hold comes into play when stopped at a light. It lets you relax a bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:27 AM   #9
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Auto hold comes into play when stopped at a light. It lets you relax a bit.
Waiting in a queue at McDonalds, picking up the kids from school, truly stop & go traffic, line for concert tickets (maybe not today). I found lots of uses.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #10
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

How many miles have you done? New brakes need a few hundred miles to bed in.

I wouldn't be concerned until they are bed, if they still make the noise then take it back.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #11
TxPres8th
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
How many miles have you done? New brakes need a few hundred miles to bed in.

I wouldn't be concerned until they are bed, if they still make the noise then take it back.
I'm at 325 miles. Noticing it a bit less but it's still there. I picked up the vehicle with 7 miles on it.
Appreciate 0